Topic Stats

• 889 posts
  • 164 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 209 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190613_192040 (resized).jpg
20190613_192107 (resized).jpg
20190613_192053 (resized).jpg
EFEF74B2-49F3-4E2B-A394-87047E2B4D34.jpeg
8EC65A77-9D77-42AE-99AC-A628AA1575AE.jpeg
53C00FDA-7A4B-4C0D-BB2D-5A93BA02E714.jpeg
AC07ACBD-6499-4CFC-BE90-5DC7F7C90524.jpeg
IMG_20190518_022848 (resized).jpg
Bladeb (resized).jpg
Bladea (resized).jpg
IMG_20190511_161626 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190511_161613 (resized).jpg
SternSB165 (resized).png
WPTplfld (resized).jpg
2019-03-24 - WPTscoreTOP (resized).jpg
IMG_0985 (resized).jpeg

There are 889 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 18.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Thinking about joining up but have a question about price. Would $2500 be about right for something in above average shape?

Yeah, grab that baby. $2,500 bucks for a sweet game with super deep rules in above average shape!!! Get it...... now!!!

QSS

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Thinking about joining up but have a question about price. Would $2500 be about right for something in above average shape?

I just got mine and I'm telling you it's worth every penny of $2500. If it had better artwork and speech it would be in the mid 3000s. Its so deep with so much to do. I can't get enough of it.

#404 3 years ago

Right on thanks for the responses! Pretty sure I have a trade in place and will be scooping it up next weekend. Will report back!

#405 3 years ago

Nothing on this game bothers me, it's one of the best hidden gems of a game in the hobby. Truly a masterpiece.

1 week later
#406 3 years ago

Picked up WPT! Has a few issues I need to work through. Starting the first game starts 2 players. Half the flashers arent working and not sure if this is normal, but the drop targets seems to be going ape shit when resetting. Ill have to watch vids to see whats normal, but hopefully all easy fixes.

Edit: Flashers are just burnt bulbs. The drop targets need the bulletin fix. Haven't had the 2 player upon start issue again...

#407 3 years ago

In the club myself as well. I have a few questions.

1. Having an intermittent issue with the left ramp optos. Sometimes they are triggering on their own. Switch test doesn't show them activating until I cut the beam manually by hand. Any ideas? It's not happening all the time, the solder on the optos seems fine and the wire to under the playfield is a solid connection.

2. Is anyone aware of a rule sheet existing for this game? I can't seem to find one on the 'net. I am pretty familiar with the game already but wanted to see if there were any minute details that I'm missing.

3. How much of a pain is it to lift that upper playfield? I'd like to install some pop bumper light up caps, as well as change out the rubbers down there. Also, are there any methods to spruce up that upper playfield plastic? Mine is a little smokey.

#408 3 years ago

1. Just a general guess, but have you cleaned the optos? Maybe they are misaligned? Can you bang on the playfield near the optos to trigger them? Reflowing the solder might not hurt.

2. I'm guessing you're aware of Raymond Davidson's video tutorial (on YouTube) but I've never seen a written rulesheet.

Enjoyed your AGDQ playing of this game. Hoping to join the WPT club myself one day.

Quoted from akm:

In the club myself as well. I have a few questions.
1. Having an intermittent issue with the left ramp optos. Sometimes they are triggering on their own. Switch test doesn't show them activating until I cut the beam manually by hand. Any ideas? It's not happening all the time, the solder on the optos seems fine and the wire to under the playfield is a solid connection.
2. Is anyone aware of a rule sheet existing for this game? I can't seem to find one on the 'net. I am pretty familiar with the game already but wanted to see if there were any minute details that I'm missing.
3. How much of a pain is it to lift that upper playfield? I'd like to install some pop bumper light up caps, as well as change out the rubbers down there. Also, are there any methods to spruce up that upper playfield plastic? Mine is a little smokey.

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm peeing on the seat, give me a raise!

3981222_(resized).jpg

#410 3 years ago

Im changing over to LED and notice MANY of the #44 bulb sockets are really loose, almost like they are breaking when changing them out. Bulbs are wiggling around in them and aren't making 100% contact. This is my first stern.... is this a known issue? Even putting the old incadescent bulbs in them they are still loose. One completely broke off from the base!

#411 3 years ago
Quoted from williams:

1. Just a general guess, but have you cleaned the optos? Maybe they are misaligned? Can you bang on the playfield near the optos to trigger them? Reflowing the solder might not hurt.

I have cleaned them. Alignment seems good (they are triggering perfectly when I do so manually, and they are shining through nice and bright). Banging on the game doesn't do anything. It's weird--I had the game on all last night, and they didn't trigger falsely once. It seems inconsistent, but when it happens, it happens a lot. I remember having the same issue on my Stern Rolling Stones, and after a while the issue just went away. It made no sense.

Quoted from williams:

2. I'm guessing you're aware of Raymond Davidson's video tutorial (on YouTube) but I've never seen a written rulesheet.

I watched that a long time ago, but I'll have to take another look at it now that I actually own the machine. I understand most of the rules pretty well, but what I'm after is the super subtle stuff that is far from obvious.

Maybe I should do some glass off triggering and consider slapping together a rulesheet myself in the future. Videos are great, but having something in writing next to you while playing is great too.

Quoted from williams:

Enjoyed your AGDQ playing of this game. Hoping to join the WPT club myself one day.

Thanks! It's a super fun game and I find it quite addictive (so much so, that after AGDQ, I had to buy one).

#412 3 years ago

I know I'd love to know what happens in the Keefer Invitational. Seems like no one has ever really said what it does, other than it takes forever to get there!

#413 3 years ago

I joined the WPT club 2 months ago and it is truly a great pin, but you really need to know the rules to appreciate it.

Got one question, for me the flippers on my and many other WPT's (and LOTR for that matter) need a little more power.
What is the best way to achieve this?

#414 3 years ago

Anyone want to sell a nice one to me near Memphis?

#415 3 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I have cleaned them. Alignment seems good (they are triggering perfectly when I do so manually, and they are shining through nice and bright). Banging on the game doesn't do anything. It's weird--I had the game on all last night, and they didn't trigger falsely once. It seems inconsistent, but when it happens, it happens a lot. I remember having the same issue on my Stern Rolling Stones, and after a while the issue just went away. It made no sense.

I watched that a long time ago, but I'll have to take another look at it now that I actually own the machine. I understand most of the rules pretty well, but what I'm after is the super subtle stuff that is far from obvious.
Maybe I should do some glass off triggering and consider slapping together a rulesheet myself in the future. Videos are great, but having something in writing next to you while playing is great too.

Thanks! It's a super fun game and I find it quite addictive (so much so, that after AGDQ, I had to buy one).

try a different opto board, the one that goes under the playfield. They're like $15 new at pinballlife.com
While you're there, order new stern opto set, it's cheap. You'll probably be all set after this.

#416 3 years ago
Quoted from williams:

I know I'd love to know what happens in the Keefer Invitational. Seems like no one has ever really said what it does, other than it takes forever to get there!

i've been close. The one that got me was ''no limit multiball'' It's just hard to get 25 million worth during that.

And, if you fail the WPT championship and drain out, it's no dice for you. (WPT Championship= doing enough shots that equal 10 million)

#417 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckie:

Got one question, for me the flippers on my and many other WPT's (and LOTR for that matter) need a little more power.
What is the best way to achieve this?

Have you rebuilt them?

What are you looking for in terms of additional power? (And how do you feel about replacing drop targets?)

#418 3 years ago

yes the flippers are rebuild and they play nicely and more important consistantly.
Played many WPT's over the years and a lot lose power to the flippers after some intense playing.
And with the long shots on wpt any loss of power makes the ramps very deifficult.
I mentioned LOTR because I feel a lot of lotr have that same loss of power which makes the ring shot impossible.

But what I want is a bit stronger flippers on the wpt so ramp shots will be easier.

don't understand your question about the drop targets? the drop targets on my wpt are just fine.

#419 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckie:

don't understand your question about the drop targets? the drop targets on my wpt are just fine.

You could increase power to the flipper coils, but the usual tradeoff is that you'll have a higher-speed ball ramming into drops. (The usual method for this is to remove wire from the flipper coil itself but I'm not sure if that's a good idea on a SAM game because there is no separate hold winding.)

#420 3 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Very anti-climatic.. I did the color dmd ... Screen pops up that says keefer invitational and all shots are worth a shit of points... It takes like 30 minutes to Get there by hand pushing all switches..

#421 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

i've been close. The one that got me was ''no limit multiball'' It's just hard to get 25 million worth during that.
And, if you fail the WPT championship and drain out, it's no dice for you. (WPT Championship= doing enough shots that equal 10 million)

I was streaming this the other day and got just as close. I needed like.. 19 million (or something along those lines) on No Limit Multiball. It's tough to do that. I guess the best way is to focus on using your 3X hurry-up shot on a three-times jackpot, but *that's* hard too.

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

You could increase power to the flipper coils, but the usual tradeoff is that you'll have a higher-speed ball ramming into drops. (The usual method for this is to remove wire from the flipper coil itself but I'm not sure if that's a good idea on a SAM game because there is no separate hold winding.)

And how do I increase the power to the flippers?

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckie:

And how do I increase the power to the flippers?

Get a coil with fewer turns of wire. Stern may have a more powerful coil available, or you can remove turns, maybe 10%.

I really think this is not a good idea on a Stern game in general because the flippers are overpowered to begin with. On WPT, I can see your point. (Oddly my ramp shots are OK, it's my left orbit I am unhappy with. I still wouldn't do it.)

It is also worth re-checking the flipper mech itself, looking for slop or pieces that are not well aligned. If the flipper bat moves up or down as the solenoid pulls in, that's robbing power.

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I was streaming this the other day and got just as close. I needed like.. 19 million (or something along those lines) on No Limit Multiball. It's tough to do that. I guess the best way is to focus on using your 3X hurry-up shot on a three-times jackpot, but *that's* hard too.

I was watching the stream - nice game!

It does seem pretty ridiculous to get there, and the lack of info about it on the web seems to point that not many have.

#425 3 years ago
Quoted from williams:

I was watching the stream - nice game!
It does seem pretty ridiculous to get there, and the lack of info about it on the web seems to point that not many have.

Yeah, it's like the Valinor of WPT. I think it is more manageable though because of how easy it is to get into some kind of multiball, and you can use those multiball modes to progress towards other goals. No Limits is definitely the toughest because you have to focus on just that, I just think it's going to require some 9 million jackpots.

1 month later
#426 3 years ago

Just picked up a world poker tour. I disabled the flop, river gate and it makes the game so much more enjoyable. Were is this gate that people say to take off and what does that do. As usual I may or may not keep it,so I might trade it if someone is looking for one. Ed

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Just picked up a world poker tour. I disabled the flop, river gate and it makes the game so much more enjoyable. Were is this gate that people say to take off and what does that do. As usual I may or may not keep it,so I might trade it if someone is looking for one. Ed

At the top of the left orbit (next to the "Cut the Cards" scoop). When in place, the one-way gate prevents the ball from entering the left orbit lane from the top (full orbit shots from right to left).

#428 3 years ago

Ok thanks.

#429 3 years ago

Yeah, disable that gate. It'll increase the flow of the game a lot and will keep the ball out of the [dangerous] pop bumpers.

#430 3 years ago

Has anyone on here removed the metal plate behind the center drop targets and had good results? On a regular basis hard direct shots do not drop the targets. The targets rebound off the rubber and plate causing the targets to stay up. I have replaced all the springs so there is enough tension to pull them down.

#431 3 years ago
Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

Has anyone on here removed the metal plate behind the center drop targets and had good results?

I tried it and I didn't like it. I had the impression I was getting a lot of airballs, perhaps because the center drop bank had been moved backward a little (judging from the markings on the playfield visible with the posts removed). But I haven't had problems with bricking the center bank at all, so my experience is different than yours.

#432 3 years ago

I haven't had any problems with the center target bank either so I've never altered it.

1 week later
#433 3 years ago

... And 2 months later, I finally got around to shopping out the machine with LEDs, translucent rubbers and the new upper playfield... The yellow flippers look better than I anticipated!

IMG_1795_(resized).JPG

IMG_1807_(resized).JPG

IMG_1811_(resized).JPG

IMG_1800_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#434 3 years ago

I finally beat the default factory score... for 4th place....

1 week later
#435 3 years ago

Looking for some WPT owner advice. I found a single owner HUO stock (no LEDs, cliffys, etc) WPT that the owner is firm at 3k. After reading through the FS threads I realize this is a bit high for a bare bones WPT.

Would you pay 3k for a WPT knowing what you now know about the game?

Thanks for the input.

#436 3 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Looking for some WPT owner advice. I found a single owner HUO stock (no LEDs, cliffys, etc) WPT that the owner is firm at 3k. After reading through the FS threads I realize this is a bit high for a bare bones WPT.
Thanks for the input.

Absolutely. And since I do own a stock, HUO WPT, you should know: I wouldn't sell mine for $3K.

#437 3 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Thanks for the input.

I personally wouldn't.

Opinions will vary

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

Absolutely. And since I do own a stock, HUO WPT, you should know: I wouldn't sell mine for $3K.

Quoted from Slim64:

I personally wouldn't.
Opinions will vary

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I had set my limit at $2600, so the cheap person in me is battling the impulsive person in me! I am pretty particular about condition, which is why this is a tough decision for me. I haven't run into a certified HUO WPT here in AZ before.

#439 3 years ago

I'd prob buy a 3k HUO WPT if it also had a ColorDMD

#440 3 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Thanks for the input.

About $300 too high (some would say more) depends on how bad you want the title, if they come up often near you & what $300 means in your personal budget.

#441 3 years ago

$3K is too much unless it truly is HUO with super low plays. You pay for that pristine condition, but I'd be wary a game from that era is really HUO.

#442 3 years ago

Is there any alternative code out there with better sounds?

#443 3 years ago

Hello owners!
Is there any setting to disable the Ace in the hole multiball?

We had a tournament an evening at our club and after being on for like 4 hours, the ace in the hole stopped registering ball hits... somewhat intermittent but in a larger degree. Unsure what is the culprit of this..

Cheers
Morten

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

In the settings (Feature adjustments 37) you can disable the jail.

You can also change the difficulty in reaching AIH MB (Feature adjustments 5 & 6).

All the feature adjustments can be found on Page 11 of the manual, downloadable from the Stern site, if you don't have one.

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Hello owners!
We had a tournament an evening at our club and after being on for like 4 hours, the ace in the hole stopped registering ball hits... somewhat intermittent but in a larger degree. Unsure what is the culprit of this..
Cheers
Morten

The issue is probably due to something being off on the AITH opto boards. You may want to take a good long look at those, because they can/do go bad, but they can be fixed with proper tools and ability. Clay fixed one that's at the VFW, and it was darned hard to see the issue, but a component on one of the boards was actually missing (it helped that we had another machine there at that current time to compare the boards side-by-side, but yes, things like that do happen). Perhaps your issue isn't quite that deep (Are the optos sensing at all? Do they just need a decent cleaning?), but it could be that something has gone kerfluey (it's an industry term...) on one of the boards.

#446 3 years ago

Hi Everyone. I have a little bit of free time and started working on a WPT translite. Wanted to get some feedback so far. I prefer the more simplistic look, and personally like the "less is more" style. Looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions. Three versions: the 1st one has cards/chips in the upper right corner and card suits on top and bottom, the 2nd is bare and the 3rd has cards/chips in the upper right corner.

World_Poker_Tour_pin_3_(resized).jpg
World_Poker_Tour_pin_2_(resized).jpg
World_Poker_Tour_pin_1_(resized).jpg

#447 3 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Hi Everyone. I have a little bit of free time and started working on a WPT translite. Wanted to get some feedback so far. I prefer the more simplistic look, and personally like the "less is more" style. Looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions

World_Poker_Tour_pin_1_(resized).jpgWorld_Poker_Tour_pin_2_(resized).jpg

I really like it!!! I have the alternate translight but really like this one! Big improvement from original!!!

#448 3 years ago

Hmmm ... I applaud the effort for any alternate WPT translites, but this one has a bit too much "less" for me personally. I'd prefer to see the "WPT" logo less prominent and more color and images in the background to differentiate the translite from the backbox. As it is, the overall blackness creates too much of a box-like effect to my eye.

#449 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Hmmm ... I applaud the effort for any alternate WPT translites, but this one has a bit too much "less" for me personally. I'd prefer to see the "WPT" logo less prominent and more color and images in the background to differentiate the translite from the backbox. As it is, the overall blackness creates too much of a box-like effect.

Quoted from danczaz:

I really like it!!! I have the alternate translight but really like this one! Big improvement from original!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I would like to sneak a little more color in there, and was thinking maybe something around the edges? Or maybe changing the text color of the cities. Maybe each city is in a different color (red, green, blue, white, etc.)?

#450 3 years ago

Added another version with card suits on top and bottom. See original post.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rockville, MD
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
There are 889 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside