• Latest reply 3 years ago by PAR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider par.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

So, you've run other tests, I'm assuming?
1. If you ground the driver side of the coil, the coil fires? You have 50v on the feed line? If no, this is your issiue.
2. If yes, you ground the driver line at the board, the coil fires?

Dealing with exactly the same problem galacticgames is facing on a DH I am "rebuilding/assembling." Coils 1 to 8 are all dead, the rest of the coils fire. I have voltage at the power driver board on J107 pin 2 of 72.9 volts. Fuse is good. Also tested voltage on Red-Brown voltage wire at a couple of the coils and got 72 volts. I have never "grounded" coils to fire them in a game. What's the best method? Use a jumper wire from the drive side purple wire side and touch it to the ground wire in the game? I am worried about frying transistors on the power driver board.(maybe they already are, but I can't image all of them are in the group from J130.) This feels like a wiring issue but it is hard to tell, should I be testing something else? I have run into some other hacks on this game in the wiring.
Thanks for any ideas and guidance.

1 week later
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yup - short it to a ground strap. Just brush the other end of your jumper over the wire - no need to hold it - you're just keeping an eye/ear out for movement from the coil. 99.99% sure you will get the coil to kick if you test on the coil itself. I would try it from the coil (juuuuuust in case) and then from the connector in the backbox.
This point, you won't harm the transistor.

So my saga continues, today I thought I would test the continuity on the wires that run from the J130 connector to the coils that are not working, I unplugged the J130 (The Violet striped wires ) connector from the Power Driver Board. I clipped my DMM onto the lug of each coil, (1,2,3,4,5,7,& 8 etc) the violet wire side, and touched the other wire of the DMM to the appropriate connector plug.
The good news, I got tone on everyone.
The bad news, when I touched any other wired part of the plug I got tone too. So no matter which coil I checked every plug with a wire associated to it on the J130 connector gave me tone.
These wires shouldn't be daisy chained together like the 50 volt side should they?
(This DH is a build from parts, the playfield was wired when i bought it quite a few years ago)
Thoughts? Help?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

So no coils are working at all? The connector that you are testing those wires are connected to the switches.Have checked the hi power coil knob near the coin door?Are the wires in correct place on that hi power coil knob?

Coils running from j107 pins 1 and 3 work, (solenoids 9 and up). Those powered from j107, pin 2, that whole string do not.
What's a coil knob? I haven't heard this term before.
Also, after sleeping on the continuity issue I listed last night, I think it was a wild goose chase since these coils don't have diodes and continuity would have run back thru the coils not just to the single violet wires?

2 weeks later
#16 3 years ago

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, the 50 volt issue was on the power driver board. I ended up swapping out a CPU board with no effect, rather than diagnose the transistor failures on the driver board I did a quick repair on a spare driver board I had with known 12 volt issues and put that one in the Dirty Harry to get it running.
There are plenty of other issues to fix now, but the game boots and plays.
Thanks again

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider par.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-no-high-power-coils?tu=par and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.