11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

My WCS started having what I've now learned is a very common reset problem (booted up, starts, first touch of a flipper resets the game).

I bought a soldering iron, watched enough youtube videos to figure it out and got to work. I am developing only the vaguest understanding of how all this crap works by the best way I know how - breaking things, then figuring it out.

So I replaced the two bridge rectifiers and the four capacitors around it. Didn't work (same reset issue as before). Then I replaced the little C4 capacitor (spec'd in the manual as 100mfd 10v) with a 100mfd 16v and it worked... but reset randomly halfway into the tenth game. This pissed me off a lot after what felt like an epic personal victory.

After rewatching a series of excellent videos on pinballhelp.com, I replaced that C4 again with a 470mfd 25v (per instructions). Now it resets before even getting out of the test screen.

And now my question: have I screwed it up worse? Should I just go back to the original C4?

I've begun to really enjoy the soldering. Not so much with the desoldering.

Thanks!

1 week later
#4 11 years ago

Updating this in case anyone ends up with similar problems and finds this thread...

I replaced the little C4 capacitor with a 100mfd 25v - it worked for about 10 games, then the resets started up again.

I was ready to give in and call a professional, then I went ahead and replaced the other three bridge rectifiers and one snap-cap (I had the parts and wanted to play with the desoldering gun again). As far as I understand, these three bridge recs and other big cap aren't part of the 5v system that generally causes this reset issue... but replacing them all seemed to do the trick.

So in total across several different days I ultimately replaced all five bridge recs (including the two under the heat sync), all five big snap capacitors and the little bastard C4 capacitor.

I still half expect it to start reseting again at any moment, but its been about a week so I'm probably ok.

Post edited by juster : added clarification

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-resets?tu=juster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.