(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,491 posts
  • 740 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Phoerber
  • Topic is favorited by 272 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wcs2 (resized).jpg
wcs3 (resized).jpg
wcs1 (resized).jpg
20240414_122747 (resized).jpg
IMG_8610 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6904 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6900 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5058 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexRogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7556 1 year ago

He Scores!! Just got myself a WCS94. Traded a Stern World Poker Tour for it. Thrilled to add this to the collection.

IMG_8232 (resized).JPGIMG_8232 (resized).JPG
#7561 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Congrats! nice trade

Quoted from Kevlar51:

That’s a good deal.

Quoted from Saltimbanco:

That game looks beautiful! There's so much to be said about a color display on WCS! This is one of the few games on wich such an upgrade is totally worth it (Shadow being one of those as well)!!

Quoted from Ceckitti:

You def made out on that deal!! Welcome!!

Thanks a lot. We're both happy with the trade. That's the beauty of everyone enjoying different games for different reasons.

Now my collection is very Bally Williams heavy... The Stern WPT got traded for the WCS94 and the Data East Lethal Weapon 3 got traded for the Bride of Pinbot.

IMG_8252 (resized).JPGIMG_8252 (resized).JPGIMG_8253 (resized).JPGIMG_8253 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#7564 1 year ago

Can someone tell me which bolt is the correct one to use on the front of the cabinet, near the top edge, that is part of what secures the lockdown bar receiver in place? One of mine is missing and I'm looking to replace it. These are the ones that are just a plain, black head, carriage bolt I assume, with a nut on the inside. Not unique to WCS or Bally for that matter. I don't need it to be 100% original, Home Depot would be fine. Just trying to see what the size or dimensions are for it. Thanks.

#7568 1 year ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I can check but can you post a picture of the one that is missing to make sure I know which one you are talking about?

It is right above the start button, left hand side. Looks to be one of three that hold the lockdown bar receiver in place. They also look to be the same as the ones holding the coin door assembly to the cabinet.

Missing front bolt (resized).jpgMissing front bolt (resized).jpg
#7571 1 year ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

It should generally throw the ball towards the goal… if it’s going the other way you have the motor wired backwards… mine was like that for years, lol.

Is this right? I mean, what was the ball intended to do… help or hinder? Mine spins counter clockwise and it will whip it down towards the flippers and out pretty quickly. Definitely keeps you on your toes. If it’s just a matter of swapping the two leads, that’s pretty simple.

1 week later
#7590 1 year ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

What is A-Sound and A-Music in the features menu?

A = Attract... for Attract Mode and whether the sound and or music comes on while the game is on and not being played.

#7593 1 year ago
Quoted from rob3:

I'm in the process of overhauling a World Cup for a friend and I'm having trouble getting the diverter working correctly. Is the diverter hold test supposed to hold the diverter to the left or right? Also should the plunger have a spring slid over it? The manual doesn't suggest it should be it feels like it should so it goes back into place after the hold.

Yes, plunger should have a spring to pull it back once the power to the coil is removed. There is no spring shown in the manual though. I think it was an oversight / mistake as it needs one.

The rest position should be for the diverter arm to be on the left (letting the ball go up and over to the right and around the big loop back to the right flipper). When the coil is energized, the diverter arm pivots to the right, allowing the ball to go to the left and then back down to the lock area.

There is also a nylon spacer needed on top of the plastic for that diverter arm. It basically helps keep it in position and centered. The nylon spacer gets held in place with an E-clip and washer against the plastic. I was just reading about that in this thread as my game is new to me and I was looking to see if my own diverter arm was set up correctly.

Here's a pic of my assembly underneath.

IMG_8539 (resized).JPGIMG_8539 (resized).JPG
#7600 1 year ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

1. I seem to have bought this game missing the free kick plastic below the spinning soccer ball. I have ordered a spare plastic from pinballcentre. However I also see that I am missing a screw/post that goes in the plastic. Can anyone tell me what screw/post I have to look for? Item number? See photos below.

Here's what that post looks like on my game.

IMG_8504 (resized).JPGIMG_8504 (resized).JPG

The plastic spacer is called a #8 spool, 03-8371 Here: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8371

The post is "probably" this: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4425-2

That's in the manual on the posts page 2-39. It seems like it is 02-4425-2, but I'm not 100% certain on the dimensions. Maybe someone else can confirm for us?

#7605 1 year ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

This solution seems the best to me. I hate rivets with a passion (well removing them that is).
Do you have any advice on removing these rivets in a confined space and with the Stryker plastic wires still soldered on?
Also what nut and bolt combo (size) did you go with?
If I can do this it would make replacing this plastic in the future so much easier!

I would recommend taking both these plastics out of the game entirely and then drill out those rivets carefully on your work bench. You can do this by way of the quick connector underneath the playfield for that Strkyer light bulb. It is this one I'm trying to hold out in the photo. Just those two wires as this one is dedicated for just that bulb. Disconnect it and then carefully feed the wires back up through the hole in the playfield and then lift it all out together. Make note of exactly how the wires were routed so you know how to put it back like it was. Then go at those rivets with a drill and new, sharp bit. Titanium bits are best.

IMG-8567 (resized).jpgIMG-8567 (resized).jpg
#7617 1 year ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Ok so really dumb question. I have a switch error on my right outline rollover switch. Appears as if the switch is too low so when the ball rolls over it it doesn’t hit the switch. I had to really press it down with my thumb for the microswitch to register.
What’s the quick fix to this, just “bend” it upwards? Is there a known way to do this without breaking the switch?

If you haven't already done so, pull the playfield up and out and have a look at that switch from underneath. Might be something obvious that came loose, like one of the screws holding the switch in place.

While watching underneath, use your finger to push down on the wire from above and see what it does. Where is the gap? Why isn't it engaging correctly?

If it worked previously, it might be something else than the wire isn't in the right shape. As mentioned, look at the other outlane to compare geometries. Post pictures here if you want opinions.

For bending, at the very least you need to secure the end of the wire you aren't bending so that the force you need to apply isn't twisting the base of the switch, only the wire. You can use pliers or put it in a vice or use your fingers if you like. Just use two hands... one for pushing on the end of the wire and the other for holding the opposite end of that same wire so the force doesn't snap the fragile portions. Those wires can handle being bent back and forth some, the plastic or small clip that holds the wire to the base cannot.

#7621 1 year ago

Anyone happen to know how many GI bulbs are on or under the playfield? Looking to do my entire game and need to buy the bulbs. Wasn't sure how many GI bulbs to get (of each base, wedge and bayonet).

The backbox I have done already and the manual lists all the insert lamps. Just looking to know about the GI bulbs. A location map would be great, but just the number of each would be fine too.

2 weeks later
#7659 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

How many e-clips are on this mech? Is there one on the motor cam that slide up and down?

How far back was this goal photo you’ve referenced? I don’t see it.

Got thinking of another reason why there could be interference with the top of the goal and the top of the goalie’s head, and that would be if the back of the goal assembly and bracket isn’t secured down all the way. If the back was sticking up a little too far it would point the front down a little too far and cause interference. Possibly. Just a thought.

1 week later
#7700 1 year ago

My WCS has that sticker also... and oddly enough, my Theatre of Magic has a very similar sticker. Same designer and similar era.

IMG_8417 (resized).JPGIMG_8417 (resized).JPGIMG_8686 (resized).JPGIMG_8686 (resized).JPG
#7708 1 year ago

I have cool white frosted dome bulbs in those three spots on the backboard. I thought they were too bright like that and so I put over them some of the old school rubber domes. Red, yellow and green. I suppose you could do the order of those bulb colours to match certain country flag colours if you wanted to. That might be a cool way to show off who your allegiance is to. Like earlier mentioned about using red, white and blue. Or red, white, red for Canadians

#7711 1 year ago

Question about the roll over targets on WCS... I had one of mine pop out and I'm not sure what it is that keeps them in normally.

I think I must have bumped it when wiping the playfield and then when I had it raised it got a little off centre and stuck up slightly. I guess I hit it with the ball during play and it got into the goal net, then into the Striker VUK and then launched up and nestled behind the pop bumpers before I realized what was going on and shut the game off.

It fits back into the hole fine and the game still plays like it did. The other three targets all feel snug though but this fourth one does not. I see there is a slight ridge on the stem of the target and I assume it is meant to clip down under the lip of the target mount piece under the playfield. It seems like maybe the hole in my target in that spot might have gotten enlarged over time and so it's now too big to grab that ridge of the target stem and keep it there.

Is this a thing? Where over time those holes can get bigger? And big enough to now be sloppy and let the target come out when it shouldn't?

Can you buy these roll over targets to replace originals? Either the entire assembly or just the individual components?

Thanks.

#7715 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I have a couple of rollovers like that. They actually change the trajectory of the ball. I kind of like the randomness except when it sends the ball SDTM.

Right on. All four of mine when they are sitting at rest are high enough above the surface of the playfield to cause the ball to slightly change course. Only when the ball is going slow though. No change when you hit from the flippers to the goal.

What’s the correct amount of target to be above the edge of the playfield? Don’t they have to be at least a tiny bit higher so that the ball rolls over them and pushes down to trigger the switch? Or are they mean to be perfectly flat with the playfield and then when the ball’s weight is over the target briefly, they are so perfectly adjusted that this slight movement down triggers the switch?

I see how you could adjust the rest height of the switch using the spring tab piece of the leaf switch and then that is set to be very close to the actual contact tab which also has its own spring tab under it to push it back up after getting pushed down.

Anyone got zoomed in photos of their switches? Above and below the playfield?

#7718 1 year ago
Quoted from Andypc:

My World Cup Soccer was originally refurbished in 2018. At the time of the original restoration there were no new playfields available and that was the only thing slightly letting this machine down, Roll forward a few years and CPR have released their World Cup Soccer Playfield and Starship Fantasy have done a complete ramp set, so it was time to give my machine some upgrades. Adam from AJ Pinball has again done an absolutely amazing job on the playfield swap
Original Refurb in 2018
[quoted image]
So this time round it's had.
New CPR Playfield
New Starship Fantasy Ramps
Titan Rubbers
Mirror Blades
NOS Original Translite
Stumblor's amazing Lollypop's for the Pop Bumpers
A special mention to Stumblor's Lollypop's as they look absolutely amazing on this machine.

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! That's nuts! Looks incredible. And the brand new looking, shiny saucer brackets. Amazing attention to detail.

Is this the same guy that did the restoration of a Terminator 2 not long ago? I remember seeing a YouTube video on it and a thread in some other forum.

#7724 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I got this WCS in a trade a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that it has a red "Travel" insert and a yellow "Jackpot" insert. I 've noticed that all of the games I've seen have them the opposite way. Does that mean anything? I doubt this is a prototype game. Maybe the person putting in the inserts that day got them backwards?[quoted image]

Don't know what it means, but that Jackpot one being yellow I'd imagine is easier to see / notice when it's lit. The regular red one in that spot I find blends in too closely to the other red / amber lights nearby (rollover button and extra ball).

#7737 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

As am a bit low in budget i went for a pin2dmd for my world cup and Judge Dredd , it's very good and have good colorization for this pinball.
But for my Indy, Totan , STNG and LOTR i went for a LED Color DMD, and i put them in XL DOT mode, it's amazing! Looks really good!
( maybe in one year or two i will upgrade them for led color dmd too )

Where can an LED ColorDMD be bought nowadays? No one seems to have any stock. I'm also looking to get a colour display for my Theatre of Magic.

#7739 1 year ago

Nice timing. Recently too I think as I could have sworn I checked there not long ago and they had none.

I see the differences in the sizes from the regular one to the jumbo (Baywatch) and slim (Checkpoint), although I'm not sure what the difference is between what is called LED and LCD? I have a PIN2DMD display in one of my games, but don't want another one of those.

#7740 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Nice timing. Recently too I think as I could have sworn I checked there not long ago and they had none.
I see the differences in the sizes from the regular one to the jumbo (Baywatch) and slim (Checkpoint), although I'm not sure what the difference is between what is called LED and LCD? I have a PIN2DMD display in one of my games, but don't want another one of those.

Answered my own question.

https://www.colordmd.com/lcdvsled.html

2 weeks later
#7752 1 year ago

That piece goes beside the soccer ball, attached to the left edge of the ramp. I think it acts as a protector in case the ball ever got close enough to rub right on the plastic, or an errant pinball found it’s way in there.

4DCC73C3-0D27-47F4-8035-785DC5EC21D8 (resized).jpeg4DCC73C3-0D27-47F4-8035-785DC5EC21D8 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7756 1 year ago
Quoted from ArnoBosvelt:

Hello,
I have a question about my World Cup Soccer 94 Pinball machine. I have renewed all sleeves and the soccer ball. Since that moment, when the ball hit the soccer ball, the soccer ball is faltering (hope it’s the good word) and the motor is decreasing in rates / speed… When I install the old soccer ball again the problem has gone… The old soccer ball is spinning in a constant speed. Does anyone recognizing this? Hope you understand my problem with it…
Greets,
Arno

Any chance the new soccer ball is slightly larger than the original and it is rubbing on something? Like the ramp to the right?

If you have them both removed, you could compare the two against each other to see if there is some kind of difference.

#7759 1 year ago
Quoted from ArnoBosvelt:

Thanks for your reply. The new soccerball is spinning well, when starting the game… Everything is working fine then. The problem starts when the ball hits the soccerball… The soccerball is slowing down in speed and starting to speed up when the ball is away from the soccerball… Everytime when you hit the soccer ball this happens… Can it be the material of the soccerball that this happen?

Is there anything underneath, with the motor, that looks to be loose? Perhaps when the ball hits it, it's taking some of the momentum out of the motor spinning and takes a moment to catch back up? Check the electrical connections too, at the motor where they are soldered on as well as the connector that plugs into the board.

1 week later
#7776 1 year ago

WCS is a good example of a game you can really enjoy without loving the real life version. Soccer is very far down on my list of things to watch or follow yet I like the pinball machine a lot.

#7807 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Anyone have a problem with the VUK kicking the ball up so hard it flys off the wireform SDTM?

No, but it sounds like it has to be an alignment or interference issue. Some more detail on how it comes up, what it may or may not be coming into contact with that it shouldn't be, and where it eventually comes off the wireform would be helpful in order to help you figure it out.

1 week later
#7831 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s still not an A title, it’s just gone way up in value like the rest of the 90s dmds.

What's the A title list at nowadays? ipdb top 10?

1 week later
#7841 1 year ago

If you are getting a WCS, I would recommend going over all of the plastics and making note of any that are already cracked. Hopefully not many. The game is murderous on plastics because of how much the spinning soccer ball whips the pinball around at times. Definitely recommend you take a close look at how tight the nuts on top of the plastics are (i.e. don't have them so tight, you want there to be a small amount of room to move if/when the ball whacks them). If they don't already have the clear, plastic washers under the key areas, get some and put them in BEFORE they start breaking. One of the first ones to go will be the little leg that extends down from the left ramp base and it covers the "hard tackle" switch. This spot gets clobbered all the time from errant balls coming off the soccer ball.

2 weeks later
#7869 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

I have added decals to the game from Pinball Pimp and Mr Tantrum and it looks great.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That does look good! I like the purple effect for the kick-out holes. Did you change the plastic out underneath each of those to something other than red? Or is it just a purple bulb doing that?

#7872 1 year ago

Nice! Thanks for the link. I did not realize they were meant to be violet. And it says so right in the manual, lol. D'oh!

#7880 1 year ago

My game came to me with similar lighting mods. The star posts for the slingshots and the ring lights in the pop bumpers. I did have a trough LED strip mounted, but I removed it as I didn't like the way it glared off the DMD.

It's definitely a great game with a unique combo of colours not seen in many other titles (teal and violet primarily).

It's hard to photograph well and do it justice... like every other pinball machine as we all know!

IMG_8547 (resized).JPGIMG_8547 (resized).JPGIMG_8992 (resized).JPGIMG_8992 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#7892 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

If you have new flipper plunger and links, please make note of the length.
Williams plunger and links are slightly shorter than what Stern put out.
Marco was selling Stern plunger and link assemblies as compatible to Williams
but they are not.
With Stern flipper links the Williams flippers would not have the pitch to stop the ball/balls.

Could someone share the dimensions or photos of these? I'd like to see how those compare to the ones in my own games.

#7895 1 year ago

Could someone enlighten me as to where this plastic goes?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1925A-3

It's a clear piece and meant as a protector presumably. The arc is basically exactly the shape as the spinning soccer ball. I just can't figure out where or how it goes in the game.

#7897 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

No where, basically.

Like gets included in the set, but doesn't actually get used anywhere?

Nice, lol. There's one just like that for Funhouse.

1 week later
#7906 1 year ago
Quoted from duggum:

Hey there,
I've decided to buy a second pinball machine (like potato chips it seems that you can't stop at just one!), and WCS is on my short list. I live in the Pacific Northwest though, and it seems that if I'm going to buy any of the machines on my list I'm going to have to be prepared to do some serious driving.
I'd rather not drive 500 miles to come home empty handed, so I'm trying to come up with a list of all of the most common WCS-specific issues, so that I can get a decent sense of the machine's condition before I make the trip. This thread is an AWESOME resource, I've read through a bunch of the messages here and I'm hoping you all can take a look at the list I've made and tell me if you think I'm missing anything obvious/important, or if I've got everything covered. Here's what I've got so far:
1 - Goalie motor works, goalie is able to move fully from left to right and back, moves when goal is lit
2 - Ramps not broken/cracked
3 - Assist ejects the ball cleanly toward goal, and powerful enough to consistently score a goal
4 - Left ramp diverter functions properly
5 - Plastics not broken, cracked
6 - Travel gate (lock gate in upper right part of playfield) working, diverts to pop bumpers unless travel is lit.
7 - Ball motor works (clockwise when game starts/goal lit, counterclockwise during Final Match )
8 - Check Condition of GI connectors (J120 and J121, right)
9 - Plunger can reach 3rd "coin toss" all coin toss
10 - TV Award scoop ejects ball cleanly and consistently to a flipper (which?)
11 - Lock magnet works
12 - Save magnet works
13 - "Extra ball" button works
14 - Check wear around the scoops/holes
How does that list look to you? Is there anything else I should look out for?
Oh, and if you do have a WCS you're willing to part with that's in good shape and you're in the PacNW or Northern California feel free to let me know!
Thanks!

That's a great list. And most everything on it would be reasonably straight forward to fix or correct if you found it less than satisfactory.

I feel like with how much money all of us are spending on these games, a seller can be expected to give you ample information to make a good decision. And if you're coming from a ways away, then they can do some additional testing or provide photos or videos to make sure no one is wasting their time.

With that in mind, and if in your position, I would ask the seller for a short gameplay video. You should be able to see things like the goalie moving side to side and the soccer ball spinning. You can ask them to go into the settings menu and put the game on "All Lamps" test and then pan the camera around to show that all bulbs are working (or reveal which ones are not).

WCS is a game that seems prone to plastics breaking. Chalk that up to the soccer ball whipping the pinball around and smacking into things it isn't always intended to hit. Plastic sets can be purchased as can ramps, but good to know whether you are starting with ones in pristine condition or whether they are already cracked and chipped.

Ramp set here at $387 USD for reference: https://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/World-Cup-Soccer-2-ramp-set

If the soccer ball spins opposite to what it is meant to, then desoldering the two wires and reconnecting to the opposite lugs it was initially on is all that it will take to make it right. Easy fix if the ball is already spinning. If it doesn't spin at all then that's something else.

Of your list, my money is on playfield condition for what matters most. As you pointed out, check those saucers and scoop for damage. It's common on WCS for those to get worn down. Super thin stainless steel protector sets can be bought and installed to ensure any wear present doesn't get any worse. It is a ton of work to take enough of the topside of the game off to get the access needed to install them properly, but it is doable. Protector sets are around $50.

Check also for the usual playfield wear you might see on any game. Inserts that have been raised or lowered slightly get rubbed with the ball and over time will wear away the art work and wood. Check for anything else on the playfield like gashes or scratches. Playfield damage is, in my opinion, one of the harder things to work on and repair. Replacing mechanisms or rebuilding flippers I find is all pretty easy compared to playfield repairs.

I would also add to your list to check closely the condition of the circuit boards in the backbox. Check the main CPU one for any signs of battery damage (leaking batteries that is). Are there batteries still on it or has it been changed over to the NVRAM piece that eliminates the need for batteries? You can see if the boards are the originals or not by looking closely at the serial number stickers that came on them on day one. Having the original board set is not as big of an issue like it might be with buying an old car with "matching numbers" but at least check to see there aren't hacked up areas or brown and burnt looking connectors. Your check of the GI strings alluded to that.

Check also the cabinet for any water damage or similar. If it got soaked, you might see that on the bottom or the back. Good to at least know and easy enough to spot previous damage like that.

Translites can get scratched up and then you'll be able to see through those scratches when it is all lit up. A photo from behind the translite will do pretty well in telling you what condition it is in.

The divertor arm can be out of adjustment and often is simply because some sort of centering flange or part is now missing. Or the little connector and spring at the bottom of that rod where it meets the coil plunger isn't correct. Easy enough to fix, but definitely nice knowing it's good on day one.

Similar with the coin toss plunge. If it doesn't make it all the way through, it's likely just the wrong strength spring. Super easy to correct if you get it open and see it's not correct.

That's all that comes to mind. Post pics when you find one you are considering and we can help you look it over.

1 week later
#7913 1 year ago
Quoted from Runswithscissors:

Hi, I borrowed a WCS from a friend and I ran into a problem today that I haven’t found described here on pinside and I thought I would ask if any of you have seen it before and if you have a solution.
I finished a game and the goalie as well as the soccer ball continued to move. I thought maybe it was an attraction mode I hadn’t seen before, so I let it go for a few minutes while I played another machine. They never stopped, so I turned the machine off and back on again to reset it. Now, neither of them work. I can’t get either one to start in test mode. I checked under the playfield and didn’t find anything obvious. The led on the driver board for the spinning ball is on, so it has power.
I ran out of time and I’ll dig into the manual tomorrow. In the meantime, I was hoping that one of you could shortcut the research for me and help me out.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

That doesn’t sound like an attract mode feature to me. Things stuck on like that tend to be transistors on the power driver board that got fried and are stuck on. I don’t have the manual in front of me either right now but I would think you need to do some continuity testing and see what board component has failed.

#7915 1 year ago

What's the recommended type of grease or lubricating oil to use on mechanical linkages like the saucer eject arms? Mine aren't rotating very smoothly and I thought I would remove them, clean them up and then apply a little lubricant before reinstalling them. Just wondering what we're supposed to use (or not use). Thanks.

3 weeks later
#7922 1 year ago

Having the seller comment here in the forum pretty much rules out about 99% of the uncertainty with the game.

Great title for sure. And as a first pin? Yea, super choice. Fun for a huge variety. And you don’t need to be a big fan of soccer in real life. I’ll just put that out there now.

#7926 1 year ago

The metal bracket goes on the left edge of the right ramp, to stay between the plastic of the ramp and the spinning edge of the soccer ball.

The plastic goes on the lower right pop bumper cap, with the pointy end going up to be over the upper right pop bumper.

IMG_9828 (resized).JPGIMG_9828 (resized).JPG
#7935 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I finally joined the club this past week. I have found 3 issues in my game that I would love some input on:
1. Is there an easy way to tighten the right flipper? The ball trough is too close to fit a ratchet.
2. My lower left GI (including coin door) is out. I tried new bulbs and reseating connectors. Where should I go next?
3. There is a hole under the extra ball button that I would like to fill and cover. Is there anywhere to buy a "COIN TOSS" decal?

I use an open ended wrench for tightening my flipper linkages. 3/8" and one with a long enough handle that you can get a good firm grip. No fun having your hand fly off and crash/slice into nearby sharp metal things.

You have the playfield fully raised when you're doing this, right?

Do you have a modern set of flipper linkages? Rebuild kits nowadays have the ends in them that are meant for a wrench. Old ones or other barnds needed a particular six-sided bit on the end of a socket to tighten or loosen. Comeplete PITA those ones.

For figuring out your GI string that is out, I would test for power going back to the connector on the boards if needed. Find out where it is last present. I would imagine it is still coming out of the board and the problem is the connector and/or the pins and whether they are making good contact.

My game has the same hole in coin toss, lol. Yea, it's ugly. I put a washer and bolt over it for the time being.

IMG_8531 (resized).JPGIMG_8531 (resized).JPGIMG_8541 (resized).JPGIMG_8541 (resized).JPG
#7966 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Ahh, I see, thank you for that. This isn't the easiest game to take apart!

Holy cow, you ain't kidding! Just had mine all apart to do rings and post sleeves and put hole protectors in. All back together now and added a colour display. Love this game!

IMG_9735 (resized).JPGIMG_9735 (resized).JPGIMG_9743 (resized).JPGIMG_9743 (resized).JPGIMG_9744 (resized).JPGIMG_9744 (resized).JPGIMG_9746 (resized).JPGIMG_9746 (resized).JPG
#7973 1 year ago

Does pressing the start button make any sounds? Maybe it got flipped back over to coins and not free play. Give yourself a few credits by pressing the coin switches and see if it lets you start a game.

#7984 1 year ago

Curious if the game designers did intend on the assist shot to be forceful enough to hit the back of the goal hard like that? Certainly not just dribbling over the line, but not sure it is ever going to bang the back of the goal either. Would be interested in knowing how other games play and what the norm is? Maybe the norm now isn't what the norm used to be? I found my game was pretty filthy right where that linkage rotates. The bracket mounted to the underside of the playfield that is. I think over time someone had used a lube or grease of some kind and it attracted the metal dust and whatnot and got grimy. I cleaned it all off and it worked better on my game after that. Still no slamming the ball home, but it scores reliably when I hit it as well as when the game does it for you during multiball.

1 week later
#8037 1 year ago

What are the differences in protectors that make some come up off the playfield and others stay flat? I assume you’re talking about the front edges that need to be stuck down with the adhesive backing? I find these types don’t stay down on any of the games I’ve installed them on either.

#8045 1 year ago

If your saucer hole protector leading edges are coming up a little, you can use a piece of Mylar to keep them down. Try a portion of a pop bumper disc as the radius is a pretty good starting point to match the saucer hole and protector. You don't need to use the entire 360 degrees worth. Just enough to stick to the protector and the playfield. Use it like a piece of Scotch tape on a cheap birthday card from the dollar store when the flap won't stay down, lol.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFC

4 weeks later
#8098 11 months ago
Quoted from Seelan:

So, I've joined the club 3 weeks ago, but was busy reading 162 pages of this thread, so I don't ask stupid or repeated questions. Took a lot of ideas from here (speaker stencils!) and have some extra ideas that I will share with you as soon as I'm done.
This weekend I installed a playfield protector, and since it's so shiny it gives a "new pin" look. The playfield was really in good condition, some minor markings but all inserts are fine. I've changed the ball and motor. added some LEDs to replace the 100s of bulbs and that already gave new life to the pin.
Since I'm in Switzerland some of the options you have for purchasing LEDs and parts are not really feasible for me. The shipping cost kills the fun of any possible purchase. I bought a LOT of LEDs from Aliexpress, some are shitty but others are really good. I will share my experiences here.
Now my question is the following: I had to remove the flippers to install the protector and don't know exactly how they need to be aligned at rest. I saw some markings on the playfield. Are they supposed to be below the flippers, centered? Does someone have pictures of their alignment on hand?
Thanks! I will post pictures soon.

Yes, those alignment holes in the playfield at the flippers are meant for that. One method I have seen others mention is using a small peg or post or toothpick even to insert into the hole and then let the flipper come down to rest on the alignment peg. So those holes are below the flipper. And do this with the flipper rubber installed. Remove the peg when you're finished.

If you just use them visually, I tend to align things so that when you look straight down on them from above, you can see only the hole and not any small bit of playfield between the hole and the back of the flipper. That's the idea anyway.

You can also adjust them more to how you like them and how the shots feel on your game. Flatter at rest lets you hit outside shots easier and more upright at rest lets you hit inside shots more easily. If you adjust them far enough upright, you'll start to be able to hit ramps with a backhand from the flipper on the same side as the ramp (or orbit). I don't care for games set up like this. I don't think it's how the designer intended it to be.

You can also look to keep the flippers in a straight line with the inlane guides. And you can obviously adjust both flippers individually, so getting them both at rest and while flipped to the same height is a consideration. One thing that will definitely affect that is having the correct parts on both sides, including the rubber grommet in the backend of the flipper bracket. This grommet is what will dictate how many degrees rotation that flipper has. So lower at rest also menas lower flipped up, so how well you can cradle the ball is affected.

#8103 11 months ago
Quoted from duggum:

A couple of questions about this, since I foresee a time when I'll be doing this too:
1) I've always assumed the playfield has to be upright in order to get at the underside to loosen/tighten the flippers. How does the flipper "rest" on the toothpick/whatever when gravity pulls it in the other direction? Are you doing this through the coin door or something?
2) Somewhere I read that you align the flippers before the rubber is put on, not after (it's in some notes I took a while ago). Is that not how most people do it?
Thanks!

1.) Good point. You definitely are doing this with the playfield up and not through the coin door. I rarely have a helper so it's just me and one pair of hands to hold or adjust things. What I normally do is get everything replaced (coil sleeve, coil stop, linkage and plunger, etc.) with the playfield up and resting all the way back (against the backbox). I then slip the flipper bat back in and tighten it just enough so it stays, but you can still rotate it with your hand. I put the playfield back down and move the flipper to where it needs to be. Once I'm happy with that, I tighten it further from underneath. If it isn't where I want it, I loosen, adjust and retighten. Once you get the flipper even slightly tightened, you take out the gravity effect.

2.) I tighten with the rubber on, but I suppose you could do it with the rubber off. That would mean your flippers would lie flatter at rest by a small amount. Then you put the rubber on and see how it is. If you think they are too low, then redo them. It is more of a feel adjustment to how you like to play as far as I'm concerned. The alignment dots are there as a guide or starting point. Sure, they can be thought of as a specific, exact place for the flippers to be, but the reality is that pinball machines are all going to vary in how they are set-up or how they play. They are very predictable in some ways and completely unpredictable in others. If you are a golfer, it's more like how the ball lies out on the course than how you set it down perfectly on a flat spot on the driving range. Same goes for the odd saucer reject or ball coming back around an orbit. It's consistent "most" of the time just not all of the time.

#8111 11 months ago
Quoted from Seelan:

I've installed 6v LED strips. but there is a very noticeable flicker on the light, so much that is annoying.
Is the GI current AC? How do I correct the issue? I saw that comet sells the strip with some kind of rectifier.
Another thing. The right flipper sometimes stays up. It is mechanic because when I move it by hand I can feel resistance at the end of the movement. I've tried swapping the coil sleeve but it made it worse. Is it the coil stop?
Thanks everyone for the answers!

Time for a flipper rebuild kit. Linkage, plunger, coil sleeve and coil stop. It's probably getting magnetically stuck at the coil stop.

#8117 11 months ago
Quoted from Bluebeard:

Thanks, the purple piece is broken off from mine, thanks for the picture. Now I know what I need.

Your ramp has a chunk missing from it too. Front right. There is a metal ramp protector that often would be there to try and prevent the plastic corner of the ramp from getting whacked.

1 week later
#8130 11 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

Anyone have this plastic for sale?
[quoted image]

Ministry of Pinball in the UK shows that part as in stock.

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/world-cup-soccer-94-plastic-31-1925-37-sp.html

1 month later
#8158 9 months ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Honestly I feel like less grippy is better. Too much grip sends the ball smashing too wildly into stuff. If I can get through 100 plays without blowing up that bottom pop bumper I will be surprised Also the spin it puts on the ball causes some interesting flipper behavior!

I have a grippy ball on my game too. And it for sure whips the pinball around pretty crazy at times. And it puts English on the ball big time, lol. Not always, but sometimes I swear the pinball is still spinning weirdly when it comes to rest in the assist saucer after getting shot over there by the soccer ball. And then when it ejects, it comes out at very weird angles. Swear that grippy soccer balls makes the game play like it has Gremlins inside it.

1 month later
#8245 8 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Hey guys, got most of my pin restored, converted to LEDs and repaired. I have one final issue I'm trying to track down. The Final Draw insert light does not light. It did this with the old bulb, but I swapped it for a new LED and same issue. The bulb in front of it by the scoop on the same board works. I don't believe its the bulb itself.
This is an insert light, in the black carrier. I'm beginning to think its either the contacts on the board, or maybe a fuse/wiring issue. I've read through the lamp matrix and I see that Final Draw is #72 on cross section 7 (Yellow-Violet J137-7 Q92) and 2 (Red-Black J133-23 Q89). I'm not sure where to take it from here or check. Am I looking for a fuse? Checking wiring? Where abouts on the boards would I look to validate continuity etc?
Appreciate the help
*note: Unless someone has another idea in general why the Final Draw bulb doesn't light?

First thing I would do is measure the voltage at the holder. Put the game into ALL LAMPS via the test menu. Then lift the playfield up and remove the black plastic bulb holder. Carefully measure the DC voltage across the two sides of the hole in that little lamp circuit board. If you don't get any there, move back slightly and test the voltage on the two pins on the circuit board. If nothing there, disconnect the connector and measure it on the ends of that connector. Start there and report back what you find.

1 month later
#8287 6 months ago
Quoted from Buynsell:

Does anyone know the amount and type of bulb I need to replace all the GI’s? I bought a kit and it came with soft or warm white and I want to swap them out with cool white. Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Looking back at my notes, there are 30 playfield GI bulbs, 36 backbox GI bulbs and 3 bulbs in the backboard. As mentioned, all are wedge base 555's. I went with cool (natural) white everywhere with the exception of the ramp signs and the backboard bulbs. I was in the habit of colour matching my inserts and then switched to using cool white under those as well as I felt like it brought out truer colours that way. My game also has lit star posts on the slingshots, which came to me that way. Those star posts were clear and I changed them back to teal and between that and the proper teal pop bumper caps, I think the light coming through looks terrific.

IMG_1638 (resized).JPGIMG_1638 (resized).JPGIMG_1640 (resized).JPGIMG_1640 (resized).JPGIMG_1641 (resized).JPGIMG_1641 (resized).JPGIMG_1643 (resized).JPGIMG_1643 (resized).JPGIMG_1644 (resized).JPGIMG_1644 (resized).JPGIMG_1650 (resized).JPGIMG_1650 (resized).JPG
#8293 6 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

in addition to making sure the interlock switch is activated, also make sure none of the wires have come loose from the back of the interlock switch.

Actually, to build on this, could one of you post a photo showing the various wiring connections on the back of those switches? There are two right? One for the power interlock and one for the memory or something like that. I think mine are a little backwards because I have a Theatre of Magic right beside it and that little yellow tool you use to keep the plunger in while working seems to work fine on my ToM but it doesn’t on WCS. Like the switches are reversed somehow. Thanks.

1 month later
#8341 5 months ago
Quoted from FlippaHerrrnt:

Does anyone know how to light the special on the right out lane? Or the best way to hit the kickback target?

SPECIAL:

Advancing to Rank #1 (in multiball) lights the special. Special awards a credit, or 100 million points when a credit is not available.

1 week later
#8346 5 months ago

Could be from the back of the goalie. That front goalie plastic is held on with two screws going through the plastic and through the leaf switches. With a nut on the far end of each of those screws. That might be one of those.

#8347 5 months ago

On our WCS's... the "Final Match Goal Champ" record that will display during attract mode... is that an accumulating total? I mean during one great game, if you get to the Final Match more than once, is it supposed to keep a tally of all your goals and not just the highest number of goals from a single Final Match?

I had one heckuva game earlier today and got to the Final Match twice. I won it the first time with 7 goals, but then lost it the second time scoring only 4 goals and yet I noticed it changed the Final Match Goal Champ to 11 goals.

I had not realized it worked that way. Same for the rest of you? Does it matter what revision of the code you're on?

1 week later
#8351 4 months ago

I've had all of the gameolay settings set to default, like free Striker, TV Scoop lit, kickback and magnagoalie lit too. Seems like it's kind of cheating... i turned off the tv scoop and striker hideout but left corner kick and magna lit. What do you all do? Is there a "competition standard" i should strive for, or is it really just whatever?

For me, it seems like any game I own becomes too easy over time. Chalk that up to getting it all working correctly and dialed in, knowing all the rules and then putting a lot of hours on it. Sure, I consider myself a fairly good player, but any game you play enough that's set-up well is going to feel too easy eventually.

I have been putting my games on EXTRA HARD in the preset settings. It's part of the Utility menu. It will change most of those settings so that timers are shorter and things you have to earn have no memory from ball to ball, so you have to start over after you drain.

Most games have outlane posts that you can move between three positions, easy, medium and hard. It will basically change the size of the outlane gap for the ball to drain. Those aren't that applicable on WCS, IIRC. You can also adjust the plumb bob tilt thing so it tilts quicker with less movement.

What I don't think is right is where people remove rubber rings on posts to make the game play harder. That's not how I feel the designers meant for things to be changed. It's just mean when I see it like that, lol.

There are tournament modes on the games though and usually that makes sure any random awards are not really random anymore and they get awarded in the same order so it is fair to all players. You can also turn off extra balls in the game menu and that is usually done for tournaments.

3 weeks later
#8382 4 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Is there a list of how many LEDs are in the GI on WCS?
I've been searching the thread and had no luck. I'm trying to get a rough idea of cost if I led the game. I can see how many insert leds there are via the manual but not GI.

I believe the playfield GI is around 30 bulbs. Most if not all are round base. 31 wedge base bulbs in the backbox and 3 wedge base bulbs on the backboard, just above the playfield. 3 more wedge base bulbs for the pop bumpers, coin door bulbs for the coin slots (usually 2), one for each of the start and add-a-ball buttons. Plus all the insert ones shown in the manual.

#8385 4 months ago

Those bulbs on top of the ramps should come on in the all lamps test. They are regular bulbs not flashers. Check that the tabs inside the sockets are making good contact with the little wires on the bulbs. You can use a screw driver to pinch those socket tabs closer together or use your fingernail to fan out the bulb wires a little bit. Pretty common issue with LEDs not always making good contact when first installed.

3 weeks later
#8401 3 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I've been having a few calls hangups when shooting the orbit. The ball can end up sitting to the left of the top lanes behind the goal.
Takes a huge nudge to get it out...
Is this common or is something likely awry?

Not common on my game. Would think something is awry. Maybe look to see if there’s a little piece of plastic that broke off and is loose and sitting up there.

3 weeks later
#8429 76 days ago

Confirm that your new replacement battery wasn't already (almost) dead to begin with.

#8432 75 days ago

I have a new issue and need some suggestions. A few weeks ago i put some new flipper rubbers on and cleaned the field and ramps with some novus 1. Now, when i hit the left ramp REALLY well, sometimes the ball goes up the ramp and knocks out one of the LED lights that are exposed above the back upper ramp.
I've had the game for about 6 months and I thought it was pretty much dialed in, but this is so annoying I'm just leaving the lights out for now. It never happened before i put new titans on the flippers, so maybe there is something else i need to tweak now? (playfield is at 6.5 degrees, if that matters...)
I have the clear plastic cover that goes over the lower ramp. I feel like the issue might be the diverter, but i can't figure it out. Has anyone else experienced this?

Pictures would help.

1 month later
#8472 29 days ago

I'm removing the Cliffy saucer hole protectors on my game because they just won't lay flat and wondered what the best thing is to use to get the rest of the adhesive off the playfield around those holes?

1 week later
#8479 20 days ago

It's a lot of things to remove, but as mentioned, it's straight forward enough. I also try and be pretty specific in keeping nuts and washers and spacers together with exactly the piece it came from. Sometimes even altering how a single washer might have been under a plastic instead of over it can affect the ball and cause hangups.

Go slow and be patient. Never force anything. If you have to really put some oomph behind getting something out, then you are probably not realizing another clip or fastener still needs to be removed. There is an order to things, but you don't really have to have it all listed and understood in advance. Just look, loosen and wiggle until you know you have the next piece free and ready to come out.

Pay attention to which sections have their own mini wiring harnesses as those will need to be disconnected underneath the playfield to allow you to pull them out. Make note of which hole those wires feed down into and how they are routed. You'll need to reverse things and put it back in the way it came out when you're ready. You will not need to desolder anything to get it out. Those wires and lights and switches were all given those quick connects for this reason. About the only exception I can think of is if you are doing pop bumper rebuilds, those wires that go to the bulbs in the middle have to be cut or desoldered. No quick connects with those unfortunately.

Some notes about WCS specifically, you'll need to remove the diverter arm from that top left position as it protrudes through each layer of plastic ramp. It wil just pull out from above (get that round plastic in the corner out of the way and also you probably need to move the clear plastic on the left ramp as it covers the tip of the diverter arm)... it will pull out from above only after you disconnect it at the coil underneath. Pay special attention to how that little linkage piece is oriented as well as the small spring and put it back in the same way. It can be clumsy getting it right, so try a few times if you have to. There is usually a tiny hex head stud thingy in that linkage that pinches the flat side of the diverter arm stem and holds it in place. Loosen that first to pull the arm out and it will all come apart. Put it back together in reverse of what you just did.

This isn't the easiest game to remove all the ramps, so if you get flustered, stop, post pics or questions and take a break while people give you suggestions. Along the lines of putting washers and nuts back on the posts they came from, I like to use the dining room table to literally place all items I take off the game in exactly the same spot as they were in the game. Then you don't lose track of anything. But you have to make sure you don't need the dining room table while you're working!! Can't rush this kind of thing. So find the space to work and allow yourself to not need to get it all done in one go. Last thing you want to do is have to rush and either throw it all loose into a box or break something trying to hurry. Good luck!

2 weeks later
#8488 4 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I thinks that's standard - the goal shot shouldn't be completely unreachable when the goalie is still. Every WCS I've played was like this.

Agreed. And if you shoot the ball into the goal to start the game while it is lit, then shoot it into the goal again when it is unlit, it awards you a Striker hole award. At least the default settings do this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 159.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexRogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome?tu=AlexRogan84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.