(Topic ID: 50131)

World Cup Soccer 94 owners. Everyone welcome.

By DEWSHO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,491 posts
  • 740 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Phoerber
  • Topic is favorited by 272 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wcs2 (resized).jpg
wcs3 (resized).jpg
wcs1 (resized).jpg
20240414_122747 (resized).jpg
IMG_8610 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6904 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6900 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5058 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9195 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9194 (resized).jpeg
There are 8,491 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 170.
#6201 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just to be clear. The ball should always be going pretty slow when it approaches the magnet due to how the ramp works. I bet your switch is intermittently working and it’s not the magnet not grabbing it, it’s not on the times it misses. That’s a beefy magnet.

Interesting...the shots from the right ramp FLY around on mine, the left ramp hits the u-turn and the top and that slows it plenty. To clarify, the switch engages every time from the right ramp and I can hear the magnet and I get the animation so I THINK it works correctly, the ball just wizzes by too fast. I'll keep playing with adjustments and maybe check out the timer setting.

#6202 3 years ago

Good point on the right ramp. Those do go fast. But shouldn’t matter if the switch is always registering. I was thinking left ramp locks only.

Also didn’t know about the timing setting. Maybe that got messed with in the past.

#6203 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Good point on the right ramp. Those do go fast. But shouldn’t matter if the switch is always registering. I was thinking left ramp locks only.
Also didn’t know about the timing setting. Maybe that got messed with in the past.

Both ramps as an option to lock might be a setting too now that you mention it. But I think you are right regardless, I'll keep messaging with it, just wanted to see if I was crazy.

#6204 3 years ago

Both ramps should light for lock. That’s standard.

#6205 3 years ago

i have an interesting audio issue with my WCS: the over-all volume, including the start-up "bong," is quite hot or loud in relation to any of my other WPC games. even when i turn it down to "1" it's still about the same as my TOM (identical hardware, for reference) on "5" or "6". and of course, it does shut off at "0".

my question is for other WCS owners, is the original digital audio mastered at a noticeably higher level than many other WPC games?

for trouble-shooting, i started with the minimum-volume override (new batteries after being in storage for six months.) then i tried swapping the ribbon cable from TOM (a suggestion from another person on another forum.) no change. then i swapped the ROMs over to the audio board from TOM. that didn't make any difference either. with those two things eliminated, it's likely in the ROMs themselves or somewhere downstream from the audio board, and i really don't think there's much there other than the speakers, which appear to be original to the cab.

when i was initially looking at the board, i noticed that the ROMs appear to be aftermarket or have been re-burned at some point. this is a machine that was re-imported from Italy, and these are the ROMs it came with. i have my doubts that it's possible, but could aftermarket ROMs somehow have the digital audio at a higher level than originals?

if WCS is just louder than other games, i'd rather not spend a lot of time chasing my tail trying to get the issue resolved. i have TOM, CV, and TAF in the house to compare to: both TOM and TAF could be turned down to quite faint, CV wouldn't drop as low as either but definitely more so than WCS.

this machine has been on-location since i bought it and the lack of a low-volume adjustment hasn't been a problem, but i'm starting to rent my games out since location play in Washington is unlikely to come back any time soon, and this might be an issue for someone in a home setting.

#6206 3 years ago
Quoted from mc300baud:

i have an interesting audio issue with my WCS: the over-all volume, including the start-up "bong," is quite hot or loud in relation to any of my other WPC games. even when i turn it down to "1" it's still about the same as my TOM (identical hardware, for reference) on "5" or "6". and of course, it does shut off at "0".
my question is for other WCS owners, is the original digital audio mastered at a noticeably higher level than many other WPC games?
for trouble-shooting, i started with the minimum-volume override (new batteries after being in storage for six months.) then i tried swapping the ribbon cable from TOM (a suggestion from another person on another forum.) no change. then i swapped the ROMs over to the audio board from TOM. that didn't make any difference either. with those two things eliminated, it's likely in the ROMs themselves or somewhere downstream from the audio board, and i really don't think there's much there other than the speakers, which appear to be original to the cab.
when i was initially looking at the board, i noticed that the ROMs appear to be aftermarket or have been re-burned at some point. this is a machine that was re-imported from Italy, and these are the ROMs it came with. i have my doubts that it's possible, but could aftermarket ROMs somehow have the digital audio at a higher level than originals?
if WCS is just louder than other games, i'd rather not spend a lot of time chasing my tail trying to get the issue resolved. i have TOM, CV, and TAF in the house to compare to: both TOM and TAF could be turned down to quite faint, CV wouldn't drop as low as either but definitely more so than WCS.
this machine has been on-location since i bought it and the lack of a low-volume adjustment hasn't been a problem, but i'm starting to rent my games out since location play in Washington is unlikely to come back any time soon, and this might be an issue for someone in a home setting.

The startup "BONG" and operator alert on our WCS is very loud, then it reverts to the volume we have set (Min override, 3). The machine my father in law has does the same thing as well.

Chrirs

#6207 3 years ago

My WCS behaves the same way. I think mines at 3-5 and it’s loud. Loud bong at boot up too.

#6208 3 years ago

Mine has a bong and a speaker pop
But the rest is normal

#6209 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

But the rest is normal

Leave it to a Nederlander to find a way to install a bong in a game! Where is that Vid's Guide?!

#6210 3 years ago

Hey, I’m restoring a WCS and came across a new plastic I can’t determine where it goes. When I tore everything down, I never came across this one so I’m guessing it was missing from the game. Anyway, here’s a pic. Any tips where this normally goes (ducking if this has been asked many times already)? Looks like it should be related to the soccer ball.

814D9BD7-6517-4DAD-9F37-D0708C9CA5E3 (resized).jpeg814D9BD7-6517-4DAD-9F37-D0708C9CA5E3 (resized).jpeg

#6211 3 years ago

rlbohon3

I believe there was discussion of that plastic a page or two back in this thread, and the consensus is that it isn't stock and doesn't really fit anywhere.

#6212 3 years ago
Quoted from InsideOutlane:

rlbohon3
I believe there was discussion of that plastic a page or two back in this thread, and the consensus is that it isn't stock and doesn't really fit anywhere.

Doh! Thanks; I missed it but see it now. Count me as another that isn't sure what this is for.

#6213 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

But the rest is normal

wrt the speaker pop and loud tone: This is normal. In the arcade you wouldn't even notice. For home use it is very obvious.

There is a fix, that involves creating a tiny easy circuit which basically doesn't let the speaker and sound source connect to each other until both have received power. The speaker pop is then gone, and the tone / chime will be at the game volume setting level.

#6214 3 years ago

Silly question for owners. On your machine is the Striker image in the back on a plastic or is is a decal?

Mine is a decal on a metal plate, but there was a plastic in the CPR set I got. Just wondering if they changed something during production.

Striker (resized).jpgStriker (resized).jpg

Chris

#6215 3 years ago

Mine is a part of the header plastic. It’s all one piece.

#6216 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Mine is a part of the header plastic. It’s all one piece.

Mine is a metal bracket attached to the header plastic, with the Striker decal on that. Is that the same as what you have?

Chris

#6217 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Mine is a metal bracket attached to the header plastic, with the Striker decal on that. Is that the same as what you have?
Chris

Yes. It’s all one piece.

#6218 3 years ago

So to anyone who has shopped out their WCS, how dirty was YOUR game? The one I am working on was purchased from the original route operator who bought it new in 1994. I am fairly certain it hasn't been apart since then it's clear that the op was a "wipe where you can see" type.

This has been a fun project though so far, not close to done yet though.

DSCF0013 (resized).JPGDSCF0013 (resized).JPGDSCF0021 (resized).JPGDSCF0021 (resized).JPGDSCF0027 (resized).JPGDSCF0027 (resized).JPGDSCF0035 (resized).JPGDSCF0035 (resized).JPGDSCF0100 (resized).JPGDSCF0100 (resized).JPGDSCF0107 (resized).JPGDSCF0107 (resized).JPGDSCF0110 (resized).JPGDSCF0110 (resized).JPGDSCF0111 (resized).JPGDSCF0111 (resized).JPGDSCF0116 (resized).JPGDSCF0116 (resized).JPGDSCF0117 (resized).JPGDSCF0117 (resized).JPGDSCF0118 (resized).JPGDSCF0118 (resized).JPGDSCF0143 (resized).JPGDSCF0143 (resized).JPGDSCF0145 (resized).JPGDSCF0145 (resized).JPGDSCF0149 (resized).JPGDSCF0149 (resized).JPGDSCF0219 (resized).JPGDSCF0219 (resized).JPGDSCF0221 (resized).JPGDSCF0221 (resized).JPGDSCF0257 (resized).JPGDSCF0257 (resized).JPGDSCF0261 (resized).JPGDSCF0261 (resized).JPG
#6219 3 years ago

But there is progress!

DSCF0230 (resized).JPGDSCF0230 (resized).JPGDSCF0238 (resized).JPGDSCF0238 (resized).JPGDSCF0240 (resized).JPGDSCF0240 (resized).JPGDSCF0248 (resized).JPGDSCF0248 (resized).JPGDSCF0249 (resized).JPGDSCF0249 (resized).JPGDSCF0250 (resized).JPGDSCF0250 (resized).JPGDSCF0252 (resized).JPGDSCF0252 (resized).JPGDSCF0275 (resized).JPGDSCF0275 (resized).JPG
#6220 3 years ago

You do nice work SilverUnicorn.
Can I send you mine?

#6221 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

You do nice work SilverUnicorn.
Can I send you mine?

sure! Thanks for the compliment. I am, by FAR not an expert in restoration. I can clean thinks up nicely but I get super jealous when I see the good restorers do their work.

I get them to be nice (in my opinion) and playable. This one is for a local friend of mine and will be going out in route when it is done.

Chris

#6223 3 years ago

FYI just noticed Pinball Center sells goalie plastics wearing different team outfits, pretty cool.

https://www.pinball.center/en/search?sSearch=world%2Bcup%2Bplastic&p=1

Zitt is doing a group order (cutoff 11-30-20) for Pinball Center parts, if anyone is interested in those or any other parts only they sell.

Read thread and contact Zitt soon for details...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballcenter-parts-needed

#6224 3 years ago

What a difference a nice new plastic makes. Old and busted vs new hotness. Cut myself a brass protector so I never have to replace it again.

62707372332__CE53D6CA-9B44-40CD-99B0-A46EE5F479EC (resized).jpg62707372332__CE53D6CA-9B44-40CD-99B0-A46EE5F479EC (resized).jpgIMG_1179 (resized).jpgIMG_1179 (resized).jpgIMG_1181 (resized).jpgIMG_1181 (resized).jpg
#6225 3 years ago

What kind of a difference does it make?

#6226 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What kind of a difference does it make?

Looks pretty and no more stuck balls. Mostly looks better, the triple rubber I had in there was working but ugly as sin.

#6227 3 years ago

Cool. Never had a stuck ball on mine. Just a double rubber which I think is stock. Can’t remember since it’s been so long since I tore the whole game apart. Just can’t bring myself to buy a whole new set for one plastic you never see.

#6228 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cool. Never had a stuck ball on mine. Just a double rubber which I think is stock. Can’t remember since it’s been so long since I tore the whole game apart. Just can’t bring myself to buy a whole new set for one plastic you never see.

Without that plastic in place, the ball can get stuck on top of the double rubber. Once mine broke, and that sliver of plastic wouldn’t stay on, the ball got stuck with amazing frequency. I put new plastic on but didn’t think of a protector.

#6229 3 years ago

Crazy. I guess mine isn’t as broken as others are.

#6230 3 years ago

I got tons of stuck balls before. Bought the single plastic from Marco. Would be nice to get a fresh set of plastic for the whole machine eventually since mine are all a little cracked here and there but pretty pricey.

#6231 3 years ago

Wait you can buy that one plastic only?

#6232 3 years ago

Found it! Thanks for the tip!

#6233 3 years ago

The one I am working on had so many broken plastics. New ones do make a huge difference. The old ones were yellowed and having clear ones is nice

Got the playfield done today and tested and all seems to be working which is great. If you saw the before pics it doesn't even look like the same machine in my opinion.

Chris

DSCF0291 (resized).JPGDSCF0291 (resized).JPGDSCF0292 (resized).JPGDSCF0292 (resized).JPGDSCF0293 (resized).JPGDSCF0293 (resized).JPGDSCF0295 (resized).JPGDSCF0295 (resized).JPGDSCF0299 (resized).JPGDSCF0299 (resized).JPGDSCF0300 (resized).JPGDSCF0300 (resized).JPGDSCF0301 (resized).JPGDSCF0301 (resized).JPGDSCF0305 (resized).JPGDSCF0305 (resized).JPGDSCF0306 (resized).JPGDSCF0306 (resized).JPG
#6235 3 years ago

Thanks! Check out the "Before" shots!

DSCF0017 (resized).JPGDSCF0017 (resized).JPGDSCF0018 (resized).JPGDSCF0018 (resized).JPGDSCF0019 (resized).JPGDSCF0019 (resized).JPGDSCF0020 (resized).JPGDSCF0020 (resized).JPGDSCF0021 (resized).JPGDSCF0021 (resized).JPGDSCF0022 (resized).JPGDSCF0022 (resized).JPGDSCF0100 (resized).JPGDSCF0100 (resized).JPGDSCF0107 (resized).JPGDSCF0107 (resized).JPGDSCF0110 (resized).JPGDSCF0110 (resized).JPGDSCF0116 (resized).JPGDSCF0116 (resized).JPGDSCF0117 (resized).JPGDSCF0117 (resized).JPGDSCF0142 (resized).JPGDSCF0142 (resized).JPGDSCF0143 (resized).JPGDSCF0143 (resized).JPG
#6236 3 years ago

Gotta' ask SilverUnicorn,
Where was that thing stored?
Such fine, dark dust makes me curious.

#6237 3 years ago

I picked up a World Cup soccer a bit ago. This already had cliffys installed when I got it. The lower two always lift up. I have to take off the glass and push them back down almost every time I play. Does anyone know of a way to keep them down?

#6238 3 years ago

Just take them off and cover the wear with mylar. Shouldn’t have any issues after that.

#6239 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Gotta' ask SilverUnicorn,
Where was that thing stored?
Such fine, dark dust makes me curious.

Honestly I'm not sure. It was purchased new by an operator. My friend bought it 2 years ago and it had been sitting for 5 years is what he was told when he bought it.

That's all I know about it's history

Chris

#6240 3 years ago
Quoted from miracleman:

FYI just noticed Pinball Center sells goalie plastics wearing different team outfits, pretty cool.
https://www.pinball.center/en/search?sSearch=world%2Bcup%2Bplastic&p=1
Zitt is doing a group order (cutoff 11-30-20) for Pinball Center parts, if anyone is interested in those or any other parts only they sell.
Read thread and contact Zitt soon for details...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballcenter-parts-needed

Golies in the correct world cup jersey
are also available on pinside:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-pinball-haus/04518-wcs94-goalie-

#6241 3 years ago

Making progress on a restoration project. This one will go to Pinball Garage arcade in Hamilton, OH once completed. All new plastics, ramps, Titan bands, LEDs, Cliffy's, rebuilt pop bumpers, rebuilt flippers, resleeved coils, rebuilt GI connectors and new flipper opto boards for that pesky weak flipper issue. Powder coated rails, lockbar, legs all black, and skill shot/habitrail purple. Additional light sockets in a few places (a few more are planned). It’s not done but getting close. I still have a few more things to do. This game was a re-import from Europe so it originally was setup for that region. It works fine on 110V now but the coin door needs to be swapped out for a standard one to handle the typical coin mechs (in the US). One thing I have noticed is that it seems all three saucers have pretty wimpy kickouts. I don’t recall this before the teardown but it may have been the same, or just my imagination. Any rate, I need to dig into those and see if they can be improved. Most noticeably the kicker into the goal just has no “authority”, sometimes barely lopping the ball into the goal.

3AD4CF36-8163-4651-AE6F-4256DA9C0E14 (resized).jpeg3AD4CF36-8163-4651-AE6F-4256DA9C0E14 (resized).jpeg55E5A756-546A-4E3E-AE24-536C39BF5CF3 (resized).jpeg55E5A756-546A-4E3E-AE24-536C39BF5CF3 (resized).jpegA1E0CEFB-6FEB-47FE-9704-60BECBB171CD (resized).jpegA1E0CEFB-6FEB-47FE-9704-60BECBB171CD (resized).jpegC504C918-ED70-4BF8-AF7A-7D00AB1B2480 (resized).jpegC504C918-ED70-4BF8-AF7A-7D00AB1B2480 (resized).jpeg

#6242 3 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Making progress on a restoration project. This one will go to Pinball Garage arcade in Hamilton, OH once completed. All new plastics, ramps, Titan bands, LEDs, rebuilt flippers, resleeved coils, rebuilt connectors and new flipper opto boards for that pesky weak flipper issue. Powder coated rails, lockbar, legs all black, and skill shot/habitrail purple. Additional light sockets in a few places (a few more are planned). It’s not done but getting close. I still have a few more things to do. This game was a re-import from Europe so it originally was setup for that region. It works fine on 110V now but the coin door needs to be swapped out for a standard one to handle the typical coin mechs (in the US). One thing I have noticed is that it seems all three saucers have pretty wimpy kickouts. I don’t recall this before the teardown but it may have been the same, or just my imagination. Any rate, I need to dig into those and see if they can be improved. Most noticeably the kicker into the goal just has no “authority”, sometimes barely lopping the ball into the goal.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's hard to love anything more than the teal powdercoat that I have. However, I'm digging the purple trail! Nice work.

#6243 3 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Making progress on a restoration project. This one will go to Pinball Garage arcade in Hamilton, OH once completed. All new plastics, ramps, Titan bands, LEDs, Cliffy's, rebuilt pop bumpers, rebuilt flippers, resleeved coils, rebuilt GI connectors and new flipper opto boards for that pesky weak flipper issue. Powder coated rails, lockbar, legs all black, and skill shot/habitrail purple. Additional light sockets in a few places (a few more are planned). It’s not done but getting close. I still have a few more things to do. This game was a re-import from Europe so it originally was setup for that region. It works fine on 110V now but the coin door needs to be swapped out for a standard one to handle the typical coin mechs (in the US). One thing I have noticed is that it seems all three saucers have pretty wimpy kickouts. I don’t recall this before the teardown but it may have been the same, or just my imagination. Any rate, I need to dig into those and see if they can be improved. Most noticeably the kicker into the goal just has no “authority”, sometimes barely lopping the ball into the goal.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You do great work Lee!

#6244 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You do great work Lee!

Thanks Erik; that’s the “GOAL!!!!”

#6245 3 years ago

Does anyone have any photos or details of an o-ring that might go between the motor and gearbox of the ball motor? I’ve pulled mine apart for cleaning, and I read somewhere that there was meant to be an oring between them, but seems mine is missing?

I assume if there is meant to be one, it’s to act as a gasket to keep lubricant in the gearbox?

3515CD23-7F3F-478E-B9E7-280CD9C4E478 (resized).jpeg3515CD23-7F3F-478E-B9E7-280CD9C4E478 (resized).jpeg
#6246 3 years ago
Quoted from Zzap:

Does anyone have any photos or details of an o-ring that might go between the motor and gearbox of the ball motor? I’ve pulled mine apart for cleaning, and I read somewhere that there was meant to be an oring between them, but seems mine is missing?
I assume if there is meant to be one, it’s to act as a gasket to keep lubricant in the gearbox?
[quoted image]

If someone doesn't already have a pic or get to it sooner, I'll see if I can get one. Mine is too loud and I want to clean it in the next few days.

#6247 3 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

If someone doesn't already have a pic or get to it sooner, I'll see if I can get one. Mine is too loud and I want to clean it in the next few days.

Excellent, thanks! I'm halfway through a complete teardown that's taking me weeks, so mine will likely still be in pieces in a few days

I've cleaned out the insides of my gearbox with a bunch of cotton tips (very carefully so as not to lose a tip or fibres into the gearbox!), and re-lubed with some Superlube. Main gear on the motor was a lot easier to fully clean and relube.

#6248 3 years ago

I'd like to know how quiet the spinning ball can get under ideal conditions.

#6249 3 years ago

Have a bit of wear at the skill shot/coins toss drop location. Are there protectors, or repairs, for this area?

DFE40F9F-4A09-47E1-9968-2B212C503AE6 (resized).jpegDFE40F9F-4A09-47E1-9968-2B212C503AE6 (resized).jpeg
#6250 3 years ago
Quoted from kdoggity:

Have a bit of wear at the skill shot/coins toss drop location. Are there protectors, or repairs, for this area?
[quoted image]

Yes there is. Cliffys Protectors. Got them on my No Good Gofers. The ball drops right on top of the switch.Unlike Whitewater or Attack from Mars for example.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,491 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 170.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome/page/125?hl=misterhare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.