Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by RyThom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hitler_pinball.jpg
    12oclock.jpg
    ratpatrolsmall.jpg
    IMAG0943.jpg
    IMAG0941.jpg
    image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMAG0091370261037.jpg
    army_men.jpg
    Hitler_baby.jpg
    eagle_of_the_third_reich_wallpaper_by_.jpg
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Unless a cool movie is made, I doubt it will happen. Even then I doubt it would happen as it would be too polarizing. A good portion of Europe and Asia wouldn't like the theme. Would probably only sell in the US and maybe England.

Why wouldn't we like that in Europe? WW 1 and 2 is pretty big business here. There's reenactment, tours, loads of museums, collectors, miniature gaming ... Really no reason why this wouldn't sell in Europe. Even Germany got over it already.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Instead of WW2 (which would alienate some people and not do well with a younger crowd) do a Steam Punk pinball or something like the current "Bio-Shock" video game.

There's a guy who's building a custom Bioshock game:

http://poormanspinball.blogspot.com/

Looks sweet!

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Why on earth would wwII not have any interest in europe?
    Are you guys crazy?

In some countries in Europe, recreating any type of Nazi symbolism is illegal.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

The Russians raping of over two million German women after the defeat.

Not condoning the atrocities of war.

My ex's take on this ( she was half Russian and half Ukrainian, and lost relatives in the war ) was that a soldier is thousands of miles from home. His wife and children murdered, his farm burned. He had nothing to go back to. And a woman walks by.

When Berlin fell, not even Zukov could have held back an army that had suffered and fought for years. You train people to kill and morals go out the window.

Neither Russia or Germany signed the Geneva peace accords. Neither side had a good record of taking care of prisoners or returning them. Neither side were kind to civilians.

War is hell.

LTG

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

War is hell.

I should of said, war is worse than hell.

There are no innocent bystanders in hell.

LTG

#56 10 years ago

War pin theme is ok if the adversary is imagined (AFM, SST) or unnamed (MM) , but to me WWII seems a little to close to the bone having parents and other relatives that went through it and the pain and suffering it brought. I know there have been tons of movies and shows that mined humor from it and I guess a WWII themed pin would have to go that route. Maybe something of a Battlefield pin with more or less unnamed sides. A pin that had "atrocity modes" in it wouldn't really be to my liking. It would have to be one hell of a game. IMHO

#57 10 years ago

No, I wouldn't want to go near atrocities either, Axis or Allied. Tank and factory targets to hit, ramps to simulate sea battles, would be fine.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I should of said, war is worse than hell.
    There are no innocent bystanders in hell.
    LTG

That is true. My parents were lucky to survive.

#60 10 years ago

A ww2 pin would be cool! You would be able to liberate different countries, collecting and using various weapons and tactics! Widebody with a shaker!

#61 10 years ago

Not all Germans were Nazis. My parents were civilian Germans who managed to Escape after the war. No one would even believe the truths that are mostly forgotten now.

Ja, das stimmt so!

I was born German, and hate the the Nazi stain; not all Germans fall into that catagory. As a retired 23 year USAF veteran, I implore those reading to 'Never Forget' those who sacrificed for our freedom.

#62 10 years ago

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a political discussion about war............

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a political discussion about war............

I 100% agree, this is about pinball! Sorry if I hijacked the thread. My apologies!

On topic: I'd love to see a Saving Private Ryan, as well as a John Wayne 'Sgt. Stryker' themed pin.

Post edited by balbers : clarification

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

Nope, WW2 just brings up some very tough memories for a lot of people. A WW2 themed pin could work but there are a lot of land mines to dodge.

The Hogans Heros idea made me chuckle. Pure comedy, that would work for me.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a political discussion about war....

My nationality is Pinnish. 100% pure blood Pinnish. We're neutral. And we like pie.

The reason a WWII pin won't happen is because the demographic it appeals to is too old. Old folks don't spend money on something as frivolous as a pinball machine. Same reason why we haven't seen anything vaguely resembling a western theme since CC.

#66 10 years ago

A WW2 themed pin could work but there are a lot of land mines to dodge.

Yea, that's true. It's a theme where developpers can't just go all the way. And while i really like the theme (I'm a WW2 and vietnam conflict militaria collector myself) I don't really see it happen in the near future. Which is a shame...

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

In some countries in Europe, recreating any type of Nazi symbolism is illegal.

Are you serious? Off course its banned. Only fools use it.

You can have a wwII pin without using sick stuff like proposed in his treat, like deathcamp le.

How low can you go. I cant believe it that a mod dont delete those unbelievable stupid "jokes".

2 years later
    #68 8 years ago

For the Jarheads

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#69 8 years ago

And for the Navy....

image.jpgimage.jpg

#70 8 years ago

1942 pinIMAG0943.jpgIMAG0943.jpgIMAG0941.jpgIMAG0941.jpg

#71 8 years ago

I don't think it's an unpopular theme. You have countless WW2 online games on Playstation, Xbox, etc. I don't know if Medal of Honor is still going, but that's a very popular gaming series.

At the same time, I can also understand how it may be a sensitive theme for many.

#72 8 years ago

These would work.
    ratpatrolsmall.jpgratpatrolsmall.jpg
    12oclock.jpg12oclock.jpg

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

I know that right now most of the pinballs being made are based on licenses, but has there ever been a pinball based on World War Two? The thought's been bugging me the last couple days.

It's been two years since you asked, but if you get the bug again: If you go to the IPDB and click on [Advanced Search], there is a field called "Game Theme" where I laboriously populate in each (older) listing with as many terms as I can think of (or will fit in the space) that will pull up a list of games with a common theme. It's not perfect and may not pull them all up under a single term. For World War II, you can try these terms and see what you get:

World War II
    Warfare
    Wartime
    Combat
    Air Corps
    Army
    Marines
    Naval
    Navy
    Military
    Aircraft
    Airplanes
    Airports
    Aviation
    Flying
    Historical
    Patriotic
    Nautical

Other themes include:

History
    Music
    Singing
    Dancing
    Drinking
    Girls
    Women
    American Places
    Foreign Places
    Boats
    Happiness
    Swimming
    Water
    Billiards
    Western
    Space Travel
    Travel
    Outer Space
    Fantasy
    Entertainment
    Theater

and plenty more. Just think about a word describing the art theme of a game that you like and try searching on it.

My personal favorite that no one would ever think to try:

Ecdysiast

Jay

#74 8 years ago

Already banned in Japan!

=======================================

Japan bars Hitler as pinball machine name
    Associated Press ^ | Oct. 20, 2004

Posted on 10/21/2004, 1:11:39 PM by Area Freeper

Japan's patent office has blocked a company from making "pachinko" pinball machines named after Adolf Hitler, Moses and other historical figures, officials said Wednesday.

Fuji Shoji Co., based in Osaka, submitted the names of 34 well-known people, including the Wright Brothers and Tchaikovsky, for trademarks on their garish, upright pinball machines.

The Patent Office rejected the applications in May, Fuji said, but word of the decision was first publicized in Japan this week.

The office is barred from granting trademarks that may disrupt public order and morals, a patent official said. He refused to provide further details.

Kyodo News agency also quoted an unidentified official as saying that using the Nazi dictator's name as a trademark could violate the spirit of Japan's pacifist postwar constitution.

Nobuhide Tonaka, a spokesman for Fuji, said the names were chosen at random from the world's "famous people" and that no offense was intended. "But we failed to pay close consideration, and we regret that very much," he said.

Brightly lit pachinko parlors are everywhere in Japan, clustered around city train stations or along country roads. The games often feature panels illustrated with scantily clad female comic book characters or action heroes. Fuji has produced machines with motifs from the movie Ghostbusters and the TV series Thunderbirds.

General knowledge of the Holocaust is limited in Japan.

Hitler_pinball.jpgHitler_pinball.jpg

#75 8 years ago

You might be able to do a Wolfenstein license or something.

#76 8 years ago

That Hitler Pinball backglass looks like concept art for Bionic Commando.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-war-two-themed-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.