(Topic ID: 18907)

Worst DMD era pin of all time?

By Pinchroma

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

It's a three way tie between TZ, AC/DC and RFM.

Blasphemy! You take that bit about TZ back!

#52 11 years ago

I actually like most of the games named so far, but South Park is pretty bad. TRS is fairly uninspired, and I really didn't see the appeal of Twister. Lost in Space was a lot of fun the last time I played it, early on as a pinhead. Flipper Football was pretty great too.

The worst DMD I've ever seen belongs to Street Fighter. The animations were rendered underwater, with an extra layer of vasoline on the lens, and even then they are pretty sparse. I dig the gameplay though.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

davewth said:

It's a three way tie between TZ, AC/DC and RFM.

LOL i own all 3 []

Glad you laughed. It was 99% joke and 1% to point out people don't like having their games picked on. I like all three of those.

#55 11 years ago

Easy.

World Challenge Soccer, Gottlieb, '94

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2808&picno=5157

#56 11 years ago

I was looking at that one. I've never played it......but it definatly looks the part.

#57 11 years ago

Hurricane !
    Morst boring game ever with basic dmd drawings a 4 year old could do better on an etch a sketch.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky347:

I played 2 ST:TNG side by side the other day and one was one was of the best pins I've ever played and the other I walked away from on the second ball. Couldn't help but wonder if the second machine was the only one there and it was my only experience with the title, would I be a ST:TNG hater?

Yr Not Alone !!! I Didn't like it either , But Alot of Pinheads Do.. STTNG is a Great Trader Pin..

#59 11 years ago

Gottlieb Wipe Out. Just terrible

#60 11 years ago

x-files has got to be the biggest waste of mdf and human man power ever made.

#61 11 years ago

Haha there he is!

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I was looking at that one. I've never played it......but it definatly looks the part.

I'll give you that the game doesn't look like much. I walked up to it at PHOF several years ago and didn't have high expectations. Boy am I glad I tried it out!

To me the rules are very good on this title. You knock down all 10 drop targets and it will often give you a timed challenge to knock down different configurations of the drops. Ex for the special round only the first and last drop of each bank of drops is reset. If you can complete those 4 drops in 10 seconds you earn the special. There is an 11th drop target up the right side. There are times when you can hit this drop and the ball will come back to the upper flipper with the goal open. Interesting combo IMO. Jon Norris is my second favorite rules guy after KEF and I think he did a great job with World Challenge Soccer.

After I played it at PHOF it was firmly on my list to own. I drove about 6 hours each way the first time I saw one pop up and it will never ever leave my collection unless I find a nicer one.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Gottlieb Wipe Out. Just terrible

I like Wipeout. It is a pure adrenaline game if you blast the music loud (which I do). The humor and dmd is fun to me too! Being a Mechanical Engineer I like observing/playing new pin motion ideas. Wipeout's ball ski lift and the slalom is ultra unique

#64 11 years ago

Wow.. 50+ posts an no Raven vote?

Ironically WPT ranks as probably my favorite Stern

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Glad you laughed. It was 99% joke and 1% to point out people don't like having their games picked on. I like all three of those.

Funny, that would be my lineup if I had not sold my RFM to get AC/DC.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from raddroxx:

I agree with WPT. I couldn't bring myself to finish the game I was playing because it sucked so bad.

WPT is in my top 10 best ever.

John

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from KoenHeltzel:

My vote goes to NBA (Stern), which is just a very uninspired game.Popeye and the likes still have way more personality and originality then that turd.

IJ4, but Stern NBA is horrible as well.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from raddroxx:

I agree with WPT. I couldn't bring myself to finish the game I was playing because it sucked so bad.

Wow. I can't agree with this--WPT has been my favorite game for over a year. Was the game playing properly? Do you understand (most of) the rules? It's an incredibly strategic game, and really flies when set up properly.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Wow.. 50+ posts an no Raven vote?

Not a DMD.

My vote for the worst would have to Gottleib's Gladiators, with Gilligan coming in a close second. Boooooooring....

Later,
    EV

#70 11 years ago

Off the top of my head I'm thinking 2 way tie between Stargate & well that's the only one I can think of.

BArb Wire and Baywatch are also horrible.

#71 11 years ago

This could be just because I liked the movie and I was excited to play the game but..... Maverick was the worst I have played so far.

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, the topic of this post is "WORST DMD era PIN of ALL TIME?" T2,CV and junkyard serious? I vote for the abysmal waste of wood and electronics known as Godzilla.

CV is the only game I hated enough to walk away from after a game and a half. It's the sound, mostly the ringmaster, and his stupid green face. I did say though, that's a dislike vote rather than a quality of gameplay/rules one.

#73 11 years ago

NBA Fastbreak. I love basketball, but that game blows.

I didn't even know Stern made an NBA game in 2009. Sounds like I'm not missing anything.

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I didn't even know Stern made an NBA game in 2009. Sounds like I'm not missing anything.

And the football machine...never seen either of them.

#75 11 years ago

It should be the Rolling Stones by stern. if you have nothing good to say you shouldnt say anything at all...

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

No Williams or Stern should be in the worst list. That list should be comprised of Gottliebs. They made some real stinkers.

Personally, I think either Cue Ball Wizard or Waterworld. Both are miserable and dull.

Duane

Wow buddy, no DW comment?

#77 11 years ago

Of the games I've played I think I'd have to say Austin Powers

#78 11 years ago

Guys lay off the Bath Salts - WPT? T2? WOF? etc WPT - has huge amounts of depth that you cant even comprehend with out getting some serious time on it - I think the topic should be changed to "Games I played once or twice and didnt like." I know these are just opinions but there are way worse games then most of these mentioned. Need to consider the entire package, art, rules, sound, layout etc etc.

If a game like T2 kicks your ass repeatedly - that doesnt mean the game sucks - means you suck at the game.

BTW Popeye is not as bad as you think.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

and Baywatch are also horrible.

How many times have you played the game?

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

Agreed. My Baywatch gets pounded by adults and kids. I am so into placing a smile on a kids face that now I don't know if I could ever let BW go. THey smile and laugh everytime they hear those shark and dolphin sounds

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

Played a lot at a tournement back then...probably under 50 times though.

True I am going more on memory than recent play, but I'm starting to trust my memory more and more.
    Recently I replayed games I have despised since their release, to see what they were like.
    Stargate, JM, XF were just as not liked as I remember them.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from ctozzi:

I played Waterworld at the phof and couldn't get myself to finish,I just walked away.

Next time have a bit of class and finish your game so the next peep playing doesn't have to clear you balls to start a new game. Don't care how bad the game is, just have a little respect for the next player.

#83 11 years ago

Oh crap how could I forget aboot IJ4; Really bad. Would it be that bad if it wasn't for IJ? Probably not but whom knows.

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

Viper Night Driving. Boy is that game annoying, and super easy.

Then you haven't played one that is set up right. Mine would eat you alive in 5 minutes... like it does to everyone. I used to HATE it, but someone suggested if you set it up right, it's really awesome. I wouldn't let mine go now for just about anything.

And I think that's worth pointing out with a lot of these. Generally, even the so-called bad games have some really good points if you are willing to look at them with an open mind. Sometimes, you'll change your mind on a game a LOT from what you originally thought, like I did with VND.

For those of you claiming Stern's NBA sucks, I wonder how many have actually played it. I thought it was going to be miserable based on my experience with Space Jam, and instead I thought it was really amazing. The trick where it takes a shot with the pinball from half the playfield away is amazing to watch.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Would it be that bad if it wasn't for IJ?

Why? I think that IJ sets the bar for a machines awfulness. This shows how there is no accounting for taste -- I LOVE the Indiana Jones theme, but the Williams IJ is probably my least favorite pin ever. DMD era or not.

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Why? I think that IJ sets the bar for a machines awfulness...

Because I like IJ and when I see a game sporting some Indiana Jones swagger it reminds me of the original. Then I play IJ4 and vomit at the same time, becasue it's so horrible. BUT would I be so offended if IJ4 was decaled and made as Viper DAY driving? Probably not becasue I have no history with the title.

#86 11 years ago

Threads like this one always remind me of this Chappelle skit....

#87 11 years ago
    Quoted from IndianaPwns:

Blasphemy! You take that bit about TZ back!

I don't like TZ at all...but - I could never call it the worst or bad because it's clear plenty of people love it. Game just never clicked with me...and I've tried to like it...

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Wow. I can't agree with this--WPT has been my favorite game for over a year. Was the game playing properly? Do you understand (most of) the rules? It's an incredibly strategic game, and really flies when set up properly.

(Thread Hijacking warning) If anyone in the Nor Cal area wants a WPT for 1800 come then just come and get it. I need to free up some space

#89 11 years ago

So I guess I won't offer up my Stern NBA for sale anytime soon.

Seriously though, everyone dogs it. But have you ever really played it.
    I can't imagine that many have. I've talked to Stern there were less than 400 made, a pretty
    low production game if you ask me.

I think a lot of people bash the game without playing 3 balls on it. "Oh it looks like Space Jam...must be shit"

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

I think the topic should be changed to "Games I played once or twice and didnt like." I know these are just opinions but there are way worse games then most of these mentioned.

+1

Quoted from fusion301:

If a game like T2 kicks your ass repeatedly - that doesnt mean the game sucks - means you suck at the game.

Sub BBH for T2 and that's my thought exactly. I've owned close to 30 games so far and BBH is easily in the top 10 of those. If anything it's vastly under rated because of the theme and how difficult it is.

Strangely enough I have also owned T2 and it IS close to the bottom of my list. It didn't kick my ass repeatedly, it's just not fun after 30 or 40 plays. But worst ever? Hardly. My vote is a tie between Gilligan's Island and ID4.

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

I think the topic should be changed to "Games I played once or twice and didnt like." I know these are just opinions but there are way worse games then most of these mentioned.

While I agree with you in theory, some games you don;t need a ton of time on. I mean, does everyone here agree to go play TRS 100 more times to know it sucks

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Barb Wire and Baywatch are also horrible.

This guy hates Pam Anderson!

Just kidding....I can see someone not liking Baywatch as a total package, but the playfield is great in my opinion. The poorly designed / broken skill shot selection and the rules to a slight degree were my only beefs with BW.

#93 11 years ago

No one has mentioned The Star Wars Trilogy by Sega, never actually played one, but it seems to be short on shots and has limited depth to the rules.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

This guy hates Pam Anderson!

Ha I totally do; I cannot deny that!

#95 11 years ago

I agree with world poker tour hurricane terminator 2 gilligan's island,
    and all of the gots. But IJ is top ten game period.

#96 11 years ago

Only consensus on awfulness that you can draw from nearly 100 posts is that there is no consensus, every game seems to have someone who loves it and someone who hates it

However, it occurs to me that I don't ever remember anyone rising to defend Shaq Attaq, could this be truly worst DMD???

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

However, it occurs to me that I don't ever remember anyone rising to defend Shaq Attaq, could this be truly worst DMD???

Never played it, but yes I always assumed the worst DMD would be a Gottlieb hands down.

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha I totally do; I cannot deny that!

Yeah right...you hate the fact you could not have her! Not talking about now...but talking back then...oh yeah...everyone liked that...tell the truth!

#99 11 years ago

Naw not into the fake blond thing...I prefered the next Tool Time chica!

#100 11 years ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

But IJ is top ten game period.

My point was that it all depends on what makes each game click for people. There isn't going to be a consensus on this, because it is so different.

The original IJ to me is a complete mess. I'd definitely take Hurricane, T2 or WPT over one *any* day. And again, I'd take IJ4 over one too, and I don't love that game either.

Taste is relative.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-dmd-era-pin-of-all-time/page/2?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.