bigtimeinnerdoor_(resized).jpg
fuses_(resized).JPG
whiteboard_(resized).JPG
bigtime_overall_003_(resized).JPG
bigtime_overall_002_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_016_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_011_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_001_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NoQuarters.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I hadn't planned on it, but in a turn of events, not only did I wind up with my second bingo, Coney Island - I also wound up with this project game Big Time. I had figured I would maybe wind up with either the the Coney Island or the Big Time but certainly not both. Each from different sources. It's a long story, but in short odd timing and circumstances led to winding up with this third bingo - Big Time.

I picked this game up yesterday. It is missing the playfield glass and was very dirty. I put in well over an hour this morning just getting the playfield and cabinet a bit less dirty. The game is also missing one playfield light cover, bulbs, some of the balls and again no keys ! Does have a schematic and legs. Backglass is flaky in areas.

This project will probably sit while I tackle Coney Island next.... The work area is beyond full !

Here are a few pics in the meantime. The cabinet is leaning standing up to conserve some space, while the head assembly you will see, is positioned upside down on the floor for stability for now.

Placed a bit out of the way for the time being. I'll get to this one later...

bingo_012_(resized).JPGbingo_012_(resized).JPG

bingo_014_(resized).JPGbingo_014_(resized).JPG

bingo_016_(resized).JPGbingo_016_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Here you go - turned for a better view...

bingo_015_(resized).JPGbingo_015_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

and again - turned so you don't have to turn your monitor upside down ...

bigtimefield_(resized).jpgbigtimefield_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

Here are shots of what it looked like set up before I went and picked it up.
Forgot I had these shots sent to me.

Maybe should have started with these - but here you go...

Big_Time_1_(resized).jpegBig_Time_1_(resized).jpeg
Big_Time_2_(resized).jpegBig_Time_2_(resized).jpeg
Big_Time_3_(resized).jpegBig_Time_3_(resized).jpeg

#6 8 years ago

Sure - that would be great. PM sent. I noticed on this game that the lamp covers are just kind of sitting in the holes where as on my other games they slip over a metal ring. I'm thinking the metal rings at the lamp holes are gone from this game ? ( I'll have to check my other games to see how they are ) Maybe I can make some hole ring/lamp retainers ?

#8 8 years ago

Ok - good information on the new vs old lamp holders. The ones on this game were extremely loose - virtually falling off. A little silicone, tape, rubber or something to add a little bite for a better fit when the time comes to install them. ( A long ways off - it will be awhile until I get to Big Time - currently just getting my feet wet in Coney Island ! )

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

Took a little break from my other project ( Coney Island ) tonight and set the cabinet for Big Time up on 4 legs. Since I have to wait for help putting the head back on I explored the cabinet some. Lifted the playfield out. Discovered the ball return tray had no screws and was loose so lifted that off too and got a good look inside.

bigtimecabinet_020_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_020_(resized).JPG

bigtimecabinet_009_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_009_(resized).JPG

bigtimecabinet_012_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_012_(resized).JPG

bigtimecabinet_013_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_013_(resized).JPG

bigtimecabinet_001_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_001_(resized).JPG

#11 8 years ago

Discovered one issue - ball lifter motor disc or cam has a piece missing. Is the motor maybe missing some gears or something too ???

This looks like a problem...

bigtimecabinet_005_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_005_(resized).JPG
bigtimecabinet_002_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_002_(resized).JPG

#12 8 years ago

A look under the playfield - shutter motor and lifter start relay.

bigtimecabinet_010_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_010_(resized).JPG

bigtimecabinet_016_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_016_(resized).JPG

bigtimecabinet_015_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_015_(resized).JPG

bigtimecabinet_018_(resized).JPGbigtimecabinet_018_(resized).JPG

#13 8 years ago

I did peak in the head and took some pictures though it's currently sitting on the floor upside down waiting for help to lift it and attach to the cabinet. You will get a kick out of what I found in the fuse block ! I'll share that one. I'll get better pictures in general and a better inspection when the head gets put back on.

Big_Time_inside_018_(resized).JPGBig_Time_inside_018_(resized).JPG

#15 8 years ago

Another couple shots of the lifter motor assembly - There has to be something missing here - I don't see how the motor would drive the cog or disc which has a piece missing from it to boot. Worried about this.

lifter_motor_big_time_003_(resized).JPGlifter_motor_big_time_003_(resized).JPG

lifter_motor_big_time_005_(resized).JPGlifter_motor_big_time_005_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago

Comparing it to my Coney Island - there are exposed visible gears that connect the cams to the motor. On Coney you turn it by hand and you can see the shaft of the motor turn along with the gears driving it .

Here the cams seem in no way, that I see, have any direct connection to that shaft running through that yellow magnet armature. You can spin that shaft independent of the cam and vice versa.

Also noted that the yellow magnet floats and has some lateral movement also if you push on the shaft.

I would think turning one or the other, the cams or the motor shaft (spindle through the yellow magnet winding ) the other member should turn.

There was tape on one of the cams with some broken pieces so I know the one cam is missing some portion shape wise also.

#20 8 years ago

Ok - so no exposed gears for the lifter motor for this game. Maybe when power is applied that yellow magnet pulls in toward that silver portion and turns hidden gears inside the thin silver box ?

Right now things do turn by hand but independent of one another. That is what raised my doubts.
I can turn the cams of course, but I don't see the shaft protruding out from the yellow magnet spinning when I do that.

I can spin the end of that same shaft that goes through the yellow magnet located above the coil that is secured in the U shaped bracket - and that spins with virtually no resistance at all. I would have thought turning that shaft I would meet some resistance and/or see the cams above then turn.

lifter_motor_big_time__x_(resized).jpglifter_motor_big_time__x_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago

I pushed in the end of the shaft I marked "spins freely", It is hard to tell, but then, it seems there is resistance met if I lightly apply pressure to try and turn the cams. I am thinking perhaps when power is applied the yellow magnet pulls in and acts on the thin silver gear box and hidden gearing inside... Maybe things are ok. I'll find out when I eventually get the game set up all the way and power is applied to the ball lifter.

That small piece of the cam cog missing I am sure I can repair with an epoxy based filler.

#23 8 years ago

Ok - thanks for the confirmation SteveinTexas. Very good.

For now I'll go on the assumption the motor probably is indeed alright.... I'll find out for sure when the time comes.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I did peak in the head and took some pictures though it's currently sitting on the floor upside down waiting for help to lift it and attach to the cabinet. You will get a kick out of what I found in the fuse block ! I'll share that one. I'll get better pictures in general and a better inspection when the head gets put back on.
Big_Time_inside_018_(resized).JPG

Got the head on late today. Didn't have much time to look in the head but I did remove the screw from the fuse block and checked the fuses. All the fuses in there were 20 amp and too big ! Replaced with appropriate sizes to match the calls on the tags. I also noticed a couple slip ring wires were not in the correct grooves and corrected those. That's all I had time for tonight.

I will do a better general inspection in the head next, checking steppers, discs etc. I can see a couple of the discs can use a cleaning. Will get a better look when I get some time. Quick see and corrected a couple things right off the bat.

#26 8 years ago

No more No Blow Screw in the fuse block !

All new appropriate amperage fuses per label calls.

big_time_inspection_017_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_017_(resized).JPG

#27 8 years ago

Got a little better look inside today. There were no keys for anything. The back of the head was open and was no problem, nor the front door as there was no playfield glass.The side winder locks for the side rails of the head were the only challenge. I got one nut off the inside of one lock and was able to get the lock out and remove the backglass. Pulled that lock apart and pulled the lock pins out. Screwdriver will suffice now in that lock. Backglass has flaking in the Super Card areas and edges of the glass. Took the backglass out so I could fold down whiteboard and get a better look at everything.

big_time_inspection_041_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_041_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_040_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_040_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_038_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_038_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_039_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_039_(resized).JPG

#28 8 years ago

Have some dirty discs and some sticky steppers. I am going to do some cleaning before I even plug this game in.

big_time_inspection_001_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_001_(resized).JPG

big_time_inspection_011_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_011_(resized).JPG

big_time_inspection_016_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_016_(resized).JPG

#29 8 years ago

a few more pics

big_time_inspection_006_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_006_(resized).JPG

big_time_inspection_007_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_007_(resized).JPG

big_time_inspection_014_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_014_(resized).JPG

#30 8 years ago

A couple shots of the mixer on the back door

big_time_inspection_019_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_019_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_018_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_018_(resized).JPG

#31 8 years ago

and a few more shots back door, spotting disc, etc

big_time_inspection_021_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_021_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_022_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_022_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_023_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_023_(resized).JPG
big_time_inspection_024_(resized).JPGbig_time_inspection_024_(resized).JPG

#32 8 years ago

A couple overall shots. Ready for some general cleaning on some of the discs and steppers.... I'll get at this as time permits.

bigtime_overall_002_(resized).JPGbigtime_overall_002_(resized).JPG
bigtime_overall_003_(resized).JPGbigtime_overall_003_(resized).JPG

#34 8 years ago

Started doing just a little cleaning last night and further examination. I lifted the white board back into the raised position at one point to clean and also check a few bulbs. There is an assortment of bulbs in the odds area, some missing and bulbs mixed in include #57, #1892, #53. These all appear to be 14 volt bulbs that were found there - but doesn't the odds fall in with general illumination or not ? Could or should these be 6 volt variety such as a #47 etc ??

Supercards had #1458 bulbs which are 20 volt ( near equal is a 1464 at 22 volt more readily available ) 17 volt circuit I believe at the Supercards. Looks like several are probably burn't out.

Won't even venture yet into the bulbs behind the sliding panels behind the main bingo card. I won't worry about those lighting until I get that far. Won't mess with those if I don't have too.

(Again haven't plugged the game in yet. I want to make sure there are no stuck steppers or solenoid's first before I put some balls in etc and see what happens on the first power up.)

#36 8 years ago

I was thinking that - it sure is a mish mash of different bulbs and some missing, and I'm sure there are several burnt out by the looks of them. If they are supposed to be 6 volts I'd like to just put new ones in for that area. 14 volt would light up pretty dim I'd guess anyway if there supposed to 6 volt bulbs installed at the odds area.

#37 8 years ago

Looking at the fuses - three circuits set up for 6 volt. Pulled the bulbs from the odds area. before I pulled the bulbs I couldn't resist the temptation to try turning on the machine. Did so for about 10 minutes. Upper GI lights on the whiteboard are 6 volt , I'd assume the odds lights are 6 volt also.

While I didn't get any balls to lift, the shutter did open and close with each push of the red button on the coin door. Looks like there is a wire inside to bypass coins, just push the red button. Didn't get any odds to light while I still had the bulbs in that area. Pushing contacts closed in the playfield got various lights to light on the bingo card area and some of the super cards. Vertical lines appear to move up and down for the first four lines, but not line five. Ball #3 appears lit with no ball in the hole - tapped the switch and it appears that isn't stuck. When I shut the game off I noticed the start relay coil was hot.

whiteboard_(resized).JPGwhiteboard_(resized).JPG

fuses_(resized).JPGfuses_(resized).JPG

#39 8 years ago

When I changed out the fuses and discarded the screw that was in one spot I checked out this block and it seems to be in good condition. Tight fit and good continuity. ( much better than the one I changed out in my Coney Island ) Good point though - I think any Bally Bingo should get a close check of the fuse block and replace if any question at all. I don't think the fuses are an issue in this game. All new and proper size's put in etc as per earlier posted activity.

Always worth a recheck later though I suppose when I really get into trying to get this one going. Just has been a bit of time here and there, and I'm still working on cleaning and checking things operate freely before I get into any real effort to awaken this game and sort out it's issues.

#41 8 years ago

Thanks Nick

I obviously have some further cleaning work to do. Your diagnosis on my limited preliminary start up will be kept in mind. Any idea why #3 ball would stay lit with nothing in it while the switch appears to be open ?

I was happy to see four of the five lines move. That was a good sign I thought. Good to see some things work before I get into the game to any degree.

I am going to assume the odds lights are indeed 6 volt and put some #47 or #44 lamps in, lower the whiteboard again and get back to cleaning and checking again as time permits.

#43 8 years ago

I hope #3 ball lit is a Jones plug issue - but I really cleaned up the Jones plugs when I set the game up and carefully seated them all. Maybe there is a wire issue under the shutter board for #3 closing the circuit. I didn't like it when I saw #3 lit without a ball or closing the switch. Worst case is finding a short I'll venture a guess - that wouldn't be fun.
It seemed to me also that when I closed some other ball switches to light up other lights that the #3 dimmed down some when depressing other ball switches if that's another clue.

#45 8 years ago

I'll go over the finger boards under the rails next cleaning session. I had did just a quick wipe of those when I set up the game. Maybe #5 contacts under the rail is just dirty. I'll probably pull the playfield out again too just to recheck switches underneath anyhow. That will make cleaning the finger boards easy also. Getting busy with other stuff now but I'll dig in again when I get the chance.

#46 8 years ago

I got about 20 minutes of time this afternoon....

Cleaned contacts for #5 magic line. Looks good but still not moving. Just #4 line moved this time. 1,2,3,5 no movement.

Under playfield #3 wires, switch etc look good.

I noticed when I turned on power, #3 is not lit, BUT lights as soon as you push the red credit switch. Turn the power back off and #3 is off.
Results consistent with a few power on and offs and pushing the red button. Red button lighting up #3 ball on Bingo Board.

Shutter no longer moving with push of the red button either. Now stays in the open position.

1 week later
#47 8 years ago

Got busy with some other stuff, but will get back at this project in awhile ... (I picked up a Flipper game - Bally Boomerang, have been bringing that up to snuff along with non pinball activity keeping me busy - back to the Bingo's probably in another week )

1 week later
#48 7 years ago

I had a little time the last couple evenings to tinker a little with this game. #3 light no longer comes on when you start the game. It lights properly if the shutter is closed and you depress the switch in the appropriate hole. I also cleaned up the playfield, polished, waxed and put on new post rings.

I went through and changed out burnt lamps in the main card and super cards. All the score lights do work when depressing the switches for each of the individual playfield holes for both the main card and super cards.

5 lines all move now. I did get the odds to light and advance a step or two at one point.

The shutter opened and closed for me a couple times upon pushing the red button but now appears to want to stick open again.

Ball lift isn't lifting balls.

Start relay locks on and stays on as soon as you trip the power switch on at the side of the head.

#50 7 years ago

Red credit button is apparently wired up for free play. I haven't even tried a coin in the machine. There is a wire nut on the mod that is on the backside of the coin door. I suppose I could undo the connection at the wire nut and see what happens. I hadn't noticed it at the beginning of the project, but I believe that start relay has activated and stuck on anytime I have powered the machine on.

bigtimeinnerdoor_(resized).jpgbigtimeinnerdoor_(resized).jpg

#52 7 years ago

Took the nut off and made no difference for the start relay. Relay still powered on and stayed activated as soon as I hit the power switch on at the head. Red button no longer worked then. Wired it back together and it simulates coins so I believe the mod is ok to replace dropping coins. Start relay must be locking on and staying locked on for another reason when power is turned on.

Examined the red button switch - looks good. Don't think there is a problem there. Two switches reverse in action when pushed. Open becomes closed at top (near door) and Closed becomes open at bottom ( away door )

redbutton_open_(resized).JPGredbutton_open_(resized).JPG
redbutton_activated_(resized).JPGredbutton_activated_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#53 7 years ago

Had a few minutes again today. Start relay continues to lock on immediately when you trip the power switch on the side of the head. I turned the machine off and put about 10 credits on the replay window. Turned the machine on. Start relay locked on as usual. Hit the red button to try to play off a credit. All the credits clicked off like you were hitting the credit clear on the bottom of the machine. Bottom credit clear seems to not be stuck on. Still trying to figure out why the start relay immediately locks on when the machine is turned on.

Shutter is not closing and balls not lifting. But, if you tug or push on the playfield by grasping one of the playfield holes at the bottom the shutter will close when you push the red button.

I rechecked most of the steppers and I think I have them free, fairly clean and stepping up or down, resetting when activated by hand.

I think this game is only a few bugs to sort out away from playing. I have had the lines moving , balls lighting and scoring and the game paying out at various points over the process of working on it.

If I can correct the start relay problem , get the shutter and ball lift to operate properly, it will play....

#55 7 years ago

Ok - thanks Dave...

I also cleaned up the playfield recently and put on new post rubbers. Also changed out almost all bulbs. Also replaced the playfield bumper springs as some were stretched, etc.

bigtime_001_(resized).JPGbigtime_001_(resized).JPG
bigtime_006_(resized).JPGbigtime_006_(resized).JPG

bigtime_005_(resized).JPGbigtime_005_(resized).JPG

#57 7 years ago

I bought some new Springs from Macro Specialties. Macro only has the long ones, but not the short ones. However I found you can make two shorts out of one long.

I put my new springs on my other project Coney Island, and the best used springs from both games on Big Time.... I also salvaged one damaged long used spring and turned it into a good short spring.

#60 7 years ago

I have a popsicle stick holding the anti cheat relay closed so credits should stay on the machine regardless of powering on and off. Essentially creating free play to play off credits. Should be able to click off one credit at a time with the red button then in an attempt to advance odds, features and start a game.

Perhaps the black lead is not on the correct tab on the coin switch ? Maybe the mod that somebody made isn't quite right ??

When I had undone the wire nut connection previously the start relay still would lock on immediately with the power being turned on. Then the red button did nothing. I put the connection back together and the button would activate again so I was thinking the mod was good for simulating dropping coins.

insidedoor_(resized).jpginsidedoor_(resized).jpg

anticheat_(resized).JPGanticheat_(resized).JPG

#61 7 years ago

Close up of switch. The extra black lead is soldered to the bottom tab - tough to see the black wire in this shot - curves under the switch and in the shadow of this picture.

The loose screw on the front must be the true actuator ? It is spring loaded and "clicks" if you rotate it clockwise. I undid the wire nut connection temporarily and turned the power on, then tried turning the spring loaded screw on the front of the switch. Nothing occurred though.

Is there a tab broken or missing at the top side of the switch above the green and yellow wires ? Maybe there should be a connection of some sort made there ?? just guessing - don't know.

That start relay locking on immediately when you turn the power on has probably got something to do with an issue at the front door switches and wiring. ( odds are advancing when you push the red button so I don't think that the odds are hung up causing the start relay to stick as was one of the earlier suggestions of what to look at - maybe some other feature or such is stuck locking that relay on ? )

switchbigtime_001_(resized).JPGswitchbigtime_001_(resized).JPG

#63 7 years ago

You have confirmed my feelings on that switch also.... but there is a little twist now .... another fellow too will be interested in this in particular....

I actually made a new pinball friend in the last couple days. A fellow contacted me and told me that he has been looking for a Bingo and couldn't find one in our neck of the woods, much less one to his budget and his liking, aka inexpensive project ... Long story short ..... I just got home from hauling Big Time to his house! The Bingo brotherhood has just been expanded by one member. I hope my new friend Paul will jump into Pinside and sign on as a member and pick up where I am leaving off. He has read this thread and knows what lies ahead and he is confident he can finish what I have started. He had a Bingo in his past and is looking forward to getting Big Time to playing. Handing off to an eager and competent pinball enthusiast. Going to a good home and in good hands for sure. Now I'll have to double down on my other project. Figured it was ok to do so - I had more than one spare and there was an eager Bingo seeker that needed a project.

#65 7 years ago

I called Paul and gave him a heads up on the latest activity on the thread. I let him know I'd like to see him on here and keeping this story going to it's conclusion. I'll be stopping at Paul's house again in the near future. I've got a new playfield glass being cut for my Palm Springs and Paul will get my good used one for Big Time as it didn't have one. Also a couple of lamp covers are enroute to my mailbox courtesy of another friend, and these are going to Paul also.

10 months later
#66 7 years ago

I heard from Paul recently - he has the Big Time Bingo playing 100 % now.

Message in part from Paul....

"Hi John, I have it running perfect right now. Major repairs were new gears for the ball lift motor, reinsulating shorted wires pinched by light board, adjusting 4 corners 300 counter, and finally disassembling and cleaning credit unit. Turned out great! Thanx for everything."

Good to hear this game is a player again ! Happy Conclusion. I am sure Paul is having fun playing this Bingo.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NoQuarters.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/working-on-big-time?tu=NoQuarters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.