(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,491 posts
  • 740 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Phoerber
  • Topic is favorited by 272 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wcs2 (resized).jpg
wcs3 (resized).jpg
wcs1 (resized).jpg
20240414_122747 (resized).jpg
IMG_8610 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6904 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6900 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5058 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
There are 8,491 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 170.
#1201 9 years ago
Quoted from dar8dar:

just got some powder coated items back today waiting on the rest 2 or 3 more days should look good.

For your WCS?

#1203 9 years ago

Looking for the speaker panel if anyone knows someone that is parting a machine or has a spare one. Or if anyone is generous enough to scan theirs that would be awesome.

#1204 9 years ago

Pictures! Want to check it out. Thanks

#1205 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Pictures! Want to check it out. Thanks

when I get everything installed i with post pics.

#1206 9 years ago

This has to be the worst game to try and restore. Part's like plastics and much more just do not exist. I have found a few new ramps and thing but for the most part. Rough

#1207 9 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

This has to be the worst game to try and restore. Part's like plastics and much more just do not exist. I have found a few new ramps and thing but for the most part. Rough

I'm waiting on ONE decal from Australia to be able to finish mine.....it's taken forever, but will be with it....I can't get the damn flag decals that go on the sides of the ramps to lay flat, though...seems like the originals were wrinkled, too....not that bad, but geesh......

#1208 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm waiting on ONE decal from Australia to be able to finish mine.....it's taken forever, but will be with it....I can't get the damn flag decals that go on the sides of the ramps to lay flat, though...seems like the originals were wrinkled, too....not that bad, but geesh......

Well,

I need cabinet decals that seem not to exist. This game is a tough to redo. I guess I am going to have to redo the cabinet decals myself then print my own off. 

#1209 9 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Well,
I need cabinet decals that seem not to exist. This game is a tough to redo. I guess I am going to have to redo the cabinet decals myself then print my own off. 

Yikes!!!.....mine is just a ramp decal......good luck!!!....

#1210 9 years ago

Stinkin love the game though, so it's going to be worth it.....amazing how popular this title is, without being an "A" list game.....rare to hear someone post negative on this one......

#1211 9 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Part's like plastics and much more just do not exist.

I've been waiting for plastics to become available for a while too. If anyone knows of any please tell me/us!!

#1212 9 years ago

hey guys, if you like football (soccer) Championship League new season starts tonight! you can even play fantasy league on UEFA site. Sorry to barge in like this, this pin seems fantastic, I see it as a poor mans TOTAN - similar ramp and magnet placement, instead of lamp there is a rotating ball (ok, it a bit up and to the right) and instead of genie it is the goal with goalkeeper, and with better rules, and fit for tournament play, even similar wizard modes in the end. I only have two pet peeves about it:

1. it's goalkeeper, not goalie. maybe someone could correct it in a future home ROM? Goalie is for hockey, goalkeeper or even goalman (in non-English European countries) is correct for football (soccer). I know that Brits say telly for TV, footie for soccer, but never hear anyone say goalie. Kind of ruins suspense of disbelief for me.

2. It's England, not Great Britain. In soccer (and I suspect in all other team sports) they compete separately as England, Scotland and Wales of which England is regular qualified competitor in all high level tournaments since forever.

#1213 9 years ago

Right on both criticism counts, though I would think that "keeper" would suffice for the goalkeeper. I think the errors reflect the state of "soccer" in the US in 1994 (OK, and our woeful grasp of world geography). Thankfully we've progressed a bit since then in our participation and knowledge (though our kids still don't play much pick-up soccer, so we're unlikely to compete at the highest level for a few more men's World Cups).

After raising a boy and girl to both play, EPL, Champions League, and international soccer are about 90% of the sports my wife and I watch on TV. The appreciation of the game comes from watching the kids progress over the years; the entertainment of professional soccer comes from the incredible skill and the players' personalities. (Really, Suarez? You need intervention? Again?! Maybe Barcelona can fix you.)

Oh, and I grew up playing American football...sigh. I can chase soccer balls happily into my sixties, but old football players are pretty much stuck with jogging for exercise (or playing adult soccer poorly like I do).

#1214 9 years ago

What sort of legal "stuff" surrounds making repro plastics to sell? I've been thinking of doing some, but I don't want to get into any trouble...

#1215 9 years ago

CPR has made repro plastic sets in the past. I'd recommend calling Rick at PPS, who holds the license, and telling him that you'd be interested in a re-run. I called about one of the few IPB sets that PPS was selling (of course, 20 minutes after the post wasn't quick enough) and Rick mentioned that with all the interest he received over the couple of sets he was selling he might suggest a re-run to CPR.

#1216 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

What sort of legal "stuff" surrounds making repro plastics to sell? I've been thinking of doing some, but I don't want to get into any trouble...

You have to show Rick @ Planetary that you are capable of paying him a chunk of your revenue in order to have the honor of being granted a license to the B\W art. If there is an additional licensee (for non-original themes), then you have to work that out too. I'd imagine someone (US Soccer?) still owns a copyright on the World Cup '94 flag logo as well as Striker (the dog). The rest of the art is probably still owned by B\W and, thus, licensed through Rick.

In this case though, I'm guessing CPR still has the license and artwork. They've been rumored to have a WCS rerun in their pipeline for quite a while. I'd guess that CPR will release plastics about the same time Pinball Inc releases WCS ramps.

#1217 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

You have to show Rick @ Planetary that you are capable of paying him a chunk of your revenue in order to have the honor of being granted a license to the B\W art. If there is an additional licensee (for non-original themes), then you have to work that out too. I'd imagine someone (US Soccer?) still owns a copyright on the World Cup '94 flag logo as well as Striker (the dog). The rest of the art is probably still owned by B\W and, thus, licensed through Rick.
In this case though, I'm guessing CPR still has the license and artwork. They've been rumored to have a WCS rerun in their pipeline for quite a while. I'd guess that CPR will release plastics about the same time Pinball Inc releases WCS ramps.

Gotcha - thanks for the info!

#1218 9 years ago

Bought this a couple of weeks ago. My first game. Did a fairly lengthy teardown to install Cliffys and clean the play field. Everything is back together and working great!

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior... if not, I'd love advice on how to fix it. Since I finished putting the game back together, when I make a solid left ramp shot with the diverter to the right, the ball loops around to the left (as expected) goes under the roll-under (as expected) hits the piece of metal over the hole (as expected), but then ends up rolling pretty strongly backwards, down through the hole, down to the lower ramp, and then backwards a ways before gravity finally pulls it the other way toward the ball lock.

Is this normal? If not, ideas on how to remedy it? Thanks for the help!

#1219 9 years ago

I don't know if it's normal but I've heard of it before and my game does the same. If I remember correctly
it's even discussed in this thread. I think it's kinda cool but it has caused me to miss the multi ball restart because
the ball took too long to get to the lock magnet.

#1220 9 years ago

Fwiw, Rick at PPS mentioned that repro cab decals are in the works after they get the ones for Indy 500 done. So this means they will probably be out in 2016 or so.....

#1221 9 years ago
Quoted from Inspector42:

Bought this a couple of weeks ago. My first game. Did a fairly lengthy teardown to install Cliffys and clean the play field. Everything is back together and working great!
I'm not sure if this is normal behavior... if not, I'd love advice on how to fix it. Since I finished putting the game back together, when I make a solid left ramp shot with the diverter to the right, the ball loops around to the left (as expected) goes under the roll-under (as expected) hits the piece of metal over the hole (as expected), but then ends up rolling pretty strongly backwards, down through the hole, down to the lower ramp, and then backwards a ways before gravity finally pulls it the other way toward the ball lock.
Is this normal? If not, ideas on how to remedy it? Thanks for the help!

yes this is normal behavior. mine did it too

#1222 9 years ago

I'm hyped! that mine will live in a sports bar within about 1 months time!!
Video about the location when it happens!

#1223 9 years ago

okay wcs 94 powder coating done

image-98.jpgimage-98.jpg
image-939.jpgimage-939.jpg

image-563.jpgimage-563.jpg

and now game room is complete
image-708.jpgimage-708.jpg

#1224 9 years ago
Quoted from dar8dar:

okay wcs 94 powder coating done
and now game room is complete

I will be honest, I saw your post of the rails and legs off in your previous post on page 24 and had my doubts, but that powder coating looks super cool! A bold pick of colors paid off!

I just talked with a local place to do some powder coating. Can I ask if you went local or shipped them out to get done?

You have a very nice game room indeed.

#1225 9 years ago

4 games were done by a friend in his garage.
the flintstones was done by a guy that does this for a living
and thanks they look even better in person hard to take decent pictures

#1226 9 years ago
Quoted from dar8dar:

4 games were done by a friend in his garage.
the Flintstones was done by a guy that does this for a living
and thanks they look even better in person hard to take decent pictures

Your friend has talent for sure. Enjoy.

#1227 9 years ago

Hey guys - question!

A local pinhead friend of mine found a dirty WCS94 that he's going to grab. He already owns one, so he gave me a call and said I could buy it if I wanted it. However, he said the playfield is really dirty and the ramps need a good Novus 2. According to him, the goalie works, and the soccer ball (while dirty and worn out) works fine. He also said the right flipper seems a little weak and will either need a rebuild or adjustments. Once he gets the game, I'm going to go by his place. As long as it isn't going to cost too much to get back up to pristine condition, I'm going to take it off his hands. He knows that it will take SOME work, but he nor I have a good feel for exactly how much.

This is where you guys come in! What sort of things do I need to look for? If it's only going to run me $200-300, I'm fine with that given the asking price. However, if I'm going to spending $500+ on parts, it's not worth it to me. I'll have to do a complete tear down and cleaning job...I'm not TOO worried about that as I was able to at least manage with installing the Eli kit on a TRON. So I should be able to get things at least taken apart and put back together.

What parts should I investigate? Which parts are going to be expensive? What can/cannot be found?

Thanks guys! Hopefully, I'll be a member of the club next week!

#1228 9 years ago

The ball is available at Marco for $50.
Plastics are nearly impossible to find (CPR is rumored to be rerunning them)
Ramps are in the pipeline @ Pinball Inc as one of their last five games before Starship takes over.

I've spent ~$300 so far on plastics (yeah, I actually found a set from the first CPR run), ball, a used apron and shooter gauge, and replacements for nearly any other plastic\rubber piece on the playfield (pop caps, lane guides, star posts, eject shields, light domes, etc.) I'm waiting for ramps to start my shop job.

I went a bit overboard and could have settled on keeping it as a "players" game and just spent some money on a new spinning ball and repaired my current ramps. That and normal shop out stuff (rubber, balls, etc) would easily be under $100.

#1229 9 years ago

From what my friend told me, the ramps are good just worn. A good cleaning should fix them up. The plastics are what I'm most worried about...However, I COULD just print my own and save money if it came to that.

And a flipper rebuild. I've never done it, but I've heard it can be a bear.

#1230 9 years ago

As pinlynx said, the ball is $50 from Marco. I'd recommend getting a new ball as it makes a huge difference over a really worn one.

If you don't want to do a flipper rebuild, you can buy a fully built flipper assembly from Pinball Life: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=172 $40 isn't as cheap as a rebuild kit but it's not too bad.

The plastics are a bear to find and install. If they're decent I'd recommend not messing with them. I'm in the middle of a shop out/plastic replacement and it's taken a lot longer than I expected. Part of that, though, was that I didn't have a riveter.

#1231 9 years ago

Thanks - if everything is good, I'll probably just buy the extra ball rather than trying to salvage the one that's on there. I wouldn't MIND learning to do a full rebuild, and if it's going to cut costs down significantly...But if the cost difference is small, I may go that route. I won't really know until I boot the game and play it. It seems like the kind of game where weak flippers would REALLY hurt the overall experience.

#1232 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

It seems like the kind of game where weak flippers would REALLY hurt the overall experience.

You're right; flipper strength has to be sufficient to get the ball up the ramps and to hit the goal from either flipper.

#1233 9 years ago

Just picked up mine on the weekend (this is the 3rd time I've owned this title)...excellent game that just can't leave my collection permanently.

Seems like every time I own it I learn something else that I like about it. Right now it's the 'family friendly' theme...now that my kids are starting to enjoy playing pinball this theme and art package really draws them in!

#1234 9 years ago
Quoted from hippochrome:

Just picked up mine on the weekend (this is the 3rd time I've owned this title)...excellent game that just can't leave my collection permanently.
Seems like every time I own it I learn something else that I like about it. Right now it's the 'family friendly' theme...now that my kids are starting to enjoy playing pinball this theme and art package really draws them in!

After playing my NIB IM, with intense, fast gameplay, for the past month, I went back to playing WCS and I appreciate it more and more. The game is a great break from a game like IM because WCS is just plain old FUN!

#1235 9 years ago

Haven't played WCS much lately. Machine must have appreciated the attention. Made it to the World Cup final twice for the first time ever! Felt like I couldn't miss a shot.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#1236 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

After playing my NIB IM, with intense, fast gameplay, for the past month, I went back to playing WCS and I appreciate it more and more. The game is a great break from a game like IM because WCS is just plain old FUN!

Couldn't agree more!!!....It's amazing how "comfortable" the machine is to just play and enjoy....

#1237 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

Haven't played WCS much lately. Machine must have appreciated the attention. Made it to the World Cup final twice for the first time ever! Felt like I couldn't miss a shot.

image.jpg 208 KB

Amazing score! Double my best!!

#1238 9 years ago

Ok guys, have a small issue with mine I recently noticed.

Sometimes, but not always, as shot to the goal is awarding the Striker award. Any tips on what I should look at first?

This machine was SUPER clean when I got it (huge props to pinwillie!), the nicest I have ever seen. Because of that I have not done much tinkering on it and haven't looked under the playfield too closely.

#1239 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Ok guys, have a small issue with mine I recently noticed.
Sometimes, but not always, as shot to the goal is awarding the Striker award. Any tips on what I should look at first?
This machine was SUPER clean when I got it (huge props to pinwillie!), the nicest I have ever seen. Because of that I have not done much tinkering on it and haven't looked under the playfield too closely.

I was told that the first shot on goal will also award striker. Believe it was in this thread. If true then that is how the game should play.

#1240 9 years ago

Ahhhhhh that would be great news as it means I don't need to fix it. I will monitor it more closely.

#1241 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

image.jpg 208 KB

on location or your personal game?

#1242 9 years ago

I think I've made it to Los Angeles once on location in my life. This was at home. Second EB from Washington DC really helped
Be lucky to get 500,000,000 on location. Can't wait to try though.

#1243 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

I think I've made it to Los Angeles once on location in my life. This was at home. Second EB from Washington DC really helped
Be lucky to get 500,000,000 on location. Can't wait to try though.

It plays pretty nice from the few games I have put on it. New soccer ball and superbands make it play pretty fun/wild.

I hope to get out there tonight and play a few games. I also need to take RES off a slot on trek as I am told he has all high scores.

#1244 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I was told that the first shot on goal will also award striker. Believe it was in this thread. If true then that is how the game should play.

More accurately, I think the first shot on goal when "Goal" isn't lit will award a Striker Award. Also, if the opto between the goal trough and the striker hole isn't functioning properly, the ball will trigger the striker hole optos without triggering the goal opto and goals won't be counted, but will register as Striker Awards.

So, depending on exactly how it is happening, it could be proper or a fault.

#1245 9 years ago
Quoted from Pacer:

More accurately, I think the first shot on goal when "Goal" isn't lit will award a Striker Award. Also, if the opto between the goal trough and the striker hole isn't functioning properly, the ball will trigger the striker hole optos without triggering the goal opto and goals won't be counted, but will register as Striker Awards.
So, depending on exactly how it is happening, it could be proper or a fault.

Thanks for the further clarification, I was the one who wondered if I had a problem.

I plan to go home and pay further attention, didn't realize that the goal was supposed to award "striker" at all. Like I said it only happens sometimes, and since I play multiple games in a row usually, I probably haven't paid close enough attention that there is a good chance that it happens once per game as designed.

I will say that the goal is scored every time when lit, and when it's not lit I get the correct video on the DMD and I have no problems with that.

#1246 9 years ago

Has anyone put a ColorDMD Sigma in this game? I know they are expensive, but man....look great in my other games....been debating on this one next, and just curious ....thanks....mark

#1247 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Has anyone put a ColorDMD Sigma in this game? I know they are expensive, but man....look great in my other games....been debating on this one next, and just curious ....thanks....mark

Really hoping/dreading they do a Color DMD version of the game. Would look great, but my wallet was hoping to get a break after buying one for IJ!

#1248 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Thanks for the further clarification, I was the one who wondered if I had a problem.
I plan to go home and pay further attention, didn't realize that the goal was supposed to award "striker" at all. Like I said it only happens sometimes, and since I play multiple games in a row usually, I probably haven't paid close enough attention that there is a good chance that it happens once per game as designed.
I will say that the goal is scored every time when lit, and when it's not lit I get the correct video on the DMD and I have no problems with that.

From my experience, it's the FIRST Striker award that is awarded through the goal after you have scored your first goal. Subsequent Striker awards can only be achieved through the hideout. In fact, any time I start a game the first two shots I make are to the goal. The first to score a goal (actually I shoot it just to stop the ball from spinning) and the second to get the Striker award.

There is another Striker quirk... If you haven't had your first multiball, Striker will always award a multiball when Hideout is lit during ball three. This is important since Hideout is so much easier to hit than the Final Draw scoop.

And yes, that is a great score Ken. Almost double mine as well. The trick to scoring big in this game is obviously advancing the cities to get to the World Cup. In my experience with WCS94 the right ramp is very difficult. Also dangerous. If you miss it's either off the post and in your face or part way up the ramp leading to SDTM. It's for this reason that I live in the left orbit (Travel lane). Since you can engage a city by lighting the two bonus lanes at the top above the bumpers (and frequently re-enter the lanes from pot bumpers) it's a great way to advance. I have lit three cities in one shot up there by the ball re-entering the bonus lanes a bunch of times from the pots. I usually hit this orbit by back handing off my left flipper. When the ball is trapped on the left flipper I give it a tiny flip to get it rolling up the flipper and then backhand near the tip. It's actually surprising how natural and relatively easy this shot is. Also it's way safer than the right flipper shot to Travel since it doesn't have as much speed and if it does hit a post it's not back in your face.

#1249 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I figured it would be years before the ColorDMD guys got around to WCS94 so I replaced my DMD with a color LCD using the DMD Extender board from Dr Pinball. I believe someone else here has done it as well. Here's a link to a video of mine. The colors are a bit washed out looking in the vid. Much more vibrant in person:

Total cost is about $265.00 in parts and 30-60 minutes in labor. Not quite as nice as the ColorDMD but I'm happy with it.

#1250 9 years ago

In the midst of my shop out, I've found that I have no wires running to the flasher on top of the goal. Where does this flasher tie-in to the rest of the game? To which wires does it connect? Also, where do the wires for this flasher come up through the playfield?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,491 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 170.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.