20221018_080133 (resized).jpg
WVBar2 (resized).jpg
WVBar1 (resized).jpg
68DC7A57-59D3-4CD0-9DE6-6EA67889597E (resized).jpeg
Pin (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Roooooooooonnnnnnnnnn (resized).jpg
54116c5e2245871576ff4a0487c46fa3 (resized).jpg
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

How were the able to get coin mechanisms to work on 1ups? Did he saw off the front of the machines so that he could install coin mechs? How was he able to get the game to recognize the coin drops and turn them into credits? or maybe... does Arcade 1up have a commercial line? I am so confused.

Don't they have a credit button on their control panel? If they do, seems like it'd be pretty easy to rewire that button to the switch from under the coin mech that the quarter drops through like on a normal game. Then your coin box can just sit inside the open cab, with no separate door, like on older arcade cabs.

Either way, that place looks damn sketchy, and that manager guy needs to have his background check posted on the wall for all to see. If I had kids, that place would be a heeeuge NOPE!

I'm gonna give it six months before we either see that place close down, or hear about some sort of child endangerment, molestation, or kidnapping from that address.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Either way, that place looks damn sketchy, and that manager guy needs to have his background check posted on the wall for all to see. If I had kids, that place would be a heeeuge NOPE!
I'm gonna give it six months before we either see that place close down, or hear about some sort of child endangerment, molestation, or kidnapping from that address.

Careful what you say around here, or the pedos will downvote you like they did me!

#53 1 year ago

Oh man, someone get that Twin Cobra to a better place! Looking like filet mignon on the McDonald's menu.

#54 1 year ago

Some of the new Arcade1up’s come with sticker that looks like a coin door. I highly doubt they take coins.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Times are tough. Dude came up with an idea. He'll either sink or swim.

It's pretty obvious most of you are not familiar with West Virginia. The only poorer states in the country are New Mexico, Louisiana, and Mississippi. That guy's arcade building looks pretty good for around here! He's got fresh paint on the building, a paved parking lot, the roof looks good and not leaky, and the sidewalk's not all busted up in front of his place. It looks clean inside.
You'd be amazed at some of the things that pass for "businesses" in our area! Here are a couple of pics from our local bar's Facebook page. This place is actually open, and people go in there and drink and do karaoke. LOL.
Amoroso's Bar, Piedmont WV 2022Amoroso's Bar, Piedmont WV 2022
Here's a picture of the owner/chef/bartender. He's a really nice guy, he means well. He comes up a bit short in the execution, like many people around here...
WVBar2 (resized).jpgWVBar2 (resized).jpg
One of the sayings we hear a lot here in Piedmont WV is "we're doing the best we can with what we have!"
Translated, that means "We've done all we feel like doing right now and it's time to party!"
If you're looking for a cheap place to live, it can't be beat, though. My girlfriend and I live alone in what used to be a 5-unit apartment building. We have a 20,000 sq. ft. warehouse for a garage and storage unit, and a retail store on the main street that we will eventually rent out (maybe to a 1UP arcade! LOL probably not). Everything was paid for in cash, and we still haven't spent as much as we would have on a 2 bedroom condo in Colorado.
We make our own fun and depend on no one. We could live "normally" in a nicer area, but this allows us to do whatever the f**k we want and have all the space we could ever need. "Extreme Homes" was one of my favorite shows!
It's pretty amazing to see how different things are in different parts of the United States.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Oh lord, this news station is no more than the AV Club at the high school. The meet the staff page is wonderful.
I'm Ron Burgundy???
[quoted image]

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:It's pretty obvious most of you are not familiar with West Virginia. The only poorer states in the country are New Mexico, Louisiana, and Mississippi. That guy's arcade building looks pretty good for around here! He's got fresh paint on the building, a paved parking lot, the roof looks good and not leaky, and the sidewalk's not all busted up in front of his place. It looks clean inside.
You'd be amazed at some of the things that pass for "businesses" in our area! Here are a couple of pics from our local bar's Facebook page. This place is actually open, and people go in there and drink and do karaoke. LOL.
[quoted image]
Here's a picture of the owner/chef/bartender. He's a really nice guy, he means well. He comes up a bit short in the execution, like many people around here...
[quoted image]
One of the sayings we hear a lot here in Piedmont WV is "we're doing the best we can with what we have!"
Translated, that means "We've done all we feel like doing right now and it's time to party!"
If you're looking for a cheap place to live, it can't be beat, though. My girlfriend and I live alone in what used to be a 5-unit apartment building. We have a 20,000 sq. ft. warehouse for a garage and storage unit, and a retail store on the main street that we will eventually rent out (maybe to a 1UP arcade! LOL probably not). Everything was paid for in cash, and we still haven't spent as much as we would have on a 2 bedroom condo in Colorado.
We make our own fun and depend on no one. We could live "normally" in a nicer area, but this allows us to do whatever the f**k we want and have all the space we could ever need. "Extreme Homes" was one of my favorite shows!
It's pretty amazing to see how different things are in different parts of the United States.

Personally I thought people were being pretty harsh on the guy. Back in the day people were setting up "arcades" in any random building that had space available.

#58 1 year ago

Person opens arcade. Is accused of pedophelia. Pinside 2022. A place you want to be.

#59 1 year ago

I'm not sure what's worse.... an actual arcade cabinet with a 60-in-1 and an LCD screen or an arcade 1up

Still, I wish him luck and hope the arcade succeeds and grows. Any arcade is better than no arcade.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I'm not sure what's worse.... an actual arcade cabinet with a 60-in-1 and an LCD screen or an arcade 1up
Still, I wish him luck and hope the arcade succeeds and grows. Any arcade is better than no arcade.

My Moon Cresta that I have at work for residents has a 60 in 1. When I got it all the original hardware was long gone.

20221018_080133 (resized).jpg20221018_080133 (resized).jpg
#61 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My Moon Cresta that I have at work for residents has a 60 in 1. When I got it all the original hardware was long gone.
[quoted image]

200.gif200.gif
#62 1 year ago

Haters gonna hate. Yeah it's cheesy but I hope it grows and turns into a huge success. I'd rather see a new buisness open than an existing buisness close anyday.

#63 1 year ago

I've seen these in a commercial establishment before, and it made sense, but not the way these guys are doing it.

Spinners arcade in Fredrick Maryland has maybe 20 of these.

Here is their main arcade.

And here are the Arcade1up rooms in the back

It is a commercial arcade (well, really a charity non-profit) but you pay a fee for unlimited playtime on the pins and the arcades.

From what I've seen, people come in, spend 5 minutes on the 1ups if that, then move on to the real arcades and pins. They are also in the back sort of seperated off where it is a bit quieter, and the location actively caters to autistic kids so that kind of makes sense.

However, the gall of putting just one ups and charging an entrance fee is ridiculous. I have a handful or 1ups myself, and don't think they will stand up to commercial use. My racer has plastic pedals which are fine for home use but would get destroyed instantly on location. Big Buck hunter guns will break if dropped. The balls on the joysticks they have there will just twist off.

They are fine for home use but these will break quickly when abused like they no doubt will be. I had a Tempest 12 in 1 that broke within a week, got a replacement panel under warranty and it broke in under a week. I had one of those arcade legends and it broke within a month. Some models are better than others and they are great for what they are. Heck, I've gotten more bang for my buck out of my Outrun Racer than any pin or arcade I've ever had. But I don't see this working for more than a few months. Yes you can get replacements cheap, but these are totally unsuited for commercial use. On top of that, a cheap arcade with these types of games is not that expensive to put together. I can get a real GoldenTee cheaper than I can get the 1 up version. If you want an unlimited arcade, at or under the 1,000 mark per machine (as opposed to 600 for new oneups) you can about 1/2 of the games you see there. Maybe not the best examples but in an arcade setting kids don't care.

#64 1 year ago

No drinking or smoking. Didn't say anything about hard drugs. I bet they are allowed.

Put a row of 4 or 5 pins in there would help.

#65 1 year ago

Link no longer works? 404

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Link no longer works? 404

All the views from pinside overloaded their server

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

[quoted image]

damn, i just sold one too. i could of been 50% owner of this shedcade!

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese: However, the gall of putting just one ups and charging an entrance fee is ridiculous. I have a handful or 1ups myself, and don't think they will stand up to commercial use.

The gall? Really? If it works it works, if it fails so be it. Anyone who has the balls to start a small buisness that's hurting no one should be supported not ridiculed.

#69 1 year ago

It sure is easy to make fun of people, at least this guy has an idea and is trying to make something of himself. I dont know him but I hope he makes some money and improves his life. Some of you guys seem to have real personality problems.

#70 1 year ago

To prove my point about adding a working coin door, this is from four years ago:

https://imgur.com/gallery/vwXIDA3

Still don't know about the legality of charging per play on machines that were possibly only licensed for home use.

#71 1 year ago

To prove my point. Almost every new Arcade1up comes with a sticker that looks like a coin door. Furthermore the news article specifically says coin operated style games, not coin operated games. Not to mention that it’s highly illegal and not in the game code. Golden tee never says “insert more coins to keep playing” like a coin operated game.

4209CAD5-E0EB-47B8-8B3E-F991302AC148 (resized).png4209CAD5-E0EB-47B8-8B3E-F991302AC148 (resized).png

#72 1 year ago

To prove my point. Vision. It's what's used to see that in this picture, you'll notice that those single(versus all of those decals' double) coin entry slots are friggin' glowing(meaning a powered bulb) and that the coin door that is obviously used here matches exactly the model used in that Imgur post about how to add a coin door to a 1up.ba3a0e482a8a2439759a7b82901629681e2e8906 (resized).pngba3a0e482a8a2439759a7b82901629681e2e8906 (resized).png

If you take longer than .2 seconds to look at either the video or the pictures, you would've noticed that the doors are also three dimensional. Those must be some fancy decals!
3D (resized).png3D (resized).png

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

It's pretty obvious most of you are not familiar with West Virginia. The only poorer states in the country are New Mexico, Louisiana, and Mississippi. That guy's arcade building looks pretty good for around here! He's got fresh paint on the building, a paved parking lot, the roof looks good and not leaky, and the sidewalk's not all busted up in front of his place. It looks clean inside.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

This post puts everything into perspective

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

This post puts everything into perspective

Yeah, I don't fault the guy at all. If he thinks he can make money then more power to him. I lived in Mississippi for a while, if this place was there back then I would have probably stopped by to play a game or two.

I was just curious on how he put the coin doors on the 1ups. You would have to custom fit them through the particle board - then you would have to modify it to actually hold a coin box... wire it into the game so that it would control the credits... and so on. It is a puzzling amount of effort to get it to work. I wonder if someone has created a mod for it?

The other thing... the actual production quality of the news segment is way funnier than the arcade. Again, I lived in a small town in Mississippi and our daily "lost dog" segment was waaaay better produced than this video.

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

To prove my point. Vision. It's what's used to see that in this picture, you'll notice that those single(versus all of those decals' double) coin entry slots are friggin' glowing(meaning a powered bulb) and that the coin door that is obviously used here matches exactly the model used in that Imgur post about how to add a coin door to a 1up.[quoted image]
If you take longer than .2 seconds to look at either the video or the pictures, you would've noticed that the doors are also three dimensional. Those must be some fancy decals!
[quoted image]

I’ll settle your argument. You are both right… or wrong (depending if you are a glass half full or empty kinda guy)

The newer 1ups ship with a cheap coin door molded plastic. It is not a decal. Here is a picture of my Dragon’s Lair… and I can confirm that it is just a molded piece of plastic without a coin mec behind it

00A35787-3803-4C05-A329-6E2D91484A49 (resized).jpeg00A35787-3803-4C05-A329-6E2D91484A49 (resized).jpeg
#76 1 year ago

Google "modding an arcade1up to take quarters" looks like they even make kits to do it

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I’ll settle your argument. You are both right… or wrong (depending if you are a glass half full or empty kinda guy)
The newer 1ups ship with a cheap coin door molded plastic. It is not a decal. Here is a picture of my Dragon’s Lair… and I can confirm that it is just a molded piece of plastic without a coin mec behind it[quoted image]

That's pretty cool they stepped up.

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

The newer 1ups ship with a cheap coin door molded plastic. It is not a decal. Here is a picture of my Dragon’s Lair… and I can confirm that it is just a molded piece of plastic without a coin mec behind it

I know. I think they look pretty good, too. I did see a couple of those in the footage, as well. My argument was strictly about the ones you can plainly see match the mod and door I posted earlier. Also, these are double coin slot doors, not singles as seen in the pictures and footage. It's pretty obvious this guy, or someone he bought these from, added working coin doors to these machines. And that might be the sad part; If he bought these machines from someone thinking, or was even told, he could operate them, without knowledge of the Arcade1Up EULA, he might be in for some legal trouble he's not expecting. That would really suck.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

That's pretty cool they stepped up.

the dragons lair is bad ass

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I know. I think they look pretty good, too. I did see a couple of those in the footage, as well. My argument was strictly about the ones you can plainly see match the mod and door I posted earlier. Also, these are double coin slot doors, not singles as seen in the pictures and footage. It's pretty obvious this guy, or someone he bought these from, added working coin doors to these machines. And that might be the sad part; If he bought these machines from someone thinking, or was even told, he could operate them, without knowledge of the Arcade1Up EULA, he might be in for some legal trouble he's not expecting. That would really suck.

Do you agree to a EULA when you buy a 1Up? I’m sure 1Up has a license agreement to not sell coin op versions of the IP but the consumer isn’t party to that agreement.

Who is 1Up to say what the owner does or does not do with his purchase?

#81 1 year ago

Bad file

3175716_0[1] (resized).jpg3175716_0[1] (resized).jpg
#82 1 year ago

I get your perspective but give the establishment owner a break. Maybe the place will appeal to casual arcaders and serve a purpose. Just because those of us who grew up in the golden age of the arcade during the 80's (well, I did but don't know about you), doesn't mean that us arcade snobs have to belittle the place. As long as it's a good place for teens to hang and stay out of trouble or for a 50 something to hang out for an evening to recapture their youth, I'm fine with it even though I would never visit myself.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

the dragons lair is bad ass

Yeah, it is pretty cool. I had an original with a laser disc, up until about 6 months ago, but I didn’t play it enough to justify keeping it.

#84 1 year ago

Nope, still only second
An arcade opened up for a short time about 8 years ago
They had four pinball machines, the newest one was a Williams Big Deal EM

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Who is 1Up to say what the owner does or does not do with his purchase?

The license agreement they make with the owners of the IP and software dictate the markets and environments that A1U is allowed to sell to and in. I'm fairly certain these machines are not only not manufactured with commercial use in mind(as they're made of pretty thin, cheap stuff), but their license agreements most likely specifically state that they can not be operated commercially as it violates not only their end user agreement, but A1U's license agreement with the original designers, authors, manufacturers, and distributors of the games.

There's got to be some of that legal jargon on the box, or on some sort of sheet in the box somewhere with these things. If there isn't, and it's not on a splash screen or somewhere in the menu system on these A1U's, then you're right, they can be operated commercially. However, I'd still want to beef them up with better panels and better joysticks and buttons. But at that point, you're looking at a never ending cycle of upkeep and replacing parts so you might as well just buy a real arcade cab of whatever games you want to have in there.

#86 1 year ago

I have two Arcade1Up machines. Star Wars and the new Yoga Flame Capcom Legacy. I got them both for well under MSRP. 2 people playing Street Fighter is very uncomfortable. Me and my Granddaughter will play and her hands / arm will bump into my buttons 3 and 6. So two adults playing against each other is just a mess.

Seeing this brought back memories of the old days where shady arcade operators would set up a Super Nintendo (Not the Nintendo Super System hardware) inside an arcade cabinet so people could play the SNES version of Street Fighter 2.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from Moomert1:

Seeing this brought back memories of the old days where shady arcade operators would set up a Super Nintendo (Not the Nintendo Super System hardware) inside an arcade cabinet so people could play the SNES version of Street Fighter 2.

Wow I've never come across something like that in an arcade but it does remind me of certain video rental stores that allowed you to try out SNES games on a TV set up. Good times.

#88 1 year ago

I can’t tell you how much I hate Arcade1Ups. That being said, if they ever do a Kozmik Krooz’r / Wacko combo, I’ll be a buyer. It would be cool to convert it into a little fridge to keep my beer cold while I play the real thing.
20220801_123025 (resized).jpg20220801_123025 (resized).jpg

#89 1 year ago

I have 7 Arcade1up machines and really hope the come out with a SNK cabinet with the rotary LS30 joysticks. Put in ikari warriors, victory road, guerrilla war, Bermuda Triangle, and (most importantly) S.A.R. Search and Rescue

84AD9D07-5D96-47D6-B766-ED61757F93AE (resized).jpeg84AD9D07-5D96-47D6-B766-ED61757F93AE (resized).jpeg

It does get cramped having 2 adults playing on one game.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-arcade-ever-/page/2?hl=moomert1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.