(Topic ID: 18907)

Worst DMD era pin of all time?

By Pinchroma

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

I always see people squaring of against each other for best pin.

What's the worst?

My vote is wheel of fortune or bbh.

#2 11 years ago

Popeye. Docscott was nice enough to sell me his for $700 but I turned it down. The upper playfield is horribly placed and the Bluto face is creepy enough. The callouts don't do much for me and saving animals has absolutely nothing to do with Popeye. If anything, Popeye is the worst DMD to be made. Period.

#3 11 years ago

I played waterworld at the phof and couldn't get myself to finish,I just walked away.

#4 11 years ago

For me it's a tie between Junkyard and T2

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Popeye. Docscott was nice enough to sell me his for $700 but I turned it down. The upper playfield is horribly placed and the Bluto face is creepy enough. The callouts don't do much for me and saving animals has absolutely nothing to do with Popeye. If anything, Popeye is the worst DMD to be made. Period.

I'm not a big Popeye fan either, but for $700? I might have bitten at that price.

Quoted from Erik:

For me it's a tie between junkyard and T2

Glad to hear I'm not the only T2 hater. Simultaneously boring and frustrating. I'd much rather play Popeye than T2.

#6 11 years ago

T2 ranks pretty high on my list of disliked pins, but I have to cut it some slack because it was one of the earliest, plus the theme and sounds are pretty cool.

Popeye looks like a cheap plastic Zizzle, but I haven't played one so I can't say it's the worst. Likewise with the numerous crappy DE's and Gottliebs out there.

#7 11 years ago

Gilligan's Island. It just doesn't get any worse than this.

#8 11 years ago

Popeye for me as well.

#9 11 years ago

Twister and Lost in Space ,,, Hmm ,, Borg !!!

#10 11 years ago

Vacation America

#11 11 years ago

CV - victory of style over substance and one of the most annoying audio packages ever. Trouble is that's more of a 'least liked' answer than a 'worst'.

#12 11 years ago

Twister's okay, a lot better than lost in space.

Checkpoint is pretty bad. That counts right?

#13 11 years ago

T2....Worst DMD....Really!?!?!

Let's talk really bad here, how about Striker Extreme or Flipper Football

#14 11 years ago

Good topic. This will end up being a useful thread imho. Just confirms the importance of playing a pin before dishing out $700 to $4,000 for it, plus driving to pick it up (or pay shipping), then finding out you can't stand some aspect of your new pin.
    I checked out the above list of "worst dmd pins" on Pinside archive & ratings and can report the following:
    * so far guym451 is right on track, Gilligan's Island, Bally '91, Pinside rank #230, rating 6.64
    However, this machine does not appear to have the lowest avg price/value.
    * Popeye, Bally '94, Pinside: #227 & 6.67
    Wow, that playfield is ....not my favorite.
    * Waterworld, Gtb '95, Pinside: #226 & 6.67
    * Lost in Space, Sega '98, Pinside: #206 & 6.79
    * Looks like can't officially include Vacation America in this list due to Alphanumeric display. Sorry vid1900. I never even new that pin existed.
    * others mentioned are ranked/rated higher, such as JY/T2/T3 all in top 100, BBH = #160, and several others mentioned are ranked near bottom of the Pinside top 200.
    * Here's one not yet mentioned that I found: Shaq, Gtb '95, Pinside #212 & 6.76

#15 11 years ago

dgpinball is also right on track:
    Striker Xtreme, Pinside #262 & 5.77
    Flipper Football, Pinside #238 & 6.43

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Looks like can't officially include Vacation America in this list due to Alphanumeric display.

Alex asked for DMD Era pins and Vacation America (2003) was certainly of the era.

Its lack of a DMD in an Era of DMD pins only amplifies its suckyness.

#17 11 years ago

My vote goes to NBA (Stern), which is just a very uninspired game.
    Popeye and the likes still have way more personality and originality then that turd.

#18 11 years ago

Sharkey's Shootout.... Hands down!

#19 11 years ago

I like them all!

#20 11 years ago

For me, It's a toss up between Popeye and Gilligan's Island. That being said, I'd still play them, and even possibly own them, because even bad pinball is still pinball, and pinball's good, LOL.

#21 11 years ago

Teed off, Street fighter

#22 11 years ago

Rescue 911 is probably the one game I've owned that I wanted to get rid of the quickest. Can't really say it's the worst since I haven't played every single pin of the DMD era.

The main thing I didn't like about it was that every shot seemed like a dead end. There was just no flow at all in the game. Even if you shoot the ramp there's a delay before the ball gets released for the upper flipper. If you're a big fan of stop and go games, give the ultimate stop and go game a try and play R911

While it's interesting to read what people think is the worst game, it would be useful for people to give some reasons why they think a certain game is the worst. For example, a lot of people don't like Popeye because they say you can't see where the ball is going or coming from. I don't see Popeye being all that much different than CFTBL along those lines. Once you get used to how either game flows, the amount of clutter on the field takes care of itself.

#23 11 years ago

Viper Night Driving. Boy is that game annoying, and super easy.

#24 11 years ago

Think that'd have to be Barb Wire for me with a dishonourable mention to Hurricane

#25 11 years ago

South Park - Worst ever I didn't even finish one ball and I walked away

#26 11 years ago

Another Rescue 911 disliker here. I also can't get into Monopoly but I do realize many people love that game. TRS is a distant third...

#27 11 years ago

I played WOF and BBH and didn't think either one was "bad". I can't really think of any DMD that's "bad". I remember when Congo used to get slammed regularly on RGP, and now 59 people have it on their Wishlist. Bad movies = fun pinball.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

For me it's a tie between junkyard and T2

T2? How dare you.

#29 11 years ago

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, the topic of this post is "WORST DMD era PIN of ALL TIME?" T2,CV and Junkyard serious? I vote for the abysmal waste of wood and electronics known as Godzilla.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Vacation America

That one is alphanumeric, but I see where you're going with this.

I know it's cliche, but I would have to say Popeye ranks up there for me. Even with the stiff competition others have suggested.

#31 11 years ago

Disagree on Popeye. I thought it was horrible, until I had one for a few weeks. Give it some serious play time, and it's not a bad machine at all. In fact, I'd love to get one. If someone has one for $700, please let me know.

#32 11 years ago

Wow.... are you guys kidding me? b/w I don't think enters into this discussion at all...anything gottlieb/premier other than SG wins by a landslide.

As for Popeye, I think few people have played or fairly evaluated this machine, and ride the wave of negativity by others. One review I recall complained of how there are no ramps (which there is).

Popeye is objective based, not mode based, and they are quite diverse. It is also very hard. It is a very challenging machine, more so than many WPC’s. What hurts it is in fact the hidden shots. I recall thinking, before owning one, that you could just aim for the inserts, so what’s the big deal, but it doesn’t work that well, you need to see. There are also many flaws with the design, most of which are easy to fix, and I have done on mine.

Points are unbalanced though, there is really nothing else worth doing, point wise, than loading up MB over and over. But rescuing Olive is very tough as a wizard, and I have only done this once. The upper PF is incredibly hard, and I am yet to completed this. I believe the openings for the doorways should have been larger, and the ramp is too steep as well, as they are simply too hard to accurately hit.

The save the earth BS theme, and the kiddy’ish stuff makes it great for a family machine, but less attractive to a collector. All in all, it’s a much better game than people give credit for, but was obviously rushed out, and there are things that should have been addressed.

#33 11 years ago

I haven't played Congo IRL, but really enjoyed it on Visual Pinball. There's a lot of depth in the game, and was impressed with the "unlimited skill shots" minigame.

I'll put my vote in for Terminator 3. The playfield is much too crowded. They put too many ramps in it to where you hit the ball & wait around a while. It's difficult to even keep track where your ball is since it could be anywhere. It's like Gotham City with pin ramps.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

b/w I don't think enters into this discussion at all

I know, I know. I just really don't like how every shot is obscured on Popeye and the theme isn't even faithful. At least those Gottliebs have some level of quirky charm. I guess I just hold b/w to a higher standard and the game pisses me off.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I vote for the abysmal waste of wood and electronics known as Godzilla.

Seriously? This had to be one of the best games produced by Sega during their time -- especially if you are a *player*. In any ways, the gameplay is similar to Dracula, with good flow, sucker shots and the stacking of multiball. I would LOVE to find a nice example of it.

#36 11 years ago

TRS, for the loss.

#37 11 years ago

I can't believe people are saying T2 is the worst. That's the game that brought me into this hobby and I loved it, just wasn't a long term keeper in a smaller collection.

I would have to say of the games I've played, it would be a toss op between Star Wars Trilogy or Nightmare on Elm Street. I could hardly stomach a full game of either, no depth no flow. At least Star Wars had good music and great theme but, nothing else.

#38 11 years ago

As a Lost in Space owner I gotta say that I've played many worse. I think any game that isn't set up well sucks. I played 2 ST:TNG side by side the other day and one was one was of the best pins I've ever played and the other I walked away from on the second ball. Couldn't help but wonder if the second machine was the only one there and it was my only experience with the title, would I be a ST:TNG hater?

#39 11 years ago

For me it was sharkeys shoot out. But the above proves everyone has different taste.

#40 11 years ago

For me... Its Popeye at number one for the worst DMD pinball machine ever made (The designer must be so proud)! Then comes Stricker Extreme . I've never played Vacation America , so I just can't comment on it. As for who said Junkyard , I can see why someone might not like it. Its a really open playfield, without all of those guides. It just lets me know your not a shooter.

-Aaron

#41 11 years ago

Well i love WOF, BBH, T3, JY and Godzilla...

A lot of SEGAs are pretty bad and look horrible...but then again they did give us MSF and BF so we can let them off.

I dont think its fair to speak of pins as being the worst - a pin is a pin. If I saw a Popeye and a Medieval Madness in an arcade I'd still play both of them.

I dont think any DMDs are worthy of 'Worst ever' titles. I cant stand the boring older games that just have 3 pop bumpers and a target. ( EBD and Centaur )

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky347:

Couldn't help but wonder if the second machine was the only one there and it was my only experience with the title, would I be a ST:TNG hater

I had a similar experience the first time I played one that wasn't setup right but, now its my favorite. STTNG has to be setup perfect and dialed-in, and when it is, I'll put it up against any other modern DMD, especially if the certain mods are added.

#43 11 years ago

It's a three way tie between TZ, AC/DC and RFM.

#44 11 years ago

No Williams or Stern should be in the worst list. That list should be comprised of Gottliebs. They made some real stinkers.

Personally, I think either Cue Ball Wizard or Waterworld. Both are miserable and dull.

Duane

#45 11 years ago

Has anyone said Shaq yet? It's not bad enough it looks bad, sounds bad, and the shots suck.... but the rules are horrible as well.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I had a similar experience the first time I played one that wasn't setup right but, now its my favorite. STTNG has to be setup perfect and dialed-in, and when it is, I'll put it up against any other modern DMD, especially if the certain mods are added.

Had a similar experience with IJ. I pretty much hated that game for years...until I played one that, you know, WORKED. Once I did that, I was like, "Whoa, this game is awesome!" Now on my wishlist.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Just confirms the importance of playing a pin before dishing out $700 to $4,000 for it, plus driving to pick it up (or pay shipping), then finding out you can't stand some aspect of your new pin.

This is why I always watch youtube vids of it, if I've never played a game before.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

It's a three way tie between TZ, AC/DC and RFM.

LOL i own all 3

#49 11 years ago

I haven't played all of them, but WPT was my biggest disappointment thus far. I love to watch the competitions and planned to buy one for my game room until I played it. They also dropped the ball on the translight. How can you screw up a translight with a beautiful woman on it?

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

I haven't played all of them, but WPT was my biggest disappointment thus far. I love to watch the competitions and planned to buy one for my game room until I played it. They also dropped the ball on the translight. How can you screw up a translight with a beautiful woman on it?

I agree with WPT. I couldn't bring myself to finish the game I was playing because it sucked so bad.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-dmd-era-pin-of-all-time?hl=arcadefan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.