Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5945B477-626A-4D92-BA7E-3C2CA3C7FACB (resized).jpeg
A3B227C2-FC46-4329-99D7-F5BDD7BB10CD (resized).jpeg
20180901_165027 (1) (resized).jpg
20180901_061647 (resized).jpg
20180901_061459 (resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

My WCS94 is running great thanks to some help from the Pinside Community! However there is still one issue. The Spinning Soccer Ball Motor seems to intermittently make a really loud squeal/whine noise almost like a bad belt on a car engine. I can see the ball spins slightly slower when this noise is happening. I've removed the rubber ball to see if that had anything to do with it, but the noise is still present. Is there something I can do to correct this? I've checked the manual for regular maintenance but it didn't say anything about this. Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Any ideas on this one?

#3 9 years ago

Is this a matter of needing to replace the motor, or a lubrication issue?

#4 9 years ago

I don't know how loud your 'squeel' is, though here's my experience with WCS94:

WCS94 was one of my first pins. My initial impression of the spinning soccer ball noise was that the gears were disintegrating and that I'd need to replace the motor or gearbox mechanism.

I went ahead and ordered a new mechanism and installed it. Before putting the platform on the spindle, I tested the motor. Ran fine. Nice and quiet. I then added the metal disc and tightened it with the set screw. Again, a power-up resulted in a nice and quiet rotation.

Finally, I added the rubber 'ball' and it sounded just like what I started with.

In the end, and after comparing my WCS94 to others in the area, I learned that the spinning soccer ball is just plain noisy.

Sounds like you might have some play or a gear missing a tooth in the gearbox.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7996.1

Or, PM me and I'll cut you a deal on my spare motor.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll take a video of the squeal. I've played probably 5 or 6 WCS94's and none of them sounded like this one. I might take you up on that spare motor thing. I'll post the video this evening.

#6 9 years ago

Videos added.

The ball/motor will intermittently squeal when the motor is active. Sometimes it's for the entire duration of the ball spin and other times it seems to smooth out and spin faster. When the squeal is present, the ball spins slower than it should. The squeal is very loud and can easily be heard through the glass and over the game audio.

#7 9 years ago

I had a squeal on my Motor for the cannons on my STTNG

I gave 1 drop of 3in1 oil in there never happened again

maybe try that ?? Cheaper then a new motor

#8 9 years ago

Where in the motor do you put the oil?

#9 9 years ago

Is it just on the gears, or do you take the cover off of the underside of the motor and lube that up as well?

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

Where you able to diagnose and resolve the problem? I just picked up my WCS and I find the motor/gears to be a little noisy. I have a lot of work to do on the pin but this is one of the things I will be working on soon.

#11 9 years ago

Haven't figured this one out yet. It's intermittent and it hasn't been as bad lately. I'll get to the bottom of it soon though. I think it might be an issue of old grease hardening and getting kind of gummy. I need to try cleaning it out and relubricating.

3 weeks later
#12 8 years ago

I had the exact same problem, now my motor burned out. Ordered a new one. Hopefully will work again. Good luck with yours!

2 years later
#13 6 years ago

I am now experiencing the same problem. Once the wheel/ball gets up to speed it is quiet, but sometimes there is too much drag for it to get up to speed.

I dropped the motor out of the gearbox by two inches and then fired it all back up. Still had the squeal, so I know it is the motor. Unfortunately they don't see the motor separately. Ebay has the replacement for $75 while online shop has it for $150.

Does anyone know where I could just get the motor as it cannot be that complicated.

Let me know. For now I just unplugged the motor.

7 months later
#14 5 years ago

Found replacement on Ebay and installed. All good now.

Quoted from bdmt96:

I am now experiencing the same problem. Once the wheel/ball gets up to speed it is quiet, but sometimes there is too much drag for it to get up to speed.
I dropped the motor out of the gearbox by two inches and then fired it all back up. Still had the squeal, so I know it is the motor. Unfortunately they don't see the motor separately. Ebay has the replacement for $75 while online shop has it for $150.
Does anyone know where I could just get the motor as it cannot be that complicated.
Let me know. For now I just unplugged the motor.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from bdmt96:

Found replacement on Ebay and installed. All good now.

Could you share the listing or the part number / specs that let you find a replacement motor?

#17 5 years ago

I have an issue with the spinning motor making too much noise and have a new motor/ball from Marco on order that should show up tonight. I'll have results in the main WCS94 owner thread later this week as to whether or not it does anything about the whining sound.

#18 5 years ago

I fixed my noisy soccer ball motor for 5$ and it is a job you can do in 5 minutes.

I had purchased a replacement motor from Marco supplies, and to be honest it was even louder than the old one... MUCH louder. It sounded like a remote control electric car was 5 inches from my ear every time it turned on... I wonder what their return policy is.

In any case, before I reinstalled the old one, I took it apart and saw that there was 25 years of gunk in there. After some research, I cleaned the motor with a paper towel and squirted in some Lithium Grease (5$ at Home Depot in the Automotive Section) and hooked it back up. It is MUCH quieter. You can still hear it, but it is not nearly as loud, spins up faster, and continues to spin a little even after the motor stops sometimes.

If you wanted to do this yourself, you can do it without having to solder anything and by only removing 2 screws. If you look at the motor, it separates from the gearbox with 2 flathead screws. If you remove those, the motor will pop out leaving the gearbox. As you can see from my photo it was filthy. I gently wiped it with a paper towel and squirted in the lithium grease. Make sure you do not lose the little black O ring. The whole process should take maybe 5 minutes.

20180901_061459 (resized).jpg20180901_061459 (resized).jpg20180901_061647 (resized).jpg20180901_061647 (resized).jpg20180901_165027 (1) (resized).jpg20180901_165027 (1) (resized).jpg
2 years later
#19 3 years ago

I think the WCS noisy ball has a couple causes, but after a lengthy investigation into my identical issue (squeal) I can say with absolute confidence that the specific one this thread was started for is the bottom pin of the motor rubbing against the surrounding nylon.

So remove the motor (2 screws), put a drop of tri-flow (or similar lubricant) on that pin and allow it to seep in there via gravity while manually spinning the top gear.

While you have the motor off, you can add some white lithium grease to the gearbox and your soccer ball should be good to go for a long time

5945B477-626A-4D92-BA7E-3C2CA3C7FACB (resized).jpeg5945B477-626A-4D92-BA7E-3C2CA3C7FACB (resized).jpegA3B227C2-FC46-4329-99D7-F5BDD7BB10CD (resized).jpegA3B227C2-FC46-4329-99D7-F5BDD7BB10CD (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-ball-squealwhine-noise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.