Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dia (resized).JPG
thumb_IMG_0313_1024 (resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0312_1024 (resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0310_1024 (resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0309_1024 (resized).jpg
Scan 2018-2-19 0002 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyfan64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I’m having a problem at start up. The game is set for 5 ball play. A lot of times the 5th ball will not load. It seems like the gate does not stay open long enough to allow all 5 balls to drop. It closes too fast and only 4 balls will load. It doesn’t happen every time but it is getting much worse lately. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Bump. Similar issue a couple years ago. Went back and looked at that thread. Adjusted switches on the stack of the ball release relay but issue remains. It was suggested it could be with a points relay but I’m not really following. I can post pictures of the schematic if anyone has an idea.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks fredsmysthson. Here's a scan. Some of the print is hard to read. I can post more areas tonight after work if needed.

Scan 2018-2-19 0002 (resized).jpgScan 2018-2-19 0002 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Thank you for the detailed info. I will check it tonight.

#7 6 years ago

Adjusted switches. No luck. I don't think it's ever worked correctly. That gate has always closed before I started a game. It would usually stay open just long enough to allow all 5 balls to load. It’s intermittent that only 4 balls drop.

thumb_IMG_0309_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0309_1024 (resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0310_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0310_1024 (resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0312_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0312_1024 (resized).jpg
thumb_IMG_0313_1024 (resized).jpgthumb_IMG_0313_1024 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

I ran a long jumper wire from the backbox M relay to the On Ball Release switch trying to match wire colors. Still no luck. Reset relay looks ok but I will keep looking. Like I said I don’t think it’s ever worked correctly but I never noticed it.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Still no luck. I will continue to work on it. Could there be anything wrong the coil itself that would prevent it from holding the gate open?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Yea there are only 2 contacts on the "hold" side of the circuit, a normally closed on the M (ie the first bit of scoring/M triggered will release) and the contact on the stack of the ball gate. Look for the OR-BL OR+BL leads on the stack and afix your jumper there...

No luck with this.

Quoted from wiredoug:

remember to check the WIRE side of the m relay as well to make sure they arent mashed shut

It looks ok as fas I can tell.

Quoted from pinhead52:

Run a jumper from the 24v fuse to the coil, see if it will stay pulled in... most likely a dirty contact on the ball gate stack

I'm confused on this one. Which fuse is the 24 volt fuse? From which side of the fuse to which lug of the coil?

On the schematic I see some switches on the coin door. This game is on free play. Does that matter? I'm not good with these schematics.

#16 6 years ago

Bump.

I did some reading up on EM schematics to get a better understanding. I tried this last suggestion of running a jumper from the 24 volt fuse to the coil. That does cause the coil to lock on and the gate to open and stay open. However, I don't know what that means or what my next move is to try to find this problem. Anyone? Bueller?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

The test with the jumper wire showed that the ball release coil / solenoid was working properly... We might want to look at this a different way, meaning what circuit keeps the ball release coil energized? The schematic should show how the switches are set after the machine resets and the game balls are at the ball lift waiting to be lifted to the ball shooter lane.
Following the circuit back from the ball release coil, the first closed switch is the D relay switch. I can't see some of the wire colors on the portion of the schematic posted, but the next switches in the circuit would be the X relay switch, the T relay switch and the last switch would be the S relay switch. So, you would want to make sure switches on the D, X, T and S relays were clean and adjusted properly...

Checking... thanks.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

So here is the ball gate circuit. Try your alligator clip from 24v at spot 1 to see if the gate stays open, this is checking the contact on the gate itself.
Spot2 shecks the path to the M relay including the Jones plug, then spot 3 checks the contact on M istself

Fixed!! You guys are awesome. In using my alligator clips I discovered a broken solder joint. On the M relay there is a jumper wire that had come loose on one of the lugs. It jumps from one lug to another.

One last question. Now that the ball gate stays open until points are scored, is it safe to leave the game on in sort of standby mode with that gate open? (In other words, press start button, score resets to zero, but then walk away before playing at least one ball). Or will that cause that ball release coil to overheat?

Thank you very much everyone for your help.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

probably not a good idea to leave it on for extended periods. My buddy yells at me for holding the flipper up trapping the ball

Yeah it's what I figured. Thanks again for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyfan64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-fair-5th-ball-not-loading?tu=phillyfan64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.