D1800BFC-7FC5-44C7-A5D9-F4EED8EC0AA5 (resized).jpeg
8C85BFCF-7AFE-4DB3-A70B-4DB0313A10E4 (resized).jpeg
286323460_757367712301053_7458703656827351659_n (resized).jpg
detail (resized).jpg
IMG_6891 (resized).JPG
Coil on shooter lane (resized).jpg
IMG_0381 (resized).JPG
IMG_20220202_123229.jpg
There are 1,216 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 25.
#951 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Here's a couple pages from the Stern WPT Manual; 56,57. It's not a side-by-side comparison, but might provide some input.
https://sternpinball.com/support/game-manuals/[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you so much for that. I have the manual saved but it has a ton of information in it and I guess I was looking for a chart more than text. I'll review it for sure.

#952 3 years ago

This is such a fun game and very hard to make it to the wpt championships

I mean it’s a game you keep coming back to
I hope to completely restore and mod mine out one day in the future.
Until then I will still continue to move up through the tourneys

1 month later
#953 3 years ago

RIP Mike Sexton

#954 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

RIP Mike Sexton

I enjoyed his poker commentary - both in real life and on the game.

RIP

#955 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

RIP Mike Sexton

Damn, I feel sad. I watched Mike on TV for years and I really enjoyed his commentary. He was a good dude.

QSS

2 weeks later
#956 3 years ago

Question. I just picked up a WPT and it has code 1.06. I downloaded the update on a USB 3.0 thumb drive. When I try to do the update, the game just locks. I have tried it two ways. I have the USB in the game and click the Update button and it locks. So then I tried to go to the update first, click the update button, it tells me to insert the USB and when I do the game locks again.

When inserting and removing the USB, the game makes a sound recognizing it. The owner manual says the usb port is 1.1/2.0 so wondering if it is because my USB Drive is 3.0. I have order a 2.0 just to check. Anyone else have update issues like this that they were able to fix?

Thanks in advance,
Robert Byers
Top Rope Pinball Stream
Player 164

#957 3 years ago

I've found that my WPT only works with very old USB drives, like sub-1GB old. I keep a 256Mb drive around just for it.

2 weeks later
#958 3 years ago

Hi guys,

Got my WPT yesterday.
Have a couple of questions:
- where can I find english speaking roms? Mine has all the speaches in German
- is there an alt translite available ? (Without boobs XD)

#959 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi guys,
Got my WPT yesterday.
Have a couple of questions:
- where can I find english speaking roms? Mine has all the speaches in German
- is there an alt translite available ? (Without boobs XD)

https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/

https://mattsbasementarcade.com

#961 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Thx, had no idea those updated through USB.
Done and much better now!

That sure made it easy if you want to learn a second language. Haha

#962 3 years ago

I'm selling my World Poker Tour. I'll miss it, but I need the room...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/104262

#963 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

I'm selling my World Poker Tour. I'll miss it, but I need the room...
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/104262

You have: World Poker Tour - By Stern (1996)
It's By Stern (02-2006)

#964 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

You have: World Poker Tour - By Stern (1996)
It's By Stern (02-2006)

Fixed - Thanks!

1 week later
#965 3 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

This is such a fun game and very hard to make it to the wpt championships
I mean it’s a game you keep coming back to
I hope to completely restore and mod mine out one day in the future.
Until then I will still continue to move up through the tourneys

Completely agree. I've had the game for a few months now and I still achieve modes and levels that I've never seen before and I'm not sure how I've activated them. With the open playfield and challenging game structure, I still can't understand why this pin doesn't get more credit. I guess there a lot of people that aren't poker fans.

RIP Mike Sexton. It's nice that his voice is still around in the house through the pin.

#966 3 years ago
Quoted from Codeman00:

With the open playfield and challenging game structure, I still can't understand why this pin doesn't get more credit. I guess there a lot of people that aren't poker fans.

Honestly I like poker themed pinball and pool themed pinball. It just feels like a natural mix, and WPT seems like the ultimate poker/pinball integration. It is superb.

1 week later
#967 3 years ago

Joining the club tomorrow. Looking forward to exploring the rules more.

#968 3 years ago

Updated game code, next to do is mylar the shooter lane, replace the balls, maybe clean the playfield and replace a few lights.

Replaced a few playfield insert lights-- just some red dome flashers and the inlane/outlane plastic GI left. Super fun game.

20201113_162951 (resized).jpg20201113_162951 (resized).jpg
#969 3 years ago

Welcome to the table, all you need is chip and chair.

#970 3 years ago

THERE HE GOES

1 month later
#971 3 years ago

Deal 'em up! Just brought this one home yesterday. Got lots of rules to learn because I really have no idea how to play it yet!!! Way, way, way more to it than my other three.

IMG_2842 (resized).JPGIMG_2842 (resized).JPG
#972 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Deal 'em up! Just brought this one home yesterday. Got lots of rules to learn because I really have no idea how to play it yet!!! Way, way, way more to it than my other three.
[quoted image]

I like that translite....where did it come from?

Nevermind....found it on epay

#973 3 years ago

I've been trying to get more acquainted with the rules for WPT. I haven't seen one posted anywhere, but is there a printed set of rules that gives details on all the different modes and features? More in depth than just an apron card hopefully and not just a shot chart. More like a flow chart maybe, the kind that tells you what you have to do to keep moving along. This game feels like a Choose Your Own Adventure book that way. Tons of different ways to go through it.

Having said that, what exactly is the purpose of the Spin-A-Card feature? It's pretty when the lights move around the drop target cards like a roulette table, but what do you do with the card you land on? Is there any significance to this or does it then open up some other feature like if you hit the drop target for the card you just landed on?

#975 3 years ago

Jackpot! Thanks a lot bud, that's perfect.

1 week later
#976 3 years ago

I've had my WPT a couple weeks now. It's working really well. I got a few parts the other day and replaced about 6 of those IDC bulb holders that had the little plastic clip on the leg broken off. Rubber ring kit too that I'll put in at some point.

Both of my 4-bank drop target assemblies were at times not reliably resetting. I went in and did that washers behind the bracket service bulletin change. And it has helped. The targets on the right side seem to be great now, but the bank in the middle still has the 7 of spades not always resetting. This is the target on the right edge of those 4 and close to where you shoot the ball into for Poker Corner.

I took the assembly out and looked it over and it seems fine. I put a new sleeve into the coil as well in case that was causing some of the issue. It all looks to be operating as intended and I don't think the top of the target is somehow getting caught on the lip of the playfield from underneath.

I can watch that 7 of spades during gameplay when the coil is firing (the three times fast thing) and it doesn't look like it is even moving. Which to me doesn't make much sense if that coil is actually firing. It might be the coils on the other target banks I am hearing? If that was the case, and it is only the 7 of spades staying down, how could it feel the need to keep trying to reset it, but that middle bank doesn't appear to be actuating?

It sure doesn't look like the arm on that plunger could somehow not be pushing up on the target. Unless I am missing something? There are two screws and nuts on that reset bracket arm that appear to be there for some kind of adjustment. Would the screw on one side not be out or in far enough and it's somehow not pushing up that 7 of spades.

Just wondering how else you guys have fixed or corrected these drop targets to give me some more ideas on what to check. Thanks.

IMG_2979 (resized).JPGIMG_2979 (resized).JPGIMG_2980 (resized).JPGIMG_2980 (resized).JPGIMG_2981 (resized).JPGIMG_2981 (resized).JPGIMG_2991 (resized).JPGIMG_2991 (resized).JPG
#977 3 years ago

I would instead of tighten the right screw, the one on the 7 spade side. I would back off the left screw under 9 spade a 1/4 turn at a time. Until they are resetting. Reset bar needed to be level and reset both side at the same time.

3 weeks later
#978 3 years ago

After complete colorization for POTC on pin2dmd, i am finished another game - WPT. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know.

#979 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

After complete colorization for POTC on pin2dmd, i am finished another game - WPT. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know.

Fantastic work. Extremely well done!

#980 3 years ago

So ever since I got my game the cut the cards vuk shot been maybe 30% makeable. Finally took mech off to fix gate there was a tiny f#ckin magnet stuck in...... Wtf

20210215_000423 (resized).jpg20210215_000423 (resized).jpg
#981 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Very nice, I will PM you these for the files and try to get a PIN2DMD in the next several months...

1 week later
#982 3 years ago

Was scrolling through all the pages of the club. Really liked the game on post #257. Decided to copy his pop bumper caps. Used Bally / Williams style caps instead of Stern caps and went all green with white/grey chips on top.

Tough to get a decent pic with the lights on.

9CEB472D-F4A9-4252-B9C1-69369B790061 (resized).jpeg9CEB472D-F4A9-4252-B9C1-69369B790061 (resized).jpegBB371C06-6223-4C5A-BF03-514EA7720AE6 (resized).jpegBB371C06-6223-4C5A-BF03-514EA7720AE6 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#983 3 years ago

Just a random observation... I'm surprised they included the call out for being dealt 6-9 off suite... as "dinner for two".

#984 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Just a random observation... I'm surprised they included the call out for being dealt 6-9 off suite... as "dinner for two".

I was surprised it was a poker terminology. 'Dinner for two' what the heck was that, waaaiiit a minute; ohhhhhhh!

For decades, I've played poker and created custom poker chips for people and had never heard that term. ohhhh jeeez; live and learn. Steve is awesome.

#985 3 years ago

I was surprised it was a poker terminology. 'Dinner for two' what the heck was that, waaaiiit a minute; ohhhhhhh!
For decades, I've played poker and created custom poker chips for people and had never heard that term. ohhhh jeeez; live and learn. Steve is awesome.

To be fair, that's probably more of a Keefer thing than Steve. But it certainly could be *both*/all.

#986 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

That's what makes the game so awesome. If your a poker player of if you have a bit of a sense of humor or if you like drop targets, this game is for you.

QSS

PS I'm a poker player, I have a sense of humor and I love drop targets.

QSS

#987 3 years ago

It definitely appeals to all of those. And the sense of humor, lol... like when Vince Van Patton gets on you when you get a tilt warning. "Oh, this guy is out of control, Mike!" haha

#988 3 years ago

Are there alignment dots for the upper flippers like there are for the lower flippers? I took my upper flippers out to replace the cracked clear tubing underneath them and to clean the underside of that upper playfield and wanted to get them put back in correctly. Just not sure where the rest position of those upper flippers is supposed to be.

#989 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Are there alignment dots for the upper flippers like there are for the lower flippers? I took my upper flippers out to replace the cracked clear tubing underneath them and to clean the underside of that upper playfield and wanted to get them put back in correctly. Just not sure where the rest position of those upper flippers is supposed to be.

Wondering the same thing! I just looked at people’s pictures. Seems left flipper is in front of the screw head. Then I matched the angle on the right flipper.

#990 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Always take "Before" pictures before removing any asssemblies.

#991 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

Always take "Before" pictures before removing any asssemblies.

Before pictures don’t mean a thing if it wasn’t line up properly before.

#992 3 years ago

For the life of me, I cannot remember the process I used to determine the flipper angles for the upper playfield. I suspect I tried to replicate the angles shown in the Machine Manual;

FlipAngle (resized).jpgFlipAngle (resized).jpg
#993 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

My upper play field has the small alignment holes, but I believe the prior owner replaced it. So they may have only been a feature of the replacement part?

#994 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeVarney:

My upper play field has the small alignment holes, but I believe the prior owner replaced it. So they may have only been a feature of the replacement part?

Interesting; it looks like the replacements from Pinball Life have flipper alignment marks.

#995 3 years ago

With that in mind, is there an official way to use those alignment dots? And I mean where do you want the dots relative to the end of the flipper? Should the end of the flipper cover and be exactly centred over the dot? Or just in front/above it? I sometimes will align based on the rails leading towards the flipper contact surface and aim to have that in one straight line. Or other times have the centreline of the flipper follow that line down the rail, which ends up with the flipper resting in a position a little bit further down.

All these alignment things change how the game plays significantly. More so on the lower flippers than the upper ones like on WPT. Not just where the ball is going to go when you instinctively hit it towards a ramp or target, but also in how you can play the ball with various flipper tricks.

I have a Getaway for example, and if the flippers are adjusted a little bit further down at rest, then when you send a ball through the supercharger ramp and it comes back down to the left flipper, if you hold that left flipper up and let the ball roll off and onto the right flipper, you can one-time it back into the supercharger ramp. Makes for some crazy points when actually in supercharger mode where the first shot gets you 5 million, then 10, then 15. I've had it up to 35 million for those shots all in that 20 second timer.

I think part of this with the alignment dots is that no machine or designer/manufacturer always put their dots in the same place with the same intentions. It's rarely mentioned in any of the manuals though, other than trying to mimic the angle you see in a photo or drawing of the playfield. This is probably getting pretty far into the weeds of playing competitively, but every other sport or game has some pretty specific ways to get up the playing surface or court or whatever, whether that is pool, or volleyball, or darts. Not pinball though. Every set-up seems a little different. Not to mention the differences in clean balls/fast playing surface, coil strengths, playfield pitch, etc.

#996 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

With that in mind, is there an official way to use those alignment dots? And I mean where do you want the dots relative to the end of the flipper? Should the end of the flipper cover and be exactly centred over the dot? Or just in front/above it? I sometimes will align based on the rails leading towards the flipper contact surface and aim to have that in one straight line. Or other times have the centreline of the flipper follow that line down the rail, which ends up with the flipper resting in a position a little bit further down.
All these alignment things change how the game plays significantly. More so on the lower flippers than the upper ones like on WPT. Not just where the ball is going to go when you instinctively hit it towards a ramp or target, but also in how you can play the ball with various flipper tricks.
I have a Getaway for example, and if the flippers are adjusted a little bit further down at rest, then when you send a ball through the supercharger ramp and it comes back down to the left flipper, if you hold that left flipper up and let the ball roll off and onto the right flipper, you can one-time it back into the supercharger ramp. Makes for some crazy points when actually in supercharger mode where the first shot gets you 5 million, then 10, then 15. I've had it up to 35 million for those shots all in that 20 second timer.
I think part of this with the alignment dots is that no machine or designer/manufacturer always put their dots in the same place with the same intentions. It's rarely mentioned in any of the manuals though, other than trying to mimic the angle you see in a photo or drawing of the playfield. This is probably getting pretty far into the weeds of playing competitively, but every other sport or game has some pretty specific ways to get up the playing surface or court or whatever, whether that is pool, or volleyball, or darts. Not pinball though. Every set-up seems a little different. Not to mention the differences in clean balls/fast playing surface, coil strengths, playfield pitch, etc.

Do you have a picture that shows the alignment holes / marks? I can’t see them clearly in the pinball life inventory picture.

Someone might have to corner Ritchie or Johnson at a pinball show and ask them.

#997 3 years ago

This upper playfield is from Pinball Life (red arrows to highlight tic-marks);

Pinballlife (resized).jpgPinballlife (resized).jpg
#998 3 years ago

This upper playfield is from Pinball Life (red arrows to highlight tic-marks);[quoted image]

So it looks like the tips point at the holes. Yours look perfectly aligned to the picture from the manual a few posts back.

#999 3 years ago

This upper playfield is from Pinball Life (red arrows to highlight tic-marks);[quoted image]

Quoted from Stebel:

So it looks like the tips point at the holes. Yours look perfectly aligned to the picture from the manual a few posts back.

Perfect! Thanks for sharing!

#1000 3 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

I recall finding one side trapping the ball easier that the other. The marks certainly help as a starting point, perhaps a slight tweaking is necessary.

Side project that some may like; I have a debt to pay and intend to gift these to a certain Good Samaritan. These are actual sample-sets of the poker chips used for the filming of the Poker Superstars Tournaments. I bought them from the producer's wife many, many years ago. I collected chips and cards way back when.

MYum6AF (resized).jpgMYum6AF (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
There are 1,216 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-poker-tour-pinball-club/page/20?hl=alexrogan84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.