• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230423_075312 (resized).jpg
IMG_8895 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 6.10.20 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from jgreene:

There's no smoke screen or anything shady. The one and only purpose of NIL is to allow the players to make money off their college athletic career. Long overdue and absolutely deserved.

I think the players who opt in to try and make money off their NIL should be required to pay back their scholarship equivalent amount so that money can be used towards more academic scholarships for those who are going to use their degrees in ways that better society, the economy, or the workforce in general. Once that's paid back, they're free and clear to keep everything over and above their scholarship cost. Can you imagine the amount money that could be used for academic scholarships if most of the students who are given sports scholarships no longer needed that money earmarked just for them?

One sad affect about NIL stuff is, it's already turning college sports into the new professional levels of the same sports, what with all the transfers that go on now. It used to be in college sports, and long ago in professional sports, that a player played for one team their entire career. That's been long gone in the pro leagues, and is fading quickly from college sports now, too.

#48 1 year ago

Seems to me that Leonard Berry did well enough without being an athlete to make you know who he is. Either that or he really is a great marketer, of himself. Seems kinda ballsy to go to an agricultural and mechanical school to get a marketing degree. Probably could've gone somewhere MUCH cheaper for that. However it really does further reinforce that you don't have to go to a specific school just for one specific degree. Thousands upon thousands of amazing engineers, lawyers, and doctors never went to Harvard or Yale. Lots of them got their Bachelor's at regular old backwater schools that they happen to live near.

#51 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Anyone here a former NCAA student athlete? I'm not, but I was an official NCAA student tutor paid by the NCAA to tutor their athletes in college (looked great on a resume). Let me let you in on a little secret. The NCAA student athletes and their degrees by and large are a joke. Do you know what my primary duties were as a tutor? Reading students their assignments. Not even helping with homework but reading to them. NCAA athletes with below a certain GPA were required to attend so much tutoring per week, but many just did not care at all about school. I refused to do their work for them, but if the athletes are struggling to even read a 100 level college textbook and answer basic questions I don't know what to tell you. Some would literally just lie down and nap during tutoring sessions. I was the only tutor they had that had taken any anthropology courses, which somehow qualified me to tutor cultural anthropology. This was high school level stuff at best and their were students graduating that literally could not read a single chapter in their text books and even worse would not stay awake to have it read to them... yet they still graduated.
In my personal opinion college degrees are ranked from high to low on the following levels.
1. Traditional brick and mortar school
2. Online Degree
3. "University of Phoenix"
4. Earn college credit for real life experience!
5. Coney Island College (Reference: )
6. Official NCAA student athlete with degree from brick and mortar school
No insult meant to anyone... excepting NCAA student athletes and their governing organization. I am sure there are some college athletes that legitimately put forward the effort to study and learn, but the utter contempt I saw towards learning from people with full ride scholarships was deplorable.

During my time in college, in a number of my GE courses, I had a few student athletes in those classes. With the exception of a couple guys(who some of you have seen over the years commenting on NFL games), I can count on one hand how many times I saw those athletes in class all semester, literally. I remember in one of my English classes getting all excited when I recognized one of the stars of the basketball team on the first day of class. Thought it'd be cool to get to know the guy over the fall semester, i.e. when basketball isn't even really played that much. That was the ONLY time I ever saw him in class.

Couldn't agree much more with your post. I'm really curious what the actual percentage of graduating athletes is who actually do the work, get good grades, and become functioning members of the workforce when their dreams of professional sports falls through.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Different ways to pay players.
Endorsements
Just flat out paying them. One popular way to raise funds for these players is to create these collectives where fans and boosters and throw money into it and the school uses it to pay players. The donors get benefits for their donations too. Like being able to meet the players, discounted tickets/Merch, etc.
This auction put money into a specific collective that was going to pay those specific players.
It’s not a legal loop hole. It’s a way for the average Joe to contribute to their schools pool of funds that will help get their team’s athletes paid for their efforts.
Also, some collectives are private and aren’t associated with the school. See UK’s:
[quoted image]

That UK 15 Club collective sure sounds a lot like a version of OnlyFans for student athletes.

Plus, it's old name of Athletes Advantage sounds like a cheaper version of AthLead, the company that Jim co-founded on The Office.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-auction-worst-pr-ever-?tu=Miguel351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.