(Topic ID: 164825)

Worst excuse for negotiating a price downward

By Mr68

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jerry_(resized).jpg
    I_see_what_you_did_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

"I don't mean to insult you, but would you take $900 for that game you have listed for $2400?"

There are plenty of games listed for $2,400 that are only worth $900.

If it was a screaming deal at $2,400 you wouldn't still have it, would you?

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

It all comes down to if the buyer is trying to knock the price below what is standard for the condition

Meh.

There is no "standard for the condition."

In any negotiation for any specific piece of property there is only a buyer and a seller, and if they meet in an agreeable place for funds to change hands for property, then it does. You can point to "standard" all you want but if this claim was anything other than smoke you wouldn't have a machine for sale, you'd have a wad of cash in your hand "on demand" and wouldn't have a machine to sell any more. That you don't is proof that what is claimed as "standard" is in fact no such thing; it is simply an offer, looking for a matching bid.

Sales of single items are almost never ongoing relationships; they're one-time transactional negotiations. If either side loses sight of this fact they're doing *themselves* a disservice.

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Now, some of you can take umbrage if you are trying to sell a pin and you get a buyer who is hitting you with hard questions and thoughts on the phone about his costs of transport, but transport is a fact of life. But you might count your self lucky that you own a pin that someone would even bother to call about. And if you paid too much when you bought it, or the market moved against you, that is not my concern.

Yep.

But the idea of the "market moving against someone" is balderdash. This isn't a stock, where every share is identical to every other and there's a daily auction for hours of every weekday with settlement on defined rules. If you had a "market price" on it you wouldn't own it any more.

Pins are more akin to boats. There's no "market price" for a particular boat either because most were made in quite-limited quantity, nearly ALL were made by hand, and all have seen varied lives. Like a pinball machine.

They are bought and sold every day, but that you got $X for one does not mean that the same make, model and year will sell for $X tomorrow.

It almost-certainly will not.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Using your logic, wouldn't the Pinside Marketplace be misnamed? What about Flea Markets? Just because we are not talking about listed securities or pink sheet stuff doesn't mean these is no market for pinball machines, IMO. Actually, I think I could argue that pinball machines are close cousins to the pink sheet stocks--thinly traded with with wide spreads
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market?page=12

Naw, not any more than Yachtworld's kissing cousin "soldboats" is evidence of a "market price" for boats.

Like a boat pins are bespoke when you get down to it, even (in many cases) right out of the box. I happen to own two prototype machines which are certainly not "production run" ones, along with others that *are* production-run machines. I also own both NIB-purchased machines that have never left my possession as well as those that have been in commercial use. But even discounting that they're all individual devices whether it be whether this one was mylar'd and that one wasn't, this one has ghosting issues with inserts, they're hand-assembled (which has its own set of issues) etc, and that's before you account for where it's been and how it's been treated.

The last decade or so has been an amusing time to be a collector of these things. The insanity that has surrounded the so-called "market" for them makes me crack a wry smile were I to ever decide I like the money more than the pins, but it also makes me chuckle on the other side of the table. IMHO its madness and it makes for interesting conversations, but at least for me, far fewer transactions than would otherwise be the case. There's a butt for every seat and capitalism is an interesting phenomena to observe but from where I sit transacting in a machine at several times its original NIB price on the premise of a "market price" instead of at a discount for depreciation since every component in same in fact deteriorates over time (like pretty-much anything else) is much like paying 1000x earnings for a stock; the only reason it transacts there is that some other fool will give you 1001x, and the day he doesn't show up you've got a pile of wood, wire and plastic. It is my sincere hope you enjoy playing it enough to justify your own personal bit of insanity because when (not if) that comes to pass you're gonna be keeping it for a long time.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

When my friends and I were at VFW last year, there was a T2 for sale. My buddy had cash burning a hole in his pocket and wanted to buy it, we were $100 short of the $1900 asking price so we were trying to find "reasons" to knock the price down. The best we could come up with was a small crack in one of the flipper bats. So we're texting this poor guy at about midnight, trying to talk him down on price based on the condition of this flipper bat. Beer may have been involved in this decision-making process. We still make fun of each other, and laugh about how stupid we were. If you're out there, T2 guy, we're sorry!

If your best offer was $100 short of his ask and he didn't have a full-price offer (and if it wasn't already gone he didn't) then either he didn't really want to sell it or he was a fool not to take your money.

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

Eh, I'm sure he was just denying us out of principal. Since we were arguing about a damn flipper bat in the middle of the night. I can't say I blame him!

Maybe.

But unless he got a full-price sale later, he still has the pin instead of the money, doesn't he?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-excuse-for-negotiating-a-price-downward?tu=tickerguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.