(Topic ID: 164825)

Worst excuse for negotiating a price downward

By Mr68

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jerry_(resized).jpg
    I_see_what_you_did_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nevus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago

No dumb excuses I can remember. I've certainly had people negotiate and I have done the same. I don't get bothered by low offers and don't mind saying no. If I offer someone less than they are asking. It's not an attack on their person. It's an offer to buy a game.

Sometimes, I think excuses are people's way of trying to rationalize a lower offer that they are uncomfortable making in person.

If someone puts "Firm" in their price, I usually don't bother making an offer. It's saves us from each other. I see them as inflexible on that item and they might see my lower offer as some kind of insult. No need for all that unless it's a good deal from the beginning.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

If I agree to a price, get there and the machine is completely misrepresented, I speak my issues and just say I am going to pass. If they then want to reopen negotiations, then I may or may not be game. Usually I am pissed off enough that I don't even want to bother.

Agree. I have no problem walking away.

2 weeks later
    #161 7 years ago

There is some funny stuff here, I'm not sure which are true stories or just funny. I've had some good ones, but mostly written as initial offers. I've not had someone pull a lame excuse once reaching my house.

I recently agreed to buy a game over long distance. The price was given in terms that it may be negotiable. I thought it was a fair price. So, after asking some questions, I began with "I think your price is fair and I'm willing to pay it". I know it's rare, but it sure made the rest of the conversation easy and pleasant. I'm not patting myself on the back, but pointing out good market pricing helps a lot in quick sale negotiations.

I sold a game about a year ago and I had it priced fair and was willing to keep it until it sold at that price. When the buyer made lower offers in person, I declined. As his offers got closer and closer to my price, I realized that he needed me to negotiate a little for the sake of negotiation. I suppose to show some flexibility. So I came off what amounted to a small fraction of the price. It made the difference and we were both happy with the transaction.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nevus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-excuse-for-negotiating-a-price-downward?tu=nevus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.