(Topic ID: 271895)

World Cup 94 and the NVRAM

By Pinmonkey99

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200625_194657_resized (resized).jpg
    20200625_194451_resized (resized).jpg
    20200625_194436_resized (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi,

I had a working world cup 94 and had the NVRAM chip installed and now it won't boot up past the sound check. I am really hoping it is something simple, here are some pictures of the board powered on. Any help would be appreciated.

20200625_194436_resized (resized).jpg20200625_194436_resized (resized).jpg20200625_194451_resized (resized).jpg20200625_194451_resized (resized).jpg20200625_194657_resized (resized).jpg20200625_194657_resized (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

turn off machine unplug everything but the power plug from cpu, see if it then boots. if yes then something is plugged in wrong. If not put the old ram chip back in and see if it will boot. If it works ram may be bad or or bent pins.

#3 3 years ago

Also, take your index finger and press the chips in, including the large ASIC in the center. The DCS board can boot completely independent of the main CPU (as you're hearing).

I've seen this when the ASIC rattles out of place or the pins get oxidized.

#4 3 years ago

Tried the chips same luck. When you mean everything from the bottom left board, you mean all the ribbon cables correct?

#5 3 years ago

yes the 3 ribbon cables and the switch inputs at the bottom of the board. leave the plug under the short ribbon cable. there will only be the one plug.
    If it works the top led will come on and go out, the middle one should start flashing. If this happens then the board is working.

#6 3 years ago

In case this helps. On my NBA Fastbreak that was working fine I installed a new ROM and then it wouldn’t boot even with everything disconnected. Pressed on everything, reinstalled original ROM, nothing. I ordered a chip extractor and pulled the ASIC and reseated. Booted up after that. Had some weirdness and popped out CPU at U4 and reseated and things are ok now. Been a couple weeks. Wouldn’t think just changing ROM would do that but it did. Maybe installing the NVRAM was enough to wiggle things a bit.?????

4 weeks later
    #7 3 years ago

Did it and the top LED stays on and the middle goes out. I'll replace the original chip and deal with the batteries for now... just want a working machine Appreciate the help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-94-and-the-nvram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.