(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,491 posts
  • 740 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Phoerber
  • Topic is favorited by 272 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wcs2 (resized).jpg
wcs3 (resized).jpg
wcs1 (resized).jpg
20240414_122747 (resized).jpg
IMG_8610 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6904 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6900 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5058 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
There are 8,491 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 170.
#6701 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also the opponent scores faster in WCF if you have fewer balls in play.

I have yet to confirm this on my machine. Germany seems to score on average 4-6 goals on me regardless of how many balls. I believe I have it on factory settings.

I tend to keep 3 balls in play usually during the big final.

#6702 3 years ago

So I sold my WCS today. So sad to see it go but only have room for 3 pins and the other two are keepers. WCS is such an amazing pin. I love the quick ball times and features. Always a challenge and the level of fun is exactly what pinball is all about. What is incredible is I played it a lot today since it would be gone at 4:00, and I made it to, and beat Germany! Which I hadn’t done in a few months and only beat them twice before. My goalie is like a wall and makes incredible save after incredible save.

If it can convince my wife to rearrange our basement I may be able to get a 4th pin and I would definitely buy this game again.

#6703 3 years ago

So I noticed that the new goalie plastic I installed a couple months ago is already broken It's at Pinball Garage; getting played a lot. I want to fix it for them and make it right, and have a spare plastic goalie, but I'm trying to figure out what others do to make this more robust (and figure out what I did wrong). When I worked on the game, it had no goalie plastic at all. I just installed the goalie plastic that came with the game plastic kit from Marco. At the time, I didn't notice that there is apparently a clear piece of plastic. Marco calls it "back plastic" linked here:(https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9134.1). Is this simply a piece to act as a strengthener that goes behind the actual goalie plastic? Is that 'the' thing to do to make it more robust, or is there a better solution?
Leebo

#6704 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

I have yet to confirm this on my machine. Germany seems to score on average 4-6 goals on me regardless of how many balls. I believe I have it on factory settings.
I tend to keep 3 balls in play usually during the big final.

I’ve won like 16-2 before and had 5 out there the whole time. Had a friend plunge them. Haha. I can’t remember the first time I heard that, but it seems accurate.

#6705 3 years ago

Put a new topper on it!! What do you think?

WCSTopper (resized).jpgWCSTopper (resized).jpg
#6706 3 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

So I noticed that the new goalie plastic I installed a couple months ago is already broken It's at Pinball Garage; getting played a lot. I want to fix it for them and make it right, and have a spare plastic goalie, but I'm trying to figure out what others do to make this more robust (and figure out what I did wrong). When I worked on the game, it had no goalie plastic at all. I just installed the goalie plastic that came with the game plastic kit from Marco. At the time, I didn't notice that there is apparently a clear piece of plastic. Marco calls it "back plastic" linked here:(https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9134.1). Is this simply a piece to act as a strengthener that goes behind the actual goalie plastic? Is that 'the' thing to do to make it more robust, or is there a better solution?
Leebo

You’ll need to find a way to get the original padded target or make one.

Also the issue with the assist saucer was 100% the cliffy. They cut it off and it works great now.

Also the other two cliffys have curled up already and affect the balls path in a bad way.

Another PSA to avoid cliffy saucer protectors. Mylar is the better choice on this game.

Game played great and looked great otherwise!

#6707 3 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Put a new topper on it!! What do you think?
[quoted image]

Touchdown? (wrong kind of football)

From the photos I've seen, the '94 World Cup referee uniforms were not black and white stripes (nor did they wear caps). Rather, they were black shorts with various color pattern white collar polo style shirts (the red ones were worn in the final).

Regardless, it's your pin and if you like it then do what you want and enjoy.
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#6708 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Touchdown?
From the photos I've seen, the '94 World Cup referee uniforms were not black and white stripes. Rather, they were black shorts with various color pattern white collar polo style shirts.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Be carefull what you say, it seems he has a gun pointed at his topper!

#6709 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Had a friend plunge them. Haha. I can’t remember the first time I heard that, but it seems accurate.

When I plunge all the balls.... I flip with right hand, and plunge with left hand crossed under my right arm. LOL. I look like an idiot.... but it works

#6710 3 years ago

That’s a good move too. If you’re on your game, that should create an infinite loop of goals.

#6711 3 years ago

So after moving all my ramps I’ve run into an issue where switch 71 (left ramp after the diverter) isn’t registering. I’m very much new at trying to figure out how to fix it. I assume it isn’t the physical switch since it worked before desoldering and re-soldering. But the connections seem solidly on the switch.

I can’t find any other switches not working. And, for what its worth, this switch doesn’t seem to really do much, the diverter and ball lock still work fine. Not even sure what it not registering matters other than the annoying credit dot.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

#6712 3 years ago

Are you sure it’s wired up properly? Does it register in test mode?

Next time there’s a connector under the playfield you can disconnect instead of desoldering the wires to the switch. Might as well check there too. That connector my be loose.

#6713 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are you sure it’s wired up properly? Does it register in test mode?
Next time there’s a connector under the playfield you can disconnect instead of desoldering the wires to the switch. Might as well check there too. That connector my be loose.

The ramps I bought had very small holes to feed the wires through. With the molex connectors on the underside there wasn’t really a way to do it I could figure out.

It doesn’t register in test mode. There is one connector both switches on the upper ramp and the right one is working. I guess maybe I should just desolder and re-solder and see if that fixes it by magic

#6714 3 years ago

It should be wired up just like the other ramp switches. Compare it with those.

#6715 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

When I plunge all the balls.... I flipper with right hand, and plunge with left hand crossed under my right arm. LOL. I look like an idiot.... but it works

Brilliant. I’m going to try that. Any chance to look like an idiot.

#6716 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’ll need to find a way to get the original padded target or make one.
Also the issue with the assist saucer was 100% the cliffy. They cut it off and it works great now.
Also the other two cliffys have curled up already and affect the balls path in a bad way.
Another PSA to avoid cliffy saucer protectors. Mylar is the better choice on this game.
Game played great and looked great otherwise!

Thanks for the feedback Erik. Man, I hate that they had to cut off the cliffy to make it work better; I really want to have a solid working game when I get done and something that lasts. But it sounds like for this game in particular, the cliffy's on the saucers just don't work too well. Lesson learned for sure. I'm loading up a Marco order now and a supply of Mylar is in the cart to have on hand in the future.

As for the goalie, I have some ideas to make the target repair more robust. Hopefully I can make it back up there soon for a work day and make some improvements.

#6717 3 years ago

Yeah I would try to somehow attach some padded foam to your other goalie plastic with some good epoxy or something.

For Mylar I buy it in huge rolls from here:

https://www.pinrestore.com/

I think cliffys are fine for home use for people anal about saucer and scoop edges, but they just get torn up on location.

#6718 3 years ago

Are the speakers in this pin wired for mono or stereo? Possibly adding a PinSound to my friends game, so need to know if stereo harness should be ordered to convert wiring if needed.

Oops, just stumbled on the answer - OEM is mono and requires stereo harness from what I see now.

#6719 3 years ago

Yep. I don’t think true stereo existed until JPP or spike stern.

#6720 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. I don’t think true stereo existed until JPP or spike stern.

Not sure what "JPP" is, but I thought Data East pins were stereo (at least the Jurassic Park I previously owned was).

#6721 3 years ago

JJP sorry. I don’t think data East was actual stereo. Just simulated.

#6722 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

JJP sorry. I don’t think data East was actual stereo. Just simulated.

So, looks like they referred to it as "Data East Digital Stereo". Also, I've seen posts that stated that DE Laser War was the first pin to have "stereo sound". Not real clear if this was true stereo or digitally simulated stereo, but either way I don't care enough to put any more time into figuring it out at this point.

#6723 3 years ago

So Ron Kruzman just listed this WCS NOS Playfield for sale and it is one I haven't seen come up for sale before. I figured someone here would probably want it to restore their machine.

https://pinballplayfieldskruzman.com/2021/03/18/world-cup-soccer-bally-nos-1500/

#6724 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

So Ron Kruzman just listed this WCS NOS Playfield for sale and it is one I haven't seen come up for sale before. I figured someone here would probably want it to restore their machine.
https://pinballplayfieldskruzman.com/2021/03/18/world-cup-soccer-bally-nos-1500/

It's a late sample/early production field, because of the two right-outer loop switches. But they don't have to be populated - this is good for anyone needing a PF.

#6725 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It's a late sample/early production field, because of the two right-outer loop switches. But they don't have to be populated - this is good for anyone needing a PF.

Oh wow, thanks for the info, that is even cooler to me. I wonder if those switches are in the code at all.

#6726 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

That should sell fast

#6727 3 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

That should sell fast

Yeah that was my thought as well, I'd love to get it myself but I just have so many projects right now that money, time, and space are all issues.

#6728 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Oh wow, thanks for the info, that is even cooler to me. I wonder if those switches are in the code at all.

They are, but they only aware a small bit of points. I believe that they would have been used to tell when a ball leaves the pop bumper area via that route, and a ball makes a complete loop. (I can see the game being a LOT more difficult if you don't actually travel to the next city UNLESS you make a complete loop. )

#6729 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So, looks like they referred to it as "Data East Digital Stereo". Also, I've seen posts that stated that DE Laser War was the first pin to have "stereo sound". Not real clear if this was true stereo or digitally simulated stereo, but either way I don't care enough to put any more time into figuring it out at this point.

Yeah. I don’t know the difference either. Just read a while back that digital stereo is different than stereo stereo. Haha

#6730 3 years ago

I gave the left hand plunge method a shot on Final Match yesterday. I only scored one goal!

#6731 3 years ago

Quoted from Kevlar51:I gave the left hand plunge method a shot on Final Match yesterday. I only scored one goal!

its an acquired skill

#6732 3 years ago

Well, my WCS friend has decided to acquire a PinSound board. Since I'm quite experienced with developing orchestrations, we'll be doing a custom one for this title. With that said, while he will make the ultimate decision as to what we include, I was wondering what most would consider good soccer tunes that would go well with the theme (I'm not into soccer at all)? We'll need a main title track and several other songs for various game play modes (I've not looked at the stock orchestration yet, so don't know exactly what is needed yet).

Anyway, please throw out your suggestions for good soccer themed/related songs for this pin. The one on the top of my head that I have heard is Seven Nation Army by White Stripes which might be good for the title track.

#6733 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Anyway, please throw out your suggestions for good soccer themed/related songs for this pin. The one on the top of my head that I have heard is Seven Nation Army by White Stripes which might be good for the title track.

Few suggestions off the top of my head....

For when you score a goal:

For when you win the Cup:

For when you have the ball locked and final draw is lit:

If this turns out good..... it might be the final push to get me to buy a pinsound

One thing that always bothered me about WC94 was that after you win the cup and the game is going batshit crazy, the crowd is cheering, the music is playing, the lights are going nuts.... and then............ it kicks out the ball to the shooter lane and then it goes quiet and right back to the starting music which kinda TOTALLY kills the mood and takes away all the excitement you just built up from winning.

#6734 3 years ago

im a soccer guy and all 3 are very good choices in the order specified.

#6736 3 years ago

If you create an orchestration with those three songs in it, plus many others, I'm buying a Pinsound for my World Cup. I have one in my Getaway and thanks to Mr_Tantrum, I have some great music mixes on it. It really enhances the game experience.

#6737 3 years ago

For better or worse, I will always associate Tubthumper by Chumbawumba with World Cup and vice versa, because it was featured heavily in World Cup 98 on Playstation

#6738 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Anyone else ever buy these? I just received mine and they don't fit. Notches are too close together. [quoted image][quoted image]

Mine fit ... with that said kinda messed up the goalie shot .

#6739 3 years ago

New Owner as of today.

Not liking old mylar.Thinking on removing all of it.
Then busting out my magic eraser and doing a complete top teardown.
Ordered Tiatan translucent and purple sleeves.

Man I hate that aging Mylar I'm imagining a perfect playfield underneath.

#6740 3 years ago

All - my machine is still doing something funny. Every time I set the lock, and a ball stays in the lock awaiting multiball, within just a few moments the game ends, and advances to the next player/ball.

I want to replace the fuses related to the lock to see if that helps. Does anyone know which fuses these would be?

#6741 3 years ago
Quoted from kdoggity:

All - my machine is still doing something funny. Every time I set the lock, and a ball stays in the lock awaiting multiball, within just a few moments the game ends, and advances to the next player/ball.
I want to replace the fuses related to the lock to see if that helps. Does anyone know which fuses these would be?

I don't think that will help, when you trigger that switch in test what does it say it is?

#6742 3 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I don't think that will help, when you trigger that switch in test what does it say it is?

No issues with the test.

00E91776-CCB2-4743-B458-86E88CFEE286 (resized).jpeg00E91776-CCB2-4743-B458-86E88CFEE286 (resized).jpeg
#6743 3 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

What else do you think it might be?

#6744 3 years ago
Quoted from kdoggity:

Could be the trough registering a ball drain with a faulty switch.

#6745 3 years ago
Quoted from kdoggity:

There are two switches there-- 77 and 76. Did you test both? I recommend checking in Switch Edges test mode, and run a ball down to make sure it's not touching both switches or is at least activating one and then the other.

#6746 3 years ago

Got a credit dot for switch 71. Anyone know what that is? It certainly doesn't seem to affect gameplay.

20210323_144631 (resized).jpg20210323_144631 (resized).jpg
#6747 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Got a credit dot for switch 71. Anyone know what that is? It certainly doesn't seem to affect gameplay.
[quoted image]

upper left-hand side of the ramps, right by soccer player's foot/ball (circular plastic) in your pic. It's just before the ball drops down to the lower ramp and rolls to the magnet

#6748 3 years ago

Thanks. Does it even do anything or is it just a sound effect?

#6749 3 years ago

The first print shows what happens when you don't pay attention to the resolution of your scan versus the resolution of your editing software. 300dpi scan, 96dpi editing software.

20210323_163227 (resized).jpg20210323_163227 (resized).jpg

Quoted from Kevlar51:

Are you planning to cut out a mylar sticker to fit into the insert, or put a strip of mylar over it? The former will probably have some thickness issues with the rest of the playfield, and so will the latter, considering the gap of air between the insert and the mylar.
I haven't tried to replace insert decals on WCS, but I have on my AFM.
I used Solarez UV resin: amazon.com link »
Pour it into the insert, then place a stiff piece of mylar over it to flatten it out even with the playfield, then harden with a UV flashlight: amazon.com link »
Curing the UV takes a couple minutes: shine the light on the resin for 5 seconds, leave off for 30 seconds, then another 5 seconds, leave off for 30, then leave on for another 30 (follow the directions on the bottle--my times might be off, but that's the gist).
This is not a perfect solution (stripping everything and clearcoating is more professional for sure); but I'm much happier with the inserts where I used the resin than the inserts where I used the stickers I purchased. Unfortunately the stickers are necessary for white lettering, as home printers won't do a good job printing white/light gray on waterslide decals.

I appreciate the advise. My plan is to put down the waterslide decal and then cover it with a strip of mylar. This should spread out the minor rise of the decal, hopefully with minimal air. I think that will produce the most seamless results, but understand that it won't be as perfect as applying a new layer of clearcoat over the entire game. You are correct about the white printing. My plan there will be to trim the current "sticker" from Pinball Center and place my waterslide decal around it.

#6750 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Thanks. Does it even do anything or is it just a sound effect?

At minimum, it lets the game know you've exited that ramp. I don't think you'll get points/credit for the ramp otherwise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,491 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 170.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome/page/135?hl=thc666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.