(Topic ID: 172229)

Woodworkers - Shop Features - What cha got?!

By pinball_faz

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Router Table (resized).jpg
Sandpaper Cutter1 (resized).jpg
Sandpaper Cutter2 (resized).jpg
Router Spindown Block (resized).jpg
DrillPressStation (resized).jpg
PowerStation (resized).jpg
MorePowerScotty! (resized).jpg
MorePower (resized).jpg
30628794705_3fb77ea030_b (resized).jpg
BenchLift (resized).jpg
BenchFront (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have been woodworking for the last 30 years or so. Over the years, I've created a few gizmos are are IMHO pretty cool.

Let's see what you got too.

Here's the first item... The Bench!
BenchFront (resized).jpgBenchFront (resized).jpg

I designed/built this myself. A back-splash keeps items rolling off the back. Two layers of MDF for flatness and also, replaceable. I can unscrew a layer and put on a new one easily if it gets damaged. Heavy duty to stay put, but there's wheels on the back. To move, I have a hinge mounted on the front of the bench. The board laying in the front has the mating hinge with a while at the fulcrum. I leave it detached under the bench most of the time. But, if I need to move the bench, I just put the hinge pin in and push down on the board. I can easily wheel it about (to find screws ), sweep or whatever. There's three wheels in the back: solid steel with 3/4" shaft. I believe they are rated at 600lbs each....

Under the front you can barely see kickplates (pull outs from my employers old computer room). They are just wedged in there, but it keeps anything from shooting under there if I drop something. I pulled the center out to demo the lift.

There's also an overhead fluorescent and two swing arm lamps built into the table. The white one up front has a magnifying lens attached because ... I need it

The general vice on the corner I have is a beast I picked up at a garage sale for $5.

More to come.
faz

BenchLift (resized).jpgBenchLift (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Last cool thing I built was these frames for my modular synth. Should have made them with better quality ply cause now that all the modules are in they aren't coming back apart haha!

Eventually I plan to build a Star Wars arcade style cockpit to house these for full pretend spaceship mode.

30628794705_3fb77ea030_b (resized).jpg30628794705_3fb77ea030_b (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Power is pretty important too.

When the house was built, there was one circuit for all the lights in the basement. I added five more when I finished the basement four more to my shop. There's outlets every four feet or so with the circuits skipping over each other. So, the circuits flip from box to box A, B, C, A, B, C. So, the overhead light is the original circuit and "A","B","C" are the next three.. where's the other. That's the 220 line... I still have nothing on it, but its run to my shop ready to go.

The box with the padlock hanging off it controls all four of the circuits. Single pole multi-throw. All is disabled with one swipe and padlocked when I'm not in the shop. The kids always new better than to go playing in my shop but this gave me extra piece of mind.

The BA power strip runs across the front of my bench. Not to give me a stupid amount of outlets but to give me outlets wherever I happen to be on my bench. I really don't like mixing sharp tools and power cords draping across them. I put in child safety plugs to keep the ones I'm not using free of dust.

faz

MorePower (resized).jpgMorePower (resized).jpg

MorePowerScotty! (resized).jpgMorePowerScotty! (resized).jpg

PowerStation (resized).jpgPowerStation (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

From Wood Magazine. Feb 1996. The drill press work table.

Finding the proper track was not the easiest thing. Most track material is aluminum. I wanted steel as IMO the aluminum is too brittle; steel has more give. Got the stuff recommended in the magazine from an electrical contractor supply house.

DrillPressStation (resized).jpgDrillPressStation (resized).jpg
faz

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

Here's another few...

The Router Spindown Block. The simplicity is comical but it works really well. I bored a hold in a piece of 2x6.

When I'm using my router for hand operations I always a problem with "what to do with a the router after the cut". The bit takes a few seconds to spin down. This is a place to set the router down during the final moments of spin down. It also allows the router to be set down a flat surface without having to lay it on it's side.

Router Spindown Block (resized).jpgRouter Spindown Block (resized).jpg

This is a Sandpaper Cutter I made out of a few pieces of scrap steel. I put a square edge on it to sharpen the cut. It's a mini- paper guillotine... just the size of the 1/4 sheet sander I have. I lay the paper down on a white area (an old sheet of sticky paper guides the size and gives a little bite to hold in place. I pull out the paper, lay it to the edge of the white set the sander on top to hold it down and pull the handle. Perfect exact cut every time and it's very quick.

Sandpaper Cutter1 (resized).jpgSandpaper Cutter1 (resized).jpg
Sandpaper Cutter2 (resized).jpgSandpaper Cutter2 (resized).jpg

faz

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from pigeonfarmboy:

Last cool thing I built was these frames for my modular synth. Should have made them with better quality ply cause now that all the modules are in they aren't coming back apart haha!
Eventually I plan to build a Star Wars arcade style cockpit to house these for full pretend spaceship mode.

WHAT. The. Heck. Is that....??? I've never seen anything like that before. I have no idea what that is, what it does, or how it works. But I totally want one!!!

3 weeks later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

WHAT. The. Heck. Is that....??? I've never seen anything like that before. I have no idea what that is, what it does, or how it works. But I totally want one!!!

It's a Eurorack format modular synthesizer. The user picks and chooses what modules to make up a system. Each module has a different function. Sound sources, sequencers, reverb, mixers. When you push a key on a Casio keyboard for example, it's already hard-wired to play a sound. This uses patch cables to customize the sounds made. It even plays itself if programmed to do so.

#8 7 years ago

Pretty cool work place Faz. I need to make a work bench at home. Maybe I'll take some pics of the shop I work at for you to peruse. I know you're shop is giving me ideas. I see you use Klingspor sandpaper. That's what we use in the shop. Though I think 3M was the best, it's cost was prohibitive.

Do you have a woodworking background or just like to tinker?

#9 7 years ago

I've been woodworking for about 30 years. I WAS going to create a thread about projects, but given the responses on this thread there does not seem to be interest.

Projects include:
Step stools
Toys for kids
Small boxes for the wife
Futon
Bunk Beds
Book Cases
Cabinets - these look pretty sweet as I used a mission style with dark stain
Twin cabinet/wainscot around fireplace... this was cool too as the panels in the wainscot are held in by velcro so all the wires can run in chases behind.
Many shop jigs/tools
Many frames

Advanced restoration
My old desk as a kid was solid pecan but one of the legs was broken in an evil way during a move. I had to rebuild the legs and the table framing.
Old oaktop table had big checks/gouges. After I fixed the structure, I inlaid a few dutchmen into the top to cover the damage.

Hmm. after seeing all this written down. I think I'll start that thread w/pics
faz

#10 7 years ago

Mission style? Is that like shaker?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I've been woodworking for about 30 years. I WAS going to create a thread about projects, but given the responses on this thread there does not seem to be interest.
Projects include:
Step stools
Toys for kids
Small boxes for the wife
Futon
Bunk Beds
Book Cases
Cabinets - these look pretty sweet as I used a mission style with dark stain
Twin cabinet/wainscot around fireplace... this was cool too as the panels in the wainscot are held in by velcro so all the wires can run in chases behind.
Many shop jigs/tools
Many frames
Advanced restoration
My old desk as a kid was solid pecan but one of the legs was broken in an evil way during a move. I had to rebuild the legs and the table framing.
Old oaktop table had big checks/gouges. After I fixed the structure, I inlaid a few dutchmen into the top to cover the damage.
Hmm. after seeing all this written down. I think I'll start that thread w/pics
faz

I for one am very interested in woodworking. I love reading about shops, tools, and different woodworking projects. I don't do a whole lot myself right now, but would like to do more in the future.

#12 7 years ago

My neighborhood had a original builder option of a detached two car garage, on top of whatever garage setup the house may have as well. Long story short is we didn't have to get approval for what looks like a detached 2-car garage. 25x25 exterior, 2x6 studs (same as the house), super insulation, skylights (during the day I never even turn the lights on), 3 zones of 2 or 3 shop lights, insulated garage door, 200 amp service with 2x 50A 240 plugs, bathroom, mini fridge, vapor barrier flooring with a painted plywood top. so much nicer than standing on concrete.

My dad has been doing woodworking for a long time. He has a nice Shopsmith with lots of attachments. I have an 11x36 metal lathe in there (the reason we put in 240V). I have a table and a simple fixture I built so I can put playfields on and wheel it outside to spray clear. There is an unrestored High Speed in the shop right now waiting for me to finish the to do list on Taxi, then HS will be started.

I'll try to remember to get some pics later. Going to like this thread I think.

In the near future, dad and I will start cutting wood to make a cab and head. Working on a Pokémon pin for my 7YO.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Mission style? Is that like shaker?

Well "mission" is what I call it
I'll toss some pics out there... you can be the judge.

Here's someones thoughtful comparison.
http://www.amishoutletstore.com/blog/shaker-vs-mission-styles/

faz

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Well "mission" is what I call it
I'll toss some pics out there... you can be the judge.
Here's someones thoughtful comparison.
http://www.amishoutletstore.com/blog/shaker-vs-mission-styles/
faz

I'm still lost from that link. lol

We make cabinet doors. Shaker is just a flat panel with a rounded rail. No profile on the rails and no raised panel. Sometimes we'll do beaded panels with a shaker rail. I don't know much about furniture terms.

#15 7 years ago

I just came upstairs from working on a mahogany bedside table. Been making furniture for a good many years...everything from reproductions to big egg nest to kitchen cabinets to shuffleboard table.

I've discovered the one foolproof indicator of a woodworker is: How many and what type of clamps do you have. I think I have a lot (over 50 including bar, bessey, C, cam, spring, pipe, band, etc.) until I see someone's shop with a dozen racks filled with every size imaginable. Man, if I only had the space!

#16 7 years ago

I think a projects thread would be fun to follow.

I'm interested in how you all store wood. I've been going with "pile it in a corner" but could use a better organization system.

#18 7 years ago

This is my router table.

The top is straight from Rockler but the rest I built from 1" plywood. I added the dust collector frame myself (it's a tin can).

Power is supplied to the table via a safety switch on the side; supplies power from a long cord. The whole thing is on casters so it can get stashed out of the way or brought into the center for large pieces of wood or access to the dust collector.

Router Table (resized).jpgRouter Table (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodworkers-shop-features-what-cha-got and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.