View topic image gallery

WC94 Power Board (resized).jpg
transformer (resized).jpg
jumper (resized).jpg
jumper (resized).jpg
DMM 80-100 Vac.gif
IMG_9565 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

The Problem: (image attached) Display lights up every light but you can still see the actual game play and messages. This is the second time the machine has done this. I replaced the driver board with a new one from Rottendog and and installed new ribbon cables and a new known working display from another machine. The new display board worked when installed but failed after a couple hours. Rottendog was cool enough to bench test it for me and the fix on the display board was the LM337 voltage regulator damaged. Rottendog fixed and returned to me the fixed working display board.

The twist: I also had a F112 fuse blown during all of this. Not sure if this was related or not. I checked BR1, BR2, and BR3 and all tested 400-600. I narrowed the fuse problem to either a light by the magnet on left side or the ball motor. I disconnected boththe light and the ball motor and the fuse does not blow. I then re-installed the fixed display board from rottendog and the display worked perfectly for about two hours. All the lights are back to fully lit and the f112 fuse has NOT blown.

The low voltage at display are normal and high voltages at the display measure 158v, 141v, G, G, and 69V. Machine has full LED kit so there is a lower amp load.

The Future: That is all i can think to add for now. Buy a color Display if you guys think it would bypass all this and not get damaged. OR I am going to set fire to it, OR I receive a miracle fix on Pinside OR trade toward a newer machine Thanks in Advance for any help.

IMG_9565 (resized).JPGIMG_9565 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from dougpw:

high voltages at the display measure 158v, 141v,

That is too high (too low actually) as it should be around -125Vdc and -113Vdc

Start with ac voltages on J605

DMM 80-100 Vac.gifDMM 80-100 Vac.gif

When ac voltages are out of spec, check the transformer settings.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

That is too high (too low actually) as it should be around -125Vdc and -113Vdc
Start with ac voltages on J605

When ac voltages are out of spec, check the transformer settings.

The Measurement on J605 is 121v AC (on left of your diagram) and 96v AC (on the right of your diagram)

#5 6 years ago

That is a definitive guide to fixing this machine. Thank you. I read through the entire guide and couldn't really pinpoint my display issue. The jumper on my power looks correct for 120AC. I did test the male pins on the display DMD board vs. the readings at the display. Voltages at the display measure 158v, 141v, G, G, and 69V and the readings at the male connections of the DMD board were 160v 100v, G, G, 75v.

Could this problem be isolated in the power driver board? if so is it easier just to buy a new replacement board and move on?

Thanks,

#6 6 years ago

Are you able to measure the mains voltage in your house.
A blown voltage regulator, fuse 112 and 121+96Vac for the display could all be related to a problem with transformer or wall-power.

Can you also measure voltage on powerdriver testpoint TP1 (~14 volt).

The +65 -113 -125 display voltages are not related to the powerdriverboard so a new board won't help here.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Are you able to measure the mains voltage in your house.
A blown voltage regulator, fuse 112 and 121+96Vac for the display could all be related to a problem with transformer or wall-power.
Can you also measure voltage on powerdriver testpoint TP1 (~14 volt).
The +65 -113 -125 display voltages are not related to the powerdriverboard so a new board won't help here.

The Main AC measurement at where i have the machine powered is 118.5vAC. The measurement at TP1 is 15.97vDC

#8 6 years ago

118.5 Vac should be ok.
TP1 (15.97 Vdc) is a little higher than normal. Without load it is mostly 14.5 Vdc

I think that all transformer secondary voltages are higher than normal.

#9 6 years ago

Is my next move to replace the power supply and or transformer?

#10 6 years ago

I would first check all secondary voltages out of the transformer to be sure. And double-check the plug with jumpers on the transformer. (picture maybe ?)

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

I would first check all secondary voltages out of the transformer to be sure. And double-check the plug with jumpers on the transformer. (picture maybe ?)

so...to test the secondary voltages...not sure exactly how to do that...sorry above me...a couple pictures of the jumper and harnesses out of transformer.

jumper (resized).jpgjumper (resized).jpg

transformer (resized).jpgtransformer (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

The jumperplug is configured for 120Vac so that is correct.

So, I have no explanation why the secondary voltages are too high.
Could be the transformer, or the multimeter showing wrong values.

#13 6 years ago

What voltages are you getting on all of the test points on the driver board?

Start by measuring with just the transformer plugs attached, and see what voltages you are getting:

I rebuilt my WCS driver board a while back, and you can find the voltages I saw here:

http://www.riderx.info/wpc-driver-board-upgrade/

7 months later
#14 5 years ago

Just updating the fix I had on this issue. After hours of frustration, I took it to Doc Pinball in Indiana. Highly recommend Mark Wagner over there. Something in the power supply was telling the machine it was wired for 100AC. This indicated the machine may have spent time outside of the US. This problem was not located in the jumper area where I thought it might be as it was configured correctly for USA. Also see pictures...

WC94 Power Board (resized).jpgWC94 Power Board (resized).jpgjumper (resized).jpgjumper (resized).jpg
1 year later
#15 4 years ago

Just looking at this - a year later - why would a high-voltage piggyback board be needed with a brand new DMD controller....to me, that's odd.....and unnecessary....... but often in the same sentence when invoking Wagner repairs....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-bally-1994-display-problem-all-lights-lit?hl=dougpw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.