1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by oldschoolbob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2856 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2854 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2851 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2843 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2847 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2830 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2824 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2820 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2819 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2818 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2859 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Back when I was building models I found I needed a brighter workbench light. I built this light from a halogen track light.

IMG_2859 (resized).JPG

It served me well and went on to light my work on pinball boards. Unfortunately after about 30 years the flexible arm has lost its tension and the light now droops. I decided to build a new light and started collecting parts. That’s when I saw this post by TimeBandit :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-out-my-insane-pinball-work-light#post-4678088

This inspired me to get to work on my bench lights. First I wanted to finish my halogen light then build another with the light panel. This is the new halogen light.

IMG_2818 (resized).JPG

IMG_2819 (resized).JPG

IMG_2820 (resized).JPG

IMG_2824 (resized).JPG

I again used an old track light for parts. The power supply is 12 volts - AC – 75 watts. I mounted it in a project enclosure box and wired in a switch. I added a thick aluminum plate to reinforce the mounting area. I used a microphone gooseneck to mount the track light head but I had to make an adaptor to mount it. It looks much better than my old light and works just as well.

IMG_2830 (resized).JPG

Then I started on the light panel. I didn’t have the light panel before I started so I used a heavy duty project box. Again I used the track light power supply but I had to add in a bridge rectifier. And I also used the aluminum reinforcing plate and had to make an adaptor.

IMG_2847 (resized).JPG

IMG_2843 (resized).JPG

It turned out really well but to be honest it’s not as bright as I expected.

IMG_2851 (resized).JPG

I also use one of those hobby lights (with magnifier) and I don’t think the light panel is much brighter. I don’t have a light meter to be sure but just looking at the work area I don’t see a big difference.

IMG_2854 (resized).JPG

The down side with the halogen light is it causes a lot of glare. I have to turn it off to take pictures. The light panel spreads the light evenly – should be great for pictures. Also the halogen light gets very hot – you don’t want to touch the light head.

IMG_2856 (resized).JPG

All in all I’m glad I made these new lights. Should be an improvement to the work area. And like TimeBandit said “Honestly, you are not working with enough light”.

Bob

#2 1 year ago

That's interesting. It's just more time than I need to spend. I use an overhead shop lamp in conjunction with a swivel magnifier lamp. Simple and inexpensive.

#3 1 year ago

That's what I used for years but now i'm retired I have plenty of time for this kind of stuff - especially in the winter.

Bob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 30.00
    $ 199.99
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 110.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside