I wanted to offer some information on a potential solution to something that had been bugging me. Some may scoff at over complicating something that needn't be, but I thought it might help someone.
Led's, in my opinion, are beautiful in this game. I used warm white everywhere. No color matching at all, with the exception of bulbs that are in the ramp boards, the coin toss, and the backboard between the field lights and the striker sign, and anywhere else the bulbs were "naked". You could make an argument for cool white, and I think that would look great, especially with the heavy teal colors throughout the game.
The issue for me is, and always has been, when Led-ing any game, is that the current "yellows" from all Led resellers that I have found, are not yellow. They are orange. I had three options.
1.) Keep these particular bulbs incandescent, and use the yellow condoms. This is probably the one that makes the most sense honestly. The issue is my condoms were torn (insert joke here). I didn't want to buy new ones and wait for them. Plus, I am led-ing this to get rid of the old school bulbs.
2.) Led these spots in "yellow" bulbs and live with the fact that they should be called Tang Orange. Never cared for the stuff, and maybe that is part of my problem.
3.) Led these bulbs in your weapon of choice, then awkwardly try to use the condom to cover them. This isn't a great solution as the condoms are not made to fit over the base of the current sized Led's. It ends up looking like a wind sock, and unless you can manipulate them perfectly, it bugs me.
4.) Do the following.
I took 10 (actually a lot more during my trial runs) warm white, frosted, non ghosting, premium bulbs from comet and dipped them in bright yellow acrylic paint. I used Createx Opaque Airbrush paint that I already had, but wal-mart craft acrylic would be fine as well. I simply filled two depressions in a cheap plastic paint palette with the yellow, took a pair of needle nose pliers and dipped them in. I then lightly touched the end of the bulb onto an empty place on the palette (to prevent the dairy queen swirl from too much paint) and then, while holding it in the pliers, stuck the wedge end into mounting tack to dry. After fully drying overnight, I put the bulbs in, and holy $#&@. It is a LEGIT yellow!!! It looks terrific, matches the brightness of the other bulbs in the game and the heat is so minimal in LED's there is no danger from the bulb being over insulated. I may clear coat them with some sort of matte protection, but I am VERY pleased with how they turned out.
I tried to take photos of the machine with both incan's and the modified led's next to each other as it is STARK. The issue is my camera is apparently one step above a potato, as the lights looked nothing like the colors they are. Trust me, when they are on, it is worth the little bit of effort.
The only issue is, and its minor, is the red frosted bulbs on the ramp boards are still white that are right above the now yellow bulbs. This is worth it to me. I just thought I would offer it up.
Drying (resized).pngTrial runs (resized).png