Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.27.37 PM (resized).png
011A9990-B038-4451-9699-63631EABC826 (resized).jpeg
C24CB9E5-DDFB-4795-9C69-A5084C14A00D (resized).jpeg
0C689922-DED3-4AA8-9F1F-84B341EA6B18 (resized).jpeg
A6D2F42A-C8B3-43AD-8EC0-71AE5DD19A25 (resized).jpeg
32BB67C5-BFC3-449C-B25C-6F83D5D4758B (resized).jpeg
S76 Power Wiring (resized).jpg
4ECADF0A-D7EC-4369-ABEF-48256CEA16F3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago

Looks like a DPST switch. Typically it would have been done with a SPST switch and one pair wire instead of two pair. But it should work ok. It should have a cover for safety. How about this for a cover?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/53#post-5614776

#16 3 years ago

I second Mopar's method tieing into the bounce switch, as this is how the game was originally designed to switch off. Also agree with his recommendation/link to the push button SPST switch or equivalent. I like push button rather than toggle design, as you can't see the toggle under the cabinet and sometimes you have to feel around to operate it, but with a push button all you have to do is find the button and push. If you want to make things safer, go with the 3 prong grounded plug and ground the cabinet metal parts.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

If you’re working on a live machine and touch the hot lead of the 115 volts (Say the convenience outlet which bypasses the machine fuse) while leaning against the grounded side rails, you could get quite a jolt.

True. But why would you want to touch a live wire in the first place?

On the other hand, if a live wire happened to touch anything ungrounded in the machine (side rails, legs, coin door, etc...) and you happened to touch any of those ungrounded pieces of metal, you would get quite a jolt. This would be an instance where you were not working on the machine, but rather just playing it with a defective wiring condition.

Did I miss something? Is there a reason not to run a 3 wire, grounded system?

Add the switch in this line shown in the attachment. Leave the bounce switch in the circuit...just in case someone wants to bounce the game!

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.27.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.27.37 PM (resized).png
1 week later
#36 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

should I make the side rails permanently grounded?

Yes

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Gottlieb metal flipper buttons. Ground these also or is that overkill?

Good question. I think they should also be grounded, because if the button were to become energized and you had your finger touching the button and hand on the grounded side rail (i.e., playing the game), then the voltage would be conducted through your flipper button finger to palm on the side rail and you would get shocked.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-fair-on-off-switch-safety-?tu=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.