New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,045 posts
  • 546 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by rollitover
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,502 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200718_131646 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200901_203439 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200813_183253 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200803_140023 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200915_190154 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200915_144540_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200723_021413 (resized).jpg
45A49534-AD4A-45DA-A7B0-F8288E87DC95 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200928_202603 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200928_171048095 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200928_171035652 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200928_171030893 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200928_171027123 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200928_171022807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200928_171018490 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200928_170923079 (resized).jpg

There are 6045 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 121.
#1551 5 years ago
Quoted from diesel:

No.
This is what i did.
First i disconnected the connectors from the MPU board and row 2 did not appear. After reattaching the connectors back onto the MPU board i then disconnected the connectors from the 7 Opto board and again row 2 did not appear (on DMD).
Also every time I switch on the machine the trough and goal popper start to fire.
7 Opto board or MPU?
Just letting you know i've replaced the LM399 chips on the 7 Opto board. Could the chips be faulty?

Possible, and likely - since row 2 is grounding WHEN the 7opto board is plugged in, something on the board is grounding the row. I'm at work and don't have the manual to glance through, but obviously check traces, diodes, etc. If you socketed the LM399 chip, take it out and see if the row is still grounded. (If you DIDN'T socket the LM339, replace it again, this time with a socket. ) If the row is still grounded with the ship pulled, then it's not the chip, it's a trace or diode or shorted resistor.

(Edit: I may be wrong about pulling the chip; again, I'm working from memory here.)

#1552 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Possible, and likely - since row 2 is grounding WHEN the 7opto board is plugged in, something on the board is grounding the row. I'm at work and don't have the manual to glance through, but obviously check traces, diodes, etc. If you socketed the LM399 chip, take it out and see if the row is still grounded. (If you DIDN'T socket the LM339, replace it again, this time with a socket. ) If the row is still grounded with the ship pulled, then it's not the chip, it's a trace or diode or shorted resistor.
(Edit: I may be wrong about pulling the chip; again, I'm working from memory here.)

You were correct by saying it was either a trace, diode or resistor. I checked all 3 and found the problem was the trace on the 7 Opto board. When i replaced the LM399 chip with a socket the trace had lifted. I re-soldered the socket and now row 2 is no longer grounded.
Thank you for all advice mate unfortunately another problem has appeared on dmd 'Opto trough bad check connectors, wire and 12v'.
What is wrong with this machine!!!!

#1553 5 years ago
Quoted from diesel:

You were correct by saying it was either a trace, diode or resistor. I checked all 3 and found the problem was the trace on the 7 Opto board. When i replaced the LM399 chip with a socket the trace had lifted. I re-soldered the socket and now row 2 is no longer grounded.
Thank you for all advice mate unfortunately another problem has appeared on dmd 'Opto trough bad check connectors, wire and 12v'.
What is wrong with this machine!!!!

It's telling you that you REALLY want to sell it.

This one is easy, though - check your trough optos. *Most* Likely the 12v wire got cut, damaged, or broken while you were messing with the 7-opto board. Get a digital camera and see if the LEDs are transmitting, first.

#1554 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It's telling you that you REALLY want to sell it.
This one is easy, though - check your trough optos. *Most* Likely the 12v wire got cut, damaged, or broken while you were messing with the 7-opto board. Get a digital camera and see if the LEDs are transmitting, first.

Just use your cell phone camera.

#1555 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Just use your cell phone camera.

Yeah, technically that's digital.

#1556 5 years ago

I suppose.

But nicer cameras have IR coatings, that's why I suggest phones, they generally do not.

#1557 5 years ago

I just got this game, and it is really fun. Now I just need to remember to use that magna-save. By the time I remember I have that, it is too late.

It seems like it is a good way to get an easy cradle on the left flipper when the ball is hopping over from the right flipper.

#1558 5 years ago
Quoted from swedishc:

I just got this game, and it is really fun. Now I just need to remember to use that magna-save. By the time I remember I have that, it is too late.
It seems like it is a good way to get an easy cradle on the left flipper when the ball is hopping over from the right flipper.

When I was tech for a game and played it often (and now, playing on VPM), I never, ever use it. Dunno why.

#1559 5 years ago

Hey owners -
Could someone send me a close-up picture (unlit) of the "Los Angeles" / "World Cup" insert over Detroit?

Thanks!
-Mike

#1560 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey owners -
Could someone send me a close-up picture (unlit) of the "Los Angeles" / "World Cup" insert over Detroit?
Thanks!
-Mike

Is this what your after?

P1019068.JPG
#1561 5 years ago
Quoted from diesel:

Is this what your after?

P1019068.JPG 214 KB

Perfect, thanks!

Interesting that they seemed to keep the insert from prototype, but covered it with ink. (If you can verify, thanks! It looks like that in the pic..)

#1562 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Perfect, thanks!
Interesting that they seemed to keep the insert from prototype, but covered it with ink. (If you can verify, thanks! It looks like that in the pic..)

Definitely ink!

#1563 5 years ago

any word on the repro ramps?

#1565 5 years ago
Quoted from Evan55:

any word on the repro ramps?

That's what I want to know. I know Starship Fantasy was asked about them back in December and they said that they were still in their plans for the future but I have not seen any news since then.

#1567 5 years ago

How would you deal with the lack of decals?
That game has a lot of ramp decals....re-use.. Reproduce?

#1568 5 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

How would you deal with the lack of decals?
That game has a lot of ramp decals....re-use.. Reproduce?

Marco has some of the decals, but I don't think all of them.

Chris

#1569 5 years ago

I just joined the club. I am in need of a few plastics. I know full plastic sets were recently remade, but funds are tight after purchasing the game.

Anyone have a decent set of old plastics you pulled off your game and you want to sell for cheap? Probably 4 cracked ones in my game:one surronding the left pop, over the tv scoop, under the left ramp, and 1 more on right side says "score" on it

alternatively, anyone have a new set they are no longer planning to use?

#1570 5 years ago

Welcome to the club Whysnow. All those machines... what took you so long? Just hadn't gotten around to it or had you owned one in the past?
Anyway fun game and I hope you enjoy it!

#1571 5 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Welcome to the club Whysnow. All those machines... what took you so long? Just hadn't gotten around to it or had you owned one in the past?
Anyway fun game and I hope you enjoy it!

A good friend of mine has had his WCS on route for the past 6 months so little incentive to buy my own

This one was part of a 3 pack deal so the timing was right I guess. It has good bones, but will need some love. I already started fixing hack GI J120 and J121 on the board, plus cleaning up a few other things. Now is time to start amassing parts before stripping the entire pf. I am trying a new approach and not going to over spend like I always due on my games, hence why I am trying to avoid a full plastic set cost. Reality is that I should probably just buy the full plastic set

I have a tough time dialing down the level of detail I like to go to on my machines.

#1572 5 years ago

Anyone going to the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend? I'm taking my WCS.

#1573 5 years ago

I am missing my instructions for the pinballbulbs.com led kit. I have emailed them to get another one but they have not responded. Can someone here please send me a picture or scan of the bulb placement instructions. I'm sure I can figure it out myself but having used it on my POTC it made it damn near mindless. Thanks.

1 week later
#1574 5 years ago

So I bought my WCS94 a month or two ago. I had saved it from this operator that was very much neglecting it. I finally got it up and in playable condition. It was crazy everything that was wrong with it but I am so happy with my result. The goalie had a bad motor and bad opto switch. Soccer ball was trashed and same with motor. Pop Bumpers had 2 broken mounting brackets. The dude just put mylar over the rollover button that were missing. So replaced and fixed them. The assist hole's kicker mechanism was missing. Plus the plastic base was broken. The sound board was missing. Upper left ramp diverter was not working. Upper loop gate was not working. Left outlane kickback was sloppy & jamming. Left return lane switch was not working. Right ramp entrance switch was not working. Goalie kickout wasn't kicking it out. Ball lock release post was sticking & wouldn't release ball for multiball. Installed new locks on coin door and backbox. Install 2 rollover lane slot protectors. Last but not least rebuilt the flippers. All that work and now I am one happy camper!

WCS94 playfield.jpg WCS94.jpg Karter playing WCS94.jpg
#1575 5 years ago

Lotta' work but nice when one is rescued!

#1576 5 years ago

Hey quick question. I've gotten a 1.5 billion score a couple of times with the extra ball button both times. The lowest high score is 1.4 billion. Even though I've surpassed it twice it won't let me post my initials. Is that because I've used a buyou in each time?

#1577 5 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid3:

Hey quick question. I've gotten a 1.5 billion score a couple of times with the extra ball button both times. The lowest high score is 1.4 billion. Even though I've surpassed it twice it won't let me post my initials. Is that because I've used a buyou in each time?

That's right, you have to score on regular play to qualify! Just wait until you can chop all that wood to defeat Germany in the finals and you get on the board as GC, great feeling.

#1578 5 years ago

Hi there!
i can't find anywhere what are the original colors of the rubbers in the playfield.. can someone help? thanks!

#1579 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

That's right, you have to score on regular play to qualify! Just wait until you can chop all that wood to defeat Germany in the finals and you get on the board as GC, great feeling.

I was getting was getting excited because I beat great Britain on ball 2 so I was like "Germany is mine!" Then it went down hill from there. Some times it feels like the ball has a mind of it's own. Haha

#1580 5 years ago

Does anyone have a problem with light free kick holes shooting it right between the flippers?

1 week later
#1582 5 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid3:

Does anyone have a problem with light free kick holes shooting it right between the flippers?

You should be able to tweak the strength of the kick-out by cleaning or adjusting the mechanism(s). One of mine used to weakly drop the ball near the top of the slingshot, which was similarly dangerous for the life of the ball.

#1583 5 years ago

Hi there!
i can't find anywhere what are the original colors of the rubbers in the playfield.. can someone help? thanks!!!

#1584 5 years ago
Quoted from JDee:

Hi there!
i can't find anywhere what are the original colors of the rubbers in the playfield.. can someone help? thanks!!!

The flyer shows white rubbers if you look closely: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2811&picno=4128&zoom=1

#1585 5 years ago

White was originally suite auth the game when I picked one up from the distributor..

#1586 5 years ago

Hey fellow wcs owners. I have had my WCS for quite a while and love the game.
Out of interest what firmware are people running these days?

A while ago I came across v3.01 and thought it was just a rehashed version but
It actually uses a different pic (g10). I didn't really notice any difference but
Apparently it included some extra previously unused audio call outs in the rom space.

Was just curious.

#1587 5 years ago

I am going to have to go back and read all 31 pages of this thread. Oh boy.

Anyone ever done GOLD legs and GOLD rails and GOLD lock bar??

#1589 5 years ago

Anyone know where to get cabinet decals for WCS?

#1590 5 years ago

#1591 5 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I am going to have to go back and read all 31 pages of this thread. Oh boy.
Anyone ever done GOLD legs and GOLD rails and GOLD lock bar??

It originally came with gold legs. I have a set on mine.

#1592 5 years ago

Looking for one if anyone has for sale. Thanks

#1593 5 years ago

I just recently picked up one of these. Freaking love it! Besides some simple cosmetic issues, there is some lift and deterioration on the playfield with the Stamina, Speed, Strength, etc bits. Doesn't appear anywhere else on the playfield. They appear to be coming up and cracking off in near perfect circles. Anyone seen a fix for this sort of thing. I can add pics tonight, but didn't know if I just had to live with it and maybe mylar over top of it to prevent any further damage or what. Any suggestions?

#1594 5 years ago

I'm really interested in what people recommend for insert repair. I have the same thing on the inserts on mine, except it is on 1,2,3 & 4 goal as well as the magnagoal insert by the left flipper. I can see the "circles" around the cities, when I reflect light on the playfield. One of the goal inserts surrounding bit of red has come off. I'm not familiar with playfield repair but was thinking of mylar, but I don't think it will last. Vid's guide thread has so much information here on pinside, but is hard to sort thru for the novice. I am thinking the ultimate fix is sending the PF to someone to do minor touchup and then clearcoat it.

#1595 5 years ago

My proto playfield has a lot of this. MANY of the inserts have cracks around them, and a few of the larger ones (like the large 'GOAL') are warped.

However, I'm going the 'easy' route, and will be sending it off to get touched up and clearcoated.

#1596 5 years ago

Coyote, anyone you have used before or can recommend for clearcoat/repair?

Quoted from Coyote:

My proto playfield has a lot of this. MANY of the inserts have cracks around them, and a few of the larger ones (like the large 'GOAL') are warped.
However, I'm going the 'easy' route, and will be sending it off to get touched up and clearcoated.

#1597 5 years ago

Just joined the club tonight!!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#1598 5 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

nutes Ago Post #1597 ¶QuoteReportIgnore
Just joined the club tonight!!

Congrats - Nice looking game!

#1599 5 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Just joined the club tonight!!image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Hope you enjoy it for years to come. Pretty straight forward ruleset but positively one of the funnest machines ever!
"the shot is G-O-O-D!!!

#1600 5 years ago
Quoted from louvnj:

Coyote, anyone you have used before or can recommend for clearcoat/repair?

Right now Chris Hutchins is doing my TZ, because my TZ is my baby, and I've worked with Chris before. (CV Neons..). Once I get a WCS next to my TZ, my proto playfield will be sent out to Neo - who I've already spoken to - as it needs some serious sanding and insert touchup only.

IMHO, You'll get best results from Chris, but price will be higher and time will be longer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.00
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Machine - For Sale
Bellmore, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ashland, OH
$ 37.50
There are 6045 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 121.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside