3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JAHpinWizard
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jerry_(resized).jpg
    I_see_what_you_did_(resized).jpeg

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tickerguy:

If your best offer was $100 short of his ask and he didn't have a full-price offer (and if it wasn't already gone he didn't) then either he didn't really want to sell it or he was a fool not to take your money.

Eh, I'm sure he was just denying us out of principal. Since we were arguing about a damn flipper bat in the middle of the night. I can't say I blame him!

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

I sold a Rescue 911 to a gentleman who never owned a pinball. He was pondering over the game before committing and he says.."you know it's set to play for free. I was hoping to use it as a bank to save quarters; can we knock a little off for that?"
    I replied "I can do better", flipped off the tournament switch, restarted the game. "Here's your bank". Mechs were in there and worked perfectly.
    He was a bit dumbfounded.

I hope you bumped the price up after adding such a valuable feature.

Great thread. I'm loving some of these stories.

#103 3 years ago

It is in perfect condition, but i notice it is a reimport.

#104 3 years ago

When you already have a fair price set as a seller, and then someone of course throws you a significantly lower offer, giving you a bunch of trivial bs reasons, then what you can do is throw a curve ball back at them of something you "kept in your back pocket" if needed.

Say something like: Oh yeah, I just remembered something I did/added to it that I forgot to include when I was determining my sell price. And that is ________. I'm gonna have to bump the sell price up another $100 now that I think about it.

Then if he is still somewhat interested, you can lower the price back down to your original sell price, -or-
    if he is being a dick, then stick firm with the new higher price. Everytime he tries to go lower, then you keep raising the price. He'll catch on eventually.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

Eh, I'm sure he was just denying us out of principal. Since we were arguing about a damn flipper bat in the middle of the night. I can't say I blame him!

Possibly. I tend to have the best luck just being open about such a situation. If the seller is already really close to my price like that, I don't try to knock the game at all but rather will show my excitement for the game while expressing that this is all I have and its cash in hand. If we can't come to terms it wasn't meant to be.

But like you said, beer was involved lol.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

I always ask if they are firm on the price...never hurts. But I don't push the issue and give excuses. I had a guy work on me for an hour because he "had to rent a truck" to come and get the pin. I explained that was his cost, not mine, and if he didn't take the pin, he would be in the same hole for the rental.
    Now with that said, the one thing I don't figure into the cost is the travel. I see a lot of folks do, and if I were doing this for a business, then I would probably think differently. But to me the travel is just part of the experience. I get something out of seeing different places....even if it is Ohio! lol Shipping is a different story to me....I figure that into the cost, because I get nothing from it other than the pin delivered to my door. I realize I am in the minority here, but I am always willing to drive a decent distance to pick something up, unless it is a place I really don't want to go......

I actually enjoy the road trips.....gives me time to think about other things going on in life. Sometimes, depending on location, my wife comes with and we make a mini trip of it. Bring the laptop and have some fun with Priceline. We have stayed in some 4 & 5 star hotels for dirt cheap.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

Maybe.

But unless he got a full-price sale later, he still has the pin instead of the money, doesn't he?

#108 3 years ago

Bump.

#109 3 years ago

The glare off of your head is blinding me. I need an extra $200 off.

LTG : )

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

If you price a pin right and aren't trying to F the buyer you will have a list of people to choose from. Don't even need to pay attention to the dicks. Simple as that.

Ice, not too familiar with the NE locals here...

#111 3 years ago

I actually can't comment here with a story about someone trying to lower a price on one of my games because I've never sold one!

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

I actually can't comment here with a story about someone trying to lower a price on one of my games because I've never sold one!

So your post was about nothing? Nothing at all? Yeah, it's about nothing!

jerry_(resized).jpg

#113 3 years ago

Worst excuse?

My wife is getting a boob job and if you don't lower the price we can only afford to have one done now.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Years ago, I had some jackass from NC drive down to Atlanta to buy my TOM and wanted to haggle after we had agreed on a price!!!
    Needless to say, his ass drove 6 hours back home empty handed.

Was it because he could not get a lower price? Or, did you kick his a$$ out of your house for trying to haggle?

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My wife is getting a boob job and if you don't lower the price we can only afford to have one done now.

I would have so much fun with that excuse... I would mark that in the best excuse category.

#116 3 years ago

I know this is about negotiating down, but I was asking about a pin, guy told me he paid x dollars for the pin, but also he had another $400 in for shipping and PayPal fees so he was asking for x plus $400.

I mean what someone paid or what fees they paid has no bearing on the market value of a pin IMO.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Worst excuse?

I would have to recommend to the guy that he chose the boob job. Pinball is fun, but in my book there is one thing that is more fun. So I would invest a bit in that 'hobby' too.

#118 3 years ago

"I didn't bring enough money" has got to be the worst one.

Because of that shit, I've had to spend like 2 hours making a deal happen before, as the buyer went around to various ATMs and banks trying to get the cash he needed.

If you are gonna buy something, bring enough cash to satisfy the asking price.

#119 3 years ago

"Your system 11 has a few cracked plastics. If I bought your pinball today, I don't think I will get my money back, if I decided to sell it within 3 years. What is the lowest price you can accept?"

I guess buying a pinball machine is an investment not entertainment.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"I didn't bring enough money" has got to be the worst one.

If you are gonna buy something, bring enough cash to satisfy the asking price.

THIS, 100%

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Worst excuse?

And yet you still bought the machine.
    How did the surgery go ?

#122 3 years ago

.. asked my wife for the money and she said no. Sorry I'll have to pass on that great game, unless you can convince her.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

How did the surgery go ?

I just call her "lefty" now.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

I love the one ask my wife, I tell them bring her over and I'll dicker.

That's right...make her earn that price reduction

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I know this is about negotiating down, but I was asking about a pin, guy told me he paid x dollars for the pin, but also he had another $400 in for shipping and PayPal fees so he was asking for x plus $400.
    I mean what someone paid or what fees they paid has no bearing on the market value of a pin IMO.

I disagree. A buyer has $2,000.00 dollars to spend. The seller wants $2,000.00 for his pin and it is fairly priced. OK. Cool. Buyer and seller are in same town. A deal can happen. Everybody is happy.

Take the same scene above only and 1000 miles and $250.00 for shipping. That same buyer (who is now only a possible prospect because of shipping costs) still only has $2,000.00 to spend. The seller, depending on how motivated he is, either shaves off $250.00 or sits on his machine.

Look at it this way: How much would you pay to ship your favorite pin across the country? $200? $300? $400. $500? At what shipping price would you say that shipping kills the deal?

Would you be willing to pay up for A- quality Pin "X" from across town? Or would you pay the same amount plus shipping for an A+ Pin "X" from across the country? Which would it be? A-? Or A+ plus shipping?

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I disagree. A buyer has $2,000.00 dollars to spend. The seller wants $2,000.00 for his pin and it is fairly priced. OK. Cool. Buyer and seller are in same town. A deal can happen. Everybody is happy.
    Take the same scene above only and 1000 miles and $250.00 for shipping. That same buyer (who is now only a possible prospect because of shipping costs) still only has $2,000.00 to spend. The seller, depending on how motivated he is, either shaves off $250.00 or sits on his machine.
    Look at it this way: How much would you pay to ship your favorite pin across the country? $200? $300? $400. $500? At what shipping price would you say that shipping kills the deal?
    Would you be willing to pay up for A- quality Pin "X" from across town? Or would you pay the same amount plus shipping for an A+ Pin "X" from across the country? Which would it be? A-? Or A+ plus shipping?

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

... How much would you pay to ship your favorite pin across the country? ...

$0 - I've been doing this for a long time and I have never bought or sold with shipping. Cash and carry. See it and accept it I don't want to hear shit afterwards. Just like I buy. We made a deal and if it looks like what was expected there should be nothing afterwards except "Thank you, what a great transaction".

If you are in the hobby for the long haul it will come up eventually.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from wizard_mode:

Was it because he could not get a lower price? Or, did you kick his a$$ out of your house for trying to haggle?

No, he wanted a lower price over nit-picky nonsense.

He was going over the playfield with his nose inches away just looking for something, but couldn't find anything.

You will never satisfy those types of people.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't think you read his post correctly...lol Unless *I'm* confused.

#130 3 years ago

For sale as is we're is 99% working.

"The game sure is dirty"

Referring to the dust on playfield glass.... About 3 weeks worth

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

It is in perfect condition, but i notice it is a reimport.

Thumbs up to the absurdity of geographical parochialism. We get a lot of that down here in Australia.

A few of the classics below I have had to listen to given in apparent sincerity whilst I maintain professional detachment.

On a completely restored from the ground up MM - "Since it was a European import and not originally Aussie delivered will you take $2000 off your price?"

On a BBB - "It isn't even a very good player".

On a Stern Spiderman - "My 7 year old kid is a big Spidey fan but has leukaemia. Will you take $1500?"

On a pimped out Cactus Canyon - "The chrome is going to make it really hard to keep clean. I would have preferred it was left as factory."

On any pinball machine - "I got a price check for this machine on AA and they say it is only worth $XXXX."

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

"Since it was a European import and not originally Aussie delivered will you take $2000 off your price?"

Hahahaha, how does that affect price in any way? Tryhard looking for any excuse for a reduced price.

Quoted from pinsanity:

On a BBB - "It isn't even a very good player".

Ahhh subjective opinion rears its head, you could just turn around at this point and say 'I think it's an excellent player, and I will sell it to someone who also agrees and get the price I'm asking.'

Quoted from pinsanity:

On a Stern Spiderman - "My 7 year old kid is a big Spidey fan but has leukaemia. Will you take $1500?"

Same as before, if you are a more than nice (because giving a spidey away for $1500 is a joke, even to someone with a child with an illness) then offer to have them bring the child round to play and then haggle a reasonable price, and I bet they don't even have a child with leukaemia and you never see them again.

Quoted from pinsanity:

On a pimped out Cactus Canyon - "The chrome is going to make it really hard to keep clean. I would have preferred it was left as factory."

Then you can put factory [whatever happens to be chrome] back on it yourself when you buy it, job done.

Quoted from pinsanity:

On any pinball machine - "I got a price check for this machine on AA and they say it is only worth $XXXX.

If it's a modded or restored game, you tell them that won't be taken into account. If it's a very nice example, again they need to take that into account it's going to be more expensive. Ask them if they go to eBay for a price check as well, that's usually a dead giveaway.

#133 3 years ago

What do you mean that TNT sticker ruined the apron! I am sure it adds value.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

Hahahaha, how does that affect price in any way? Tryhard looking for any excuse for a reduced price.

Ahhh subjective opinion rears its head, you could just turn around at this point and say 'I think it's an excellent player, and I will sell it to someone who also agrees and get the price I'm asking.'

Same as before, if you are a more than nice (because giving a spidey away for $1500 is a joke, even to someone with a child with an illness) then offer to have them bring the child round to play and then haggle a reasonable price, and I bet they don't even have a child with leukaemia and you never see them again.

Then you can put factory [whatever happens to be chrome] back on it yourself when you buy it, job done.

If it's a modded or restored game, you tell them that won't be taken into account. If it's a very nice example, again they need to take that into account it's going to be more expensive. Ask them if they go to eBay for a price check as well, that's usually a dead giveaway.

LOL, great rebuttals on all of them. I think I'll have to start being a bit more stringent with vetting my potential clientele.

I'll be over in your general neck of the woods for a brief stopover next week on a business trip so hope the weather is fine where you are.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

On any pinball machine - "I got a price check for this machine on AA and they say it is only worth $XXXX."

I'm reminded of a guy who came to my house holding a Price Guide like it was the bible.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm reminded of a guy who came to my house holding a Price Guide like it was the bible.

I should do that. The other day I bumped into my 2001 version of Larry Bieza price guide. Medieval Madness was not even in that guide yet since it was so new on route none were being sold yet. Probably has Fathom listed for a couple of hundred.

#137 3 years ago

"STTNG is supposed to have 7 balls, my friend told me that. Yours only has 6."

Yes, this actually happened to me. Guy even argued with me after I showed him the sticker on the lockdown bar that says "INSTALL 6 BALLS" or whatever. Smh..

#138 3 years ago

"Beelzeboob played this machine."

#139 3 years ago

"I don't have that much in my Paypal account"

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

"Beelzeboob played this machine."

Sounds more like the best excuse to me

(I keed, I keed... That was too easy)

#141 3 years ago

My favorite is when a guy asked if I can go lower on a price without seeing the game in person and I said, "Sure - make an offer". He says he doesn't want to make an offer because I am asking too much and "He doesn't want to insult me".

When the game sells, he writes almost immediately after I pulled the ad asking what it sold for. I told him, "More than you were willing to spend".

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'd at least give him some credit for attempting to use something tangible.

Some of the zealots down under here will probably take it as heresy, but nothing beats the hilarity of having a phone shoved under your nose pointing to a post on an obscure domestic forum and watching a person trying to use that as a credible point of reference or a bargaining chip in a real life business transaction. LOL.

#143 3 years ago

"This is all i have left of my home equity loan".

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"This is all i have left of my home equity loan".

Anyone remember the old days when you posted a machine on Mr. Pinball a guy would conntact you trying to trade Mattresses towards your pin?

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

a guy would conntact you trying to trade Mattresses towards your pin?

Mattress or mistress?

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Anyone remember the old days when you posted a machine on Mr. Pinball a guy would conntact you trying to trade Mattresses towards your pin?

Maybe three or four months ago a friend of mine placed a pinball Craigslist ad for sale and at the end he wrote:
    "No, I will not trade for a mattress or landscape work"

Too funny. Thanks for the reminder.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Seriously? If I saw a potential buyer approaching my house holding a pinball "Price Guide" I would level a shotgun at his eyes. My God are these people pathetic....

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Seriously? If I saw a potential buyer approaching my house holding a pinball "Price Guide" I would level a shotgun at his eyes. My God are these people pathetic....

wow...really???

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

I gave him a wedgie.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

-removed-..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 22.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 16.00
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Great American Pinball
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside