Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by practicalsteve
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WCS-08.jpg
IMG_1651.jpg
IMG_1650 .jpg
IMG_1648.jpg
IMG_1647.jpg
IMG_1646.jpg
IMG_1645.jpg
IMG_1644 copy.jpg
IMG_1642.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1636.jpg
IMG_1635.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

If it's minor wear around the holes and all done up, that's probably a fair price for it. You could always offer lower in person and see what they say. The big deal are the ramps, they're usually tore up pretty good, but there are remakes in the works (hopefully soon).

#52 5 years ago

Well... I finally did it! Brought home that WCS today with the help of a local pinsider. Jeff was "key" as having done this many times before knew what to bring and how to take it away. We had all of about 1/4" clearance on a door opening to get it outside the house. The incentive was clear. If we couldn't go this route (ground level) it would have taken us up the stairs and through the home so phew! I got it home and played about 10 games with my son before calling it a night. It's fully functional and plays very well indeed. The pinballs barely kick from glancing off the old and dirty soccer ball but that's to be expected I would think. I'll buy a new one unless a good cleaning of the old can revive the surface to produce some effective friction. Other than that it plays great! So glad I got this title... it's a lot of fun and very engaging to have you shoot for that Germany game. Since I have that HOU BSM along side I definitely want to learn how to tear this one down and rebuild to similar quality...if that's possible. $ bet $ can do th$s w$thout too much d$ff$culty right? I have no clue where to begin and I don't consider myself very mechanically inclined so this is going to be a challenge but I'm really psyched about what the end product could look like. Another member has offered to help me and I am humbled by how many nice folks there are on Pinside. What a great hobby if for nothing else the people you come in contact with and the generous help and information freely given by most all. Awesome!

#53 5 years ago

Awesome, congrats on the purchase. There's a lot of information online to help you with whatever you need, and if there's something you're unsure about, just post here, and i'm sure you'll get a reply asap. Enjoy WCS, i'd love to own it someday. Take some pics

#54 5 years ago

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

#56 5 years ago

This one is a beast to take down to the playfield and shop out. Take your time and take lots of pictures. Screws, posts, washers, etc. should be placed in ziplock bags and labelled for each assembly.

Shopping out a pin is very satisfying though it can be frustrating at times. If you don't have a few extra washers/screws by the time you're done then you haven't done it right!

Good luck! It seems like you got a good deal on a very fun pin!

#57 5 years ago

Yeah, this is a bad one to start with, but afterwards you'll be ready for just about anything.

A tip, run a fish line through the holes in the ramps as you layer them on top of each other so you can easily pull the connectors back through to the underside of the table. Old piece of wire, shoestring, whatever.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

This one is a beast to take down to the playfield and shop out. Take your time and take lots of pictures. Screws, posts, washers, etc. should be placed in ziplock bags and labelled for each assembly.
Shopping out a pin is very satisfying though it can be frustrating at times. If you don't have a few extra washers/screws by the time you're done then you haven't done it right!
Good luck! It seems like you got a good deal on a very fun pin!

HA! I already offered your services to help him out! lol. I will be going to check it out this week. will keep you posted……..

#59 5 years ago

There is no way I would trust myself doing something like this and scale without help. yoshootme has volunteered to step up and guide me all the way through. I'm psyched!

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

HA! I already offered your services to help him out! lol. I will be going to check it out this week. will keep you posted……..

Yeah let me check with the pregnant wife and see if she'll let me go free for a few hours. I'LL DO ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Yeah let me check with the pregnant wife and see if she'll let me go free for a few hours.

The more the merrier. Just let me know what your fav libations are.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from malibumaven:

There is no way I would trust myself doing something like this and scale without help. yoshootme has volunteered to step up and guide me all the way through. I'm psyched!

Take it one step at a time. May I suggest a flipper rebuild for your first task? I am sure it could use one, Plus its inexpensive, and makes it play so much better.

#63 5 years ago

Mali - can't make it tonight - dinner with the in-laws. I gave Rich a list of a few things to look for. Will make it out next time. Good luck!

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

May I suggest a flipper rebuild for your first task?

Sounds like a plan... I have great help on it's way as well. ty

Quoted from S37VEN:

Mali - can't make it tonight - dinner with the in-laws. I gave Rich a list of a few things to look for. Will make it out next time. Good luck!

No problem...it's the thought that counts! See U next time... don't forget to give me what you'd like to drink.

#65 5 years ago

Looks great, congrats. Now polish up those wireforms

#66 5 years ago

Good buy! Shopping a WCS is not too hard, just take pics along the way if it's your first time tearing down a playfield or you Will forget where things go! Bag small parts by assembly and label the bags. You'll be fine. I just finished shopping mine and it makes a world of difference in both looks and gameplay!

WCS-08.jpg

#67 5 years ago

how much would you offer if you would have to do a full playfield rebuild? (the playfield is stripped)

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from kjm8888:

I just finished shopping mine and it makes a world of difference in both looks and gameplay!

Those colors look awesome. What a difference to the bulbs I have... I just see yellow overall. I hope mine comes out like yours. Thx

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from malibumaven:

Those colors look awesome. What a difference to the bulbs I have... I just see yellow overall. I hope mine comes out like yours. Thx

I used Cointaker frosted LEDs on mine. Purple for all GI except slingshots, which are cool white. I also used cool white under the pops and lane guides because purple made the teal plastics look blue. All inserts were color matched with the following exceptions:

Yellow inserts: Cool white
Orange inserts: Warm white.
WORLDCUP inserts leading to left loop: Purple
Soccer ball inserts in center of pf: blue

On the ramp signs I used a green, yellow and red (top to bottom) and duplicated that on the skill shot lights on the right.

I love the way mine turned out! Bottom line: Don't be afraid to experiment. If you don't like how it looks you can simply change them out. Good luck and post pics when you're done!

#70 5 years ago

If you don't want to bother with figuring out what you want, www.pinballbulbs.com has a nice kit for it. I have it, and like it a lot. They take great care in bulb selection for each machine, along with additional LED strips and/or posts and reflectors.

Their warm white LED's are some of the best I've ever seen.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

If you don't want to bother with figuring out what you want, http://www.pinballbulbs.com has a nice kit for it. I have it, and like it a lot. They take great care in bulb selection for each machine, along with additional LED strips and/or posts and reflectors.
Their warm white LED's are some of the best I've ever seen.

I haven't tried their kits, as I like to do my own thing with LEDs, but I love their LED strips and spots! I didn't need any on the WCS but I used them on my Baywatch, Stargate and Wipeout. They make no mention of it on their website but the Williams light strips are Plug-and-Play on Gottlieb System 3 games. The spots, not so much (Sega posts too small, Williams posts too big).

#72 5 years ago

I'll play around with them later but I also saw a pic in here with using just white and frosted white and I was also very impressed with that setup as well. That brings the original colors back as the mfg intended. Will be fun to play around with this...that's waaaaaaay down the road from where I'm at now.

#73 5 years ago

+1 for pinballbulbs kits and +100 for WCS!

#74 5 years ago

brad, here is my favorite looking (no offense to others as they look great too!) WCS94 http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-a-wcs-updated-jpop-lineup-beforeafter-lighting-pics

and your not that far away! lol

#75 5 years ago

That's really nice. Even though it's the same pin I like the second shot more than the first. I guess it's all in the angles but the second one looks brighter to me. Here's another one I really like. He only used white... look how the colors "pop".

http://img-f.pinside.com/201403/1556039/210507.jpg

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from malibumaven:

That's really nice. Even though it's the same pin I like the second shot more than the first. I guess it's all in the angles but the second one looks brighter to me. Here's another one I really like. He only used white... look how the colors "pop".
http://img-f.pinside.com/201403/1556039/210507.jpg

how is the teardown going? let me know when you want me back!
i do like the pic you just posted even better.

#77 5 years ago

Just got a 1/4" and 5/16" Klein nut driver up at HD for about $20 and will have to order the 11/32" online. So a little delay but plan on getting to it! A second look at my ramps/plastics shows that the yellowing is primarily on the small pieces of plastics attached to the ramps to keep the ball on track or that circular piece with a soccer player on it located back left. I'm tempted to try that flame polishing on the ramps to get the scratches out. Guys make it look so easy on youtube!

#78 5 years ago

^^^^ please find an old ramp to practice on first or make sure that you can find a new replacement one if things go wrong!!! Those guys make it look easy because they all have done it before! Every one of the experts will suggest you practice on a junk ramp to start with.

#79 5 years ago

Every one of the experts will suggest you practice on a junk ramp to start with.

Any one have a practice and (most likely) sacrificial ramp?

#80 5 years ago

I just flame polished my wcs ramps. It was my first attempt. It went really easy. Got a flame torch from Harbor Freight and went to town. I just stayed away from the decals and it really makes a huge difference. It is really important to clean the hell out of the ramp before torching. Dust will get burned into the plastic if it's dirty. You can actually see the flame polishing it while you are doing it. Don't stay at one place at all. Constant movement and you should be good to go.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from malibumaven:

Any one have a practice and (most likely) sacrificial ramp?

Maybe start a new thread asking for one? If you do decide to forgo trying on a practice ramp first maybe start out with a smaller torch like a creme brulee one.

#82 5 years ago

You guys are really making too much an issue with flame polishing.

1. Turn on stove to high.
2. Wave ramp around flame.
3. Let cool.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from malibumaven:

Just got a 1/4" and 5/16" Klein nut driver up at HD for about $20 and will have to order the 11/32" online. So a little delay but plan on getting to it! A second look at my ramps/plastics shows that the yellowing is primarily on the small pieces of plastics attached to the ramps to keep the ball on track or that circular piece with a soccer player on it located back left. I'm tempted to try that flame polishing on the ramps to get the scratches out. Guys make it look so easy on youtube!

Take them back and go to Harbor Freight and get an entire set for 7.99. Hollow shaft too.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Take them back and go to Harbor Freight and get an entire set for 7.99. Hollow shaft too.

DOH!

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

You guys are really making too much an issue with flame polishing.

1. Turn on stove to high.
2. Wave ramp around flame.
3. Let cool.

Part of me tells me...you're serious.

#86 5 years ago

Maybe start a new thread asking for one? If you do decide to forgo trying on a practice ramp first maybe start out with a smaller torch like a creme brulee one.

Good idea and easy sell to my wife.

1) Buy small torch

2) Make creme brûlée (Mothers day coming up)

3) Comment "Hey, I wonder if this thing might just work for flame polishing"

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from malibumaven:

Part of me tells me...you're serious.

haha.. Never.

But someone gave me a thumbs down, so I guess my joke wasn't taken as funny.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

haha.. Never.
But someone gave me a thumbs down, so I guess my joke wasn't taken as funny.

Sure, it's all fun and games until someone melts a ramp.....

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from malibumaven:

Good idea and easy sell to my wife.

1) Buy small torch

2) Make creme brûlée (Mothers day coming up)

3) Comment "Hey, I wonder if this thing might just work for flame polishing"

Now you are thinking! at least with the smaller torch you have a better chance of not scorching a hole in your ramp.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside