(Topic ID: 180243)

Working WPC DMD Driver Board: Q6 Gets hot = Board Failure

By Gundam_Pilot_

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5303 (resized).JPG
    Pic 9 (resized).jpg
    Pic 8 (resized).jpg
    Pic 7 (resized).jpg
    Pic 6 (resized).jpg
    Pic 4 (resized).jpg
    Pic 5 (resized).jpg
    Pic 3 (resized).jpg
    Pic 1 (resized).jpg
    Pic 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gundam_Pilot_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys. I am looking at being sidelined for a good month due to health issues. So I am looking to essentially give myself busy work moving forward to kind of fill that time when I am out. So what better way to do it? Board work of course...........

I acquired this board a long, long time ago. I have not touched it at all. I gave it to Rob Anthony probably 4 years back to look over it and see if he has even seen this aftermarket DMD controller board before (which he has never seen one from the manufacturer at the time). I don't think he really did much with it considering replacement boards are cheap enough to just replace. So he advised against spending the money to invest in components and time to fix this and suggested to buy a replacement from Jim Knight (formerly? rottendog).

Long story short. This board works. The issue is that it works for 15 minutes, then fails. It gets garbled. If I let the board sit, I can reboot the game and it will work again for the time frame of about 10-15 minutes. I popped it into my DR who last night just as a refresher to the issues, but this time around I put a laser temp sensor to the locations of the board. I am seeing that the Q6 component temp is OBSENELY high. I touched it (before I touched it before I got the temp sensor) and got burned. I did notice that it is different from the other 2 transistors, so it seems it has been replaced before. So I am assuming that's the failure component. With that being said, I am trying to figure out what is causing this. Clearly the board got re-worked due to the hack on the back with the shoddy solder work and socketed chip. I have no problem doing a rebuild if its necessary but I am not particularly sure that it is necessary. I am aware that the transistors do not have heat sinks attached to them. I would really like to acquire a few from a junked board eventually, but I am sure that the missing heat sink is not the culprit here. That Q6 is just getting too hot.

I am mostly looking for a reason as to what is seemingly shorting out that Q6 transistor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pic 2 (resized).jpgPic 2 (resized).jpg

Pic 1 (resized).jpgPic 1 (resized).jpg

Pic 3 (resized).jpgPic 3 (resized).jpg

Pic 5 (resized).jpgPic 5 (resized).jpg

Pic 4 (resized).jpgPic 4 (resized).jpg

Pic 6 (resized).jpgPic 6 (resized).jpg

Pic 7 (resized).jpgPic 7 (resized).jpg

Pic 8 (resized).jpgPic 8 (resized).jpg

Pic 9 (resized).jpgPic 9 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I think that I have one of those boards too. Someone gave it to me to futz with. I don't recall it's failure mode.
    Q6 is in the HV section of the board. I can't see how it getting hot would affect image rendering (scrambled). Have you measured the HV when the failure manifests?
    Interesting.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

No I have not put a meter to it officially yet. I figure I would post it on here to essentially see if someone has experienced the same issues with a possible solution.

Chris, do you happen to know what re-manufactured these boards? I mean in all reality, I think the quality of these boards is better than the rottendog replacements for PCB construction/layout.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gundam_Pilot_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/working-wpc-dmd-driver-board-q6-gets-hot-board-failure?tu=Gundam_Pilot_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.