Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Toyguy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2241 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2242 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2240 (resized).JPG
    All Set Up (resized).JPG
    PF-Dec2016 (resized).JPG
    First Game (resized).JPG
    PF-Nov2016 (resized).JPG
    Stripped (resized).JPG
    Stripped Overview (resized).JPG
    Steppers1 (resized).JPG
    Gummy (resized).JPG
    Broken Contact (resized).JPG
    diagram for argentine (resized).png
    image-9_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0508_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0509_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider balzofsteel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago

I had completely forgotten about my adventure with the rectifier in Seven Up/WS43. Forgot why I made a bridge out of diodes, must have had the pieces. Anyway, here's a few pix...

IMG_0507_(resized).JPGIMG_0507_(resized).JPG

IMG_0508_(resized).JPGIMG_0508_(resized).JPG

The wires from the transformer are really stiff and I didn't want to mess with them. What I did was to take the large through-bolt out of the old selenium rectifier, and replaced some of the metal washers in the stack with fiber insulators. This allowed me to use the old bridge as a terminal strip and not disturb the transformer wiring.

IMG_0506_(resized).JPGIMG_0506_(resized).JPG

IMG_0509_(resized).JPGIMG_0509_(resized).JPG

Hmm.. Rectifier bridge made from diodes does look slightly less newfangled than packaged unit - maybe that's why. It looks like I used a terminal strip scrounged from '70s Williams, some wire from same, fuse and clips, and 6A05 diodes.

The green wires are AC and the red is DC+

Other questions....

Voltages - I'm pretty sure Genco solenoids run around 18 volts. The lights are 6V. #40 bulbs will run cooler than #46

The timer is probably a holdover from a few years earlier when pins ran on batteries. This seems more likely than the hurry-up thing that keeps getting repeated. The timer runs for five minutes or so - who couldn't finish a game in that time?? Seven Up only has one GI lamp in the whole game - another likely holdover from the battery era.

Taco-shaped bumper skirts - plastic warped but paint not faded.. How does baked in a hot dark attic sound?

D-shaped rubber - that black stuff looks ghastly. There is some D-shaped white rubber weatherstrip at the hardware store. It looks pretty good but has nearly no bounce(it's hollow). Watch the youtube video of Seven Up for a look at some.

Here's some I made from GE bathroom silicone. Good bounce and looks like the real thing.

image-9_(resized).jpgimage-9_(resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toyguy:

Anyone know what that single transformer tap is at the bottom center of the output side? Is that supposed to be 6V to the lamps?

Sounds about right.

#21 7 years ago

I think it needs that connection. See second pic in above post.

1 week later
    #36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toyguy:

I got to wondering if it's not some form of credit counter disguised to not look like one. If you discarded two zeros, you'd end up with a range 0-79 ..

That would be it. There's a button-like thing under the cabinet that you push to zero the credit counter.

#39 7 years ago

Almost everything scores 100 except for the stuff that scores 1000 when lit.

Added over 8 years ago: oops.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider balzofsteel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/working-on-a-genco-argentine?tu=balzofsteel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.