Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 1 year ago

There isn't much information about this. I found an equally frustrated person in this thread:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/williams-transformer-in-data-east-pin.217690/

I haven't done this, and I probably wouldn't. I would wait until I found a fire-damaged or flood-damaged machine with the correct 10-5003-00 transformer and use it.

But, if I absolutely HAD TO...

I would find another 5003 transformer, and measure the actual AC voltages coming out.

I would take my substitute transformer and make sure the voltages were all present, and within a couple of volts.

I'd wire it in, but here is the problem... Transformers supply what the output (the pinball) requires. And if the 70V winding on the Data East transformer was rated for 10 AMPS, and the substitute transformer was rated for, say, 4 AMPS, the substitute transformer is going to try it's best to supply what the pinball needs.

Generally power distribution is over-specified, and you'll be fine. However, suppose the pinball you are putting the substitute transformer into requires 5 AMPS and your (replacement) transformer was only specified for 4 AMPS. This would work, maybe forever without trouble due to the transformer being over-specified, or maybe not.

And what happens when the answer is 'not' is that you'll have a bubbling mass of goo come out of the transformer, a horrible burning electronics stink, and a VERY SERIOUS fire hazard.

Which is why I'd probably never substitute a different transformer unless I could find out the actual power specifications of each winding for each unit, and make sure the replacement is specified the same or higher on every winding.

It's all in fun until you burn down someones house. I wouldn't be taking the chance.

1 month later
#6 1 year ago

You could always wind your own:

https://ludens.cl/Electron/trafos/trafos.html

One is currently (Hehe, CURRENT-ly, I crack myself up!) available on ebay:

ebay.com link: itm

#8 1 year ago

I agree. $450.

However, dot matrix displays are now $499.

All new Stern pinballs (Premium) will be at $9699.00. With sales tax in North Carolina where I'm at, that pushes them over $10,000.00.

Repeat this:

New pinballs are $10,000.00

And it puts the cost of parts in a slightly easier to understand context.

Ouch.

1 month later
#11 1 year ago

Homepin actually had a batch of the transformers for older Bally games made. So it's possible, in todays market, to get another run of transformers for older machines made.

If there is someone who starts producing transformers, I would expect that the usual parts suppliers would offer them, but right now...

Nothing.

Keep looking on Ebay. Consider buying a 'parts machine' and scrapping out that machine to make your LW3 work.

Not many other options right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/work-around-for-data-east-transformer-010-5003-00?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.