thumb_IMG_0699_1024_(resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0696_1024_(resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0694_1024_(resized).jpg
P1010005_(resized).JPG
P1010071_(resized).JPG
IMG_0474_(resized).JPG
thumb_IMG_0689_1024_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have a World Fair machine. I recently purchased a new set of plastics from Pinball Rescue. Before I install them I'm trying to figure out what to do about these sling shots. As you can see from the picture the center arm appears to be too high and it has scratched and warped the old plastics. I looked underneath and I don't see how to lower this. Can anyone give me an idea on what to do here? Thank you.

thumb_IMG_0689_1024_(resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0689_1024_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

For a quick fix......Raise the plastic by adding some washers or spacers under the plastic. You will have to take out the two screws to do this.

#3 7 years ago

Phillyfan................You should have 2 different size metal posts on your game. You have the incorrect ones at the slings. Look around the playfield, you should have slightly taller posts under each plastic and the stainless steel rebounds at mid-playfield, (reference the database). The 4 white and 2 yellow rollover guides should have the shorter posts such as what you currently have under the slings.

#4 7 years ago

Straighten your plastics after finding the correct posts. GREAT EM.

#5 7 years ago

Ron's observation would be one way of solving the issue.

However, neither of my 60's wedgeheads had the C-8174 High Caps (see diagram below from the Gottlieb 1968 parts catalog) on the slingshots.

It also appears your game may not have the correct A-8857 fastening screw with the thick platform head. That should raise your plastics by about 1/8".

Try either of those potential solutions.

Lee

IMG_0474_(resized).JPGIMG_0474_(resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Ron's observation would be one way of solving the issue.
However, neither of my 60's wedgeheads had the C-8174 High Caps (see diagram below from the Gottlieb 1968 parts catalog) on the slingshots.
It also appears your game may not have the correct A-8857 fastening screw with the thick platform head. That should raise your plastics by about 1/8".
Try either of those potential solutions.
Lee

I restored one of these, no screw posts and caps on mine, from the pics the jewel posts under the slings appear to the tall ones. Game is gone unfortunately.

P1010071_(resized).JPGP1010071_(resized).JPG

P1010005_(resized).JPGP1010005_(resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

I didn't even realize I had two different sized posts but I sure did. I'm switching them out now. Thank you guys!

thumb_IMG_0694_1024_(resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0694_1024_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

By '68, Gtb. was moving away from metal posts. The only domestic game I could find in the database using metal posts in '68 was Palace Guard and sample Royal Guard games. Referencing the database, Palace Guard clearly uses both sizes.

The fastening screw shown, (A-8857), did not show up until '65, when Gtb. started using acorn nuts to secure the plastics, (Kings & Queens, Hi Dolly). World Fair uses a fastening screw with a slotted top that screws down flush with the plastic.

#9 7 years ago

From the photos on ipdb, I think that Ron was completely correct with his observation regarding the high cap being the correct part for the slings for World Fair.

OTOH, I have two wedgeheads from 1965 and both (B-A-B and K&Q) came to me with the C-8173 low cap and the A-8857 fastening screw. That config also serves to raise the plastic height. Not to say that photos on ipdb are always 100% correct, but the photos of my '65 machines seem to agree. Gottlieb probably figured out they could save a penny or so by subbing the screw for the higher cap???

#10 7 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I switched everything out. Great job by Pinball Rescue on the new plastics. My machine has a total of 10 of the higher caps. I now have 6 of them on the sling shots, the other 4 are on the long vertical metal bumpers on the far left and far right of the machine. Everything else has the shorter caps. I also purchased a new plastic wheel but I haven't installed it yet. It doesn't come with the metal rim around it so I'm not sure if I want to use it.

thumb_IMG_0696_1024_(resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0696_1024_(resized).jpg

thumb_IMG_0699_1024_(resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0699_1024_(resized).jpg

thumb_IMG_0701_1024_(resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0701_1024_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Your old one looks fine but you can move the ring over if you can press rivets.

#12 7 years ago

Yeah I think I want to keep the metal ring. I guess I would have to drill out the old rivets. I'm not sure I even want to risk that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-fair-sling-shot-adjustment-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.