Topic Stats

• 904 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by RockfordReplay
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 213 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190929_133501 (resized).jpg
20190927_125706 (resized).jpg
20190927_125657 (resized).jpg
20190927_111521 (resized).jpg
20190613_192040 (resized).jpg
20190613_192107 (resized).jpg
20190613_192053 (resized).jpg
EFEF74B2-49F3-4E2B-A394-87047E2B4D34.jpeg
8EC65A77-9D77-42AE-99AC-A628AA1575AE.jpeg
53C00FDA-7A4B-4C0D-BB2D-5A93BA02E714.jpeg
AC07ACBD-6499-4CFC-BE90-5DC7F7C90524.jpeg
IMG_20190518_022848 (resized).jpg
Bladeb (resized).jpg
Bladea (resized).jpg
IMG_20190511_161626 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190511_161613 (resized).jpg

There are 904 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 19.
#1 5 years ago

Owners of Word Poker Tour pins unite!

Okay, I just purchased one and thought we needed a place to discuss this awesome pin.

So, I'll start with a few questions since I'm a new owner.

1. I plan on installing mirror blades to cover some minor scratches and to add some bling. Has anyone done this? Which ones? Some sites recommend double-sided tape and others say no tape. Which way to go?

2. I want to replace the chrome T-molding on the backbox with black. Anyone done this? If so, what did you use?

3. The outside of the backbox has minor scratches on the right side. Is this a decal? Or, painted with a stencil? Is there a way to touch this up?

4. Right now my playfield is perfect and I want to keep it this way. I'm mainly concerned about wear where the ball drops from the ramps onto the inlanes. Can I add small pieces of mylar for protection?

5. Anyone want to share playing strategy? There's a lot of depth to the rules which is a major reason I bought this pin. Part of the fun is exploring it all, but I need a little head start.

Join in!!!

#2 5 years ago

No WPT owners/enthuisists out there?

#3 5 years ago

I intend to join this club at some future date. It's one of the few pins that might get me on theme alone (and supposed depth of rules). But it's a bit of a leap - I've never played, or even seen one. For all the good places to play in Colorado, I don't think anyone has one. (There are three in Denver on the map, but they are all basically one pin locations whose info hasn't been updated in 3 years)

#4 5 years ago

I'm in the club. I think you put it in the wrong forum.

I bought a WPT NIB when they first came out and suffered through until Stern fixed the defective CPUs and finally released some great software. Then a year later they released another great software set, making this one of the most polished games ever and one of the deepest. I sold my machine because I needed money a few years back, but I went and got another WPT, because it is such a good game. I also love drop target games, which is why I own so many Gottlieb EMs.

#5 5 years ago

Yep I have one, very deep ruleset and if you are a poker fan great game for your collection. Mine it up for sale right now as looking to upgrade to a ACDC...

#6 5 years ago

I am in too !
Got mine for about a year. Had to send my defective CPU to Stern (it wasn't fixed before !). Since it came back... pure joy !

#7 5 years ago

1.) Mirror blades look awesome in WPT

2.) www.t-molding.com

5.) triple score!!

image-830.jpg
image-557.jpg

image-858.jpg
#8 5 years ago

Wow. Those mirror blades do look good in WPT. I have never been a fan of them before.

#9 5 years ago

Awesome mirror blades. Where did you get them? I WANT THEM!!!!!

#10 5 years ago

I'm in! WPT is my favorite game (and I also own, among others, a CV, LOTR, WOZ). Why? It has a great combo of an open playfield with great flow, tons of drop targets, a challenging mini-pf, very deep rules with cool modes, and probably the best rule integration of any pin made to date. (Keefer himself has indicated that WPT is one of his best efforts.)

Some set-up tips for those who haven't seen them yet: remove the top left orbit gate (2 screws), and turn off the flop/turn posts in the settings to improve flow. (These are recommended by SR himself.) You can also turn off the flipper hint where the right mini-pf flipper flips to let you know the ball is coming there--it gets annoying after a while!

Strategy tips? Here's a bunch, in no particular order:

Lock the ball in the Ace in the Hole cage on the mini-pf, and then AVOID hitting the captured ball to start this mb. Why? This is the easiest mb to stack with another, because mb balls will launch to the upper pf with a ballsave. Too many people try to start this mb right away.

The 3x shot is critical. You get a 3x shot added every time you complete a drop target (draw poker) hand. If you have at least one 3x, then one (and only one) of the inlanes will light up. Rolling over the lit inlane (from the playfield or the ramp return) will give you triple scoring for about 5 seconds--basically one shot. So, it is best to AVOID rolling over the 3x light (by hitting a flipper button to switch the light to the opposite inlane) UNLESS you have a high-scoring shot. Examples of good 3x shots include a river shot to either ramp (just one card left on the 7-card holdem hand on the pf display), which will score the hand value multiplied by the pot value, or a single drop target to make a good draw poker hand. A good hand or draw to a good one (like 3-of-a-kind, straight, flush, etc.) is even better for the 3x. If you just have just 6 unrelated cards or a single pair, you may want to save the 3x for a better hand/draw. Also use the 3x if completing the hand will finish a city/tournament (values start at 1M, so triple this is good!). Remember, always keep an eye out for the inlane light and avoid it unless you have a single high-scoring shot available with that flipper. You can set up a 3x shot by getting a ramp return to the inlane.

Upper playfield: Always go for the far left opening to light the random award light on the pf below it, if it's not lit. A backhand from a ball trapped on the left mini-flipper is usually good. Lock the AitH ball and then avoid it until you start a different mb as noted above, then stack. Otherwise, hit the white standups and go for the hurryup (opening to the lower pf) when it flashes. If you have a double hurryup, a few quick target hits before scoring the hurryup can get a lot of points. Hurryups are the main scoring on the mini-pf.

Main pot value has a starting value based on difficulty setting, and increases from spinner (orbit) shots. If you have a good holdem hand (or draw to one), build up the pot before hitting the river. But if you drain, the main pot goes back to its starting value on the next ball. If you have 5-6 cards and nothing good in the hand, it's best to just finish the hand and hopefully get a better next one. BUT, if you build up enough points (depends on difficulty setting) in the main pot with spinner shots, you start an All-in multiball, which also finishes the holdem hand. (You can use a 3x with this orbit shot if you're almost at the main pot value needed to start it--value is shown in the status screens.)

Note that you can make it to the mini-pf WITHOUT increasing the holdem hand by hitting the left backwall opening just to the right of the left ramp. Or, you can get up there and increase the holdem hand progress by the right ramp. Which one you choose depends on your hand status, main pot value, etc. For example, if you're at the river with a good hand, you can set up a lucrative 3x shot by hitting the LEFT backwall shot to the upper pf and letting the ball drain to the right inlane, making sure the right inlane is lit, then hitting the left ramp right away to score 3x the holdem value (plus city value, if it's the final city hand). Hitting the right ramp to get to the mini-pf and feed the right inlane would finish the holdem hand without the 3x, which you don't want to do here!

Side pot value is increased with each pop bumper hit, and resets after each ball. You can increase how much each pop adds to the side pot by hitting all 4 standups above the pops (below the mini-pf). You can move the lit targets with the flippers (like a regular lane changer) to get them faster. Side pots are scored with each orbit shot made during a few multiballs; values can be built to 500k or more.

Poker school modes (6 round inserts by the slingshots) are started by the elongated trough just to the left of the right ramp, when lit. 2 of them are drop target modes, one is 'spot the tell' mode where you get a big score (starts at 1M) for making one of the 6 main shots corresponding (left to right) of the character on the DMD making an odd motion or sound. Change Gears mode gives more points when making shots to the upper pf and then lower pf. Stacking this mode with a mb gives HUGE points. You usually have to finish a holdem hand before the poker school trough re-lights to start another mode.

Starting all 6 poker school modes and then hitting the lit trough again starts a Wizard mb. I think jackpots in this mb are bigger if you finish/defeat more of the individual modes--not sure of scoring off the top of my head!

Then there are some other minor scoring features, like victory laps after completing certain modes, card tricks by making some main shots, etc. I'm not sure of the scoring details.

Finishing all 6 cities brings you to the big WPT championship tourney--that's a LOT of ramp shots! And then there's the Keefer Invitational--you can see what you need to get there in the status screens. Basically start every mode/mb, get a certain number of points (generally 25M) in each of several modes/mb's, etc. It's a valinor-type achievement.

Feel free to add scoring details, corrections, additions that I may have missed!

#11 5 years ago

With WPT you can also play a fun Draw Poker game, where you are ONLY trying to make the drop target hands. These are tracked by the lit inserts on the upper part of the main pf. None of the other shots really help make these hands (except for the poker school trough, which scores a drop target when spin-a-card is lit). The goal is to make more draw hands than your opponent. Once (if!) you make all 9, a multiball starts. You can let all but one ball drain (because the mb doesn't score more hands), count your hand score as 10 (9 hands plus a bonus one for the mb), and then start making more hands. This is a good reward because you can then make the easier draw hands again (like a pair or 3-of-a-kind).

This is a cool pure drop target game that's easy to score and is a different/simpler type of game on the same pin.

Also, the voice callouts are very helpful. Courtney's callouts tell you what target you need to make a particular hand, so you can shoot for these hands once you know where the individual card targets are, without having to look for them on the pf. (In the regular game, Mike's callouts refer to the holdem hand, so you can use these audio cues to your advantage.)

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I intend to join this club at some future date. It's one of the few pins that might get me on theme alone (and supposed depth of rules). But it's a bit of a leap - I've never played, or even seen one. For all the good places to play in Colorado, I don't think anyone has one. (There are three in Denver on the map, but they are all basically one pin locations whose info hasn't been updated in 3 years)

I know where you can play one

#13 5 years ago

I'm in the club as well, like StevenP, its one of my favorites! It's my favorite shot making pin.

I would add that its crucial to score the "hurry ups", at least 10, to light the extra ball. In this deep pin you need the extra.

And I play it myself on 5 ball, like Lotr. Because I like to explore all that it has to offer and I'm not a world class player

#14 5 years ago

Checking in. I don't like stern, I don't like poker, and I dont like deep games....but this game is nearly perfect. Love the old school long shots and drops. I really wish the drops played more prominently in scoring though. I cant see myself ever getting rid of it especially since they are stuck in the 2k range. One of the best values in pinball

#15 5 years ago

Oh good I was waiting for ya stevenp
Thanks for some game tips!

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm in the club as well, like StevenP, its one of my favorites! It's my favorite shot making pin.
I would add that its crucial to score the "hurry ups", at least 10, to light the extra ball. In this deep pin you need the extra.
And I play it myself on 5 ball, like Lotr. Because I like to explore all that it has to offer and I'm not a world class player

I've played it on 5-ball extra-easy, and it becomes a multiball stackfest. Even when you're not trying! Crazy action, with balls all over the open central playfield. Just another distinct and fun way to play this game.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I'm in, but maybe that's obvious!

since you're here! ....how do you prefer to play: "remove the top left orbit gate (2 screws), and turn off the flop/turn posts in the settings to improve flow. (These are recommended by SR himself.)"... or how the game shipped? just curious as I can never decide which way i prefer. and did SR really recommend this way , as I always hear he did? Yo

#19 5 years ago

I'm in! Had mine 8 months or so & I really have no itch to part with it. The game has a ton of potential if you have it working properly & clean, strong flippers. & yes I definitely go by SR's recommendations & have used them since the day I got the game. Wasn't there a 3rd recommendation aside from removing gate & disabling post? I can't remember.

This might have to be the best bang for my buck game that I've owned. Its a SAM game, made by SR, is loaded with rules & possibilities, tons to shoot at yet still has an open PF. How this game remains underrated IDK, but its a bonus to those of us smart enough to know better!
& yes the translite isn't exactly the bees knees, but I don't really find it that appalling either. This game is a player, not necessarily one you buy just to show off the art package. Not that I find the game ugly. Also the game makes great use of incandescents & flashers (when they do go off which isn't overly often), the game can light up very pretty. & those mirror blades installed above are pretty badass looking, might have to consider those someday.

#20 5 years ago

A great game that doesn't get much appreciation and fairly cheap price
An amazing Steve Ritchie design

#21 5 years ago

One day I'll be in the club..I didn't go after one that was $1800 a few months ago because the timing was bad but I won't make that mistake again.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Some set-up tips for those who haven't seen them yet: remove the top left orbit gate (2 screws), and turn off the flop/turn posts in the settings to improve flow. (These are recommended by SR himself.) You can also turn off the flipper hint where the right mini-pf flipper flips to let you know the ball is coming there--it gets annoying after a while!

My upper left orbit gate was already removed by previous owner.

The flop and turn post is Feature Adjustment #35, correct?

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Poker school modes (6 round inserts by the slingshots) are started by the elongated trough just to the left of the right ramp, when lit. 2 of them are drop target modes, one is 'spot the tell' mode where you get a big score (starts at 1M) for making one of the 6 main shots corresponding (left to right) of the character on the DMD making an odd motion or sound. Change Gears mode gives more points when making shots to the upper pf and then lower pf. Stacking this mode with a mb gives HUGE points. You usually have to finish a holdem hand before the poker school trough re-lights to start another mode.
Starting all 6 poker school modes and then hitting the lit trough again starts a Wizard mb. I think jackpots in this mb are bigger if you finish/defeat more of the individual modes--not sure of scoring off the top of my head!
Then there are some other minor scoring features, like victory laps after completing certain modes, card tricks by making some main shots, etc. I'm not sure of the scoring details.

Can you explain the Hurryups?

And the Poker School Modes (Steal the Blind, Play the Button, Know Your Outs, A Chip and a Chair, Spot the Tell, Change Gears)?

Such a deep pin, I love it!

#24 5 years ago

One day I will be when I find a huo one.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I've played it on 5-ball extra-easy, and it becomes a multiball stackfest. Even when you're not trying! Crazy action, with balls all over the open central playfield. Just another distinct and fun way to play this game.

Hmmm, I'll have to try this approach!

Quoted from devils4ever:

Can you explain the Hurryups?

You have to hit the stand ups 3 times, next to the Ace in the Hole, in the mini pf and then shoot the ball down to lower via right exit hole. Every time you are in the upper you need to be thinking about getting a hurry up without starting Ace in the Hole MB like StevenP said, fairly easy to do.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hmmm, I'll have to try this approach!

You have to hit the stand ups 3 times, next to the Ace in the Hole, in the mini pf and then shoot the ball down to lower via right exit hole. Every time you are in the upper you need to be thinking about getting a hurry up without starting Ace in the Hole MB like StevenP said, fairly easy to do.

Or, once the hurryup flashes, you can still hit standups to build it up more, if you do so faster than it counts down, before scoring it in the flashing exit hole.

#27 5 years ago

I also have mirror blades and they look good. Best game out there. What StevenP said is true - I agree.

I also have a few color LEDs under the playfield as there were so many white bulbs it was driving me nuts. The colors make it look better. Replace the translite and you're good to go.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Strategy tips? Here's a bunch, in no particular order:

Wow, thanks for that! I've always been trying to figure this game out, this will definitely help. I know it's your favorite game, how about a Bowen-style tutorial vid?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Or, once the hurryup flashes, you can still hit standups to build it up more, if you do so faster than it counts down, before scoring it in the flashing exit hole.

Never thought of that one!

There is a good you tube video that some kid did if you do a search

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

how about a Bowen-style tutorial vid?

#30 5 years ago

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look.

#31 5 years ago

"theguyoverthere222" about 26 minutes, pretty good

#32 5 years ago

There it is for easy viewing.

Post edited by Deaconblooze : Difficulty embedding

#33 5 years ago

Wow, thanks for that! I've always been trying to figure this game out, this will definitely help. I know it's your favorite game, how about a Bowen-style tutorial vid?

Jeez, I would defer to Bowen for that! I could talk about the rules while filming a game, but you'd be watching me drain more while saying what I could have shot for, which isn't as entertaining or informative!

#34 5 years ago

ยป YouTube video
There it is for easy viewing.
Post edited by Deaconblooze : Difficulty embedding

Thx for the link. I'm watching now. Good video with a bunch of good rule info. I disagree with some of his strategy though, like-- I don't think you should start AitH right away, but really save it for stacking. And you really don't lose the ball from the pops all the time--it usually rolls harmlessly down the right orbit. I don't know why he is so afraid of that.

Also, he should DEFINITELY have used the 3x shot for the first completed hand (right before the river ramp shot), because that completes the first city and you get 3x the hand value plus 3x 1M (an extra 3M). The first hand already had a pair and a straight draw, for a possible straight or 3-of-a-kind or 2 pair.

Stacking a mb with the Change Gears poker corner mode is a solid strategy. As is focusing on the upper pf when starting a mb, if useful, until the ballsave times out.

Also, he clarified a point that on medium settings (and harder, maybe easy, not sure about extra easy)--you need to play a Poker Corner mode before you can lock the AitH ball again. And I believe you have to finish a hand to relight the Poker Corner trough.

Of course, I realize Keefer could pop back in at any time and tell me that my strategy approach is all wrong!

2 weeks later
#35 5 years ago

I got my mirror blades in. I want to install them tonight or tomorrow.

So, how to install?

Do they need to be grounded?

I was thinking it might make more sense to mount them to the playfield instead on the cabinet so they don't get scratched. Then, you could remove them if need to work on the playfield. Has anyone done this?

#36 5 years ago

Anyone? On installing the blades?

#37 5 years ago

Does anyone know the details on the SPIN A CARD feature? I believe a random drop target is chosen and you must hit it first before any other ones to score. Is this true? What's the points value? I've been playing a while and still haven't figured this one out.

#38 5 years ago

I thought it was a not so random card (target) that it gives you credit for?

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I thought it was a not so random card (target) that it gives you credit for?

yeah I think that is it. It just spots you a target, so not the greatest award but every little bit helps!

#40 5 years ago

I think it can be. I think the target it spots isn't random so it can really help you during certain times. But, I'm unsure of this

Quoted from robx46:

yeah I think that is it. It just spots you a target, so not the greatest award but every little bit helps!

#41 5 years ago

Well, I got curious last night a took off the glass. I activated the SPIN A CARD feature and hit the selected drop target. Nothing seemed to happen.

So, is what everyone saying is that the card selected in SPIN A CARD goes towards your Poker Hand?

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from devils4ever:

Well, I got curious last night a took off the glass. I activated the SPIN A CARD feature and hit the selected drop target. Nothing seemed to happen.
So, is what everyone saying is that the card selected in SPIN A CARD goes towards your Poker Hand?

Exactly. You do not have to aim at that drop target anymore, you validated it already (and it should be lit to attest this).
This count to the poker hands, not for Texas Hold'em / finishing cities.

#43 5 years ago

Just bought WPT a couple days ago. Got it home and after a couple games I started getting game resets. Anyone else ever have this happen? Can't find a pattern and can't figure it out. Such a bummer to get a new game than immediately have a problem.

#44 5 years ago

Check your 5V. Also, some WPT games that shipped with an early board set had a hardware issue that caused resets. Stern will still swap these out I believe, I just don't know how to identify if you have that board or not.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Check your 5V. Also, some WPT games that shipped with an early board set had a hardware issue that caused resets. Stern will still swap these out I believe, I just don't know how to identify if you have that board or not.

It happened to me and a failing board is a possible explanation. I sent pictures of my board to Stern customer service; they realized it was a faulty one and changed it for free (in 2013).

#46 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll def look into that board thing before troubleshooting too much. But it seems strange previous owners of this machine wouldn't have had this problem already and taken care of it.

#47 5 years ago

Not sure in this case, but maybe just a slight difference in the outlet voltage can make a difference.

What does your 5V read?

Quoted from Miknan:

Thanks, I'll def look into that board thing before troubleshooting too much. But it seems strange previous owners of this machine wouldn't have had this problem already and taken care of it.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

But it seems strange previous owners of this machine wouldn't have had this problem already and taken care of it.

I found it strange too for mine: bought it summer 2013... you could not but notice this reset problem. Happened randomly but quite often - initially during multi ball, then anytime -.
Fortunately zero issue since board swap. Take pictures and send them to Patrick Powers at Stern.

#49 5 years ago

Is it the same board the CPU is on? I'm thinking it probably is. Looking quickly at my machine I notice a jumper wire on this board where somebody did some work. If my board is one of the older ones, I hope this won't void that warranty.

#50 5 years ago

Count me in as a member of the WPT club. It's a great game with many cool modes and non-stop action. I have the gate removed that the Stoppy and Stabby coils disabled in the software. That makes for a better game.

I have mine decked out in LED's throughout. Really adds to the casino look.

I am about to add 3 red BriteCaps from PinballLife.com to the bumper area, once I get the nerve to remove the top playfield again.

What mirror blades are considered best for WPT? That would be the last remaining mod I would add. Opinions?

Thanks,
Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 110.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pin Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
There are 904 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside