(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,491 posts
  • 740 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Phoerber
  • Topic is favorited by 272 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wcs2 (resized).jpg
wcs3 (resized).jpg
wcs1 (resized).jpg
20240414_122747 (resized).jpg
IMG_8610 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6904 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6900 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5058 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffsgames.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#579 10 years ago

I finally beat Germany! What a rush. I love that mode!

Hey over Thanksgiving I spent some time replacing the plastics and ball, and installing an LED kit from pinballbulbs.com. The kit came with a few add-on kits for spots and strip lighting too. I really like how it looked but recently taped over a few of the LEDs on the backbox strip because it just seemed a bit too bright back there.

Here are some pics before I taped the strip in the back. Have to get a current pic once I am happy with how much I'm cutting back on that strip.

I also experimented with clear flippers and super bands. I like how they look but I think I'm going to get translucent red super bands instead. I think it will look better and easier to see.

FYI I bought the ball from Illinois Pinball. They didn't have it on their site but I called and got one no problem. I think they have a small number of them. I originally bought one from Marco the week of Expo, but when I got it in the mail the paint was peeling off. They were down to a few bad ones. They took it back no problem, and I think they pulled the rest out of inventory because the last few they had were bad. They have another order placed for them but didn't say when they would have them restocked.

100_4042.JPG100_4042.JPG DSCN3031.jpgDSCN3031.jpg DSCN3019.jpgDSCN3019.jpg 100_4045.JPG100_4045.JPG 100_3975.JPG100_3975.JPG 100_4031.JPG100_4031.JPG
#588 10 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

... to the poster who put up the pics just earlier in the thread, your pin looks absolutely GORGEOUS. That may have just pushed me to get an LED kit.

I highly recommend the kit from pinballbulbs.com. It really brightens up the playfield and makes the game a blast to play. Especially with their add-ons they package with the kit.

http://pinballbulbs.com/products/world-cup-soccer-ultimate-led-lighting-kit

Here's my before and after:

100_3545.JPG100_3545.JPG

100_4029.JPG100_4029.JPG

Backbox:

100_3551-960.JPG100_3551-960.JPG

100_3976-816.JPG100_3976-816.JPG

4 weeks later
#655 10 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

I did it... I finally purchased my first pin. Ready or not I've joined this club. I mined for 5 months, at least twice a day through here, craigslist, Mr. Pinball, and because I'm in Vancouver; Kijiji, MAACA and Pinball Revolution. I was really surprised to get a great deal from a terrific seller through craigslist of all places. I would have bet on any of the others. Especially after so many fakes, etc. on craigslist.
I was originally hoping to purchase either WPT, T2 or HS2 and this really wasn't on my radar. I didn't even see the ad until someone showed it to me. Lucky for me everything worked out and I'm now the proud owner of this fun pin in great condition.
I'm looking forward to installing LED's and floods. I want it to look like this...
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-a-wcs-updated-jpop-lineup-beforeafter-lighting-pics
Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure your going to give me in the future.
Manhattan.

The pics I posted in this thread a couple pages ago used the same LED kit he put together. It was awesome! The only changes I made were to swap out a couple purple bulbs in the backbox to scale back how purple it was, and to reduce the amount of strip lighting under the backbox by covering up some of the leds. I didn't post a pic of that change but it softens the lighting a little bit while still keeping it bright and playable. pinballbulbs.com is the site for the kit. It looks like they changed the lighting at the rear to cyan instead of purple and kept the purple towards the front. It looks GREAT on my machine! I also like the spots that come with the kit.

FYI if anyone is going to the Louisville Arcade Expo in March, I will have this machine there to play.

#703 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Here's the final product, the teal strip at the back too much?

I have this strip in the back of mine. I ended up covering every other LED and it tones it down to a perfect level. I did it with black electrical tape to try it out. Going to go back and redo it with Gorilla tape to make more permanent. Try it out to see what you think.

1 week later
#729 10 years ago
Quoted from ellray:

I don't know how so many games, though, like mine, were wired for counter-clockwise spin. If the clockwise spin, and thus corner kick-out goals, was really meant to happen only during the World Cup Final (when you're madly flipping and shooting balls), you'd never get a chance to see any of the DMD bicycle kick animation.

I bet this was done as a difficulty modification for route games. Mine was supposedly a HUO and it spins clockwise normally.

#733 10 years ago

I've only made the final twice. I wish it had an auto launch! The first time I usually only had three balls in play because I wasn't ready to try to keep up. The second, my daughter was watching and she started plunging them for me. That was much more fun (but cheating of course!).

Can't wait to do it again.

Anyone coming to the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend? I'll have my game there. Anyone who doesn't have one of these needs to play it. GREAT game!

#735 10 years ago

I think it would be too easy with the auto-plunge. I think overall I like how it is! Just never remember to plunge the balls until it's crazy.

#740 10 years ago

That one was mine. Here it is. If you go with Purple, be careful with the colors. The first attempt I did was a really cool candy color that looked amazing under fluorescent lights. However, when under incandescent lighting in my basement, or even out in the sunshine, it looked pink. UGH! Had to redo it.

http://www.jeffsgames.com/2013/10/24/world-cup-soccer-pinball-improvements/

100_3684.JPG100_3684.JPG comparison.jpgcomparison.jpg
1 week later
#760 10 years ago

ebay.com link: BRAND NEW Soccer Ball 3D Deco Night Light W Cracked Sticker Battery LED

This would be a cool idea if you could tie into a flasher somehow...

soccer.jpgsoccer.jpg

#766 10 years ago
Quoted from Pacer:

Those are standard post rubbers. take your pick, marco, everywhere (cliffy if you want colors).

I got grey cliffys for mine. After that, I saw they actually made silver ones. I think I would have rather had those. I saw them at the Louisville Arcade Expo at Rob Anthony's Pinball Classics booth. Don't see them on their site though.

Quoted from Turboderf:

I have some that I made

Those are pretty sweet! What did you make them out of in case I need to do one in the future for mine?

#768 10 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

The same plastic stuff that the glare guards are made from I have had mine on my WCS for over a year now and holding up fine

So do they flex well enough to trigger the switch properly? I like the fact that they would be slightly more rigid because I bet they look better than the sagging look of the other material.

Thanks!

1 week later
#787 10 years ago

They do somewhat. It's really part of the game and unavoidable with roll-over buttons. If the ball is rolling slowly you'll get that. Hopefully it won't drain down the center. Get good at the magna-save button just in case.

I have triggered all four buttons and scored a goal all in one shot from the right flipper a few times. Kinda fun to try to do.

#790 10 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Magna save doesn't really stop SDTM drains in this game. The magnet is not strong enough. In fact the times the balls was moving too fast and I use the magna save it will sling the ball SDTM. As far as I am concerned this feature is useless on the game...

I rarely use it because it's not a natural reaction like hitting the flippers. I wish I could do it better. I've saved a couple really fast drains though, just by pulling it a little closer to the left flipper.

1 week later
#819 10 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

Just ordered the Pinballbulbs WCS 94 full kit. Looking forward to the transformation. I will post some before and after pics next week. The websites before and after photo's look amazing.
Here is the link...
http://pinballbulbs.com/products/world-cup-soccer-ultimate-led-lighting-kit

That's the kit I have in mine. I love it!

I posted a review on my site this week: http://www.jeffsgames.com/2014/04/03/wcs-led-upgrade-and-led-kit-review/

I'm planning to send over a photo to them of the final light arrangement in the backbox. I swapped out a few of their purple bulbs with cool whites to get better color definition. I also put a multi-color LED under the TV award. I liked the look of it. Got that tip on here in a post a couple years ago.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

#820 10 years ago

So I had a friend come over last night that never played WCS. Talked him through the rules over a couple games. Then he proceeds to get to the final match, and defeat Germany. In the process he beat my personal high score. I love a good challenge!

#823 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I have that kit and like what you did in the back box. I also unplugged the top led strip, just far to bright for my taste. I might try covering up every other led and see if that's a bit better.

It made a HUGE difference. You get the benefit of having the light fill in, but at a more appropriate level. I tried every third first, but then going every-other-one seemed to be the best fit.

#832 10 years ago
Quoted from kjm8888:

I was planning on selling my WCS but, now that I've shopped it out, it may just be too pretty to sell! At least for awhile. I stripped, cleaned and waxed the pf, new rubbers (including urethane Super Bands on the flippers), new balls, new soccer ball on the pf, new soccer ball plunger and my own custom LED setup using Cointaker LEDs. I guess I'm a member of the club!

Looks great! I like the three color coin flip bulbs. I'll have to think about that. Someone also had four colors of lightning inserts earlier that looked great too!

1 week later
#861 10 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

1. This little plastic is bent up on the right side. Is it supposed to be flat and where would it fit in between? There doesn't seem to be room.

2. Above the tackle area there is a little black metal strip that's all bent. It's supposed to be flat right?
3. In the same area between the long rubber bands there is a small metal post installed with a pointy top. I was
wondering if that was original or that there should be another thick plastic post there.
Thanks in advance!
P.s. any pictures would be a great help.

1. With a little work, I actually got mine to sit flat. My old one was so bent up that it ended up moving into the ball and cutting a groove like a lathe. I worked it under the ramp and I think it looks great. You can see it in this pic below. I don't have a better, direct shot.

DSCN3031.jpgDSCN3031.jpg

2. I think that black strip is custom to your machine. You have a broken plastic there, like mine had. Balls get caught above the band when the plastic is missing. The previous owners of my machine actually stretched the top rubber up there to prevent it. It's tough to find a replacement plastic for that one too. I ended up with a new set of plastics so I was finally able to fix that mess on mine!

DSCN3013.jpgDSCN3013.jpg

3. That's how mine looked.

100_3605.JPG100_3605.JPG

#864 10 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Thanks a lot Jeffsgames! Exactly what I needed to know. Guess there's not an awful lot I can do about the plastics
until I get a new set somewhere.
Would you happen to know if there is a store that has them in stock?

I don't but I thought I read they were going to get more soon. I originally thought to put a clear plastic protector there until I got plastics. You could try that.

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/WCS_Page.html

#867 10 years ago

I took my WCS to the Louisville Arcade Expo in March, and someone whooped my High Score. Been trying to beat it, and finally did tonight. Third time getting to the Final Match, second win against Germany. Great game!

wcshighscore2014-04-26.jpgwcshighscore2014-04-26.jpg

#877 9 years ago
Quoted from alchy999:

Hi guys,
Looking at painting my soccer ball. What paints would you use. Would you also varnish over the top?
Any tips how to paint to make it easier to get clean lines etc. ?
Cheers in advance David

I'd look at buying a replacement instead of painting. You'll end up having a ball that has a contact surface that's too slick. It's important to have good traction on the ball to have the right gameplay. I replaced mine and it was worth it! A good ball adds so much to the gameplay. My old ball was horribly worn and dirty and had no impact on the game.

I got mine a few months ago from Illinois Pinball. Not sure if they are around any more, but Marco also sells them if they have them back in stock.

#890 9 years ago
Quoted from JLou04:

Actually, now that I think about it, I DO have a question that you all may be able to help me out with - is it possible to adjust the coin mechanisms to take tokens, or do they need to be fully replaced with mechs specifically made for tokens?

Congrats on the purchase! That's really exciting to find your "holy grail" machine. You'll really enjoy it!

As for tokens, mechs can be adjusted to take all kinds of different sizes. There are several sites that show how to do it, but here's a video from a guy that does a lot of how-to videos:

Good Luck!

#893 9 years ago

I hope that some day after I get all the games "on my list", I can go through to convert them all to tokens and get a change machine. I think that would be so cool!

#895 9 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

Jeff, your WCS94 looks GREAT - to the point where I'm looking at tracking one down now, haha. Love the write-ups on your site regarding it!

Thanks! I appreciate that. It's a fantastic game, and honestly one of those pins that can be made so much better with a well-planned LED kit. While there are several games that I think LEDs would ruin, I love how most games really look better with them. Same reason I think Stern Star Trek wouldn't be the same without LEDs.

#902 9 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

I can't recommend the complete kit from Pinballbulbs.com enough. I was sold when I saw the before/after on their website and now I'm happy to be a spokesman after they've been installed. Looks fantastic. The only change I did was block out (black tape) every second led on the teal light strip at the top. I might even block out a few more as the teal is a very strong colour and kinda washes other colours out at the top. After I was done I couldn't believe the difference. It looked like a new game. So crisp and bright. The spots really made a huge difference as well. I really like playing in the dark and WCS is very dark on the PF above the flippers. Plus spots look so cool even when they are not on. I knew it wasn't just me when my wife actually noticed the difference. She says she can't see the difference between SD and HD on a television so it must be awesome!

I agree completely. I'd suggest getting some black Gorilla Tape to cover the LEDs on the back strip. I used regular electric tape for a while but the heat caused it to peel off. No problems after I did the Gorilla Tape.

20140416_193816-633.jpg20140416_193816-633.jpg

20140416_194029-744.jpg20140416_194029-744.jpg

20140416_194046-272.jpg20140416_194046-272.jpg

Looks better:
20140416_194758-951.jpg20140416_194758-951.jpg

I also came up with what I felt was the best bulb layout for the backbox. They now have my pic on their site to help. The default was too "purple" so I added a few cool whites to bring it down a little bit.

20140416_192435-139.jpg20140416_192435-139.jpg

20140416_195023.jpg20140416_195023.jpg

#903 9 years ago
Quoted from JLou04:

jeffsgames - Thanks for the video! It was helpful for one of the mechanisms that kept getting stuck but, unfortunately, it looks like the stock mechs are in fact quarter only.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the more research I do, the more it looks like I'll need to get either token-specific or universal mechs.

I thought all mechs could be adjusted but I could be wrong. I picked up a Pachislo a couple months ago and as complicated as those are, there were even ways to adjust them to go from token to quarters if you wanted to. I left mine tokens. I did notice that many of my Japanese tokens are steel so they are magnetic. If that's the case with yours, you'll never be able to adjust that without removing the magnet.

Here's a helpful thread on KLOV about coin mechs. Video game mechs but should be similar.
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=276254&highlight=coin+mech+tokens

#905 9 years ago
Quoted from JLou04:

Thanks, jeffsgames, I'll take a look!
As an aside, I've noticed that a lot of you have color cards with Striker on them for the rules on the left side of the apron and the price on the right hand side. Does anyone happen to have extras they'd be willing to sell or know of anyone selling originals or reproductions?
Heck, even if someone wanted to scan theirs, I'd be happy to print out color copies!

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/card/cardu.htm

#920 9 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Did you buy the flashers too? Are the LED flashers needed for the game? I noticed the kit does not include them. How many do I need if I was going to buy them?

I didn't buy any flashers either. Mine plays fine with the old flashers. Maybe some day I'll upgrade them. I just went with what the kit had.

#921 9 years ago

One more quick tip. I bought a multi-color LED at a show a couple years ago and I use it under the TV insert. It's really cool and adds quite a bit to the lighting. Gives a feeling of a TV show being shown on the screen.

Now it would be really cool to do something like the Crystal Ball in WOZ, but talk about a tough mod!

#923 9 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

When you say multicoloured, do you mean it cycles through a series of colours?

Yes. Just a simple multi-colored LED. There are now several types from most sellers, with different cycle speeds. Mine is relatively slow but I can imagine a fast changing one would be cool.

#925 9 years ago
Quoted from kjm8888:

I have one of those above the ball lock magnet. Seems to fit well with the sound effect when the magnet locks the ball!

That's a cool idea!

#927 9 years ago
Quoted from JLou04:

I installed the new spinning ball, goalie decal, magna-lock button, LEDs in the goal, and flipper rubbers last night.
Even though it didn't have a hole in the top, the ball did have a dimple underneath where I just poked through with a small drill bit. Looks great. Spins nicely, and had a LOT more grab and bounce than the original. Definitely makes the game more challenging!
I'm not crazy about the blue LEDs behind the goal. They're not very bright. I might put them in the pop bumpers instead.
The biggest annoyance was, at some point someone decided that it would be a good idea to solder the back of one of the goalie's screws to the post, so I had to break the screw off to remove the goalie. For the moment, he's being held on with zip ties. This weekend I'll pick up new screws and nuts to hold him on. Just out of curiosity - how are your goalies held to the post? With screws and nuts?

Looks great! I'll have to look at my goalie to see what holds it together. From this teardown pic I took a while ago, I think mine was held on with two bolts screwed through the goalie and leaf directly into the back plate. I don't remember any nuts there but I'll have to double check.

100_3604.JPG100_3604.JPG

1 week later
#962 9 years ago

At least recommend retro LED bulbs. I hate the heat that the incandescent bulbs generate, and won't need changed as often since the LEDs will last MUCH longer.

3 weeks later
#1006 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

This thread has quite a few great suggestions. It's a lot to sift through but worth it.
Quick thoughts: Purple under the cities. I like the multi colored scheme some people have done under the "Ultra" inserts. I like my color changing LED under Final Draw. Backglass I used greens behind the grass, blue under the map, yellow behind the trophy.

I would suggest cool white under the purple city inserts. Purple washed out the actual letters on the inserts. If I remember right the pinballbulbs.com kit used cool whites there and they looked really good. I tested a few different colors when putting in the kit, just to see what I preferred and I really liked the cool whites.

#1039 9 years ago

I was playing a really good game this weekend. Got all the cities but of course drained before I could start the final match. LOL. I'm finally getting the hang of the Travel shot. For some dumb reason that shot is the hardest for me to hit. I can even hit the right ramp more consistently. I had 7 cities flashing waiting for travel loops in that game. I finally got the shot down by backhanding it from the left flipper. I can hit it every time doing that.

1 week later
#1066 9 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

I had a WCS with the factory topper, yours is the only other i've seen with it installed. I don't think they're common.

I've never seen the topper before. Got a good pic?

#1068 9 years ago

Nice. I just thought that was the ramp decal.

I want to buy a replica WC trophy for a topper. It would be cool to install some flashers on top of the backbox like Jurassic Park, and flash the trophy.

1 week later
#1077 9 years ago

For the coin toss, you need to hit each of the drops. Once you get all three you travel to the next city. These are pretty tough to hit. I actually put new black post sleeves in and the bounce made it impossible to hit what you were trying to hit. I ended up changing them to yellow cliffy sleeves and they have a better bounce. They look better too.

The coin toss is done with every new ball launch, the launch after a lock, or at the launch to start normal multiball. It doesn't light for saved balls.

I always go for the farthest one first, then the middle, then the short.

#1088 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Saw your pictures and what a great arcade you have by the way! You have so many great titles.

Thanks! I've collected video arcade games for 20 years and I'm trying to settle into my "final" lineup. I have 5-6 project games to finish up, and I still have to find a nice Q*Bert. It's going to be my last pickup to crown the collection.

I've had a few pins just in the last 3 years. WCS is my keeper and hopefully someday I'll be able to branch out and pick up a few more. Prices are just too high for me and I have enough video projects that I'm trying to keep my focus on those. My current project is building a Fix if Felix Jr. with my daughter. She wanted to "make a game" and loves that game, so it was an easy project to take on.

In case you didn't see it, here's a video I took a while ago of my current lineup:

1 week later
#1107 9 years ago

I didn't have any issue missing bulbs. I actually had several spares in the kit. Did you follow the instructions and mark off each bulb one at a time? I'm only asking because I did my kit that way and while I had difficulty finding some of the bulbs, I did end up going through the whole kit without any issues.

One idea for the LED strip is if you decide to cover up some of the LEDs to tone it down, use black Gorilla Tape strips long enough to tape the strip to your cabinet. Kinda like railroad ties!

Hey you might want to try a set of Super Bands from Marco. They work great on this pin! They're not that pricey and they really enhance your control of the ball once you get used to them.

#1113 9 years ago
Quoted from Rbeckhorn:

I agree I just bought a kit from Pinballbulbs.com... and other than the LED strip not sticking at all the kit is pretty awesome.

I put this on the underside of the plastic glass channel. I cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol before and it stuck perfectly. Haven't had an issue with mine.

7 months later
#1572 9 years ago

Anyone going to the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend? I'm taking my WCS.

1 year later
#2312 7 years ago

Sadly I'm no longer a WCS owner. I sold my machine to a friend. I plan to get another some day soon because this is such a great game! Keep up the cool mods and customizations. I can't wait to do another one!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffsgames.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome?tu=jeffsgames and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.