(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,001 posts
  • 542 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 189 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,480 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D63E449A-4925-4B59-BE4F-B64B4E592A1A.jpeg
968A7B13-7069-484E-A41D-4E5E7D392BFC.jpeg
823DD0DE-9674-454C-A9BF-E867533D1519 (resized).jpeg
20200902_070625 (resized).jpg
tenor (3).gif
tenor (2).gif
Ouch (resized).jpg
822BA7AB-17A3-4386-A8A5-BC021EA3CD13 (resized).jpeg
AB1CF15B-2DF2-4D79-9752-260B9DD1B6B7 (resized).jpeg
Striker Hole (2) (resized).jpg
Striker Hole (1) (resized).jpg
11853501-3520-43F1-9013-A8EB048BCC74 (resized).jpeg
DAFB2356-8C4B-48A5-B771-03F955841954 (resized).jpeg
bb8d9b3af14e65ec6c6537568157707500f1084d (resized).jpg
D7CB89BD-54F3-40F2-82F7-88740788DA18 (resized).jpeg
20200723_203934 (resized).jpg

There are 6001 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 121.
#1951 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

If someone gets it lifted let us know. I am very curious as to why it is sticking so badly.

Well, thanks to RampShot11, Venom_249, and T7 for offering assistance. The leg bolt plates were super-loose in the game, and finally with enough determination and faith that the game wouldn't just fall down onto the floor and possibly squish my feet, I jiggled the playfield around more vigorously than before and it finally gave! This was good since there's a lot of stuff under the playfield that needs cleaning and/or replacement, as evidenced by the way it behaved at DMS Open House. Now I'm working on replacing those leg bolt plates while it's set on the ground...

#1952 4 years ago

Looks like I'll be joining the club next week – it'll be my first pin. Anything I should look into upgrading right away?

#1953 4 years ago

Upgrade?? Mines completely stock with incandescents and looks/plays great. Never crossed my mind to add anything to this game.

#1954 4 years ago

Yeah, I would just make sure everything is adjusted and working--and enjoy! The one thing you might want to be sure of is that the soccer ball isn't badly oxidized: the balls should grip the soccer ball rim and be thrown/spun when they make contact--they shouldn't slide off of it. If it needs replacing, here's one place to go: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6709

#1955 4 years ago

Hi all,

I joined this club during the summer. There is one really bad thing with my WCS that I am hoping to fix. I have tried serching for decals for it. Anyone have any luck finding them or do I have to paint?

There is a small chip in the insert. Really want to try to fix it.

image.jpg

#1956 4 years ago

Anyone have a better way of lighting the red roll over stars? I have LED's but they just don't provide much light. I have tried adjusting and pointing them...

Any thoughts?

#1957 4 years ago
Quoted from thall17:

Anyone have a better way of lighting the red roll over stars? I have LED's but they just don't provide much light. I have tried adjusting and pointing them...
Any thoughts?

I use red flex LEDs like these pointing straight at the roll over, they are plenty bright! http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smdflexng.htm

#1958 4 years ago

Over the weekend we had the European Pinball Championship 2015 in Belgium.

A papa style final was played. After 3 games, the No 1 was known (Jorian Engelbrektsson from Sweden) but place 2 till 4 needed a shootout game wich was drawn from all the tournament machines.

It was my World Cup Soccer 94. The game was streamed over the internet too on can be seen on this video (first minute has bad video on the playfield but this got solved then):
http://www.twitch.tv/epc2015/v/19256772

Player 1: Jochen Ludwig (DE)
Player 2: Lyman Sheats (USA)
Player 3: Paul Jongma (NL)

One player surely got the ball going!

On a sidenote.. I picked up this game in Paris last summer and it needed lot's of work, had missing assemblies and parts, very very dirty, broken flippers, etc etc.. Nice to see it performing on the tournament floor again

#1959 4 years ago
Quoted from beardorew:

Looks like I'll be joining the club next week – it'll be my first pin. Anything I should look into upgrading right away?

New soccer ball definitely and make sure the popper that shoots the goal has good strength to it.

#1960 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Picked up the game last night.

Playfield is in nice condition overall, typical wear at the saucers and scoop. Came with a recently installed new ball and motor, and most of the inserts have been switched to LEDs. A few cracked plastics and some cabinet wear, but the only real issue (that doesn't affect play at all) is one of the WORLDCUP inserts is pressed in a tiny bit and mylared over.

When I was leveling the pin I couldn't find a bubble to adjust pitch near the shooter lane like so many other games have. Is it hidden there or just not present?

#1961 4 years ago
Quoted from beardorew:

Thanks for the advice. Picked up the game last night.
Playfield is in nice condition overall, typical wear at the saucers and scoop. Came with a recently installed new ball and motor, and most of the inserts have been switched to LEDs. A few cracked plastics and some cabinet wear, but the only real issue (that doesn't affect play at all) is one of the WORLDCUP inserts is pressed in a tiny bit and mylared over.
When I was leveling the pin I couldn't find a bubble to adjust pitch near the shooter lane like so many other games have. Is it hidden there or just not present?

I don't think WCS had a bubble level on any of them. I could be wrong but I've never seen one with it. I think you can heat the insert from under the play field and push it up slightly to level it off but I would consult Vid's guide before doing that. let me guess your "Header" plastic is broken right?!?

#1962 4 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

let me guess your "Header" plastic is broken right?!?

Yeah, that one is broken. Also the plastic below the left ramp is broken above the rubbers for the tackle target.

My only real complaint with the gameplay is the travel loop shoots directly into the left outlane almost 100% of the time on a clean shot. Makes it incredibly difficult to shoot for the cities unless the kickback is lit. Anyway to adjust the way the ball exits the right side?

#1963 4 years ago
Quoted from beardorew:

Yeah, that one is broken. Also the plastic below the left ramp is broken above the rubbers for the tackle target.
My only real complaint with the gameplay is the travel loop shoots directly into the left outlane almost 100% of the time on a clean shot. Makes it incredibly difficult to shoot for the cities unless the kickback is lit. Anyway to adjust the way the ball exits the right side?

Woah. Mine never comes out that far. I normally hit the bottom half of the left sling. Something is off there.

#1964 4 years ago
Quoted from beardorew:

Quoted from PinballNewb:

Woah. Mine never comes out that far. I normally hit the bottom half of the left sling. Something is off there.

Honestly, I think it depends a lot on game speed, slope, and coil power.

I've seen games who's kickback lands the ball in the TV Scoop, while others end up hitting the Magna-Save target. Really varies. Though, in theory, if you adjust the screws holding on the metal guide, you can likely aim it down a little more.

#1965 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly, I think it depends a lot on game speed, slope, and coil power.
I've seen games who's kickback lands the ball in the TV Scoop, while others end up hitting the Magna-Save target. Really varies. Though, in theory, if you adjust the screws holding on the metal guide, you can likely aim it down a little more.

I think he was referring to the left loop feeding the ball to the kickback (or drain) everytime. FWIW though my kickback hits the soccer ball, and if spinning will score a goal for the bicycle kick score. Wouldn't mind it going to the TV scoop though because I have a hard enough time hitting it consistently!

#1966 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

I think he was referring to the left loop feeding the ball to the kickback (or drain) everytime. FWIW though my kickback hits the soccer ball, and if spinning will score a goal for the bicycle kick score. Wouldn't mind it going to the TV scoop though because I have a hard enough time hitting it consistently!

Oh! I misread his post, sorry!

Though, i guess most of my post still stands, depending on the game and the metal guide. My favorite game was the one that made the TV shot for you, since I have so much trouble with that shot.

1 week later
#1967 4 years ago

Hi. I received my WCS this week. After setting it up and playing a few games, the house got pretty stinky with a burning chemical smell. I think it might be heat sink compound applied by the guy who sold it to me, he probably bullet proofed the power board. The heat sink for BR1 and BR2 is very hot, almost too hot to touch. BR3 and BR4 are also very hot.

Is it expected to see this much heat in this game? The same components remain cool to the touch in my NF.

Also, a gameplay question. If I launch the ball, then score a goal, then sink the ball in the net again before relighting "goal", I get the striker award. Is this expected? Or should I only get this for hitting Striker's hole? Trying to figure out if that's gameplay as usual, or if something is registering that shouldn't.

#1968 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Hi. I received my WCS this week. After setting it up and playing a few games, the house got pretty stinky with a burning chemical smell. I think it might be heat sink compound applied by the guy who sold it to me, he probably bullet proofed the power board. The heat sink for BR1 and BR2 is very hot, almost too hot to touch. BR3 and BR4 are also very hot.
Is it expected to see this much heat in this game? The same components remain cool to the touch in my NF.
Also, a gameplay question. If I launch the ball, then score a goal, then sink the ball in the net again before relighting "goal", I get the striker award. Is this expected? Or should I only get this for hitting Striker's hole? Trying to figure out if that's gameplay as usual, or if something is registering that shouldn't.

Heat is expected - more than NF as that's a WPC-95 game, however, it shouldn't burn you. Your board may just be old and need to be gone over.

For the Stryker shot, I believe there's a setting that allows the first Stryker shot to be awarded from the goal - after that, only direct shots to his hole award.

..And apparently I have Airplane! on the mind.. Oy.

#1969 4 years ago

Followup questions... I've played 20 or so games now and am getting a feel for it, but I can't decide if there are atrocious design flaws, or if the game needs adjustments:

#1, The flippers are crazy strong. In the few games I've played, I've lodged the ball in out of the way places 3 times. Twice it took ball search to release it, once I had to open the glass. That's not a good ratio. Are the flippers this strong on all games? I've also nailed the top glass a couple times, and ricocheted onto the wireframe ramp a couple times (which is kind of weird).

The left loop / left outlane: Hitting the left loop means the ball loops around and into left outlane 95% of the time, this probably ties in to flipper power. This means once I've used my kickback, hitting the loop is an automatic loss of ball. WTF since the left loop is important.

Jets: 90% of the time, when the diverter is in position to put you into the jets, the ball comes down through the right lane and right through the jets. The default ball path is right between the jets and out. They rarely get activated. What's with that? Is there a way to intentionally get into the jets to take advantage of ultrajets? Are you expected to nudge to get into them?

From the manual, "Hitting a dog target lights a letter in the word "STRIKER." When you light all seven letters, you get 10M and the Striker Scoop is lit": I'm not seeing it. Where can I see the letters? Am I insane and/or blind? Is there a chance that they don't exist in the European table? I hit the targets, I eventually get the 10M and light the red light over striker's hole, but I'm not seeing any lights for S-T-R-I-K-E-R anywhere on the PF or DMD. {EDIT: I found this one by watching a 15 minute video online. Didn't realize it lights up on the DMD for just a second then returns to score. I was looking for a permanent light somewhere}

Assist saucer: has enough power to launch the ball like 1". I never get a goal. This is probably just a tweak with switch gaps.

Magnasave: Is this useful to anyone? The odds of catching the ball with the flipper are waaay better than catching it with the magnet.

#1970 4 years ago

Check the post sleeves at the exit of the left loop. After I shopped my game the ball would nick the new post sleeve i installed and alter its path. I ended up using a different sleeve (or adjusting it) and it fixed the problem. It should hit the left slingshot.

#1971 4 years ago

Flipper strength: does sound like they might be stronger than standard--maybe check the coils that are installed?

Pop bumpers: yes, nudging is necessary, but the best is to nudge to get the ball into the better lane and use flipper buttons to unlight that lane if necessary. And definitely clean your pop bumper contacts with a paper credit card and tighten the gap if necessary.

Your experience with the Magna-save matches mine exactly. Good idea that just doesn't work practically. Some people, though, use it with a catch to set up a repeatable shot. Maybe someone will chime in about that here.

The assist shot mechanism should be able to be cleaned and reworked to make it stronger. The manual actually recommends light lubrication of these mechanisms.

1 week later
#1972 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

Joined the WCS club a couple of weeks ago and it is my first pin. The game plays great and after a bit of polishing with some Novus, it play super fast. Really loving the World Cup finals against Germany, very satisfying to get there and then that match is a very intense 45 seconds.

1 week later
#1973 4 years ago

Hey up !

Greetings from chilly Yorkshire. I've recently joined the WCS 94 club and have just refurbished the game. I repaired, the eject holes, repaired the goal entrance, installed a new plastic set and polished the playfield.
I have a question. Is the Coin Toss decal available from anywhere ?
I have the new plastic and would prefer to put on a new decal than remove the old one.
It's the last piece in the jigsaw to complete a VERY nice looking WCS.

Take it easy,
stoptap

#1974 4 years ago

Hey Stoptap, are you talking about this decal?

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/world-cup-soccer-94/31-1929-12.html

I recently ordered something from them for a different game and the price was very reasonable, even with shipping. Part came with no issues at all.

Hopefully, that's what you're looking for.

Dave

#1975 4 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Hey Stoptap, are you talking about this decal?
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/world-cup-soccer-94/31-1929-12.html
I recently ordered something from them for a different game and the price was very reasonable, even with shipping. Part came with no issues at all.
Hopefully, that's what you're looking for.
Dave

Dave you are a star.

Thank you kindly,
stoptap.

#1976 4 years ago

Happy to help stoptap...glad that was the part you were looking for.

#1977 4 years ago

Anyone have a new(er) left sling plastic? I want to replace mine, but only found 1 on eBay for like $20 plus shipping.

1 week later
#1978 4 years ago

Paper inserts on top of table. I am not sure what these are called, but there is one on the right and left side of the table, covered with a piece of clear plastic, often saying the rules, or the bally logo, and possibly price to play. Anyway... I am looking for a .pdf or printable images of these so I can have them on my machine, as it was when it was once new.

Does anyone know where I can find these? Or know what the official names are for these pieces?

I am very new to this group, and purchased my WCS94 machine a couple weeks back. I have been working on it a lot, and replacing a lot of parts, obtained from Marco Specialties, including the LED upgrade, new soccer ball, and a few other odd parts. Been a lot of fun so far. I have not been inside a pinball machine in over 30 years, and have found that I can still troubleshoot pretty well, and have fixed all issues so far.

Thanks,
-Dana

#1979 4 years ago

dleasman, I think you're talking about the score card and instruction card. I believe those are what you're looking for. Those are the cards that give you some basic rules (instruction card) and the balls per game and other info on the score card. If you search the pinside forum for Inkochnito you should find Peter's website information. He makes a lot of these cards available for you to print and put into your games. He's probably not the only one that does it but many have used his stuff.

Dave

#1980 4 years ago

Thanks! Found his site, http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/, but unfortunately, there is no WCF cards listed.
I did find at Jeff's Games, http://www.jeffsgames.com/archives/category/pinball-games/world-cup-soccer-94/, which shows some really nice cards, with some color! I would LOVE these, and posted a reply to that post, hoping that he sees it, and can help me out. Else, I did find the original sheets through a link on this page, http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2811, along with a lot of other useful information.

#1981 4 years ago

Sounds like you've got it figured out and will eventually find what you need. Glad I could point you in the right direction.

#1982 4 years ago

any word on those ramp repros ?

#1983 4 years ago

Under Cabinet Lighting: Anyone used one of these kits? I found this kit for WCS94:

Product: http://www.rockcustompinball.com/#!standard-interactive-undercab-kits/ca9m (look at page 2)
WCS94 Kit: http://www.rockcustompinball.com/#!product/prd1/2054053475/world-cup-soccer-undercab-kit

The kit is $90, and is plug and play, in terms of connecting to the existing logic board in the top box. It is interactive, and changes colors and flashes with the game. I already have and led upgrade for the machine, and was thinking of adding this to modernize it a bit more, but want to be careful of going too far, and de-valueing the game, though this remove easily.

Just wondering if others have installed under cabinet/back box lighting, and how it turned out.

-Dana

#1984 4 years ago

Rock puts together good stuff, if you're not going to DIY your cabinet lighting that's the way to go. Comet Pinball just came out with their Matrix system which is an easy way to DIY similar effects tied into flashers.

#1985 4 years ago

Just beat Germany 5-4 to run my career record against them to 2-2....what a rush playing them...I haven't done a fist pump over winning a sporting competition like that in a long time!

#1986 4 years ago

Rock Custom is an awesome guy to deal with. I don't know if I've ever met someone that puts more time and effort into his work. Truly a great product and great guy. His kits are pretty awesome and look even better.

#1987 4 years ago

Need some advice. Today the Soccer Ball isn't spinning at all. Is test, it won't spin either direction. Fuse is ok, checked all the connectors under the PF and on the boards. Does the motor just completely die suddenly? Or am I overlooking known simple fixes? Marco has them in stock for like $90.

Edit: Never mind - Re-punched the wires on the small motor board and that did it.

#1988 4 years ago

Anyone know what size edging is on the back glass? Mine are all a couple inches short at each corner, and it looks incomplete, plus, mine are cracked and broken. I am wanting to replace the edging all around, with the lift ledge at the bottom. These also hold the translight in place. I see Marco Spec. has them:

Will this WPC 95 kit work? I know WCS 94 is a WPC-S, not a WPC 95, but is the backglass/translight the same?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-942X

If not, does anyone know which edging WILL work?

Thanks,
-Dana

Nevermind... Just needed to look more closely. It's THIS one:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-822X-X

There is a compatibility tab that I should have been paying attention to!

#1989 4 years ago

Does anyone know a part number for the L bracket (ball stop/guard) at the end of the ramps? My game is missing two. They don't appear to be called out in the manual, and I can't find them on Marco's or other websites. It might help if I knew the proper name for them. Thanks!
untitled.png

#1990 4 years ago
Quoted from louvnj:

Does anyone know a part number for the L bracket (ball stop/guard) at the end of the ramps? My game is missing two. They don't appear to be called out in the manual, and I can't find them on Marco's or other websites. It might help if I knew the proper name for them. Thanks!

My game only has one at the top left of the play field. None are installed near the flippers. My ramps are looking really new and don't have any wear there so I don't think they were ever installed.
If it is not causing any trouble for you I would just leave as is.

#1991 4 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

My game only has one at the top left of the play field. None are installed near the flippers. My ramps are looking really new and don't have any wear there so I don't think they were ever installed.
If it is not causing any trouble for you I would just leave as is.

Thank you! Mine also only has it on the top left one, I assumed each ramp should have one. Maybe the shape of the ramp determines the need for this piece. The left and right long ramps have bends in them which slow the ball down before it hits the bottom of the ramps, so maybe ball speed determines the need for the bracket.

#1992 4 years ago

both ramps have metal brackets on my unit.

#1993 4 years ago

Assist Hole Kickout HELP ME!!!

Ok...the balls will not kick out of the assist hole..barely goes up and right back in.. Worked great when I first got it fully shopped out by a professional. Over time (two months) it got weaker and weaker. I disassembled and put a new coil on it. Still the same issue. Can someone please give me a step-by-step bullet point of what I need to do to resolve this? I am ready to sell the darned thing because I am tired of this issue.

In summary:
* fully shopped, worked great when I got it
* slowly got weaker
* put new coil, and same issue
* has a cliffy installed
* game seems level

HELP!!!!! (or make an offer and come get this thing out of my gameroom!, haha)

#1994 4 years ago

The manual talks about lubricating the moving points of the eject mechanisms. It also discusses eject hole manual testing (from the game's 'Utilities' menu) as actuating long enough to allow adjustment of the projecting arm. Lubrication is usually a last resort step at most. Make sure the cliffy is lying flat above the kickout hole. Check the wiring connections to the coil. Maybe replace the coil tube (nylon part the piston slides in) and check the piston for smoothness.

#1995 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Ok...the balls will not kick out of the assist hole..barely goes up and right back in.. Worked great when I first got it fully shopped out by a professional. Over time (two months) it got weaker and weaker. I disassembled and put a new coil on it. Still the same issue. Can someone please give me a step-by-step bullet point of what I need to do to resolve this? I am ready to sell the darned thing because I am tired of this issue.
In summary:
* slowly got weaker
* has a cliffy installed
* game seems level

See if the pivot shaft has worked loose. I had exactly the same problem and the pivot shaft had become loose (it absorbs a huge amount of the energy if it's loose). I took off the bracket and welded the shaft in place. It now fires into the goal very nicely.

2 weeks later
#1996 4 years ago

I am noticing that the left eject hole (not the one up by the net, but lower table, on left) is not very strong. The one on the right does not have a lot of power either. Are these supposed to be weak?
I can't really see an adjustment of any kind to make it stronger. Anyone have a recommendation here?

Thanks,
-Dana

#1997 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

In summary:
* slowly got weaker
* has a cliffy installed
* game seems level

Take the cliffy off and I bet it will work fine. Mine did the same thing with a cliffy on.

#1998 4 years ago

Hello, I'm now a proud owner of a WCS. The ball in my game looks pretty dingy and doesn't spin without having a vibration so I'm gonna have to look into that as well.

I was about to hit the buy button on a new ball but thought I should ask here first.

Is there a consensus as to which replacement soccer ball is better?

Bay Area Amusements "Slightly off white" one or the one Marco is selling?

Marco
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6709
large_(resized).jpg

BAA
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BAA&Product_Code=GS-WCS23-6709
GS-WCS23-6709L_(resized).jpg

#1999 4 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

Take the cliffy off and I bet it will work fine. Mine did the same thing with a cliffy on.

When I first got it, it worked great. Does the cliffy tend to "lift up" over time and stop the ball from smoothly ejecting?

i need to get my game face on and work on that assist hole problem....It's making me want to sell the game, its that frustrating.

#2000 4 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

I was about to hit the buy button but thought I should ask here first.
Is there a consensus as to which replacement soccer ball is better?
Bay Area Amusements "Slightly off white" one or the one Marco is selling?
Marco
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6709
large_(resized).jpg
BAA
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BAA&Product_Code=GS-WCS23-6709
GS-WCS23-6709L_(resized).jpg

I think you should go with the WHITE. It will stand out better and the overall appeal is better.
The ball will eventually have a ring around it from the pinballs coming into contact with it though.
But as long as you are buying a new one go with the brighter one. IMO

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenville, SC
$ 11.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Ulm, MN
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 6001 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 121.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside