Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gplayball3.jpg
4.jpg
targets.jpg
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Which pin have you ever played or owned had the worst airball problem?

I'm going to go with Lost In Space, the one I own. At least, so far.

Reason: When the ball is shot hard and it catches the upper lip of the spinner disc opening, it launches it up and into that poor little robot, time and time again. The ball flies off the playfield like a redirected hockey puck! Surprising, poor little robot hasn't broken yet.

Also, the "launched" ball likes to get stuck between the plastic "sandwich" on the middle right side of the playfield under the Bubble Jet Fighter. Also way up in the upper right playfield corner behind the 3 colored flasher domes.

BTW, this is one of my favorite no frills, just plain fun to play pins!

#2 9 years ago

TFLE before the airball fix

#3 9 years ago

Tron with a new disc rubber. =P

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Tron with a new disc rubber. =P

With a new clear disc rubber even more. Game is crazy with those.

#5 9 years ago

Gotta say TWDLE's left ramp.

#6 9 years ago

Any modern Stern title especially Metallica. They need to tune down sling power or have people able to adjust them. Metallica you can now adjust it in the code but that is the only title I can think of that you can do that on Stern title's. The slings will just bounce them back and forth with increasing speed until either A) It goes airborne B) It just hops over the sling upon impact and drains, hard.

#7 9 years ago

Not sure on modern games, but I always get a ton of airballs on Seawitch

#8 9 years ago

any game where stand up targets are leaning back and forming mini ramps.

#9 9 years ago

DE simpsons...the drop targets when down would allow the ball to hit rubber and go airborne. Before I bent the metal rail back the ball would smack the side of the cabinet, really hard...

#10 9 years ago

Champion Pub with the two ramps. I've seen cracked glass with those airballs

Post edited by MinusWorlds: I done f'd up

#11 9 years ago

Hands down, Champion Pub.

#12 9 years ago

Ironman

#13 9 years ago

How about the spook house target on cyclone.
I'm really just waiting for the glass break.

It's a really short shot and the ball comes off it pretty violent.

#14 9 years ago

The Sopranos. Off of the center drop target.

#15 9 years ago

F 14 is super fast. Champion pub is my #1 pick

#16 9 years ago

Full Throtle... played it at Expo and I think the ball was in the air more than it was on the playfield.

#17 9 years ago

The cop drop target on Monopoly makes so many air balls. Still doesn't beat Champion Pub though.

#18 9 years ago

For me, I think it was Lethal Weapon until I got a DE Star Wars. F-ing brutal airballs chucked back into the launcher and all over the damn place.

#19 9 years ago

TZ is the king air balls, in my collection. The ball flies over the left wire form, right into the left outlane.

#20 9 years ago

With a fresh wax and new balls, IJ has lots of balls that climb the center drop targets and generally cause havoc.

#21 9 years ago
#22 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

With a fresh wax and new balls, IJ has lots of balls that climb the center drop targets and generally cause havoc.

My IJ has its share of air balls too. However, they generally don't cause any issues.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

My IJ has its share of air balls too. However, they generally don't cause any issues.

When I first got mine, the left wireform was broken and thats what most of the air balls struck. Replacing the drop targets helped but I still get them.

#24 9 years ago

AFM and IJ are two of the worst.

#25 9 years ago

IJ at least has code to give your ball back if it flies off the drops and down the left outlane.
I seem to get a fair few off the centre Greed target in TZ (next to the slot machine)

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 9 years ago

Corvette. Particularly off the Million target. I routinely get it to bounce up onto the right wireform.

My IJ only did it when the drop targets would reset with the ball on top of them.

#28 9 years ago

IM VE and TWD pro. Constant air balls from the slings draining you on the outlanes. Stern needs to town down the power of these slings a tad.

#30 9 years ago

DE simpsons. Broke many plastics and once the drops are down it gets worse!

#31 9 years ago

LW3...my 2nd D.E. game beside Batman, I never owned anything but Bally/Williams before that. I was amazed how the balls smashed around the pf. The other major airball game in my collection was D.E. Star Wars...after a while you learn not to replace the broken plastics cause after 20 games or so they're broken again.

#32 9 years ago

NGG wins best air ball

#33 9 years ago

Hey Pdxmonkey! I agree it has one of the best airballs on purpose for sure! Ranks up there with the lotr ring shot

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I seem to get a fair few off the centre Greed target in TZ (next to the slot machine)

The target might be bent back.I get zero air from mine.I only try to backhand the slot machine.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

The target might be bent back.I get zero air from mine.I only try to backhand the slot machine.

my tz has no airballs either. He must have a bad target or missing target foam. Steve from pbr makes a super target for this.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Steve from pbr makes a super target for this.

I bought 3 reinforced yellow targets awhile back 2 for totan which work much better and one for tz when it needs it.

#37 9 years ago

Jungle Lord, the middle ramp to the top playfield.

#38 9 years ago

That's interesting... Mine never airballs (and I play the heck out of it). I wonder why?

#39 9 years ago

There are a few exceptions, but i don't think that certain machines produce airballs in general.

I hardly ever have any airballs on any of my pins AFTER giving them some TLC. Worn out, bent or loose targets, misaligned wire ramps or ballguides are sources for airballs. Just needs a lot of adjusting and fine tuning (especially bending the latches with which targets are mounted to the PF to make it slightly face downwards when mounted) to get everything working perfectly right.

What i do have a lot after restoring the machines, especially WPC95s, is the slings "throwing" the ball into the opposite outlane. Looser slingshot rubbers help reduce this effect but don't eliminate it completely.

#40 9 years ago

Pharaoh. every middle ramp shot hits the glass.

CV and MSF as the toy is designed to throw the ball.

-c

#41 9 years ago

Checkpoint's center drop targets get me all the time.

#42 9 years ago

Robocop the center stand ups are brutal

#43 9 years ago

The ball smacking the glass on the left return ramp of WH2O is so iconic that they put it into the virtual ports of the game.

About IJ: I replaced my center bank drop targets and re-adjusted the flippers and the airballs decreased drastically. Someone told me that the targets flex and bend more when they get older and can bend back and assist in airballs. If the flippers are riding too high in the bushings, they can put spin on the ball when making contact which leads to poor ball control and even airballs.

I don't know which one was most effective because I did both at once, but they definitely helped.

#44 9 years ago

Shadow

Left ramp targets. ALWAYS airballs

#45 9 years ago

The Shadow

#46 9 years ago

How about the game with least number of airballs?

4.jpg4.jpg

gplayball3.jpggplayball3.jpg

#47 9 years ago

No way!
I hardly ever have airballs on the Shadow and i've got very strong flippers in there.

Remove the targets, use heavy duty pliers and bend so the red arrowed angle is decreased (mounted, the targets should aways be slightly tiltet downwards toward the PF). Of course, the stiff rear blade of the target also needs to be completely straight.targets.jpgtargets.jpg

#48 9 years ago

My first BF seemed to be an airball monster. The current one has a few, but it is really tame in comparison. The old one would have me taking off the glass every few games to retrieve a ball.

#49 9 years ago

Nice topic. I had a Stern Meteor for a while. I set it really steep (8-9 degrees). It was super difficult, but played really well. The flippers were perfect. Perhaps an operator "upgraded" the coils at some point, because the ball hit the glass every game at some point. The ball also bounced around beautifully of that spinner shot. Great game. Mine was definitely a glass abuser though

#50 9 years ago

Simpsons DE has some crazy airballs. Sometimes hits the glass so hard it's surprising it doesn't break. Really, most of those early DEs are pretty notorious for airballs. Flippers are powerful as all hell it seems on them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-airball-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.