(Topic ID: 78535)

World Cup Switch Matrix Help: SOLVED

By SchertzPinball

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I had this game working 100% before I shopped it out. When I turned it back on, I had missed a switch and I shorted a switch to a lamp socket. I decided to use Siegecrafts lamp matrix and switch matrix testers. The lamp tester worked great and showed me I had a row out. I hooked up the switch tester and it didn't work. I discovered I had the pins reversed in each of the driver board connectors. So pin 1 on tester board went to pin 9, 2 to 8 etc... on the driver board on both row and column. The resistors got hot, and I smelled burning, but no smoke.

The game does boot and now I can't access test modes, add credits or start a game. I can get into the audit section, but the game goes dead when I try to get into the test modes. The game over light is flashing and high score to date is alternating with zeros. Half the feature lights are solid and half are out, but no flashing lights like attract mode should have.

I broke out Leons test chip and the switch matrix is fine, the resistors ohm out correctly, and everything else I can test is fine. What else could I have damaged? I can't imagine the mis-wired connectors doing damage as the machine would just read the inputs from the test buttons different than what I was expecting.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? This game is supposed to be raffled off this Friday in a fund raiser.

Jason

#2 10 years ago

I'd try a different CPU if you can.

Yours has likely suffered more than U20 and the LM339's.

Sorry.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

LLoyd,

Are you referring to World Cup Soccer, or the System 3 World Cup? I'm working on the sys3. I know U20 is a common problem on WPC games.

Jason

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

Are you referring to World Cup Soccer,

Sorry. Please ignore me.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

I'm glad you were referring to the wrong game. It turned out that the 5101 was bad. All is well now.

Jason

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-switch-matrix-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.