• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230423_075312 (resized).jpg
IMG_8895 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 6.10.20 PM (resized).png

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 months ago

Here is an auction I will not ever bid on - 2 pinball machines that directly benefit full scholarship athletes - 2 of them NFL draft picks!?

Please please Stern and Illinois Football - CHOOSE A CHARITY - ANY CHARITY! Maybe help the homeless / mother's in need / Ukraine / kittens without mittens / anything that fills a need but an auction to benefit guys that got a free education and will be earning $2,000,000 next year possibly?

NO

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 6.10.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-17 at 6.10.20 PM (resized).png

#2 11 months ago

I assumed proceeds are going to the football program, which is officially a charity, not to the players themselves.

Definitely not my favorite charity, but I'm sure there will be plenty of Illinois alum to bid.

#3 11 months ago

It’s NIL proceeds, I assume. Probably arranged by the school through Stern.

#4 11 months ago

Not all the kids are draft picks

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I assumed proceeds are going to the football program, which is officially a charity, not to the players themselves.
Definitely not my favorite charity, but I'm sure there will be plenty of Illinois alum to bid.

Says it benefits the 8 football players named.

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from OGpinball:

Here is an auction I will not ever bid on - 2 pinball machines that directly benefit full scholarship athletes - 2 of them NFL draft picks!?
Please please Stern and Illinois Football - CHOOSE A CHARITY - ANY CHARITY! Maybe help the homeless / mother's in need / Ukraine / kittens without mittens / anything that fills a need but an auction to benefit guys that got a free education and will be earning $2,000,000 next year possibly?
NO
[quoted image]

I got this email and I was thinking WTF? Godzilla Illini limited edition? Nice try. It’s just a premium folks.
And it’s a Captains auction so expect shill bidding and other shenanigans.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Not all the kids are draft picks

I bet they all get trophies

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Says it benefits the 8 football players named.

Missed that detail when I skimmed it. Yea that's weird.

#9 11 months ago

From Stern on Twitter:
"Those two machines will now be auctioned off, with proceeds benefiting eight football players on the 2022 Fighting Illini football team that were part of Stern's first NIL program"

Seems like only those 8 players were/are in Stern's NIL program.
If you don't follow college sports, athletes are now allowed to take money for corporate Name, Image, and Likeness use.

#10 11 months ago

It's a marketing/PR head scratcher for sure.

Also ... is there a real desire for these "special limited" machines?

#11 11 months ago
Quoted from OGpinball:

NO
[quoted image]

Welcome to NIL. It’s okay to pay college players. They deserve it.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not arguing that,
it's just a strange thing to hang your hat on. A "charity" auction for a bunch of kids that got a free college ride and a chance to make more money than most of us ever will. Just a really odd PR/Marketing move.

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Not arguing that,
it's just a strange thing to hang you hat on. A "charity" auction for a bunch of kids that got a free college ride and a chance to make more money than most of us ever will. Just a really odd PR/Marketing move.

Yeah, it kinda reads like a charity auction, but it's not.
It's part of the payment for NIL fees that Stern is contracting with those players for.
It would be like auctioning off a game with the proceeds going to the Stern design team, or something more like that.

#14 11 months ago

I would love to know the details of these NIL deals. It appears as if they are raising money now to fund a promise they made those players in the past, meaning the promise was made without the funding in place. I doubt Stern had anything to do with the original agreement with those 8 players, they probably just donated the machine to the Illini NIL fund, which appears to be quite meager. Good luck pulling in big recruits if you have to rely on pinball machine auctions to pay them a market rate!

#15 11 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Yeah, it kinda reads like a charity auction, but it's not.

Marketing/PR is all about how "it reads"

#16 11 months ago

Not arguing that,
it's just a strange thing to hang your hat on. A "charity" auction for a bunch of kids that got a free college ride and a chance to make more money than most of us ever will. Just a really odd PR/Marketing move.

Where’s the word charity anywhere? It clearly states what it is benefiting. NIL.

#17 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I would love to know the details of these NIL deals. It appears as if they are raising money now to fund a promise they made those players in the past, meaning the promise was made without the funding in place. I doubt Stern had anything to do with the original agreement with those 8 players, they probably just donated the machine to the Illini NIL fund, which appears to be quite meager. Good luck pulling in big recruits if you have to rely on pinball machine auctions to pay them a market rate!

Lots of schools have created an NIL pool where anyone can subscribe to it monthly for any amount and it goes to getting the players paid anyway they can manage it.

#18 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lots of schools have created an NIL pool where anyone can subscribe to it monthly for any amount and it goes to getting the players paid anyway they can manage it.

Interesting, so I wonder what the contract with the player looks like if it is being funded with money coming in rather than money that's already there?

#19 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Interesting, so I wonder what the contract with the player looks like if it is being funded with money coming in rather than money that's already there?

It depends on the state, but most states have a “rule” that you cannot promise money to a player if they come. It has to happen after they get there. That’s ripe with abuse right now though.

#20 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It depends on the state, but most states have a “rule” that you cannot promise money to a player if they come. It has to happen after they get there. That’s ripe with abuse right now though.

Wow, seems like all this would create a cold cold cold cold cold locker room!

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Yeah. Not sure what this will all look like in 10 years. Right now though, it seems like most players are getting decent paydays of high 5 to 6 figures for even the much lessor players. Some even stay in school for another year because the earning potential is better to stay.

#22 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where’s the word charity anywhere? It clearly states what it is benefiting. NIL.

Perception is everything, when I see the words Auction & Benefit - my mind thinks charity

#23 11 months ago

Perception is everything, when I see the words Auction & Benefit - my mind thinks charity

But not everyone perceives that ad the same. I can’t see it being confusing for those that don’t follow college sports, but this is being done a ton now that NIL is in place.

#24 11 months ago

Actually, I think you're both right. Wouldn't a donation to the schools NIL fund be a charitable contribution and tax deductible? I agree that the term "benefit" is commonly used in context of a fundraiser for charity, but this ad also makes clear who the money is going to.

#25 11 months ago

So stern is supporting one of the states big ten schools with NIL money, but not the other or any of the smaller schools. Guessing someone up high at stein is an illini grad/booster.

By autographing this and having their names in the auction is what qualifies this as being paid for use of their Name, Image or Likeness vs just giving them money to play football. While it is good for players to get some money, this shows how the whole NIL thing is just a smoke screen on giving players money. At the end of the day, schools with stronger/wealthier alumni, who are supports of the school, now have an easier way to acquire players.

#26 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Actually, I think you're both right. Wouldn't a donation to the schools NIL fund be a charitable contribution and tax deductible? I agree that the term "benefit" is commonly used in context of a fundraiser for charity, but this ad also makes clear who the money is going to.

Not sure on this part, but it could be entirely tax deductible. But I think they are still against it because it’s going to people they don’t want it to go to.

#27 11 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

So stern is supporting one of the states big ten schools with NIL money, but not the other or any of the smaller schools. Guessing someone up high at stein is an illini grad/booster.
By autographing this and having their names in the auction is what qualifies this as being paid for used of their Name, Image or Likeness vs just giving them money to play football. While it is good for players to get some money, this shows how the whole NIL thing is just a smoke screen on giving players money. At the end of the day, schools with stronger/wealthier alumni, who are supports of the school, now have an easier way to acquire players.

Yep. And the players are getting paid. That’s a good thing imo.

#28 11 months ago

In before the "they should play for the love of the game" lamentations.

Let's not litigate the nuts and bolts of NIL here.

#29 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

And then forgive thier student loan

#30 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Sure, if you act like the top players weren't getting every benefit & already being paid.

#31 11 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure, if you act like the top players weren't getting every benefit & already being paid.

come on .... you think there is real value and benefit to a free college ride with top coaching and mentoring providing a chance at a multimillion dollar career

#32 11 months ago

When "normie" students generate billions of dollars for Universities they can get all those advantages.
Plenty of other scholarships given out to smart kids that are actually using their degrees.

#33 11 months ago

Big time college sports is gross in pretty much every way.

This auction of games is very odd and probably what Rosh said - someone higher up at Stern just boostering for his own alumni for some clout amongst his cronies / another story to tell at alumni dinners.

Don't really care, in a few days none of us will remember any of this nonsense.

#34 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Big time college sports is gross in pretty much every way.
This auction of games is very odd and probably what Rosh said - someone higher up at Stern just boostering for his own alumni for some clout amongst his cronies / another story to tell at alumni dinners.
Don't really care, in a few days none of us will remember any of this nonsense.

Zach Sharpe is an alumni. He is also in some of the pictures on the auction site. I am interested to see the hammer price. Plenty of alumni with deep pockets I would guess.

#37 11 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I am interested to see the hammer price.

Well, if the Banning auction buyers bid for this, maybe Illinois will start getting all the top recruits!

#40 11 months ago

Witherspoons a beast, Lions or Raiders? I might just place a bid.

#43 11 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

By autographing this and having their names in the auction is what qualifies this as being paid for use of their Name, Image or Likeness vs just giving them money to play football. While it is good for players to get some money, this shows how the whole NIL thing is just a smoke screen on giving players money. At the end of the day, schools with stronger/wealthier alumni, who are supports of the school, now have an easier way to acquire players.

There's no smoke screen or anything shady. The one and only purpose of NIL is to allow the players to make money off their college athletic career. Long overdue and absolutely deserved.

#44 11 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Witherspoons a beast, Lions or Raiders? I might just place a bid.

Should we make this the NFL thread for a few days?

#45 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Should we make this the NFL thread for a few days?

Nah, that thread blows.
Although they’re similar. I’ve gotten posts deleted in both. Gotta love the pinside gaslighting.

#46 11 months ago
Quoted from jgreene:

There's no smoke screen or anything shady. The one and only purpose of NIL is to allow the players to make money off their college athletic career. Long overdue and absolutely deserved.

I think the players who opt in to try and make money off their NIL should be required to pay back their scholarship equivalent amount so that money can be used towards more academic scholarships for those who are going to use their degrees in ways that better society, the economy, or the workforce in general. Once that's paid back, they're free and clear to keep everything over and above their scholarship cost. Can you imagine the amount money that could be used for academic scholarships if most of the students who are given sports scholarships no longer needed that money earmarked just for them?

One sad affect about NIL stuff is, it's already turning college sports into the new professional levels of the same sports, what with all the transfers that go on now. It used to be in college sports, and long ago in professional sports, that a player played for one team their entire career. That's been long gone in the pro leagues, and is fading quickly from college sports now, too.

#47 11 months ago

College and universities have been profiting to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars for a century, all because of sports. Without a football team, half of the Big Ten and the SEC would be backwater schools specializing in some antiquated trade. Take away the athletes and the schools lose 80% of their revenue. NCAA athletics is pro sports. Why is it tied to educational institutions? Because Harvard and Yale started playing football more than a hundred years ago and people started to care. Then people with money REALLY started to care. Then they bought legislators. It's the most ridiculous, antidemocratic, colluded industry to ever darken the hallway of these United States. Call them amateurs, don't pay them, sell everything we can with our logo plastered on it, and force them to play for nothing until we are good and damned ready to let them go pro and earn something off the talent we sucked like a soup bone for however long we could pay a Senator to force him. Cry me a river about the money that could have gone to some higer calling. Without the athletes there would be no money. Johnny Football alone earned close to $1 Billion for Texas A&M, and he got in trouble for signing shit for $1500 on the side. You know who the most distinguished scholar on that campus is? No you don't. His name is Leonard Berry and he's a titan in the world of marketing. You know why you don't know him? He's never generated a fucking dime or sold a jersey or a ticket to an event. Why in the world would athletes that are the sole focus of interest and revenue generators need to give anything back to any school?

#48 11 months ago

Seems to me that Leonard Berry did well enough without being an athlete to make you know who he is. Either that or he really is a great marketer, of himself. Seems kinda ballsy to go to an agricultural and mechanical school to get a marketing degree. Probably could've gone somewhere MUCH cheaper for that. However it really does further reinforce that you don't have to go to a specific school just for one specific degree. Thousands upon thousands of amazing engineers, lawyers, and doctors never went to Harvard or Yale. Lots of them got their Bachelor's at regular old backwater schools that they happen to live near.

#49 11 months ago

Anyone here a former NCAA student athlete? I'm not, but I was an official NCAA student tutor paid by the NCAA to tutor their athletes in college (looked great on a resume). Let me let you in on a little secret. The NCAA student athletes and their degrees by and large are a joke. Do you know what my primary duties were as a tutor? Reading students their assignments. Not even helping with homework but reading to them. NCAA athletes with below a certain GPA were required to attend so much tutoring per week, but many just did not care at all about school. I refused to do their work for them, but if the athletes are struggling to even read a 100 level college textbook and answer basic questions I don't know what to tell you. Some would literally just lie down and nap during tutoring sessions. I was the only tutor they had that had taken any anthropology courses, which somehow qualified me to tutor cultural anthropology. This was high school level stuff at best and their were students graduating that literally could not read a single chapter in their text books and even worse would not stay awake to have it read to them... yet they still graduated.

In my personal opinion college degrees are ranked from high to low on the following levels.

1. Traditional brick and mortar school
2. Online Degree
3. "University of Phoenix"
4. Earn college credit for real life experience!
5. Coney Island College (Reference:

)
6. Official NCAA student athlete with degree from brick and mortar school

No insult meant to anyone... excepting NCAA student athletes and their governing organization. I am sure there are some college athletes that legitimately put forward the effort to study and learn, but the utter contempt I saw towards learning from people with full ride scholarships was deplorable.

#50 11 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Anyone here a former NCAA student athlete? I'm not, but I was an official NCAA student tutor paid by the NCAA to tutor their athletes in college (looked great on a resume). Let me let you in on a little secret. The NCAA student athletes and their degrees by and large are a joke. Do you know what my primary duties were as a tutor? Reading students their assignments. Not even helping with homework but reading to them. NCAA athletes with below a certain GPA were required to attend so much tutoring per week, but many just did not care at all about school. I refused to do their work for them, but if the athletes are struggling to even read a 100 level college textbook and answer basic questions I don't know what to tell you. Some would literally just lie down and nap during tutoring sessions. I was the only tutor they had that had taken any anthropology courses, which somehow qualified me to tutor cultural anthropology. This was high school level stuff at best and their were students graduating that literally could not read a single chapter in their text books and even worse would not stay awake to have it read to them... yet they still graduated.
In my personal opinion college degrees are ranked from high to low on the following levels.
1. Traditional brick and mortar school
2. Online Degree
3. "University of Phoenix"
4. Earn college credit for real life experience!
5. Coney Island College (Reference: )
6. Official NCAA student athlete with degree from brick and mortar school
No insult meant to anyone... excepting NCAA student athletes and their governing organization. I am sure there are some college athletes that legitimately put forward the effort to study and learn, but the utter contempt I saw towards learning from people with full ride scholarships was deplorable.

To be fair, I knew some non athletes that graduated with barely any work. I had some college classes that could not be any easier and yet kids were still failing. I tell my kids that if you just put in a little effort in school and just do the work, you are already well above average.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution
Toppers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop
Backbox
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy
Toppers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 49.99
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilmington, NC
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop
Pinball Machine
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Life
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-auction-worst-pr-ever-?hl=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.