IMG_3947 (resized).JPG
Title_2_1.gif
E69DAA6C-F412-4C68-B792-583AE7D846EF (resized).jpeg
6CB0AF6E-DAAA-4DDB-AA26-B1108B0AF9D7 (resized).jpeg
500B79A9-6C69-49E1-BB7B-34A44AABA608 (resized).jpeg
D2D62E89-0C4B-433B-B3D0-307D6F655224 (resized).jpeg
WPT cropped (resized).png
IMG_3133 (resized).JPG

There are 1,112 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 23.
#1101 13 days ago

Welcome back, 3rd time? You must have a love/hate relationship or just keep finding deals you can't say no to.

#1102 10 days ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Yea, I agree, a goofy machine. It sits in storage until I'm ready to restore. I'm curious if its faults are likely hardware or code.
Wait a minute; you played a 30hr game. Incredible. I can't imagine pushing 10hrs; I'd need an entire pot of coffee and then some.

I didn't play a 30hr game - I played for 30hrs.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-marathon-playing-pinball

#1103 10 days ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Have rejoined this club.....3rd time around.

Right on. After seeing, repairing and maintaining 3 different games, would you say there are any little differences in the machines on how they play or are set-up or dialed in? Little adjustments or modifications that you liked? Lighting that helps or hinders play?

#1104 10 days ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Right on. After seeing, repairing and maintaining 3 different games, would you say there are any little differences in the machines on how they play or are set-up or dialed in? Little adjustments or modifications that you liked? Lighting that helps or hinders play?

The 1st one I bought about 10 years ago, it was a mint HUO , completely factory set up. Had about 200 plays on and I loved it. Needed to sell it for other uses. Bought a 2nd one about 3 years later and it played like shit, it just wasn't what I remembered, but to be fair, it was a previously routed game. Just dumped it for what I paid for it. Last one I just picked up plays like my 1st one. This one was routed too, but cared for and then sold to a private owner. Cabinet is good, but the playfield is immaculate and the upper playfield is still clear. I have a basement that will hold a 20 machine collection, so this was one I wanted to get back. I like this game set to factory settings.

#1105 10 days ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

The 1st one I bought about 10 years ago, it was a mint HUO , completely factory set up. Had about 200 plays on and I loved it. Needed to sell it for other uses. Bought a 2nd one about 3 years later and it played like shit, it just wasn't what I remembered, but to be fair, it was a previously routed game. Just dumped it for what I paid for it. Last one I just picked up plays like my 1st one. This one was routed too, but cared for and then sold to a private owner. Cabinet is good, but the playfield is immaculate and the upper playfield is still clear. I have a basement that will hold a 20 machine collection, so this was one I wanted to get back. I like this game set to factory settings.

Just a note that mine was routed as well and you couldn't see through the upper playfield at all. I took it off and polished it with a buffer and plastic polish and it came out great. Someone recommended flame-polishing but I tried some sample ramps before and it is pretty easy to screw up. The polish is pretty fool proof and easy to do for anyone with a similar problem and essentially free.

1118211144 (resized).jpg
#1107 9 days ago

Interesting experiences having routed machines as well as HUO. Seems like when enough small things get a little out of alignment or loose, it has a much bigger impact than just the sum of those little things. I also like the factory settings. I've played around with turning off the hold posts for certain sequences and that can change the pace of play a fair bit.

One thing on mine that I have noticed is that my left ramp assembly will jump a little if you miss to the right and hit the post instead of getting up the ramp (upside down scoop... not sure what the correct name of that thing is!). Like the ball will clank off it and it sure seems like the wire rail moves a little. I think it is the ball catching a tiny bit of air and hitting it from underneath, but not sure. Looking at the picture above of the upper playfield, it might be that the small ring on that post is at the same height as the larger rubber ring on the two posts behind it and then when you hit the front one it transfers that force to the rear one. Like maybe I need to slide that front ring down the post a little bit so the two rings aren't lined up and touching each other?

I also realized the other day that the upper playfield does indeed have alignment dots for those upper flippers. I had asked about that a while back as I couldn't see any. I moved my game into a different room and the better lighting let me see them.

One other thing on rules and strategy I just realized. Those triple score lights in the inlanes are activated anytime you complete a hand with the drop targets. I didn't realize that earlier. Simple and obvious, but I missed that somehow. I mean you end up making drop target hands a lot anyway, but now I know that if I have a big shot worth having the triple score active for, I can purposely make a drop target hand before going for the big shot to maximize scores. Like before you make a poker hand advancing shot up either ramp that will complete the hand with the river AND complete a city, I always try and roll over a lit triple score to turn the 1 mil award into 3 mil.

#1108 9 days ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Interesting experiences having routed machines as well as HUO. Seems like when enough small things get a little out of alignment or loose, it has a much bigger impact than just the sum of those little things. I also like the factory settings. I've played around with turning off the hold posts for certain sequences and that can change the pace of play a fair bit.
One thing on mine that I have noticed is that my left ramp assembly will jump a little if you miss to the right and hit the post instead of getting up the ramp (upside down scoop... not sure what the correct name of that thing is!). Like the ball will clank off it and it sure seems like the wire rail moves a little. I think it is the ball catching a tiny bit of air and hitting it from underneath, but not sure. Looking at the picture above of the upper playfield, it might be that the small ring on that post is at the same height as the larger rubber ring on the two posts behind it and then when you hit the front one it transfers that force to the rear one. Like maybe I need to slide that front ring down the post a little bit so the two rings aren't lined up and touching each other?
I also realized the other day that the upper playfield does indeed have alignment dots for those upper flippers. I had asked about that a while back as I couldn't see any. I moved my game into a different room and the better lighting let me see them.
One other thing on rules and strategy I just realized. Those triple score lights in the inlanes are activated anytime you complete a hand with the drop targets. I didn't realize that earlier. Simple and obvious, but I missed that somehow. I mean you end up making drop target hands a lot anyway, but now I know that if I have a big shot worth having the triple score active for, I can purposely make a drop target hand before going for the big shot to maximize scores. Like before you make a poker hand advancing shot up either ramp that will complete the hand with the river AND complete a city, I always try and roll over a lit triple score to turn the 1 mil award into 3 mil.

Can you take a picture of the alignment dots? I still don’t see any on my machine with a flashlight pointed at the mini pf.

#1109 9 days ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Can you take a picture of the alignment dots? I still don’t see any on my machine with a flashlight pointed at the mini pf.

When looking, try and get it so that what is behind the clear upper playfield in that spot is the white plastic piece underneath below the pop bumpers. Without that white background they are almost invisible.

F99C712C-A06F-4BD3-898C-76605911A1BD (resized).jpeg
#1110 3 days ago

Looking to join the club tomorrow...can someone give some issues to look for with this machice...What is the cpu issue with these machines and was that limited to eary runs? Thanks!

#1111 2 days ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Looking to join the club tomorrow...can someone give some issues to look for with this machice...What is the cpu issue with these machines and was that limited to eary runs? Thanks!

WPT was the first SAM game had some issues. Stern issued a service bulletin (here: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb163.pdf).

An opto shines through the upper playfield and can make the Ace-in-the-hole wonky. See recent posts where people have polished it. I replaced the upper playfield (Marco has blanks for about $70) and it was better for a while.

Drop targets can need an extra spacer washer if they won't stay up. I had this problem on the center bank. No big deal. (https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb165.pdf)

Large display insert in the center playfield can break its glue and be above the playfield. I ignored this, but it's something to look at.

#1112 2 days ago
Quoted from ts4z:

WPT was the first SAM game had some issues. Stern issued a service bulletin (here: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb163.pdf).
An opto shines through the upper playfield and can make the Ace-in-the-hole wonky. See recent posts where people have polished it. I replaced the upper playfield (Marco has blanks for about $70) and it was better for a while.
Drop targets can need an extra spacer washer if they won't stay up. I had this problem on the center bank. No big deal. (https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb165.pdf)
Large display insert in the center playfield can break its glue and be above the playfield. I ignored this, but it's something to look at.

Thanks man...deal didn't work out...machine was not is so great shape, average at best...and he was firm on the price...

There are 1,112 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside