By NoQuarters

1 year ago

Stats

• 75 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Vic_Camp
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 48 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bingo_001_(resized).JPG
collinite_(resized).jpg
Gel-Gloss_(resized).JPG
scores_009_(resized).JPG
scores_014_(resized).JPG
going2_(resized).JPG
going_(resized).JPG
mixer1cleaned_(resized).JPG
mixer1closeup_002_(resized).JPG
mixer1closeup_001_(resized).JPG
control_unit_(resized).JPG
mixer_wheels_(resized).JPG
free_play_002_(resized).JPG
free_play_005_(resized).JPG
test_001_(resized).JPG
searchandspotting_003_(resized).JPG

There are 75 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

Dasvis - it is constantly engaged, that appearance is not unusual. Not a bad suggestion - compare against the value of the replay reset relay. If the resistance were very low, then the relay would drop out on activity (like start) that engages many coils. If it were very high, likely nothing would work.

In my exp, not usually a problem. They're all pretty toasty. But a good idea to check.

#52 1 year ago

I had just a few minutes a little while ago to take a quick look at the machine. The coil measured 95 ohms - listed as 90 ohm on the card behind the switches. I didn't have the time to investigate further the red button issue too much... Kick off under the cabinet seems to have tight normally closed point action and is not loose or subject to vibration. Looks good I think.

I watched the mixer action while pressing the start relay. All the "toothed" cogs turn to some degree with the exception of one. The one immediately adjacent to the stationary one with added on red wire in the photo is not moving. The large cog on the right side in the direction going towards the motor.

It was easy to trace back where that added wire runs to a switch on the control unit.

mixer_wheels_(resized).JPG

#53 1 year ago

Red wire runs to control unit. I checked the continuity of that red wire as it looks like it was put in I'm guessing to repair a bad connection. The Red wire seems connected well and has continuity.

control_unit_(resized).JPG

#54 1 year ago

That is mixer one and only steps one step per mixer movement/coin/start relay actuation. If it is not moving you will have lots of problems like you are experiencing with non-moving features and odds.

Check to see if the cam roller is gunky. Sometimes it can be frozen open or closed. Other times, the return spring can come unhooked in transport or similar. There is a slightly different setup on mixer 1 vs the others, but similar principle applies. This provides portioning of features and odds and needs to move.

#55 1 year ago

I'll try and look at Mixer #1 today. When I looked yesterday I gave it a gentle tug to see if it was stuck while having what I would call the catch arm released. Didn't want to break or force anything. It does seem to be frozen. Closer look today. A couple photos of Mixer #1 cog.
Interestingly the cogs have numbers about their perimeters. Is there any particular timing for these - what is the purpose of the numbers ?
The mixers cogs turn more or less at random, differing advancement for each - so these wouldn't be timed in a particular fashion to each other or would they ?

mixer1closeup_001_(resized).JPG

mixer1closeup_002_(resized).JPG

#56 1 year ago

The movement of each mixer is timed with rotation of timing cams on the control unit.

Mixer #1 is the exception. Each mixer portions odds and features through the game. Each one does something slightly different.

Basic idea is that for each movement of the start relay, the spotting disc releases and lands on a random spot. The machine will allow or not allow features or odds step up (if the river on the spotting disc is hot), through the various mixers (depending on rivet), and the reflex.

In certain instances, the reflex is bypassed.

So you have at a minimum, a 1:3 chance of a step up, but usually much less. The real magic is that step up can also be prevented based on what is currently present on the game! A good chunk of complexity is present in the mixers and some of the real genius that went into the mechanics of these games.

The numbers indicate position if you have the diagram of the mixers (of which Phil Hooper has documented quite a few), and for each position you have like a 1:4 pass through for certain features run through that mixer via the spotting disc.

Mixer #1 has a guaranteed 1 step rotation and must move to allow anything to happen. That's most likely the biggest problem with your step ups. Over time, or with moving the game, mixer cam riders might get stuck open. Get on a step stool and examine from the top. Look at the bottom of each cam and you will see the latch/rider. It should be sitting in one of the divots. You can see mixer #1 (which has a second hold rider) is stuck in the down position.

Free it up and I bet your game will start stepping. Check for packed old grease. Also typical.

-Nick

#57 1 year ago

Mixer #1 was stuck. Cleaned gunk out from the shaft area. Mixer then made a step or two when fired up again and got stuck again. Discovered that the cog was hanging up at the top metal frame as it rotated. Metal against cog contact. I looked at the other mixer cogs, they too were similarly very close or just touching the frame, but the other three were turning fairly free.

I pushed the compressed spring slightly more on the right area of the shaft so I got some clearance between the cog and metal tab. Took a very small thin file and filed on the metal tab a bit until the cog would no longer get stuck when turning. ( There is no adjustment for the metal frame position - I had hoped under the frame screws would be slotted holes - nope ) After filing, applied the tiniest amount of Super Lube where the metal just touches that cog to keep that slippery.

Mixer #1 now goes with each action of a coin or push on the start relay.

mixer1cleaned_(resized).JPG

#58 1 year ago

Game seems to be going now - I got the hold feature to work once, but not a second time. ( I could have messed up playing but I think I did it right - I wouldn't doubt I have more cleaning and possible hiccups ahead yet . Internals of game are actually dirtier or gunkier than photos might indicate )

Anyway - we get teasers and features now and the odds will advance when you feed the game enough...

I am sure I will discover some other things as I go along. Also have to figure out why the Red Button is cutting off the Anti Cheat relay.
(Free play is kind of nice though as you can turn off the game and have credits left behind for the next session )

going_(resized).JPG

going2_(resized).JPG

#59 1 year ago

Hold only works once per game on palm springs. After shooting 5 balls, the hold will flash. It will not score replays until you choose a hold.

Holding all lets the game score your winner immediately. Holding even drops all the odds, and holding off drops all the evens. The nice thing about this feature is that the game will give you an indication of which balls will drop if you lightly press the hold button. You have to press with some force to actually drop the balls (on the example I've played, and on Surf Club). Again,only lets you do this once per game if the feature is awarded.

Congrats!

#60 1 year ago

Yes - it dropped the balls fine and let me replay. I tried the hold in a subsequent game and while I'm not positive that I operated it correctly I tend to think I did and it didn't drop the balls when requested. The Hold did not Flash on either of the two games that I attempted to use it on. Nor did the Red HOLD on the backglass light up.

As far as features I forgot to mention that I did get the Select Number to light and rotate to different positions.

I'll have to get more acquainted with operation of Palm Springs now that the game appears to be going I think for the most part. There will be a couple tweaks left yet I'm sure - Red Button anyway for sure .

Now I would agree at of your assessment of 90% there or maybe better.

#61 1 year ago

I tried a few more games. The Hold will only drop the balls after the 5th ball has been launched per what you indicated - I tried it a couple more games. Appears it works ! I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. Having things working confused me !

Looking a lot better now. Teasers have been going lots faster. Select Lit number works well. The reddish color of selected number shows up better in person than shown in photos. Hold/drop ball feature is neat.

I'll have to clean up the playfield and add some new rubber rings and so forth soon also. Looking forward to getting the new cards Roller Derby Dave printed up for me too !

scores_014_(resized).JPG

scores_009_(resized).JPG

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Game seems to be going now - I got the hold feature to work once, but not a second time. ( I could have messed up playing but I think I did it right - I wouldn't doubt I have more cleaning and possible hiccups ahead yet . Internals of game are actually dirtier or gunkier than photos might indicate )
Anyway - we get teasers and features now and the odds will advance when you feed the game enough...
I am sure I will discover some other things as I go along. Also have to figure out why the Red Button is cutting off the Anti Cheat relay.
(Free play is kind of nice though as you can turn off the game and have credits left behind for the next session )

going_(resized).JPGgoing2_(resized).JPG

GREAT WORK John ... proud of you! You will be the Midwest bingo expert soon

Now ... I have this Bonanza game that is working about 90% ... may need your master skills on it someday!

#63 1 year ago

Play fields on Bingo's shine up with Gel Gloss.

Gel-Gloss_(resized).JPG

#64 1 year ago

I like to use Novus followed up with Collinite Carnuba wax. Have had really nice results using that on my flipper games.

collinite_(resized).jpg

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from DB62:

GREAT WORK John ... proud of you! You will be the Midwest bingo expert soon
Now ... I have this Bonanza game that is working about 90% ... may need your master skills on it someday!

Thanks Dan. Glad Bonanza is going better. I will give you a hand sometime if needed once I get a little better with Bingos. Novice Learner is the more appropriate title for the foreseeable future. Expertise comes with experience. I'm just getting slightly dangerous with normal EM's, these beasts can throw you some real curve balls. But I will be glad to try and help you out. I'll get over your way sometime. Still have to check out all the neat things in your collection too.

#66 1 year ago

I polished up the playfield and put on some new post rings. Also installed the new score cards that Toyguy made me !

bingo_001_(resized).JPG

#67 1 year ago

That's a good-looking playfield! Nice shine to it without being too over-glossy.

#68 1 year ago

The new score cards really spiff it up. Very nice.
My '57 Show time has been bumped up in the resto queue....

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

That's a good-looking playfield! Nice shine to it without being too over-glossy.

Thank's it's tough to photograph. There is actually a little more shine than you can see here. I try to pick out photos that don't have glare from the overhead lights in the room.

1 week later
#70 1 year ago

I moved the game the other day to make room to work on the other two Bingos I got. When I moved the game I found mixer #1 got hung up again. I wound up pulling the metal plate off above the mixer and taking a dremel tool and a file to widen that gap a little more so the mixer cog rotates freely. All operation good again.

I have played some games since then and the game seems to be playing well. It is a lot tougher to score some wins with the playfield glass on !

#71 1 year ago

Ha! Always my problem, too. Hope you're enjoying it!

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I polished up the playfield and put on some new post rings. Also installed the new score cards that Toyguy made me

bingo_001_(resized).JPG

The playfield looks amazing. Great work! That is one beautiful looking woodrail bingo.

4 weeks later
#73 1 year ago

Update : I have finally moved the Palm Springs Bingo from my "work" area over to my "player" area. Started playing it quite a bit more.... out of the fix and test phases into dedicated game play !

I had to tweak a couple more things once I moved it. I found occasionally a dropped ball wouldn't make it down to the trough - it would sit just on the edge of the hardboard tray and not drop in. I shimmed up one side of the catch tray under the shutter board and the balls drop reliably now. That along with proper leveling and it seems to be working well.

Also I found on occasion if a ball was in an upper hole - #5 in particular, a slow rolling ball might get hung up on the lip of the ball hole - that is, sit next to a ball already in the #5 hole and then you'd have to shake the machine to get it to continue rolling and often get a tilt. The solution to fix this was to raise the rear of the shutter board slightly so the ball sitting in #5 hole would sit higher, then other slow rollers couldn't catch on the lip of that hole.

Took a break from working on my project Bingos and started playing a bunch of games on Palm Springs. Fun to play.
Hold feature is very neat. Strategy on this game can change quickly from ball to ball. As I play it I am picking up on some of the things that were put into the games design that are very clever. Spot em feature has the last numbers to light as "key" center numbers in Super cards - providing you have them lit. Those last couple numbers take some extra coins to get lit. Also the left supercard has all even numbers, and the right supercard has all odd numbers - this can work into your strategy when you have both supercards lit and you have the Hold feature lit too. ( dump odds or evens ) The more I play it the more I pick up on subtle things built into the design of the game. These things were well thought out when designed. I am sure I will notice more of these design cues as I play the machine. Enjoying playing it.

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

As I play it I am picking up on some of the things that were put into the games design that are very clever. Spot em feature has the last numbers to light as "key" center numbers in Super cards

Yes! Don Hooker was an absolute genius. I'm glad you're enjoying the machine. Palm Springs is a really great game with a lot of depth.

#75 1 year ago

It's great hearing that the Palm Springs has made it into your play area. I'm sure it looks magnificent. Sounds like that great player found a perfect owner too. Hope you get a 5 in a line!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Various Other Swag
Double Danger Pinball
€ 3.95
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 299.99
$ 52.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Displays
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 6.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 75 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 477 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.