New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 57709)

WoOz Random Thoughts-by Borygard 8)

By Borygard

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tool.gif

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

So I've played and worked on WoOz a bunch at this point, and up until the recent software I really never felt I could say I played a game.  I batted the ball around a bit, through some loops, a ramp, a couple kickers, made a few shots, heard some voice calls and sound effects, but it never felt like I was playing a game.  Especially some of the earlier revisions, certainly not unexpected as software development still isn't finished.  Now though, I can absolutely say without hesitation, this is a FUN game!

I won't go further into review of the game other than that, since a lot of people have already.  I will however point out some of the highlights of the game for me and some random thoughts, as a player, and as a tech.  

As has been said by many, WoOz is a beautiful game.  It oozes quality through and through, from the side art, to the playfield, the art package, the solid assemblies, and quality parts.  The game has been put together with a great deal of attention to quality.

The left and right drain ball save extras; Toto on the right, There's No Place Like Home on the left. These are brilliant!  So much fun to try to get your ball back, and so rewarding when you do.  I almost like shooting these modes as much as playing the game.  So fun!

On the non-player side.  The switch matrix is beautifully laid out on the LCD.  All the info you could possibly need, right there on the display.  Each switch is color coded as an opto, regular switch, normally open, normally closed, and so on.  A switch shows up red to indicate it hasn't been made in awhile and is marked as "bad".  Wire colors and connector pins are right on each row and column. No need to even pull the manual out.

Put the switch matrix and lamp charts on the last page of the manual as Williams did for quick access.  The LCD is great, but you can't mark up the LCD with a sharpie to look for patterns when troubleshooting like with a paper copy.  Or can you?  How about a section in the test menu to manually mark problem switches turning them a different color?  That way you can do the same on the LCD as you would with a paper copy and don't even need a copier or a manual.

When in test, all the lamps go full brightness in solid white, illuminating the entire playfield top and bottom, so you can see what you're doing.  How genius is that!

Each coil is individually adjustable to get them as strong or as weak as you want.

The witch; what happened here?  The first video of the witch in her box, melting into nothing but her hat was so cool.  That still happens I guess, but barely, she's only about half size and just looks awful.  No hands, just little twig stub arms, huge head, just looks bad.  What seemed was going to be such a cool toy turned into a "why bother?"

Suggestion; enable the motors in coil test.  They're there, you shouldn't need to go to their individual tests outside of the coil test page to activate them.  It's nice the individual tests are there, but if you're going to list the motors in the coil test, make them function.

Unplugging the crystal ball locks up the game.

Tilt needs a sound effect.  When I'm nudging the State Fair popper, I'm not looking at the screen for the warnings.

A few more bugs here and there that I don't doubt will get cleaned up in later revisions.   All in all, an amazing well built game that right now is simply a blast to play.  Looking forward to lots more from JJP on this and future titles.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#2 7 years ago

Rob, great review, and I like your suggestions at the end. I felt the same way, about the game play. It really is fun. It brings a new meaning to draining down the side. I think those two side saves are brilliant. Thanks again.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the review Rob, I look forward to playing WOZ again, my only experience was an early proto at expo. At that point I was very excited about the game.

#4 7 years ago

Ya, but how does Taro like it??

#5 7 years ago

Good writeup Rob. I'll talk with Keith and Ted about enabling the motors in coil test. The tests are there just on a separate page as you note.

Thanks for the feedback!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Ya, but how does Taro like it??

He doesn't like it as much as he likes you Bryan.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#7 7 years ago

Rob,

I'll shoot you my number. I'm interested in any other commentary you may have. I'll also walk you through the update process and some OS specifics. I'd love feedback.

#8 7 years ago

Now it's Wooz? I thought we were past the whole WOO thing and now this!!! Yer silly, Rob!

#9 7 years ago

good review. Seems to have come a long way since the last version I played.

#10 7 years ago

This review mean a lot coming from you, Rob.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

This review mean a lot coming from you, Rob.

lets not give him too much credit here. He DOES think star Wars trilogy is a good game. So take that what it's worth.

#12 7 years ago

I think most of the test "upgrades" we saw on the PB2K games as well. So what's new and innovative? Is there an avatar that pops up and tells you how to fix things? We want to know more of you random thoughts, as you have a lot of technical knowledge and experience with these new games from JJP. How easy is it to remove the playfield, or change the driver? Does the cabinet get hot? How is the rgb system? All this helps us to make better games and appreciate this one. Jpop

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Now it's Wooz? I thought we were past the whole WOO thing and now this!!! Yer silly, Rob!

Really though it should be TWoO if you go by previous pinball abbreviation convention - just sayin'

Jack wanting it to be abbreviated WOZ really screwed me up looking for my old posts on RGP.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Rob,
I'll shoot you my number. I'm interested in any other commentary you may have. I'll also walk you through the update process and some OS specifics. I'd love feedback.

Jack has the number; 314-766-4587. I used to sign all my posts with it, but that got to be a little more than I could handle.

Any time, I'm more than happy to help and give any feedback I can.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

(W)izard (o)f (Oz) seems best to me, though I guess TWoOz is technically correct. If WoOz is going to cause an uproar, I'll conform.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

lets not give him too much credit here. He DOES think Star Wars Trilogy is a good game. So take that what it's worth.

Well, I've said I liked playing SWT, and that I thought it was much better than most people give it credit for. A "good" game may be a bit of a stretch. I do own one though, so I guess that says something.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#17 7 years ago

All you really hear about Is the damn outlane games, build and oooww pretty! It's getting old!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

I think most of the test "upgrades" we saw on the PB2K games as well. So what's new and innovative? Is there an Avatar that pops up and tells you how to fix things? We want to know more of you random thoughts, as you have a lot of technical knowledge and experience with these new games from JJP. How easy is it to remove the playfield, or change the driver? Does the cabinet get hot? How is the rgb system? All this helps us to make better games and appreciate this one. Jpop

Never said anything about innovative John. WoOz test menus (what's there, they're obviously not complete) are far better than P2Ks, and yes P2K test menus were definitely innovative and by far my favorite test menus in all of pinball, up until 2013.

Playfield removal seems easy enough, though the thing is beastly heavy, for obvious reasons. Slides are pretty much P2K. Accessing the boards is plenty easy enough. I don't want to get into my further thoughts on the boards, as I've expressed my feelings previously about them being in the bottom of the cabinet, under the playfield, and don't feel that needs to be rehashed. It is what it is, just like P2K is.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

All you really hear about Is the damn outlane games, build and oooww pretty! It's getting old!

Snowdale, you must have missed my lengthy WOZ gameplay review from last week:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-another-lengthy-woz-review-based-on-114-software

#20 7 years ago

More random thoughts...

Skill shot points are way out of balance with game scoring. Five thousand points for a skill shot is too much when the average points scored in an entire game is 25K. How about different point levels for the different skill shots? One thousand for WOZ lane skill shot, 2K for witch skill shot, 3K for Haunted Forest skill shot.

Crystal Ball modes, Lights On and Lights Off are very cool, but holy cow, playing with random flashing colors on all inserts or no lights at all is so disconcerting.

Get rid of sound effects and kickout delay at CB, Castle VUK, and Wizard hole when in outlane modes. It takes too long to get the ball back in play when in these modes and you only have the very limited shots with nothing else meaning anything.

The use of the shaker so far is really great! The minimal shake as the twister spins the house and at the ball rolling into castle/multiball start is awesome. And I, for the most part, am very much not a fan of shakers.

How the heck is "Dorothy" trademarked?

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#22 7 years ago

Nice review Rob. I like seeing positive reviews. I've never really liked the witch in the tube either. I think Jack had originally planned on somebody making the original melting witch that we all saw first. However that didn't work out so he had Matt whip something up. At least thats what I remember. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

pappy

#23 7 years ago

Nice review Rob glad you enjoy it your opinion goes a long way in my book, Now I just need mine to get here.

Joe(acejedi)

#24 7 years ago

Nice review. Original perspective. Thanks.

#25 7 years ago

Disagree on Crystal Ball.. all rgb lights on is my favorite MB... it's psychedelic!

#26 7 years ago

....So what was the deal with the witch being changed from the original look???? Anyone know why?

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Disagree on Crystal Ball.. all rgb lights on is my favorite MB... it's psychedelic!

Didn't say I didn't like it, very fun modes. Just very off-putting.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Nice review Rob. I like seeing positive reviews. I've never really liked the witch in the tube either. I think Jack had originally planned on somebody making the original melting witch that we all saw first. However that didn't work out so he had Matt whip something up. At least thats what I remember. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.
pappy

I gather this is what that original witch concept looked like:
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/jerseyjack5.html

Baldric

#29 7 years ago

The current witch seems a lot more "bullet proof" than the original concept. Although I wish the tube was a bit less "obvious" (invisitube?)

#30 7 years ago

More random thoughts...

I've not had the "just one more game" feeling this much since the 90s. The game is addictively fun.

WOZ lane lights sometimes double up (both LEDs flashing for skill shot), are slow to respond to lane change, and just seem overly buggy.

Witch needs a top limit stop. If opto power is lost it will run the witch all the way up until it comes out of its track. It then requires disassembly to put back in its track.

Outlane modes still score normal game points, advance modes, and award extra balls/free games.

PCB cage handle screws should be either insulated, made of plastic/nylon, or somehow secured to the top cover. They will work themselves loose over time potentially dropping on the boards shorting something.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

More random thoughts...
I've not had the "just one more game" feeling this much since the 90s. The game is addictively fun.
WOZ lane lights sometimes double up (both LEDs flashing for skill shot), are slow to respond to lane change, and just seem overly buggy.
Witch needs a top limit stop. If opto power is lost it will run the witch all the way up until it comes out of its track. It then requires disassembly to put back in its track.
Outlane modes still score normal game points, advance modes, and award extra balls/free games.
PCB cage handle screws should be either insulated, made of plastic/nylon, or somehow secured to the top cover. They will work themselves loose over time potentially dropping on the boards shorting something.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Rob these are great points. Can you send them to me via PM in aggregate so i can log them.

#32 7 years ago

Hello alex,
news about next update code?
It is always scheduled for the middle of this week?
thank you
seb

#33 7 years ago

The only major issue we had was the ball auto launching for the next player after the previous players ball drained. Odd thing was, it didn't start doing it until about our fourth game, then it would do it half dozen times or so, then stop. It was real hit or miss.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello alex,
news about next update code?
It is always scheduled for the middle of this week?
thank you
seb

Sounds like it should be coming mid week.

#35 7 years ago

What is the Toto ball save you speak of? I played a prototype and just seemed like a wide drain to me.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What is the Toto ball save you speak of? I played a prototype and just seemed like a wide drain to me.

When your ball hits all 4 roll over targets that are shown as t.o.t.o., your drained ball is auto launched and you have a certain amount of time to shoot it up the clear ramp again. If you get it up the ramp, then the play continues with that ball. If you don't get it up the ramp by the set amount of time, the flippers freeze and your ball drains. It's basically another chance. Very cool mode. I think you can have two of those saves per game. Probably adjustable.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The only major issue we had was the ball auto launching for the next player after the previous players ball drained. Odd thing was, it didn't start doing it until about our fourth game, then it would do it half dozen times or so, then stop. It was real hit or miss.

A switch stuck closed or slow on the return causes this. Start with the shooter lane switch and then switches on same row or column.

LTG : )

#38 7 years ago

Thanks, Lloyd. I'll let John know.

This brings up a question. What happens if I'm a WOZ owner and I don't even know what a switch is. Who takes care of my issues?

Quoted from LTG:

A switch stuck closed or slow on the return causes this. Start with the shooter lane switch and then switches on same row or column.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thanks, Lloyd. I'll let John know.
This brings up a question. What happens if I'm a WOZ owner and I don't even know what a switch is. Who takes care of my issues?

Same question for someone who buys any NIB pinball machine without experience. Us support folk walk them through it

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There will be WOZ owners that have never seen or owned a pinball machine.

As Alex posted, we'll get them through it. They will learn more about their game, and enjoy it even more.

I had one recently that took a lot of time. Time well spent when you heard the excitement in his voice when he got through it and was able to enjoy his game.

Same as here on Pinside. People new to pinball start somewhere.

#41 7 years ago

Seriously. What if I don't own a single tool.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Same question for someone who buys any NIB pinball machine without experience. Us support folk walk them through it

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

They either need to buy some tools or they will simply have a huge decoration in their house.
Pinball ownership is not for people that either cannot fix things (and will not learn) or don't have money to constantly pay somebody to fix them.

#44 7 years ago

My point is, let's say I'm an executive, that has neither the time, tools or knowledge to fix some of these issues. What does JJP or Stern, for that matter, do when my game has issues out of the box? I'm certainly not going to fix my new refrigerator if something is wrong when it gets delivered.

Quoted from DCFAN:

They either need to buy some tools or they will simply have a huge decoration in their house.
Pinball ownership is not for people that either cannot fix things (and will not learn) or don't have money to constantly pay somebody to fix them.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My point is, let's say I'm an executive, that has neither the time, tools or knowledge to fix some of these issues. What does JJP or Stern, for that matter, do when my game has issues out of the box? I'm certainly not going to fix my new refrigerator if something is wrong when it gets delivered.

We occasionally will do onsite service or send a local person who we know can fix the problem as long as it's within warranty. That's what we do but i don't know if stern does the same.

If it was a local NYC person I would likely head over and help fix if it really can't be fixed over the phone but I'm an executive and I have tools Plenty of them.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

What does JJP or Stern, for that matter, do when my game has issues out of the box?

If it's a warranty issue, Stern will tell you to contact your distributor. If it's out of warranty, they show you the link below.

http://www.sternpinball.com/links.shtml#Repairs

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Thanks heavens I'm in the "B" catagory....

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Already happened.

Already dealt with.

And one happy camper enjoying their WOZ.

Next.

Disclaimer : I'm but a small part of the JJP crew making your pinball experience better.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Join pinside and talk about leds of course.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Well Mr. Executive PinFoots. Call this guy...

www.LockWhenLit.com

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hershey, PA
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside