(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,489 posts
  • 740 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by dboeren
  • Topic is favorited by 273 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240414_122747 (resized).jpg
IMG_8610 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6904 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6900 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5058 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
diverter assembly world cup (resized).png
Screenshot_20240206-183630 (resized).png
There are 8,489 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 170.
#2651 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What are you trading for it? (And what are you going to do about the PF? )

Not gonna do a darn thing about the flipper wear on the PF. My $1k No Fear has a wear spot from the right flipper and I don't care at all. Trading my Viper Night Drivin' for it, so it works out even trading a fully shopped, working, modded pin for an off route players condition pin that we really enjoy playing. My wife appreciates a pin a LOT more when she's invested time cleaning it up with me, plus WCS has been on her "want" list for a while.

#2652 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Not gonna do a darn thing about the flipper wear on the PF. My $1k No Fear has a wear spot from the right flipper and I don't care at all. Trading my Viper Night Drivin' for it, so it works out even trading a fully shopped, working, modded pin for an off route players condition pin that we really enjoy playing. My wife appreciates a pin a LOT more when she's invested time cleaning it up with me, plus WCS has been on her "want" list for a while.

May have to come over and play it. It's on my short-list to own..

#2653 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

May have to come over and play it. It's on my short-list to own..

U can come by and play my super sweet one in in the middle of redoing and probably selling in york unless i absolutely love it . I have a bunch new amazing pins since u been by so i dont think wcs has a chance of staying in my collection.

#2654 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yea of u plan on keeping it then its no big deal about wear if u dont mind. Only time it matters is if your gonna sell .

#2655 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U can come by and play my super sweet one in in the middle of redoing and probably selling in york unless i absolutely love it . I have a bunch new amazing pins since u been by so i dont think wcs has a chance of staying in my collection.

Nope, nope - looking for one with a bad playfield, unrestored. Looking to install my Proto NOS playfield into the game.

It's been over a year since I've been up to your place - I think the TZ's likely the only one that's still there.

#2656 7 years ago
Quoted from dleasman:

There must have been 2 versions of this board. lamps are not angled, they are straight up. Regardless, they all break if you so much as bump them. 2 of mine broke, and I fixed them with a piece of bare, solid copper wire.
FYI: Those side mount #555 sockets can be purchased here:
http://actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=24-8805

I agree with the two versions. I was at ReplayFX yesterday and played a WCS that had its coin toss lamps angled like that. I had to do a double take. Glad mine are pointing upwards because that angle would really bother me.....allot.

#2657 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Nope, nope - looking for one with a bad playfield, unrestored. Looking to install my Proto NOS playfield into the game.
It's been over a year since I've been up to your place - I think the TZ's likely the only one that's still there.

I just meant to play lol mine is in super nice condition especially after im done with it but yea u sld come hang out at some point

#2658 7 years ago

My mirror blades arrived from CoinTaker yesterday, and I installed them last night. Could not resist doing it after a recent Ray's Tech Tips video, where he showed easy they are to install. This is what it looks like, in action:

#2659 7 years ago

The mirror blades look great in WCS. I have a spare set and will be installing them in mine also because I think mirror blades or pinblades artwork adds a lot to the appearance. Give the playfield a self contained 3D world look.

Oh, and your LED choices look super too and that's how I'll want my game to look when finished. Bright, clean, well lit, no color bombed areas. There's a WCS locally on route and it looks like crap with colored LED areas everywhere. If the plastic is blue, then he put blue LEDs under it, etc.

#2660 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Your LED choices look super too and that's how I'll want my game to look when finished. Bright, clean, well lit, no color bombed areas. There's a WCS locally on route and it looks like crap with colored LED areas everywhere. If the plastic is blue, then he put blue LEDs under it, etc.

Actually, mine has colored LED lights almost everywhere. There are purple under the kick holes and cities, red under the rollovers, special, and LA, orange under the extra ball, goal, travel and some other places, blue under TV award, and the 3 lights at the top of the machine, and green under many other places, coin toss insert has yellow, and the 3 coin toss lights are orange. Green disc style pop bumper lights, and green accents. And I do have some colors in the back box too, though mostly bright white. My GI is almost all soft white or green.

For the pop holes and rollovers, I have flex lights (the wire stem kind that you can bend), that each have 2 elements, so I kind of light the feature from both sides, kind of like how flipper buttons are lit.

I do agree with you on color overkill... But I think mine is fairly balanced. I like vivid color AND a bright playfield. And, the mirror blades really amplify the light.

The reason my machine looks bright is because of the white LED strips and the 3 spot lights. This longer (and very boring) video shows more detail on my lighting.

#2661 7 years ago
Quoted from dleasman:

Actually, mine has colored LED lights almost everywhere.

Right, but they're used for accents and done tastefully. Not like you have green LEDs under the slings and the top left corner is all blue and washed out, etc...

#2662 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Right, but they're used for accents and done tastefully. Not like you have green LEDs under the slings and the top left corner is all blue and washed out, etc...

OK... I thought you were opposed to any insert being lit with a colored light. I DO appreciate the compliment. I started with the full LED kit for WCS from Marco, but I have since changed out a lot of bulbs to my preference, and added other lighting features, as stated in my crappy video. At this time, I am very happy with the lighting. I love the mirror blades. I have a couple more flexi lights that I am going to use to light the scoop hole (blue for TV Award, red for Final Draw). After that, I think my final mod is going to be to have the habitrail and coin toss unit power coated in a deep yellow. I saw someone else here do it, and I think updates the look of the machine. The gold is just so 90's...

#2663 7 years ago

I actually watched your video the other night and checked out the spotlights you installed. Most of my games have spotlights I've installed because of dim back areas of poorly lit playfield. I also like using LED strips under the backbox to illuminate the back area of the playfield, but it looks even better on WCS because of the stadium lights back there. Gives a nice effect for sure.

I'll have to see the condition of the wireform on mine when I pick it up this Friday. I was thinking of sending it to be brass plated along with my Shadow wireforms if it's needed. I did see the yellow wireform someone did and that looks sharp too.

#2664 7 years ago

Nice job on modding the game, I enjoyed watching the video and plan to add the soccer balls now that I've seen them. Curious did you use an LED OCD or something to make the LED's look so good? Everything transitions smoothly in the video, so was wondering if those were stock or not. Thanks for sharing!

#2665 7 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Curious did you use an LED OCD or something to make the led's look so good?

No OCD board. I just used good, non-ghosting bulbs. You only need one bad, or cheap, bulb in a row or column (on the matrix) to cause a problem. If you use a good quality bulb, your should be fine.

My original kit was from Marco, and the bulbs are fantastic, though I don't know what brand they are. The bulbs from comet pinball have been pretty good. I have not been thrilled with the bulbs from coin taker. Avoid the flat top with the magnified lense, as they cause weird shadows. The frosted dome style are always the best.

#2666 7 years ago

Some fresh gold goodies came in today!!!

IMG_20160801_174306.jpgIMG_20160801_174306.jpg

#2667 7 years ago

striker awards bulb: red, orange? yeah, i'm that anal.

#2668 7 years ago

Picked up our WCS on Friday and this morning I spent some time going through it. Repaired two of the pop bumpers with parts I had on hand, so that was nice. One had a broken mounting bracket and the other a broken leg on the metal ring. Also had to replace the connectors at J120 and J121 to get the GI and backbox lit up.

Biggest fix so far was the soccer ball was not spinning, but the motor would engage during testing. Took apart the soccer mech and I was expecting stripped gears and having to buy a new gearbox. But when playing with the positioning of the motor, I found it did engage the gearbox if the motor was backed out a little bit. Dug through my nuts bin and found a pair of nuts that fit the mounting bolts and were also the perfect thickness. So with these two nuts installed, the soccer ball spins like a champ. Apparently the original motor and gears aren't as loud as the replacements because I didn't think anything of the sound when play testing with the glass off.

So before you buy a new gearbox, play around and see if you can engage the gears by backing the motor out a bit. Pic below.

20160807_124602_(resized).jpg20160807_124602_(resized).jpg

#2669 7 years ago

Completed the repairs today and made a list of some parts I need to order, like the soccer ball, a plastic and a gate. There is supposed to be a gate at the exit of the kickback save, right?

Completely shopped under the playfield, cleaned all the inserts, lamp boards, etc, and installed all LEDs in the GI and inserts. Was happy to nearly use up a few bags of discontinued LEDs I bought from Cointaker last year in York.

Inside the cabinet was filthy, along with the playfield since it was fresh off route. But the cabinet looks pretty damn nice to me, if there's any fade, I can't tell. I'm also going to see about getting a scan of the lower playfield above the flipper and make a sticker to cover the wear spot. Doesn't matter to me, but my No Fear has a wear spot too and I figure it'll be a cool project to make stickers to cover the spots on both games.

I'm going to play for a few days and see if anything else is needed and then do the full topside teardown shop job and install a set of mirror blades I have when finished.

20160807_185226_(resized).jpg20160807_185226_(resized).jpg
20160807_185237_(resized).jpg20160807_185237_(resized).jpg
20160807_144654_(resized).jpg20160807_144654_(resized).jpg
20160807_185344_(resized).jpg20160807_185344_(resized).jpg

#2670 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

There is supposed to be a gate at the exit of the kickback save, right?

No - it's open.

#2671 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No - it's open.

Really? I had a few balls kick back down there and just figured they shouldn't be able to. Well good, one less part to order!

#2672 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Really? I had a few balls kick back down there and just figured they shouldn't be able to. Well good, one less part to order!

Yup! There's a setting in the game that will let it use a kickback (permanently) or kickback and not use the stored kickback.

#2673 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Completed the repairs today and made a list of some parts I need to order, like the soccer ball, a plastic and a gate. There is supposed to be a gate at the exit of the kickback save, right?
Completely shopped under the playfield, cleaned all the inserts, lamp boards, etc, and installed all LEDs in the GI and inserts. Was happy to nearly use up a few bags of discontinued LEDs I bought from Cointaker last year in York.
Inside the cabinet was filthy, along with the playfield since it was fresh off route. But the cabinet looks pretty damn nice to me, if there's any fade, I can't tell. I'm also going to see about getting a scan of the lower playfield above the flipper and make a sticker to cover the wear spot. Doesn't matter to me, but my No Fear has a wear spot too and I figure it'll be a cool project to make stickers to cover the spots on both games.
I'm going to play for a few days and see if anything else is needed and then do the full topside teardown shop job and install a set of mirror blades I have when finished.

Wow thats clean compared to the one i bought lol..... the dirt saved it tho and it has one the nicest playfields ive seen and cab was very nice. One day ill find time get it together lol ugh. Get the carbon fiber cliffys to cover/save the scoop and saucers holes.

#2674 7 years ago

Ok, my diverter is loose. What's the fix?

#2675 7 years ago

Is it loose because the hole in the ramp is worn ? If this the problem menards has some brass bushings with small flange on them . The flange keeps the bushing in place and not sliding through ramp

#2676 7 years ago

I have had a couple people contact me about the soccer ball stencils for the speaker grills. I had already mailed mine on to another member to use.

Since @pinballbulbs was kind enough to send use these for free, perhaps others could offer to pass theirs on as well.

#2677 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

What's the condition of all your gold parts? Can't really tell in the pics

#2678 7 years ago
Quoted from dleasman:

I have had a couple people contact me about the soccer ball stencils for the speaker grills. I had already mailed mine on to another member to use.
Since @pinballbulbs was kind enough to send use these for free, perhaps others could offer to pass theirs on as well.

I think the stencils look great on the speakers and would appreciate it if they can find their way to my pin.

#2679 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

What's the condition of all your gold parts? Can't really tell in the pics

Skill shot seems to look really nice, the legs aren't bad and should clean up well. The wireform is fine for me, but would look nice having a new one or re-plating the existing one. I'll be sending out my Shadow wireforms for plating soon and might include the WCS wireform in the batch depending on price versus a new wireform. I traded the Sega Viper for this, so I'm very pleased with the condition and progress I've made so far and will probably replace the wireform one way or the other since I don't have much $$ into this.

Wish a ColorDMD rom was available though. That would be sweet!

#2680 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Skill shot seems to look really nice, the legs aren't bad and should clean up well. The wireform is fine for me, but would look nice having a new one or re-plating the existing one. I'll be sending out my Shadow wireforms for plating soon and might include the WCS wireform in the batch depending on price versus a new wireform. I traded the Sega Viper for this, so I'm very pleased with the condition and progress I've made so far and will probably replace the wireform one way or the other since I don't have much $$ into this.
Wish a ColorDMD rom was available though. That would be sweet!

I think I was quoted $75 to brass the wireform, unless I'm thinking of something else. DO NOT use brasso or any other type of polish on those parts!!! It will take the plating right off. If you want to test first do it behind the legs where they mount to the cabinet. I'd say you made out extremely well on the trade. I would trade a Viper for a WCS that isn't even nice as yours.

#2681 7 years ago

Does anyone actually use the Magna Save feature? If so, when?

#2682 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Only time I used it was to test it works. haha

I've been keeping it in mind to use during a game, but to me the button seems too far away from the flipper button. When I do remember to use it in time, I never reach the button. I think it should be closer. When I had Sharkey's Shootout, there's an extra button along side each flipper button to raise an outlane post. I think those buttons are closer to the flipper button because I never had an issue raising the posts for a save.

Edit - posted a pic of Sharkey's buttons. This is how the magna save button should be - under the flipper button for easier access.

SharkeysShootout_03_(resized).jpgSharkeysShootout_03_(resized).jpg

#2683 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

My youngest son uses it all the time, and he's pretty good at it. For me... I never have the need.

#2684 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

The only time I use it is when you hit TV Award #2 and need to hit the Striker hole for an extra ball. On the kick out from the scoop I find it useful to magna save so you have the ball cradled on the left flipper and can go for the extra ball right away.

#2685 7 years ago

Brings me to a question. Where should the ball end up when kicked out of the TV Award hole? Noticed that mine seems to go SDTM every time.

#2686 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Brings me to a question. Where should the ball end up when kicked out of the TV Award hole? Noticed that mine seems to go SDTM every time.

Mine kicks to the middle of the left flipper.

#2687 7 years ago

Here's another question, this time for ROM burners. I need to update my ROM from L-1 to L-2. Any idea if the size of L-2 ROM will fit on the same chip? When I upgraded my ROM for Terminator 2, the newer ROM needed a larger chip, so just wanted to see if anyone knew from their experience.

#2688 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Here's another question, this time for ROM burners. I need to update my ROM from L-1 to L-2. Any idea if the size of L-2 ROM will fit on the same chip? When I upgraded my ROM for Terminator 2, the newer ROM needed a larger chip, so just wanted to see if anyone knew from their experience.

They're the same size, you're good to go. (You can also check by looking at the file size of the ROM. I.e. 512k is a 4Mb ROM, etc.

#2689 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

They're the same size, you're good to go. (You can also check by looking at the file size of the ROM. I.e. 512k is a 4Mb ROM, etc.

Awesome! Good info to know, I've never been able to figure out how to tell what size chip I have in the past and if the file will fit. Will backup mine, wipe it and burn it tonight.

#2690 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Mine kicks to the middle of the left flipper.

Same here. When it comes that way I like to do a live catch, cradle, then shoot for whatever I need to on the right side. In that situation where the ball is going SDTM I would either swap to a more powerful coil or experiment with bending the top of the scoops deflector

#2691 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Same here. When it comes that way I like to do a live catch, cradle, then shoot for whatever I need to on the right side. In that situation where the ball is going SDTM I would either swap to a more powerful coil or experiment with bending the top of the scoops deflector

I didn't replace the coil sleeve and coil stop or even inspect that mech yet, so will def do that and then adjust the scoop as needed. Exactly why I like playing a new games for a few days, to catch stuff like this. I have a notebook page almost full of tweaks to do, parts to buy, etc.

#2692 7 years ago

I just burned a non-ghosting image of the L-2 ROM successfully. If anyone needs it, just let me know. I'm sure you long time owners already have it, but putting this out there for new WCS owners to see.

#2693 7 years ago

Last night I also disassembled each kick out mech for the 3 holes. New coils, springs and removed the cotter pin on the kicker and cleaned the black gunk in there. So now the TV Award most of the time kicks to the end of the left flipper, still a few STDM, but not everytime. So I'll tweak it a bit to get it consistent. The left free kick hole's kicker was weak because of gunk in the kicker itself and it didn't move very freely.

So if you're having any issues with the kicker holes, a cleaning of the kicker part by removing the cotter pin will do the trick.

Tonight or tomorrow I need to clean and rebuild the pops because they aren't getting enough action. I already have the new spoons for them and all other parts, so those pops will be really hopping soon.

#2694 7 years ago

Show your custom instruction cards if you have them. I need a set for the game and am looking now but haven't found any I really like yet.

#2695 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

non-ghosting image of the L-2 ROM successfully

Is that different from the CPU Eprom U6 Version LX2 sold by thatpinballplace.com?

#2696 7 years ago

Same rom version, I just patched it to be non-ghosting for LEDs. I used LEDs I bought at a big discount at a show and they weren't bad, but did have a slight flicker if looking closely. This patch eliminated any ghosting I could see.

#2697 7 years ago

wcs2_(resized).jpgwcs2_(resized).jpg

wcs2_inst_(resized).jpgwcs2_inst_(resized).jpg

#2698 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Show your custom instruction cards if you have them. I need a set for the game and am looking now but haven't found any I really like yet.

Cards for many machines can be found here:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/card/card.htm

For WCS, I am unaware of any others than the ones shown on the site above. But there are a couple versions of the score cards, and I think they also have the originals, as well as the newer modern custom set shown above (these are what I am using).

The DO also have coin return inserts for WCS, with Striker on them... But I use the standard 2x Quarter inserts.

#2699 7 years ago

Yeah I like those cards. I can't access the pinballrebel site at work, so I couldn't see what they had, but the pinballcards.com doesn't have any.

#2700 7 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

Is it loose because the hole in the ramp is worn ? If this the problem menards has some brass bushings with small flange on them . The flange keeps the bushing in place and not sliding through ramp

Any one have a link to buy that bushing or a pic installed?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,159.00
Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 180.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,489 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 170.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome/page/54?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.