(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,475 posts
  • 739 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by stompeN
  • Topic is favorited by 272 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6904 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6900 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5058 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
diverter assembly world cup (resized).png
Screenshot_20240206-183630 (resized).png
PXL_20240206_021502397~3 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240206_021438171 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240206_021337603~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2156 (resized).jpeg
20240126_183106~2 (resized).jpg

There are 8,475 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 170.
#7201 2 years ago
Quoted from CrabbyPatty:

Howdy, got a question. So I am nearing the end of my wcs major restoration and I can't find any definitive idea on how thick the washers need to be between the soccer ball motor mount and the motor. Any one help clue me in?
[quoted image]

I've not had my WCS apart in years but the gear on that shaft looks stripped/shot. I don't think adding more washers is going to help. Yep.. see this post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-ball-squealwhine-noise#post-5916270

I'd bet the gearbox is toast too if the drive gear looks like that. Though sometimes they make the drive gear out of a softer metal so that it wears rather than the box. I believe you can access the gears if you remove the mounting plate and access from the "top" side.

#7202 2 years ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I've not had my WCS apart in years but the gear on that shaft looks stripped/shot. I don't think adding more washers is going to help. Yep.. see this post.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-ball-squealwhine-noise#post-5916270
I'd bet the gearbox is toast too if the drive gear looks like that. Though sometimes they make the drive gear out of a softer metal so that it wears rather than the box. I believe you can access the gears if you remove the mounting plate and access from the "top" side.

And in any event--the gearbox and the motor are sold as one assembly. If you end up replacing one with new part, you've bought the other.

#7203 2 years ago

bakerhillpins @Kevlar51

I think that is a good idea, I have replaced 80% of the parts at this point. Might as well replace a high wear part while it's easy. Thx for the suggestions!

#7204 2 years ago

New owner here! So far I’ve only had system 3s (rescue 911/ gladiators), excited to have my first WPC!

My 3.5 absolutely loves the table too. Helping to plant the seed

05496050-9C02-47D2-A101-7B34318E6409 (resized).jpeg05496050-9C02-47D2-A101-7B34318E6409 (resized).jpeg
#7205 2 years ago

Just joined the club. I like my games to be bright. Should I get pinstadium, led lights, or both?

#7206 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Just joined the club. I like my games to be bright. Should I get pinstadium, led lights, or both?

Both.

#7207 2 years ago

I'm a fan of thoses stamps on the playfield.

DSC_4394 (resized).JPGDSC_4394 (resized).JPGDSC_4395 (resized).JPGDSC_4395 (resized).JPG
#7208 2 years ago

Has anyone gotten their legs & rails paint dipped? There are some killer looks and it's less than custom powder coating.

#7209 2 years ago

Hey guys!

Does anyone know what the part number would be for the metal piece that goes here.

Old owner has a long screw in here to help the ball from getting stuck in the edge of the spinning soccer ball. It’s relatively effective, but looking to see if I can find the original piece

Or if someone has a better pic of it, that would be helpful! Could try to fabricate one

47F3292D-5709-4EC0-AE44-EA0D1C1ACD00 (resized).jpeg47F3292D-5709-4EC0-AE44-EA0D1C1ACD00 (resized).jpeg
#7210 2 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJedi084:

Hey guys!
Does anyone know what the part number would be for the metal piece that goes here.
Old owner has a long screw in here to help the ball from getting stuck in the edge of the spinning soccer ball. It’s relatively effective, but looking to see if I can find the original piece
Or if someone has a better pic of it, that would be helpful! Could try to fabricate one
[quoted image]

I believe this is the part you are referring to.

20220119_185347 (resized).jpg20220119_185347 (resized).jpg20220119_185351 (resized).jpg20220119_185351 (resized).jpg
#7211 2 years ago
Quoted from CrabbyPatty:

I believe this is the part you are referring to.[quoted image][quoted image]

yep- that’s the one! Thanks

Haven’t been able to find anything on Marcos that looks like it would match, and don’t see anything about that bracket in the manual…

So may have to get a bit creative!

#7212 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Nobody has suggestions for me here? While I still have this problem I did add a trophy next to the final draw hole
[quoted image]

You went for a much smaller trophy than I. I printed a small one first (probably still larger than what you have) to see what I thought and felt there was more space there to fill. Looks cool though.

Quoted from allsportdvd:

I bought a PVC one, would like to see what you printed out...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome/page/141#post-6520697

#7213 2 years ago

yep- that’s the one! Thanks
Haven’t been able to find anything on Marcos that looks like it would match, and don’t see anything about that bracket in the manual…
So may have to get a bit creative!

I got the ramp from starship fantasy, maybe shoot them an email. Might be worth a shot.

#7214 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Check out Cary Hardys review of wcs on youtube, He has pinstadiums in his. Might help you decide

#7215 2 years ago
Quoted from CrabbyPatty:

I got the ramp from starship fantasy, maybe shoot them an email. Might be worth a shot.

Thanks!

#7216 2 years ago

ColorDMD in- really makes the animations pop…and such an easy install!

90E9ED00-0E38-4B0D-A606-288B888E65EA (resized).jpeg90E9ED00-0E38-4B0D-A606-288B888E65EA (resized).jpeg

B9D7EE6D-6163-474C-B8B2-8030CE6C8D66 (resized).jpegB9D7EE6D-6163-474C-B8B2-8030CE6C8D66 (resized).jpeg
#7217 2 years ago

ColorDMD in- really makes the animations pop…and such an easy install!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Cool I got the LED version and I think you have the LCD. I think I like your version better as I can see a lot of dots on mine and none on yours.

#7218 2 years ago

Added LEDs to mine today really pops

2C65625E-1B46-40EA-B53F-D46A7F964ABD (resized).jpeg2C65625E-1B46-40EA-B53F-D46A7F964ABD (resized).jpeg
#7219 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Cool I got the LED version and I think you have the LCD. I think I like your version better as I can see a lot of dots on mine and none on yours.

I have their LED version on my gladiators, it’s awesome too. Really can’t go wrong with either!

Figured id give the LCD a shot this time around. Nice little benefit is the handful of styles you could use, I like the hires (pics before) and the dotsXL (attached)

Nice to mix it up once and a while

EB5DFBF1-BDB1-4E3D-A9C7-D926A8406E2F (resized).jpegEB5DFBF1-BDB1-4E3D-A9C7-D926A8406E2F (resized).jpeg
#7220 2 years ago

You guys got me longing for my resto to be finished, 10 days on powder coating and maybe 2 weeks beyond that before I am done.....

#7221 2 years ago
Quoted from CrabbyPatty:

You guys got me longing for my resto to be finished, 10 days on powder coating and maybe 2 weeks beyond that before I am done.....

Nice! What color scheme did you end up going with?

I helped a buddy together a big oven from this kit, gonna venture out to his place this spring to redo a few trim pieces. I’m thinking of that teal or something bold for the legs. So many cool powders out there!

#7222 2 years ago

Nice! What color scheme did you end up going with?
I helped a buddy together a big oven from this kit, gonna venture out to his place this spring to redo a few trim pieces. I’m thinking of that teal or something bold for the legs. So many cool powders out there!

I actually ended up deciding not to do the legs or lock bar I am doing all the metal parts on the playfield Illusion purple. wireform and coin toss and most of the visible metal. I may reget not doing all of it not sure yet!

#7223 2 years ago
Quoted from CrabbyPatty:

I actually ended up deciding not to do the legs or lock bar I am doing all the metal parts on the playfield Illusion purple. wireform and coin toss and most of the visible metal. I may reget not doing all of it not sure yet!

Look forward to the pics!

On a side note, finally got all the last bits of mine all cleaned up (just pending spotlight kit from comet). After I cleaned the upper kicker, I went from balls being too weak to too hard now

Any of my free kicks now come out pretty forcefully, and bounce right back out of the goal. I'm thinking maybe the arm needs an adjustment, maybe its too head on? But looking to see if anyone else has recommendations. Searching usually was yielding the opposite (too weak)

#7224 2 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

There's only one grail right?

Wow, I didn't realize I ghosted this thread for...8 months.

I feel like once you get your grail...you just move on to the next one. For me, I always had Tron/Metallica/WCS as "grails" but I never would have even imagined being able to buy one modern, let alone multiples. I guess trading around 30 pins in 2 years helped me to get there because I ended up getting both Tron/Met along with WCS and somehow landed a Black Knight Sword of Rage (getting traded this weekend for a LOTR) as well. For the constrained budget I have, I'm pleased with that.

So, back to WCS.. Mine is super gross dirty and at least one of my center skillshot stickers is..chipped. I feel kinda guilty about how dirty it is, but stripping WCS just looks...awful. How bad is it, really? I'm currently in the middle of a Bad Cats (topside already torn down, I'm just going slow because my shop is cold AF right now) and two Mata Hari hardtops, plus the Eight Ball Deluxe project from hell (but hopefully I'm almost through). Anyway, lots on the plate right now but I should do SOME kind of cleaning on WCS because dirt is really getting ground into this thing. Is it even remotely possible to do much cleaning without stripping the entire topside? If I can do at least some of it, I can wait until I wrap up some of this other stuff. That's my goal.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/world-cup-soccer/9379/insert-decal-set-for-world-cup-soccer

Are these available anywhere else...like, anywhere that ships to USA? I've looked around but can't seem to find anything. I assume I'm going to need one of those at some point. My thought is that if I can wait to fully strip this thing down I can buff it, touch it up, put new stickers down (where necessary), and then clear..results will be better than if I just strip it, clean it, and reassemble. I dunno. I still have about $800 in parts to brass (wireforms, skillshot, hinges, trim, etc) as well. Then I need to clean up the parts I did install (siderails, lock bar, legs) because they're a bit....mucky now. So, I can certainly occupy plenty of time doing other things while this is torn down in order to clearcoat a playfield. Just makes the most sense to me to do it all *once* if WCS is a real nightmare to tear down, like it appears to be.

20220125_104410 (resized).jpg20220125_104410 (resized).jpg20220125_104432 (resized).jpg20220125_104432 (resized).jpg20220125_104437 (resized).jpg20220125_104437 (resized).jpg20220125_104442 (resized).jpg20220125_104442 (resized).jpg20220125_104456 (resized).jpg20220125_104456 (resized).jpg
#7225 2 years ago

Getting the ramps out is the hardest part, but they come out intuitively. Once they are out, everything is accessible. Make sure you leave the set screw in the diverter post, as you want it lined up perfectly when you reinsert it. Also, don't lose the little c clip for it. The ramp signs are on molex connectors, and unplug for easily getting them through the playfield.

The first time I did WCS, it was a full afternoon job; now, I could probably do it in 2-3 hours.

#7226 2 years ago

Hello just got the game and have a few questions. Is anyone selling a mod of the soccer ball that goes over the speakers? Where can I get the topper from this picture? Also, after I lose 3 balls during the game, it gives me an option to continue the game by pressing extra ball button. Do most people turn this feature off? I feel like you can beat the game by just pressing extra balls the whole time? Thanks

78B54052-EFBB-4D03-B16F-8422525968D4 (resized).jpeg78B54052-EFBB-4D03-B16F-8422525968D4 (resized).jpeg
#7227 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Where can I get the topper from this picture?

Picked one up at Planetary recently.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-1925-18-SP

#7228 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hello just got the game and have a few questions. Is anyone selling a mod of the soccer ball that goes over the speakers? Where can I get the topper from this picture? Also, after I lose 3 balls during the game, it gives me an option to continue the game by pressing extra ball button. Do most people turn this feature off? I feel like you can beat the game by just pressing extra balls the whole time? Thanks
[quoted image]

Iirc there's a limit to how many times you can do it, and your scores won't go to the main leader board if you press it even once.

#7229 2 years ago

After months of work I am almost done. Very happy with the result! Now I just have one error left that disappeared for a while but now came back. Check diverter. I know this topic has been discussed before so I will take some time later to read all the posts. However. The pinball was non working when I got it. Now I have:

New decals
Powder coated parts
Pinsound & shaker
New ramps
Many other replaced parts

I just uploaded my remastered sound pack to pinsound if someone wants it.

So thank you everyone here for inspiration and help!

I have posted some on my page found at https://www.planet4.se/ if you want to read more.
IMG_20220126_134108 (resized).jpgIMG_20220126_134108 (resized).jpg

#7230 2 years ago
Quoted from planet4:

After months of work I am almost done. Very happy with the result! Now I just have one error left that disappeared for a while but now came back. Check diverter. I know this topic has been discussed before so I will take some time later to read all the posts. However. The pinball was non working when I got it. Now I have:
New decals
Powder coated parts
Pinsound & shaker
New ramps
I have posted some on my page found at https://www.planet4.se/ if you want to read more.
[quoted image]

What happened to the soccer ball speaker grills?

#7231 2 years ago
Quoted from planet4:

New decals
Powder coated parts
Pinsound & shaker
New ramps
[quoted image]

Nice work! Who did you purchase you cabinet decals from?

#7232 2 years ago
Quoted from planet4:

Nice! What kind of music did you use?

#7233 2 years ago

bakerhillpins I bought them from Ministryofpinball (Netherlands). I have seen some decals with poor black quality and even though I think they look great I do feel they could be even more black.

Stebel I did try but one of the speakers did not turn out very nice so I had to redo it. And then both looked like crap. Will make another try later. I used paper as a stencil and it was not good.

scootss I have used the official Swedish WC 1994 song. It is almost our national soccer song since we came third back in -94. One fun detail is that my neighbor is the goalie in the 1994 troop who made the final save and he is supposed to come and try my pinball soon. And sign it.

#7234 2 years ago

Anybody an idea how I can get rid of this broken /glued screw in this assembly?

Thanks

DSC_4411 (resized).JPGDSC_4411 (resized).JPG
#7235 2 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Anybody an idea how I can get rid of this broken /glued screw in this assembly?
Thanks
[quoted image]

Heat, liquid wrench, and patience.

#7236 2 years ago
Quoted from planet4:

New decals
Powder coated parts
Pinsound & shaker
New ramps
[quoted image]

Looking good and clean nice job!

#7237 2 years ago

Hello I bought comet led kit but I just have a few bulbs left and not sure where they go and was wondering if anyone can help me before contacting them? GI between top rollover lanes? GI extra flair? Left ramp flashers it gave me two bulbs and not sure where the other bulb goes as I only see one flasher that size under the ramp. Any advise on how to gain access to start button bulb? Twist it out or just pull? Not sure if I just need to use more force. TIA.

5D5759FF-343B-44B5-BFEA-09A0834BBDDF (resized).jpeg5D5759FF-343B-44B5-BFEA-09A0834BBDDF (resized).jpeg62753984-600C-42F7-83BD-F770185B9BAA (resized).jpeg62753984-600C-42F7-83BD-F770185B9BAA (resized).jpeg948EA357-0D21-4BB3-B152-3074DB3C2A98 (resized).jpeg948EA357-0D21-4BB3-B152-3074DB3C2A98 (resized).jpegF4DCEB23-0F7C-454F-8AD3-49F1B0ABD45A (resized).jpegF4DCEB23-0F7C-454F-8AD3-49F1B0ABD45A (resized).jpeg
#7238 2 years ago

The travel lanes up by the pops. Those plastic dividers have lights under them. Get to those under the playfield.

Left ramp flasher has a flasher underneath the ramp. Get to that under the playfield.

GI extra flare I assume is if you want to put color in the GI anywhere.

#7239 2 years ago

The teal bulbs work well under the lane dividers at the upper right by the Ultra Jets.
[EDIT]: ...which is right where the other bulbs they gave you go. So take your pick?

#7240 2 years ago

Hello. I’m trying to remove this piece but it’s not coming off easily. I removed the screw but having a hard time removing it. Is this thing glued on the machine?

25CAAC8C-6ED4-48FF-8242-03C7719E42A1 (resized).jpeg25CAAC8C-6ED4-48FF-8242-03C7719E42A1 (resized).jpeg
#7241 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hello. I’m trying to remove this piece but it’s not coming off easily. I removed the screw but having a hard time removing it. Is this thing glued on the machine?
[quoted image]

Adhesive underneath. Slightly heat it up and CAREFULLY put a metal paint scraper/putty knife under it to pull it loose. Go slow or you'll mess up the cab and/or the rails. Heat will help it loosen so don't be afraid to use it. If you just plan on throwing the rails out, you can pull harder obviously.

#7242 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Adhesive underneath. Slightly heat it up and CAREFULLY put a metal paint scraper/putty knife under it to pull it loose. Go slow or you'll mess up the cab and/or the rails. Heat will help it loosen so don't be afraid to use it. If you just plan on throwing the rails out, you can pull harder obviously.

I bought replacement side rails. You think I have to put adhesive again when I replace them or a single screw should be good?

#7243 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I bought replacement side rails. You think I have to put adhesive again when I replace them or a single screw should be good?

I swapped mine with brass rails, so when I pulled my originals (they were dented anyway) I said hell with it and destroyed them on the way out. Didn't care.

I think you want to use at least some amount of adhesive when you put new ones down, but the screw may be sufficient. I'm not entirely sure.

#7244 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

[quoted image]

Cary Hardy has a video how to.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+cary+hardy+side+rail&docid=607989274222205252&mid=832A3F3E13206AC13428832A3F3E13206AC13428&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

#7245 2 years ago

So, I am installing top side pop bumpers and a screw just broke off in the playfied. Any suggestions on how to safely remove it?

20220130_190841 (resized).jpg20220130_190841 (resized).jpg
#7247 2 years ago
Quoted from CrabbyPatty:

So, I am installing top side pop bumpers and a screw just broke off in the playfied. Any suggestions on how to safely remove it?
[quoted image]

Can you twist with needle nose pliers?

#7248 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Are these recommended to buy? ebay.com link: World Cup Soccer Pinball Hole Protector UThin Full Set WCS Pinball Protector

Not those. If you’re getting protectors, get Cliffys: http://www.passionforpinball.com/wcs94.htm

Generally speaking, home use games don’t really need them unless you’re covering up existing wear (and a game from 1994 is likely to have it). Games on route will benefit from the added protection.

#7249 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Are these recommended to buy? ebay.com link: World Cup Soccer Pinball Hole Protector UThin Full Set WCS Pinball Protector

Not recommended at all. Simply put Mylar in all those locations.

The gameplay will suffer with those metal protectors on the saucers and scoop.

#7250 2 years ago
Quoted from CrabbyPatty:

[quoted image]

The concerns here are many. I'm assuming there's some screw above the PF surface. But even with that you're in for a fight. The screw is small so there's not much actual screw to work with and it's in there tight enough to break the shaft as well. You'll probably get one chance at an alternate extraction method before you're hosed and have to "dig" it out. If you can't grab it with needle nose pliers as Kevlar51 suggests (or a small pair of vice grips) you may be able to cut/grind it to help the process by providing a better surface to grab it with. But both of these options remove some of the screw so that's going to make it more fragile.

I've had success by cutting/grinding the shaft in the following 2 ways in the past. But with such a small screw diameter there's not much room to work with:

1. grind two flat spots on either side of screw (flat spots would be parallel to each other) with a Dremmel tool and then use the pliers/vice grips to grip on the flats and carefully back it out.
  2. cut/grind a small grove into the shaft of the screw with a Dremmel tool and then use a flat blade screwdriver to carefully back it out.

If you score the PF with the Dremmel it's not a huge issue as it's under the bumper. But I do understand the pain that would cause.

I'm interested to hear of other ideas as I'm probably missing some easier method.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
There are 8,475 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 170.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome/page/145 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.