5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hi There!

So I've been looking around the internet trying to find information about the origins of competitive pinball, and I've found something called the World Pinball Organization that looks like it may have preceded PAPA or the IFPA. Does anyone have a clue when that started or who was involved in making it happen?

#2 5 years ago

I think Steve Kirk was involved with that if I'm not mistaken.

#3 5 years ago

It's mentioned on the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball#Competitions
    "Two Pinball World Championships were held in the Washington, D.C. area in 1972 and 1973 under the auspices of the World Pinball Association which also published a newsletter carrying results of regional tournaments."
    ifpapinball might know someone who knows more about it. I skimmed through Pinball Magazine #1 and didn't see it mentioned but I could have missed it. unigroove may have more information about other early organizations.

#4 5 years ago

Looks like Steve Kirk made something called the Pinball Association of America, that he shouted out on the art of some of his games. Couldn’t find anything on how that might be related to the World Pinball Organization

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gabechazano:

Looks like Steve Kirk made something called the Pinball Association of America, that he shouted out on the art of some of his games. Couldn’t find anything on how that might be related to the World Pinball Organization

You are right, I just got them confused. That'll teach me to not do research before I open my big mouth.

#6 5 years ago

The PAA came along long after the World Pinball Association. I tried to track down the WPA guy in the 1990s, but did not find him. I think there's an article out there somewhere that puts all those early tournaments in proper sequence.
    .................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-pinball-organization?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.