9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pdman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pdman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Been off the Forums here for quite a while, 7 months I think, but wanted to share this.

I know many here have experienced reset issues with WPC based Pins. I know there is a pinwiki dealing with this issue as well. My WCS94, late last Fall, began having reset issues. Since it is out in the garage and Winter was approaching, I put the repair on the back burner until last week.
I knew it wasn't the filter Caps on the power/driver PCB as I had changed 5 of them a year earlier. I got out my scope and DMM and monitored the +5VDC output. I noticed it would drop below 4.75 VDC. Actually the +5 VDC would fluctuate from 4.75 to 5.1 VDC. There was no particular pattern or time involved. The 5 VDC could be steady for a while or it could vary. I started suspecting the LM323 +5 VDC Regulator. However I scoped and DMM'd the input to the LM323 and saw my filtered DC input voltage was varying all over the place.
I replaced the BR2 Bridge Rectifier and the reset issue is Gone. The LM323 needs to see a minimum of 7.5 VDC to reliably output a constant +5VDC. Actually, that low limit is pushing it. It should be at least a couple of volts higher to give it some fudge factor.

This reset issue affects a lot of the WPC Pins. My advice, if you get the reset issue, is to get out your DMM and Scope, if you have one, and do some voltage monitoring, versus shotgunning of components.

Another possible reset cause is the Thermistor in the AC line input.

Anyways WCS is running great right now..

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

BTW...each of the possible causes you note are within the Wiki procedure, thanks to a lot of folks providing their experience.

Right, resets can have many causes. Just trying to reinforce using test equipment and common sense when troubleshooting. I have helped many here and I know many others who have been helping even more. Many good Folks here always trying to help and offering great advice.
I see good advice offered, ie. measure this, measure that, check this, etc.
Many times the person troubleshooting will not do what they are being asked to do or measure or check, etc.
Very frustrating from both sides as the person trying to fix the pin gets discouraged and the ones making the suggestions are never getting any measures or data back. Makes it hard to troubleshoot the issue.

#5 9 years ago

Right, I saw that as well. Looks like an absolute great product.
However I prefer to fix all my electronic issues. But this product definitely has a place
and use for Pinball. It will also let less technical Folks get their Pins up
and running again without pulling boards and desoldering components, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pdman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-wpc-reset-issue-problem-solution?tu=pdman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.