Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by John-G
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello, i recently bought a world poker tour a few months ago and ive been loving it. Recently i have been having intermittent issues with some of the playfield optos. Although this issue is intermittent it does happen every game. Sometimes nothing happens when a ball passes through and sometimes they go off on their own without a ball passing through. The shots affected are the left ramp. the right ramp, the hurry up shot, and the cut the cards shot. ( Ace in the hole opto works fine.) I brought the 2 main boards in the head to a pin tech to get tested and he said my boards were fine and that it is likely i have 4 individual issues with the optos themselves. Has anyone had similar issues or have a way of troubleshooting this?

#2 2 years ago

Optos could be slightly dirty, the opto assembly might be loose ( screws). There are small boards under the playfield where the optos coonect to. Try Reseating those connectors . They will have thin wire that looks like speaker wire.

#3 2 years ago

First go into switch edges test and pound on the playfield with a fist to see if any switches trigger. if any do, work on those switches first.

Each of the optical switches attach to a small opto board either under the playfield or behind the back panel. Want to say there's three of them. Each control two switches. Follow the wires from the optical switches under (or behind) the playfield to find the opto board they connect to. With power off, reseat each of the connectors on the opto board, power up, and retest. Problems could be the switches, the connectors or the opto board(s). You can swap opto boards around to narrow it down. New opto switches (with wires and connectors attached) as well as new opto boards should be available.

#4 2 years ago

Sounds very similar to the problems I had with my WPT. In my case I traced it to poor contacts to the Opto Transmitter/Receiver Amplifier PCB mounted behind the playfield left-hand side.

I would clean the contacts best I could. Problem would go away a while but it always came back. Eventually I just put a new board in - they're not expensive.

That was a couple of months ago and no issues since.

Find that board first. Pull the playfield forward then lift the back and prop it up. The board which connects to the left ramp is on the left at the back.

There are 3 optos connected to it through some feeble Z connectors. Take them apart and clean both the pins and connectors. See if that solves the problem.

PS. I'm loving my WPT too. Great game.

#5 2 years ago

What do you suggest cleaning the contacts with?

#6 2 years ago

So after I was messing with it I noticed that my right ramp is actually broken in a couple places at the bottom and that's causing the micro switch at the bottom of the ramp to sometimes get stuck on. After messing around with it I discovered that that's been causing all of my issues that I thought were opto related. When the micro switch gets stuck on it causes the right ramp not to work and also was causing the other issues that I mentioned. I tried to repair the right ramp with JB weld and it held up for about 15 minutes before it broke again. While it was intact all of my said issues went away and the game was playing flawless. Then when it broke I got all of my problems back. I was looking online for a right ramp and they seem to be discontinued everywhere I look. does anyone know where I can get a right ramp?

1 week later
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Dizzy:

What do you suggest cleaning the contacts with?

Oops sorry Dizzy, haven't been on the forum for a while. I cleaned the pins with very fine wet-and-dry (grade 1000) and methylated spirits. I took the z connectors apart and wiped the contacts with meths too. Looks like none of that that matters now though.

Can you take the ramp somewhere to get it properly welded?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Trade
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-poker-tour-opto-issues?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.