• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Gorgar666
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

World Cup F116 blows only after you start game

Hi fellow pin heads,

I have a world cup soccer and the F116 fuse blows shortly after starting the game, like seconds. It just says 'goal' and trough starts ejecting balls. With a new fuse, if you go into the tests and check the flipper operation they both work fine. All opto's work fine. All switches look good, opto's etc. But exit out and start a game and thar she blows! Flippers don't work and none of the opto's work. Any ideas? BR5?

..........Leroy

#2 9 years ago

If it's the start of the ball, with normal settings the ball motor and the goalie motor are spinning, so maybe worth a check testing them with a new fuse?

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the pointer, it got me thinking. Ok I put a new fuse in (actually I've gone through about 10 trying to work out what's going on) and it's now very dark here (in Australia!) and the light is not that good in the garage. Anyway I could see the fuse starting to glow then it goes bright and blow. This is after I start a game and no pressing of flippers etc just the ball motor and goalie motor spinning. I disconnected the ball motor from the driver board and voila. So is the problem the ball motor or the driver board?
When I go into solenoid test the ball spins back and forth no problem.

....Leroy

#4 9 years ago

Repair docs say:
"Blown F116: Shorted bridge BR5 or shorted motor or shorted opto light or other 12 volt device on playfield or backbox, or even some Dot Matrix displays."

I'm not certain...but it does sound odd that the ball motor would have no problem in test, this would suggest that the ball might be o.k. Disconnecting the ball motor stopping the fuse from blowing might look like the motor itself is the problem, but also disconnecting the motor relieves the 12V circuit of current and there are other things running off the 12V, so I am wondering if it isn't something else in the above mentioned, such as BR5 failing.

Perhaps someone more familiar with this game will chime in. Good luck.

#5 9 years ago

ok I disconnect the goalie and reconnected the ball motor. No good. So I reconnected the goalie and disconnected the ball and had a few games. But I noticed a few games later after playing Germany in the world cup that a line in the middle of the DMD was out!!! WTFreak! Could this be related to fuse that was blowing on this supply rail?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Leroy:

ok I disconnect the goalie and reconnected the ball motor. No good. So I reconnected the goalie and disconnected the ball and had a few games. But I noticed a few games later after playing Germany in the world cup that a line in the middle of the DMD was out!!! WTFreak! Could this be related to fuse that was blowing on this supply rail?

Possibly. I can't be certain that it would be the DMD causing the supply failure or the other way 'round: the power supply causing the DMD failure. At minimum, I would check the spec of the 12V supply, both unloaded with the DMD unplugged, and loaded (meaning, checking right at the DMD with it plugged in. This may or may not clue in to which is the problem.
More info on possible DMD problems here:
Read section "3k. When things don't work: Dot Matrix/AlphaNumeric Score Displays"http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index3.htm#dots

8 years later
#7 8 months ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Repair docs say:
"Blown F116: Shorted bridge BR5 or shorted motor or shorted opto light or other 12 volt device on playfield or backbox, or even some Dot Matrix displays."
I'm not certain...but it does sound odd that the ball motor would have no problem in test, this would suggest that the ball might be o.k. Disconnecting the ball motor stopping the fuse from blowing might look like the motor itself is the problem, but also disconnecting the motor relieves the 12V circuit of current and there are other things running off the 12V, so I am wondering if it isn't something else in the above mentioned, such as BR5 failing.
Perhaps someone more familiar with this game will chime in. Good luck.

…a shorted opto can pop a fuse?…

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Boards
PinSound
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-f116-blows-only-after-you-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.