image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Picked up this 1978 World Cup on my road trip about a month ago for my girlfriend, and me as we'll, but she is the soccer coach and played in college and internationally for a short time so I figured she would enjoy it.

The crappy Craigslist pictures should have been enough to get me to back out but I was already making the trip, it was relatively cheap, and played 100% but was missing the sound card. In reality I probably still over paid.

Hans was nice enough to hook me up with a system 3 soundboard all tested and working for the game at almost half the price of k's arcade website, so thanks you.

Well after helping a buddy to a teardown on his SoF today, my first teardown, and then not being able to sleep tonight I decided it was time to tear down the World Cup and try my restore project. Got everything taken off, pop bumpers were really the only thing that slowed me down, and did a little bit of work with the magic eraser....the plan is to try my hand at the full playfield restoration and get this thing as pretty as possible. The backglass and cabinet are great, the playfield leaves a lot to be desired...but I will try to improve it and help preserve this unique game. I will Update with progress as often as I can, most work will take place in the next two weeks before I go back to teaching
Will largely be following vids guide to playfield restorations so Vid thanks in advance.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Good luck Tss, you have your work cut out for you

#3 10 years ago

http://photobucket.com/albums/w638/tsskinne/1978worldcuprestore

I'll try to upload pics to this so it's easier to follow and doesn't fill up Pinside space too much.

#4 10 years ago

looks like a fun project. Look forward to following your progress.

#5 10 years ago

I can't wait to see the finished product... I would love to try a restore project myself someday...

#6 10 years ago

Keep in mind completely ameratuer just using what advice and help I can find on here. Hopefully it turns out better than it started.

#7 10 years ago

Got everything completely removed from top side and now starting the good old magic eraser time. Mylar came off easier than I expected. Have Mage good progress on right side and taking a break before the left side. Posting side by side comparison. Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#8 10 years ago

I am working on a World Cup right now too. I just stripped the playfield down the other day.

#9 10 years ago

Hey great to know I'm not alone, yours in as bad of shape as mine is?

#10 10 years ago

There are a lot of small pin size dots of paint loss. I haven't figured out how I want to tackle it yet. I need to replace the back of the head as well.

#11 10 years ago

Ah this was my first pin my Dad got me in high school. Had fun with it but back then could never get anyone to fix it and he sold it for $100 bucks to my memory. I remember making a card lard ramp we put in the center shot in front of spinner. Still like and play soccer today and hope for a new World Cup Brazil pin in 2014 but really want an NHL pin.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

There are a lot of small pin size dots of paint loss. I haven't figured out how I want to tackle it yet. I need to replace the back of the head as well.

Did yours have a bunch of straight nails hammered in under the plastics?

#13 10 years ago

Yes, lots of nails to keep them from sagging.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Did yours have a bunch of straight nails hammered in under the plastics?

Hey, before I sold my World Cup, I noticed it had small, straight nails under the plastics as well.

Then I recently bought a Disco Fever (same era) and THAT had the nails under the plastics, as well as holding the metal ball return lanes up.

On both machines they looked like they were put there by a previous owner, but now I'm wondering if these were intentional! How strange...

#15 10 years ago

Those nails are standard and assist in providing support for the plastics. When you reassemble it be careful to place them at the correct depth so they do not scratch the heck out of the plastics, yet still provide some support. They are common on Gottlieb and Bally games of this era- You can simply polish up the originals if you removed them carefully. After you clear coat the play field (as you will have to once you put acrylics on it) the holes will be a little filled with clear and the nails will once again fit a little bit tighter.

If you follow Vids guide for the restoration you will do fine, your play field looks absolutely great, very little work to be done honestly. All you need to do is find a few color matches and fill and repaint a couple of worn spots. The magic eraser will take care of the large majority of other issues. If you still find the cracks to be too obvious, you can spray or paint the area and let it mostly dry, then simply wipe it all back off with a dry cloth, wiping in from the edges so as not to smear the paint onto other colors. This will fill the cracks with the correct color and more or less restore the play field.

I DO not recommend you bother with attempting to recolor the play field, e.g. in some way imagine that your going to frisket mask every single bit of green and spray the entire thing with a new "better", non-faded, green... and then do this for every bit of white etc, this is very very ambitious and likely a lot to take on for a first attempt. These games look absolutely awesome if you fix the issues and use the wipe on and wipe off technique to fill the cracks (I am talking about fine scale cracks in the finish that look dark, not voids to wood).

Vids guide is great- but remember there is zero need to attempt to actually repaint the play field. You want to FIX the defects but largely leave it alone beyond that. Anything beyond that is asking for trouble unless you really, really, know what your doing.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice really appreciate it, and with that, clays guides, and some YouTube videos I'm pretty convinced of that method now. Made mistake of tossing those nails already...my understanding was that they prevented warping from the lamp heat..if I go warm glow led should that problem be eliminated? All done with magic eraser going to check out an ultrasonic cleaner and tumbler at harbor freight and move on to some of that area of project. Going to have my girlfriend who has a degree in graphic design help me with the color matching tomorrow after work. Here are some updated magic eraser pics I just finished that up.

#17 10 years ago

READ Vid's guide to play field restoration on this site! Nothing against the guide you have read... as I used that for my first restore, but Vid has a slightly different take and recommends some different materials and highlights some things that perhaps are not equally well covered.

Remember, do NOT attempt to pull a plastic insert out unless your certain you can either replace it or that its loose and will come out undamaged. More than one person has ended up with a broken insert and no option but to basically manufacturer a new one and you will never get the color to match 40 year old yellowed plastic. Just be careful, some recommend pulling them all.. using a heat gun. I choose to ignore this advice as I have no experience and was to worried about breaking them.

Also, to fix cupped inserts you can simply add a few drops of clear coat over the sunken part- just hit the play field with a thin coat of clear first so you can sand your drops flat. DO not let the clear fully cure after you put the eye dropper drops on it.. sand it the next day or a few days later (depending on the product) so you can bring it down to level without spending forever sanding.

#18 10 years ago

Also- Looks NICE! Good job with the magic eraser!

Its going to turn out so nice!

#19 10 years ago

Thanks just got tumbler and ultrasonic from harbor freight. Have read Vids guide to. Going to be combining my stuff from the guides and see what works best for me. Thanks for encouragement.

#20 10 years ago

Some post cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner before and after.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 10 years ago

Mine has white flipper bats. I wonder what was original.

Jason

IMG_20130718_182925_570.jpgIMG_20130718_182925_570.jpg

#22 10 years ago

Jason

// Error: Image 120048 not found //

#23 10 years ago

A couple before and after shots on the roll over targets.

#24 10 years ago

So checked ipbd and their pictures show both white and yellow flippers so no help there. I did order new rubber and the rubber does fit the flippers, but I assume that could be coincidence. Just cleaned the flippers this morning. Putting painting on delay until next week/weekend...how have your colors turned out?

Jason

#25 10 years ago

Playfield day 1 to now....going to be cleaning plastics today

#26 10 years ago

Nice work. I'm going off on a bit a tangent but one of your pictures sparked my memory. I've been working on a '78 World Cup. I noticed that you had the same problem mine did, that being the white plastic guides on either side of the L and R kick out. One is cracked I see. That seems to be a hard to find piece for replacement. I ended up fabbing a piece out of steel and it looks great but I was wondering the whole time:

-Is anyone using 3D printing for pin parts yet? I was thinking that a simple piece like that would be super easy and pretty cheap to do. I feel like there would be a ton of applications in the pin world...

#27 10 years ago

I have had same thought, but from what I have heard no one is really at this point. However I imagine that if you are able to print a gun with one pinball parts should be very easy. I would be interested in the replacement part you made...got pictures?

#28 10 years ago

We failed at our first attempt at color matching. Walked away until another day.

I would be interested in seeing how you replaced the plastic kicker guides as well.

Jason

#29 10 years ago

Are you air brushing or painting?

#30 10 years ago

We were just trying totouch up the small pinhead size spots. Matching the color was easy, but couldn't get it to dry the same color.

#31 10 years ago

Gotcha. Wishing you good luck!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I have had same thought, but from what I have heard no one is really at this point. However I imagine that if you are able to print a gun with one pinball parts should be very easy. I would be interested in the replacement part you made...got pictures?

God it's funny you mention that. The boards have been out for repair with Borygard since last October. I got so tired of the machine sitting in the shop that I took it to my storage unit two days ago haha. Will take some pics next time I'm up there.

Essentially what I used was a piece from an old Tri Zone that I parted out, the steel guide that runs along the ball trough. I traced the shape I wanted and cut it out using a Dremmel. I cut in an area that had the screw mounts already so the install was easy. The fit was perfect.

#33 10 years ago

Paint matching begins

image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Paint matching begins

Close
Adding this thread to me favourites just to see how it goes on

#35 10 years ago

First area looks pretty good to me....thank god my girlfriend can color match

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

Jason

I have an old flier, and it shows white from the factory.

#37 10 years ago

Thanks Vid....going ok for first time I think. Green 1st coat essentially done...the enemy of good is better just keep telling myself that. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#38 10 years ago

Looking great. I've started my search for an old pinball restoration project. I will hopefully find something out there that has been completely unloved...

#39 10 years ago

I love threads like these. Restoring the PF is probably my favorite part of pinball. I love to play but taking a beat up machine and making it playable again is a lot of fun. I may not be the best at it, but I do know I enjoy it.

I just started a F-14 tear down and repair myself and am having a great time with it.

Good Luck to ya,
Bill

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Nice work. I'm going off on a bit a tangent but one of your pictures sparked my memory. I've been working on a '78 World Cup. I noticed that you had the same problem mine did, that being the white plastic guides on either side of the L and R kick out. One is cracked I see.

I think Marco's has the Lane Guides unless they aren't the right size. I bought some from there for a Williams Space Odyssey I did.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=ball%20guides&S_CAT1=PFLD-LNGUIDE

#41 10 years ago

Nice, the ultrasonic cleaner really did a good job. For newer star posts I just replace them, but for those old finned posts the price per is a little higher than I want to pay for a beater machine. So far I've just used Novus 1 and a toothbrush but the ultrasonic sounds a lot easier!

#42 10 years ago

Thanks for the find on lane guides will definitely be ordering those!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Thanks for the find on lane guides will definitely be ordering those!

I ordered new ones for over the lamps too, take the lane for Super Ball Advance for example.. I just wanted all the white to match instead of old yellowed white in places and bright shiny white in others

#44 10 years ago

Yeah for $25 at harbor freight figured work a shot. I've been impressed with it.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from BillinIndiana:

I think Marco's has the Lane Guides unless they aren't the right size. I bought some from there for a Williams Space Odyssey I did.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=ball%20guides&S_CAT1=PFLD-LNGUIDE

Yeah there you go. "Fin" style is what I would have been looking for. Love Marco!

#46 10 years ago

Worked on the black and some of the key lines around inserts. It's coming.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

7 months later
#47 10 years ago

Still looking to see how this worked out. I had one of these as a project pin but just sold it. Next project, Stern Stars.

#48 10 years ago

It turned out playable and I learned I don't have patience for restoring games haha. But it was a good learning experience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-1978-restore-begins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.