D1800BFC-7FC5-44C7-A5D9-F4EED8EC0AA5 (resized).jpeg
8C85BFCF-7AFE-4DB3-A70B-4DB0313A10E4 (resized).jpeg
286323460_757367712301053_7458703656827351659_n (resized).jpg
detail (resized).jpg
IMG_6891 (resized).JPG
Coil on shooter lane (resized).jpg
IMG_0381 (resized).JPG
IMG_20220202_123229.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1123 2 years ago

Hey! I'm new here. Bought my WPT back in December as a project machine. It's been around: since its birth in Chicago it was shipped to Spain, where it was probably routed. It somehow ended up in Czech Republic, where it was bought by the previous owner and taken to The Netherlands.

The machine was dirty as hell when I bought it and was definitely never shopped before. It also had the notorious reset issues, which is why the original CPU has been sent away for repair. Luckily, for now, I was able to get my hands on a loaner CPU.

I've put leds (Comet Sunlight 2smd) in the GI to brighten it up. Some extra GI added in darker spots, mainly behind the right drop targets and the VUK. I've fitted the pop bumpers with Britecaps Evo and love how that looks.

The feature lights are all led too, with a Led OCD board installed to make them fade like they should. Looks great. The rubbers are Glow-in-the-Dark, which gives a cool green glow to them when the machine turns off the GI while you play in a dark room.

I've replaced the kitchy original silver t-molding for black/silver, which looks much better. For the ugly machine that WPT is, I like to think this one really turned out quite nice.

I'm using Pinball Browser to tweak the bland original soundtrack. The goal: to make the machine more appealing to play because of the variety in its soundtrack. The main track stays the same, while all modes get their own track to fit that specific mode. This really makes it feel more like an accomplishment when you reach a certain goal. It also makes it easy to know which mode is running without having to check the display.

Up until now I've been able to cram these artists in there: Kenny Rogers, ZZ Top, Elvis, George Strait, Clint Black, Lady Gaga, 2 Unlimited, Bruce Springsteen, Kanye West & Jay-Z, Faithless & Avicii, Yello, Motörhead, Beach Boys, Boney M, 2-Pac & Dr. Dre. So yeah, quite a mixed bag. But I do think it works well. Especially since the theme of poker does not really have its own distinctive soundtrack or style. (I would never do this to my LotR )

I'll post a video of the machine in action with its new soundtrack once that's sort of finished. If anybody has any music or sound recommendations that work well: let me know!
IMG_20220202_123242.jpgIMG_20220202_123242.jpg
IMG_20220202_123229.jpgIMG_20220202_123229.jpg
IMG_20220202_123039.jpgIMG_20220202_123039.jpg
IMG_20220202_123100.jpgIMG_20220202_123100.jpg
IMG_20220202_123201.jpgIMG_20220202_123201.jpg
IMG_20220202_123143.jpgIMG_20220202_123143.jpg
IMG_20220202_123112.jpgIMG_20220202_123112.jpg
IMG_20220202_123216.jpgIMG_20220202_123216.jpg
IMG_20220202_123131.jpgIMG_20220202_123131.jpg

1 week later
#1125 2 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Hey! I'm new here. Bought my WPT back in December as a project machine. It's been around: since its birth in Chicago it was shipped to Spain, where it was probably routed. It somehow ended up in Czech Republic, where it was bought by the previous owner and taken to The Netherlands.
The machine was dirty as hell when I bought it and was definitely never shopped before. It also had the notorious reset issues, which is why the original CPU has been sent away for repair. Luckily, for now, I was able to get my hands on a loaner CPU.
I've put leds (Comet Sunlight 2smd) in the GI to brighten it up. Some extra GI added in darker spots, mainly behind the right drop targets and the VUK. I've fitted the pop bumpers with Britecaps Evo and love how that looks.
The feature lights are all led too, with a Led OCD board installed to make them fade like they should. Looks great. The rubbers are Glow-in-the-Dark, which gives a cool green glow to them when the machine turns off the GI while you play in a dark room.
I've replaced the kitchy original silver t-molding for black/silver, which looks much better. For the ugly machine that WPT is, I like to think this one really turned out quite nice.
I'm using Pinball Browser to tweak the bland original soundtrack. The goal: to make the machine more appealing to play because of the variety in its soundtrack. The main track stays the same, while all modes get their own track to fit that specific mode. This really makes it feel more like an accomplishment when you reach a certain goal. It also makes it easy to know which mode is running without having to check the display.
Up until now I've been able to cram these artists in there: Kenny Rogers, ZZ Top, Elvis, George Strait, Clint Black, Lady Gaga, 2 Unlimited, Bruce Springsteen, Kanye West & Jay-Z, Faithless & Avicii, Yello, Motörhead, Beach Boys, Boney M, 2-Pac & Dr. Dre. So yeah, quite a mixed bag. But I do think it works well. Especially since the theme of poker does not really have its own distinctive soundtrack or style. (I would never do this to my LotR )
I'll post a video of the machine in action with its new soundtrack once that's sort of finished. If anybody has any music or sound recommendations that work well: let me know!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Hmm, gotta be honest: I expected a bit more interest in or even enthusiasm for a new member with a nice looking copy of the game and workings on a new soundtrack.

What's up, WPT community? Are you even alive?

1 month later
#1135 2 years ago

Welcome to the clubs, @shaqatak! The pinball club and the WPT club, that is.

You chose a lovely game to start your collection with! WPT is very challenging. Does yours have the most recent software? It's worth it.

1 month later
#1141 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I see the upper rear left gate has been removed...I believe that is a mod for this machine...can someone explain what removing that gate does?

It gives the game a better flow. Makes the right orbit a loop shot instead of it ending in the pop pumpers for no apparent reason.

I read somewhere that Steve Ritchie designed both orbit shots to loop back to the flippers. In comes Gary Stern, who wants more pop bumper action. Bad idea, but hey... it's the boss. Hence the useless one-way gate.

The game is much better off without it.

#1144 1 year ago
Quoted from misterschu:

I disagree actually, i think the gate makes the game more dynamic, without the gate it's fully symmetrical, the gate changes that. It also makes the mystery shot easier which is good as that shot can get very tough when the vuk gate gets even slightly bent.
The gate also makes all in multi-ball slightly harder by reducing ball speed from left orbit shots (in addition to removing double spinner right orbits). With juiced spinners, and two full loop orbits all in multi-ball is a very feasible tournament strategy. Diverting balls to the pops adds more danger to the right orbit and increases the value of side pots more often making them more valuable in multi-ball.

That's another way of looking at it. I guess it's a luxury that us owners can choose our preference and either keep or remove the gate.

#1150 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Just picked one up and interested to know about the batteries as well.
Also, is the PF diamond coated? Not sure if I should be cleaning it with novus 1 or naptha

WPT is clearcoated, like all modern Sterns are. However, the clear is thinner than Bally/WMS WPC games.

5 months later
#1176 1 year ago

I said goodbye to my WPT this week. Loved the game, but my collection is too small for 2 fan layout Sterns with Keith Johnson software... and LOTR won it on theme and artwork.

I will miss the game, but it found a good home.

5 months later
#1187 1 year ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

What are the common problems, wear items on this title ? On the look out to pick one up. Any advice?

The first run of SAM boards that WPT uses sometimes has an intermittent reset issue. As far as I know, the board needs to be sent to Stern for repair if your game has this problem.

Considering wear, the mini playfield tends to develop scratches. This can be polished and buffed out, but replacements are also available.

Apart from this, WPT was a very stable title for the time I owned it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-poker-tour-pinball-club?tu=jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.