Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wc1.jpg
wc.jpg
#1 11 years ago

ive decided to shop out my WCS94 ive changed out SOOO many bulbs already. I changed the 3 Pop bumper bulbs and they still wont light? the pop bumpers work perfect just the lights dont light up. What should i check. Pins are really new to me so let me know what i should look for. thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Do you have a meter and can use it ?

If so first things is check power below the playfield going to the sockets. If you have power then most likely you have bad sockets.

If no power at the sockets, then follow the wires back to the power driver board and try and figure where it stops.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

yea i have a meter (not exactly sure how it works though) what are the odds of all 3 of the pop bumpers bulb sockets being bad?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from towmater2003:

what are the odds of all 3 of the pop bumpers bulb sockets being bad?

Since you have three not lighting, I'd say pretty good.

Search YouTube to figure out how to use your meter. That would help you on where to go next a lot.

LTG

#5 11 years ago

Other than the pop bumpers, is the right-side GI working on the game? On mine, I had a flaky GI connector (one or 2 pin were not making good contact) and it took out the 3 pop bumper lights plus about half of the GI (the right side).

#6 11 years ago

dont laugh but im not sure which are even considerd the GI lights. let me know and ill check. as far as i can tell all my lights work but the 3 pop bumpers and the light inder the insert that says "coin toss"

#7 11 years ago

Coin toss is a feature lamp, pop bumpers and under places like slingshot plastics are GI on your game.

Feature lamps are DC and GI is AC, you measure AC hot to common and not to ground.

Coin too you can check with a meter too and see if no power or bad bulb or socket.

LTG

#8 11 years ago

now that you explained the lights under the slingshots are not lit either.....so what does that mean

#9 11 years ago

now that you explained the lights under the slingshots are not lit either.....so what does that mean

Start by checking your power board fuses with the meter. You cannot rely on visual inspection. If the fuses are ok next would be examining the condition and wires in J120 and J121.

#10 11 years ago

So are the Power boards in the backbox? im a total NEWBIE to the pinball world so im learning all i can right now! thanks for the help

#11 11 years ago

So are the Power boards in the backbox? im a total NEWBIE to the pinball world so im learning all i can right now! thanks for the help

Power driver board is in the back box. biggest board with all the bridge rectifiers on it.

Fuses for GI and connectors are on the lower left corner.

Check to see if the connector in or connector out has burn, then pull and check GI fuses with your meter for continuity.

LTG

#12 11 years ago

I changed the 3 Pop bumper bulbs and they still wont light?

Did you try these original bulbs from the pops in another location where the bulbs did work?

#13 11 years ago

ok well heres what i found when i looked in the backbox.......so what exactly is needed here? where do i get new connectors at?

wc.jpgwc.jpg wc1.jpgwc1.jpg

#14 11 years ago

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Ed has what you need. Parts and tools. You'll need size .156

Get extras and practice at a table and when you are good move onto the game.

You'll need to replace the female push on connector and the male pins connector on the board.

If you just replace the female side, your new one will burn up fast because the male pins are alreadt damaged.

LTG

#15 11 years ago

Welcome to the world of burnt connectors and possible burnt boards. Since you never worked on your pin being a newbie maybe a fellow pinsider in your area could show you how to fix. You have to have great sodering skills to fix the pins on the board you may also have bad traces.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Welcome to the world of burnt connectors and possible burnt boards. Since you never worked on your pin being a newbie maybe a fellow pinsider in your area could show you how to fix. You have to have great sodering skills to fix the pins on the board you may also have bad traces.

OH GREAT....LOL! I want to learn how to do everything so are there videos on how to do things. IM not afraid to try. SERIOUSLY Thanks every one for helping me out!

#17 11 years ago

OH GREAT....LOL! I want to learn how to do everything so are there videos on how to do things. IM not afraid to try. SERIOUSLY Thanks every one for helping me out!

Check YouTube.

Practice on an old board before you replace the pins on yours. Or get someone to do it for you.

LTG

#18 11 years ago

IS THERE SOMEONE YOU RECOMENT TO SEND MY BOARD TO? I HAVE A GUY THAT HAS REPAIRED TWO OF MY PACMAN PCBS.....WOULD HE BE A GOOD CHOICE. I TRUST HIS SOLDERING SKILLS.

#19 11 years ago

What causes the burn on the pins/board?

#20 11 years ago

IS THERE SOMEONE YOU RECOMENT TO SEND MY BOARD TO? I HAVE A GUY THAT HAS REPAIRED TWO OF MY PACMAN PCBS.....WOULD HE BE A GOOD CHOICE. I TRUST HIS SOLDERING SKILLS.

If he repaired your Pac PCB's He should be able to repair the board.
Are you going to do the connectors ?

Over time connections can oxidize or just the size of the contacts may be undersized for total current draw, or the contacts are making a poor connection.
Eventually the connection will have a resistance develop. Now you are drawing current at this junction, which in turn will create heat. The process continues until you have the results as seen on your PCB header and your connector housing and contacts.

What you have experieced is very typical. I had the same issues with my WCS.

Good luck.

#21 11 years ago

Poor design. more current going through them then what they are rated for.

LTG

#22 11 years ago

If your guy can't do it, Rob Anthony ( posts as Borygard ).

http://www.lockwhenlit.com/

LTG

#23 11 years ago

Very similar looking connectors in my WCS (well, yours look a bit better!) http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moved-wcs-not-powering-up

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

If he repaired your Pac PCB's He should be able to repair the board.
Are you going to do the connectors ?

yea i think i can do that just fine. I even think i could put the new pins in the board but im not 100% sure i can on that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-pop-bumper-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.