166423-i.jpg
P1000451.jpg
P1000450-973.jpg
P1000448-280.jpg
WP_000304.jpg
WP_000303.jpg
WP_000302.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Getting more and more into my World Fair now that its working. I have been cleaning it up and trying to learn the rules of the game. Just came to the realization a few days ago that when the disc in the middle spins it is supposed to award you a rollover spot. Mine was not doing this, did some digging and realized I was missing a disc under the spinning disc mech that had been removed and was luckily put in the coin box, its in the first pic below, all it has is one switch with a spring around it. So I replaced it, but I am still not getting the spot rollover when it spins during the game.

However, there is a feature you can choose for the machine where at the start of the game you get a spot rollover for whatever number the disc is already on, and it does award that, just not during the game when you hit a bumper and spin it. Checked the two "spot award and spin" I believe they were J and K relays and the swicthes all were fine according to schematics. So I am a little stumped. I also turned that feature that gives it to you at start of game off by switching the little plug and it turns off, and worked again when I replaced the plug.

So to reiterate.

At game start you are spotted for whatever number the spinning disc is already on.

Once you start to play and you spin the disc it no longer rewards you the spot.

Once you start a new game it will do the same thing.

It seems like this means that the switch registers right? Can someone with a World Fair check something for me, see the pic below. In the first one you can see how the little switch lands, is it supposed to land between the two contacts, or on just one of them? How much back and forth play does your disc wiggle? Mine wiggles a little, sometimes after the disc rotates the little switch with the spring on it does not make good contact with those rivets. Also in the second pic, am I missing something here, the switch comes through this bakelite and then through a wire goes to that screw then goes back through another wire back to the switch, it kinda just makes a loop. Correct me if I am wrong as I am still learning, but to me that indicates the switch should be between both contacts so it acts as a link between them. Last picture may not be needed but I am including it as a better pair of eyes or someone that has this machine may see something different than mine.

Lastly, is there a way that this feature may have been turned off because it would be considered gambling as it leaves it up to chance? Is there a plug I am missing that lets you choose that?

WP_000302.jpgWP_000302.jpg
WP_000303.jpgWP_000303.jpg
WP_000304.jpgWP_000304.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Don't have he game but I can tell you that the shoe that rides around the rivets when it spins should be centered on the rivet. Also, that shoe should move up and down nicely w/in that spring...sometimes they can get bunked up.

Your rivets look clean from pic. When/if dirty they can be cleaned w/alcohol and a Scotch Brite pad. You may also use just a tiny drop of lube(I use Super Lube from R Shack)on the rivets.

Hopefully others will chime in w/more details/info. For you on game. Good luck.

#4 10 years ago

P.s. Gunked not bunked! To adjust rivet to shoe, slightly loosen the 3 screws and move Bakelite disc. You can also clean bottom of shoe w/Flexstone file.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks cash!

Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Don't have he game but I can tell you that the shoe that rides around the rivets when it spins should be centered on the rivet. Also, that shoe should move up and down nicely w/in that spring...sometimes they can get bunked up.

Good to know, that is interesting, it only has the one shoe, but when the disc lands in rotation the shoe basically has those two rivets to choose from. I wonder if its supposed to hit one then the other in sequence for each rotation. I will play with this more. I will try and clean the show a little more so it has a nice up and down action.

Your rivets look clean from pic. When/if dirty they can be cleaned w/alcohol and a Scotch Brite pad. You may also use just a tiny drop of lube(I use Super Lube from R Shack)on the rivets.

I did clean them with the alcohol already and they did look pretty clean already but figured it could not hurt. I had no lube though so may try that if all else fails.

Thanks a bunch! I hope others chime in as well. I know its not a game a ton of people have.

#6 10 years ago

Here's a few pictures for you. Let me know if you need more or what detail you need to see.

P1000448-280.jpgP1000448-280.jpg P1000450-973.jpgP1000450-973.jpg P1000451.jpgP1000451.jpg
#7 10 years ago
Quoted from phillyguy64:

Here's a few pictures for you. Let me know if you need more or what detail you need to see.

Thank you for the pics! I unfortunately cant see where the shoe lands. You could probably just take a look and tell me at this point. Basically from what I understand as far as Cash said above, when the disc rotates it will land on one of two rivets, either the left or the right and not in between. Can you take a closer look and tell me which rivet the shoe lands on? Heres my pic again with awesome clarification included by me.

166423-i.jpg166423-i.jpg
#8 10 years ago

I'm heading out the door but I took a quick look. Honestly mine appears to be landing right in the middle. Will double check tomorrow. Night shift calls.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks Philly, I will fool with mine more tonight.

#10 10 years ago

O.K. then...if phillyguy64 seems to think his lands in the middle too maybe that is the way the game is supposed to work since I reckon' his game is working correctly. Don't want to mis-lead you w/my advice! On stepper units(I deal w/mostly Gottlieb AAB's)the shoe lands on the rivet in ctr.....if off then that can cause problems...that is what I was basing my reply/knowledge from.

I was reading a post a bit back about a Worlds Fair somebody had here on the forum that had troubles. The game play description is that it takes away a lighted number on pf and lights up a lighted number on bg.... soooooo....maybe it is (?) supposed to land in-between to take care of that feature...I don't know but I'll keep a look out on this post. Good luck!

Quoted from practicalsteve:

I did clean them with the alcohol already and they did look pretty clean already but figured it could not hurt. I had no lube though so may try that if all else fails.

The lube will just help things move along a bit smoother...and your pin will love you for that! ; ) Just a tiny bit...as the shoe moves it will spread it around....or you can just LIGHTLY lube it all around.

#11 10 years ago

I was reading a post a bit back about a Worlds Fair somebody had here on the forum that had troubles. The game play description is that it takes away a lighted number on pf and lights up a lighted number on bg.... soooooo....maybe it is (?) supposed to land in-between to take care of that feature...I don't know but I'll keep a look out on this post. Good luck!

Good point. this would serve two functions, turning the rollerover lane off and then lighting the corresponding cart on the backglass. So it may need to be in the middle after all.

I do notice on phillyguys WF that there is no room between the disc on bottom and the mech, so maybe I need to make sure that its all the way up, previously I was giving it some space so things were not grinding against each other. see mine in the first compared to his in the second, I will tighten this space up tonight and report back.

166423-i-309.jpg166423-i-309.jpg 166506-i.jpg166506-i.jpg
#12 10 years ago

Well the spring on the shoe on phillys game certainly looks more compressed. W/game POWER OFF you can always check for continuity between the shoe and rivet. Keepin' a watch. By now maybe you even have it fixed! : )

#13 10 years ago

Not home yet, but great point on testing continuity between rivets with game off. Thanks again I will report back.

#14 10 years ago

No luck yet, I moved the bakelite disc with the shoe all the way in, but no luck. I am beginning to think that my whole mech is just too loose and that after it rotates the show is not resting on the contacts properly.

Philly guy, will you check with the machine off and very gently if the small disc with the shoe under the playfield wiggles back and forth? Please dont force anything and damage your machine, mine moves pretty freely about a 1/4" back and forth.

#15 10 years ago

Ok, I checked again. First the shoe definitely lands in the middle of the 2 rivets. Second, the disc moves a little if I twist it from side to side (about 1/4 inch or so) but it moves very little if I try to wiggle it up and down. I do not use the spotted rollover feature. I'm not sure if it's complicating your issue but I would set that jumper to no spotting or off for now. Do the playfield lights turn off when the disc spins?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from phillyguy64:

Ok, I checked again. First the shoe definitely lands in the middle of the 2 rivets. Second, the disc moves a little if I twist it from side to side (about 1/4 inch or so) but it moves very little if I try to wiggle it up and down.

Ok, mine seems to behave the exact same way.

Quoted from phillyguy64:

I do not use the spotted rollover feature. I'm not sure if it's complicating your issue but I would set that jumper to no spotting or off for now.

Ok now this is interesting! so do you have the spotted rollover feature turned off on purpose? I did not know you could turn it off and on, and know nothing about a "jumper" or what that is. Maybe mine is already turned off and I just need to turn it on? Please elaborate.

Quoted from phillyguy64:

Do the playfield lights turn off when the disc spins?

As of right now when the disc spins the playfield light does not turn off, and the cart in the backglass does not turn on. The rollovers all do behave correctly if you activate them on the playfield itself, just not during the spinning disc feature.

Thanks for all of the help Phillyguy!

#17 10 years ago

There is a jumper on the bottom of the cabinet that you can choose to "spot" a free rollover. It basically gives you a head start in the game by giving you one feebie. I'm at work tonight and will check in the morning. I forget which jumper it is. I think it's the one either in the center near the total game counter or over to the right on the bottom of the cabinet. If it's "off" then you start the game without any freebie rollovers.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from phillyguy64:

There is a jumper on the bottom of the cabinet that you can choose to "spot" a free rollover. It basically gives you a head start in the game by giving you one feebie. I'm at work tonight and will check in the morning. I forget which jumper it is. I think it's the one either in the center near the total game counter or over to the right on the bottom of the cabinet. If it's "off" then you start the game without any freebie rollovers.

Ahhh I see, I do know about that. I have it turned on currently and it will award the rollover at game start if I have the disc properly centered on two grommets, after that though once the disc spins it seems to become misaligned and no longer awards them. I will switch it over tonight though and give it a shot and see if that changes anything somehow.

Does your shoe on the disc center between the two rivets after every spin? If you do not feel comfortable checking with the playfield up and the game on don't worry about it.

Have a good night at work, and thanks again.

#19 10 years ago

My shoe on the spinning disc does appear to land in the center of the rivets every time, at least as far as I can tell. I doubt the spotting jumper has anything to do with your issue. I switched mine and it still works fine. You have to have an open or shorted connection, bad switch contacts or something. I have the schematic. I'm trying to see where your issue might be.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from phillyguy64:

My shoe on the spinning disc does appear to land in the center of the rivets every time, at least as far as I can tell. I doubt the spotting jumper has anything to do with your issue. I switched mine and it still works fine. You have to have an open or shorted connection, bad switch contacts or something. I have the schematic. I'm trying to see where your issue might be.

Thanks Philly, honestly I think the whole issue at this point is how the shoe on the spinning disc does not land in the center of the rivets after every spin. I will adjust it so its right on the money, start a game and it will award me that first spot, after it spins though it will be VERY off center on the rivets, I have tweaked it back and forth countless times but cannot get it to land with any consistency. It seems to vary as to how far off it lands. If it landed say 1/4" to the right every time I could just adjust for that. I think I may need to take the whole thing apart at this point and see if something is loose, or a spring has lost its springiness, or if the gear is maybe worn.

As of right now I have a bunch of people coming over on Saturday, so I will be leaving it alone for right now. At least its playable, just getting the special will be EXTREMELY hard at this point as you would have to get each rollover at the top on each and every ball. I will be shocked if anyone does it this weekend.

I will work on it more, but with the holidays probably will be a couple of weeks.

Thank you both a ton Cash and especially Philly for taking pics and answering questions. I will report back once I start working on it again.

Happy Holidays!

#21 10 years ago

Been watching here for the solve. You're quite welcome....wish it could have been a definitive though for you. You'll get it. Happy Holidays to you too and thanks.

#22 10 years ago

You're welcome. Sounds like the problem is with the loose disc. I'll keep an eye out for when you start working on it again. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

9 months later
#23 9 years ago

reopening this:

Got a bug up my ass about this again and took another look at it. Here is the problem recapped:

The object of World Fair 64 is to light all the carts on the ferris wheel on the backglass to light a rollover for special.

I tested all rollovers, and they all work and light the corresponding cart on the backglass.

The wheel in the middle is where my problem is. During gameplay you hit one of three bumpers and spin it and whichever number it lands on it spots you the cart in the ferris wheel on the backlglass. Mine is not doing that DURING gameplay.

At the start of each game there is a setting to automatically award you whatever number cart the wheel on the playfield is already on. This is being awarded at the beginning of each game. Then on mine whenever you hit the pops and the wheel spins no other carts are awarded from the wheel.

Originally I thought this was a mechanical issue where the mech beneath the playfield was not lining up correctly and therefore not awarding the cart. But tonight I noticed that if I start a new game that the wheel will spot the award at the beginning of the game for whatever number it is on.

So why not DURING the game?

In case that was too complicated this is an example of what my game is doing.

*Game is over and wheel is on number "7"

*New game is started and you are awarded "7" on backglass as reels reset.

*game is played and any time the wheel after that turns it awards nothing.

*game ends and the wheel is on "3"

*new game begins and "3" is awarded on backlglass.

#24 9 years ago

I took a close look at "J"and "K" relays which are the spin & spot relays, all the switches looked correctly adjusted, but I noticed this jumper. Is this supposed to be here? I decided to cut it and see what happened and the game would start but as soon as I hit a switch the score motor started spinning continuously and once turned off the game would not turn back on.

I soldered it back in place and the game works as it did before.

image-2.jpgimage-2.jpg image-660.jpgimage-660.jpg
#25 9 years ago

yeah, don't cut those. Gottlieb used 'bridge' wires for short spaces between switches instead of running whole new wires.

(I don't have a World Fair schematic, else I'd take a peek at the spin thing.)

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

yeah, don't cut those. Gottlieb used 'bridge' wires for short spaces between switches instead of running whole new wires.
(I don't have a World Fair schematic, else I'd take a peek at the spin thing.)

Yeah, figured out pretty quick that it was meant to be like that. I figured the worst I could do was blow a fuse, not like I was going to blow up any boards. It's fixed.

I have the schematic but I don't know exactly what to do with it. Thanks for the info about the bridge wires though, it's good to know.

#27 9 years ago

Ah, well if you have the schematic, then start on the left side where it depicts the lights for the Ferris wheel cars. See what logic feeds a given light (e.g. probably a relay switch or such). Then on the right side of the schematic find the relay associated with that switch and see what logic activates it.

You can post snippets of it here too.

#28 9 years ago

Two pics of schematics, one showing the cart lights, the other shows the "j" and "k"relays.

image-600.jpgimage-600.jpg image-699.jpgimage-699.jpg
#29 9 years ago

Presumably the "Rollover Spot at Start of Game" adjustment plug is in the 'In' position (since it sounds like that's working). That's good, since it taps into the roto unit path directly to activate corresponding #1 thru #11 relay (whichever is spot).

That just narrows it down to three switches then: score motor 2B, K, and J.

Could use an alligator clip jumper wire and just jump across J over to the motor 2B switch and see that it works brute force. But since you've already checked K and J, I'd look at score motor 2B next.

Can also move a jumper wire incrementally bypassing one of the three switches until it works, then the problem lies with the last one skipped.

#30 9 years ago

Hot damn! Possible suspect sighted! Don't have the time to test or solder (I have to put my 2 and a half year old son to bed) but this looks pretty suspect! I believe this is motor 2b, a lot of labels have fallen off, but by looking at others it looks like this could be it.

image-104.jpgimage-104.jpg
#31 9 years ago

sure looks like it; position 2 bracket, level B switch stack. Cold solder joint never a good sign.

#32 9 years ago

Oh the wire wasn't even attached! Driving me crazy I can't go solder it, will report back asap when I can try it.

#33 9 years ago

Yeah! This baby is FIXED! Sometimes walking away for nine months pays off! Fixed in a couple of hours! Thanks dirt flipper for the nudge in the right direction. Can you possibly explain how you read the schematic and it told you to look there. I looked at it again and see it nearby but wonder exactly how you did that.

This game will be a lot a more fun with feature finally working.

Thanks everyone!

#34 9 years ago

I just followed the path from any one of the #1-#11 relays:

WorldFairRoto.jpgWorldFairRoto.jpg

So in the example I've highlighted in yellow, I picked #9. When the roto target lands on #9, the path to the #9 relay is complete when switches on motor 2B, K, and J are all closed. The switch on J is normally closed, so that means that K needs to be energized, and that motor 2B closes as part of the score motor running.

But since you said it was correctly lighting the number on power up, that indicates that the 'alternate' path via the adjustment plug was working (partially highlighted in red). Since this was working, that indicates that the path from the roto target 'target' down to the number relay was good, further isolating the problem to one of those other three switches.

You'd already said you checked K and J, so motor 2B was the most likely suspect.

#35 9 years ago

Thank you! That really does make sense when you lay it out like that. I need to find an EM guy in my area that can just sit down with me and walk me through how to read schematics.

#36 9 years ago

Congrats Steve! So happy to hear you got it working 100%.

#37 9 years ago

I bet Jim can help you read schematics
congrats on the fix Steve-o

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Thank you! That really does make sense when you lay it out like that. I need to find an EM guy in my area that can just sit down with me and walk me through how to read schematics.

You may find this presentation by Chris Hibbler upon schematics useful practicalsteve

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fcur9jvq&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFplbCEy4MtBkzMUYLd_cOWQnfACw

#39 9 years ago

Thanks! I will be sure to listen, wish it wasn't just audio though, I'm much more a visual person.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Congrats Steve! So happy to hear you got it working 100%.

Quoted from pinwillie:

congrats on the fix Steve-o

Thanks guys!

1 year later
#41 7 years ago

In posts 7 & 10 clarification is sought on the correct setting of the pin on the GTB World Fair roto (spinner) wiper disk. There did not seem to be a definitive outcome over whether the pin is intended to strike the left or right rivet or between the two. If anyone is able to clarify I would be very appreciate as I cannot decipher the role of the dual rivets from the schematic shown in post 34. Thks Wayne

#42 7 years ago

Wayner, the double rivets were intended to allow the roto unit to make electrical contact even when it didn't get solidly latched into a specific position (a common problem with Gottlieb roto units). Originally, I believe the proper setting for the wiper was to land centered on the two rivets for normal operation.

However, if some of your rivets have gotten badly worn over the years, that wiper positon may no longer be making solid electrical contact sitting between the pairs of rivets. So you may want to adjust things so that the wiper contacts one of the two rivets more solidly when it is stopped and latched into specific positions.

The main point is, as long as the wiper makes good contact with either of the rivet pair consistently in all stopped positions, the game will work as it should.

- TimMe

#43 7 years ago

Thank you so much TimMe for such a definitive & helpful response to resolve that query. My contacts are ok but on occasions two Ferris wheel cars are lit at the same time as the result of a 'spin disc'.

#44 7 years ago

If your game is set for 3-ball play, the spotting of certain pairs of numbers at the same time is by design.

- TimMe

#45 7 years ago

Thks again TimMe. It is set for 5 ball play but that gives a lead for further investigation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-fair-spinning-disc-not-awarding-spot-tech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.